Manipulation, Bleed, Player-Characters, and the Purpose of Mafia

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
Gamma Emerald
Gamma Emerald
Any
Survivor
Gamma Emerald
Any
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: Any

Post Post #15 (isolation #0) » Mon Apr 29, 2024 7:28 pm

Post by Gamma Emerald »

Taking what I was about to post in the moderation feedback thread and posting it here

I may be reading the wrong thing into this post but:
In post 4401, Thestatusquo wrote: For instance, a similar argument can be (and was!) made frequently in response to our sitewide decision to do away with the word "lynch" and this rule continues to this day to cause confusion among both new (from other sites especially) and returning users.

We deal with these bits of confusion in the same way, with reach outs, escalated to warnings if users do not heed the reach outs, followed by bans if they continue to persist.

99% of the time this conversation ends after the reach out. The result is we have almost no one saying that word on the site anymore outside of some genuine slip ups.

Gaslighting as a word in game is being handled in the exact same way.
This feels like trying to fit a square peg in a round hole. As I see it, the L-word was used as a setpiece to explain how voting people out removed them from the game. It was easily replaced when the issue came up, because set dressing is easily replaceable. Gaslighting I don’t think is really comparable, as it relates to actions within the game. If you were to try to express the idea through other words, I feel like it would be muddled.
I guess my takeaway is “I don’t think treating usage of both words the exact same is fair because one is essentially a conscious choice to be an ass, and one is potentially a lack of any other effective way to describe a scenario”.
<Embrace The Void>

“A flipped coin doesn't always land heads or tails. Sometimes it may never land at all...”
Gamma Emerald
Gamma Emerald
Any
Survivor
Gamma Emerald
Any
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: Any

Post Post #66 (isolation #1) » Tue Apr 30, 2024 11:36 am

Post by Gamma Emerald »

In post 18, Lycanfire wrote: I don't think it's possible to abuse someone by misrepresenting facts in a mafia game.
I don’t want to get into details, but this is wrong in my personal experience.
<Embrace The Void>

“A flipped coin doesn't always land heads or tails. Sometimes it may never land at all...”

Return to “Mafia Discussion”