JOAT uPick | FIN!

Large Theme Games (based on source material and/or changes to mechanics/rules)
(14+ players)
. Signup Threads In Queue Forum
fferyllt
fferyllt
Titan of Trajectory
fferyllt
Titan of Trajectory
Titan of Trajectory

JOAT uPick | FIN!

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Sun Jan 21, 2024 10:02 am

Post by fferyllt »

Workers of all trades and professions have finally had enough of oligarchs, megacorps and governments grinding them down to dust. The call is out! It's time for a general strike. Marching. Picket lines everywhere. No working, no buying. No selling. No AI. No compromising at the negotiating table. No economic activity at all. Companies thought the COVID-19 Lockdown was bad for business? This strike will be 1000% worse!

Be ready! There will be union busting. There will be scabs. There could even be deadly violence against workers. You name it and if it can bring the world's workers back to heel, it's optimal employer practice. Just ask the "job creators".

JOAT uPick

A 17 Player Large Theme Game

Designer and Moderator: fferyllt
Co-Moderator: Prism
Reviewers: Syryana & Prism

Players
  1. Bell

2. Joyboy

3. Dunnstral

4. MariaR
    Maid Cafe (hydra of MariaR and Beeboy)

5. HolySpiritTurtle

6. Laplacian

7. Hu Tao

8. Doctor Drew
    greedant

9. PookyTheMagicalBear

10. Firebringer

11. Sakura Hana

12. Cabd
    LadyTerminallyOffline

13. Relativistic Harmony
    (hydra of TemporalLich and RH9)
  14. light_ganski
  15. lemon.tangerine

16. Titus

17. Ircher
bold
- confirmed
- prodded

In the Streets

Spoiler:

Bell
Dunnstral
HolySpiritTurtle
Laplacian
Doctor Drew
PookyTheMagicalBear
Cabd

Fallen Behind

Spoiler:
Relativistic Harmony,
JOAT Union Buster
, eliminated on
Firebringer,
JOAT Union Member
, died on
Hu Tao,
JOAT Union Buster
, eliminated on
Sakura Hana,
JOAT Union Member
, died on
Joyboy,
JOAT Union Member
, died on
Titus,
JOAT Union Member
, died on
light_ganski,
JOAT Union Buster
, eliminated on
Ircher,
JOAT Union Member
, eliminated on
lemon.tangerine,
JOAT Union Member
, eliminated on
MariaR,
JOAT Union Buster
, eliminated on

On the Sidelines (spectators)

Spoiler:
  • borkjerfkin
  • Ydrasse
  • Spiffeh
  • lucca261
  • PartyBoat

Last edited by fferyllt on Thu Mar 07, 2024 5:09 pm, edited 27 times in total.
Amid the pressure of great events, a general principle gives no help.

Idic
fferyllt
fferyllt
Titan of Trajectory
fferyllt
Titan of Trajectory
Titan of Trajectory

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Sun Jan 21, 2024 10:26 am

Post by fferyllt »

The JOAT uPick Design Process

My goal is to complete this uPick design and have reviewer sign-off within 7 days from Jan 21
. This goal has become unattainable due to several real life happenings. All good things, but all time consuming! New goal is Jan 31 or sooner.

• Players choose up to 6 1-shot abilities -- COMPLETED

• Alignments are randomly rolled. -- COMPLETED

• Players' 1-shot picks are reviewed, narrowed down, and modified as needed for game balance and swing mitigation (~snort~). -- LAST PASS COMPLETED

• Role Cards are drafted and reviewed. -- COMPLETED

• Any additional mechanics are considered/drafted -- COMPLETED

• Role Cards are finalized - COMPLETED

• Game-specific rules are drafted and reviewed -- COMPLETED

• Game narrative and flavor is finalized -- COMPLETED

• One final review of everything -- COMPLETED

Idic
fferyllt
fferyllt
Titan of Trajectory
fferyllt
Titan of Trajectory
Titan of Trajectory

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Wed Jan 31, 2024 5:25 pm

Post by fferyllt »

General Rules:

In-Game Behavior

Site Rules are in effect. Please familiarize yourself and follow them.

2. Posts consisting purely of insults without game content are not tolerated. I penalize such posts with a strike. Three strikes and you'll be replaced. Severe issues will be reported to the listmods.

3. Claiming scum is allowed. Claiming scum with another player (whether as a joke or not) will result in severe consequences for you, and consequences for your team.

4. Play towards your win condition. Gambits are fine, directly harming your own team is not.

5. Loophole abuse is not tolerated.

6. Have fun!

Voting and Deadlines:

1. Voting must be bolded in the form
Vote: Player
- bold tags

Code: Select all

[b]Vote: Player[/b]
or

VOTE: Player vote tags

Code: Select all

[vote]Player[/vote]

or else they will not be counted. Unvotes are not required to change your vote, but they are helpful.

2. Votes inside of spoiler tags will not be counted.

3. I don't mind if you use nicknames/abbreviations when you vote someone. But if I have no idea who you're voting for, then the vote won't be counted. If you notice that your vote hasn't been recorded, please let me know.

4. Eliminations require a majority of votes: (number of living players/2) +1, rounded down. Votes for no elimination will be counted, and a majority of votes for no elimination will end the game day with no elimination.

5. If there's no majority at deadline, there's no elimination.

6. When the hammer vote is cast, all players, including the eliminated may talk freely until the final vote count and eliminated player's card-flip have been posted. If the thread is not locked, it's ok for you to post unless I've specified that it is not ok.

7. Day 1 Deadline is 10 days. Subsequent Deadlines are set at 7 days. Extensions may be granted if there are replacements near deadline, or under other extraordinary circumstances (e.g., site outages, major holidays).

8. Nights will last 48+ hours, rounded up to the nearest midnight or noon US Eastern Time.

Prods and Replacements:

Replacing Out: If you need to replace out of this game, send me a private message about it. Do NOT post that you want to be replaced, or that you have asked to be replaced in the game thread.

I will acknowledge your replacement request by replying to your PM. From that time forward, you are out of the game. Do not make any more posts in the game thread.

This is a site rule that can entail penalties if broken. It applies to all mafia games at Mafiascum.net unless the game moderator explicitly states otherwise.

1. Prods will be given to playerfs who have not posted in
48 hours

2. You will be replaced if you either do not respond to a prod, or (at my discretion) if you need to be prodded more than 3 times total. You may request for a player to be prodded at any time. Prods requested when a player has been absent for less than 48 hours do not count for replacement purposes.

If you are V/LA (on vacation/have limited access), make sure I know. If you are V/LA for more than 5 days, I suggest requesting replacement, but it's not required, unless you are not able to post at all. If a lengthy V/LA is adversely affecting the game (e.g., if you are not able to post minimally during that time), then I may replace you without penalty.

Misc.

1. Dark Blue (#004080) is the color I will use for mod posts. Please don’t use this color or otherwise try to make your posts look like mod posts.

2. You can talk about the game in the private threads given to you by me via PM, assuming you were given one. Otherwise, please refrain from talking about this game outside of this thread, and don't talk about other games inside of this game thread. This is a sitewide rule. See announcement here.

3. No editing, deleting, using invisible texts, writing in code, using font sizes less than 70, etc...

4. Don't quote or reproduce any mod-received PMs or other private communications with me. Paraphrasing is permitted. Check with me if you're not sure whether something you want to post is within the rules.

5. Vocaroos, Youtubes, etc, may not be used to make game-content posts. e.g., do not record a vacoroo with your thoughts about the game and post it.

6. I make mistakes. If you notice I make one, please let me know. For vote count mistakes you can let me know in the thread. For ANY OTHER mistake you believe I made, send me a PM.

7. Questions are vastly preferable to Modkills. If you're thinking about doing or posting something that you're unsure is within the letter or spirit of these rules and the game of mafia, then ask me privately about it first.

All
private threads inhabited by two or more slots will explicitly not be redacted. Post accordingly.

Game-Specific Rules

1. Rolecards will be fully flipped.

2. Unless your Role PM explicitly says otherwise, you cannot self-target with your 1-shot abilities.

3. Unless your Role PM explicitly says otherwise, you cannot multitask (use more than one ability during a day or night phase).

4. 1-Shot actions that are blocked will be refunded. 1-Shot actions that fail for any other reason are expended, unless your Role PM explicitly says otherwise

5. This is not a bullet hell game. There will be no more than 2 deaths per game day, including the elimination. Possible day ends are 1 elimination; 1 elimination and one day-kill of any sort; or 2 day-kills of any sort with no elimination.

6. Your ability to influence the game may not immediately end with your death. If this is the case, you will not obtain access to the dead/spectator thread. If you become well and truly out of the game, you will gain access to the dead thread at that time.

Idic
fferyllt
fferyllt
Titan of Trajectory
fferyllt
Titan of Trajectory
Titan of Trajectory

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Wed Jan 31, 2024 5:33 pm

Post by fferyllt »

Sample Role PM
Welcome, Prism!

You were part of the Youth movement who protested against government policies leading to low employment and poverty in urban areas of Mongolia. The police were unspeakably brutal, but the government actually paid attention and many of your demands were met. But, it was not enough. Completely surrounded by two superpowers and economically dependent on trade with them, Mongolia's economy still doesn't deliver for ordinary people. It's time to regroup, join hands with other labor activists, unions and movements around the globe and lift Mongolia's workers into their rightful place among nations! Beware, though. There are rumors that Union Busters are working against you!

You are a labor activist and
JOAT Union Member
with the following abilities:
  • 1-shot Doomed Loud Novice Self-Sensor:
    On any day after Day 1, you can choose a wagon that forms on you to learn how many town were on the wagon when it was at its largest. The results of your self-sensor will be posted publicly by me at the start of the Night Phase. When you use your Self Sensor, you will die at the end of the following day phase.
  • 1-shot Cowardly Reporter:
    Once at night you can choose to check a player's house and learn if they are at home, OR you can choose to stay in the newsroom (Commute).
Win Condition:

You win when all the
Union Busters
have been eliminated or nothing can prevent that from happening.

To CONFIRM, please reply to this PM and quote the 4th Game Specific Rule as posted in the Game thread.

Idic
fferyllt
fferyllt
Titan of Trajectory
fferyllt
Titan of Trajectory
Titan of Trajectory

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Wed Jan 31, 2024 5:41 pm

Post by fferyllt »

As is the norm with uPick games, JOAT uPick is role madness. There are no vanilla town roles in the game. There is no guarantee that each 1-shot ability is a unique snowflake in every particular.

The reviewers have concluded this game is a chaotic, swingy mess. It's what you asked for, and we hope we have delivered exactly the wild ride you ordered!

I will update this post with Confirmation Phase status, so check back occasionally if you're curious about progress!

Role PMs
are going out now
have all gone out. There are instructions on how to confirm at the bottom of your role PM. Once at least 13 of 17 players have confirmed, the game will begin!

If you would like a personal or hydra private thread for keeping notes in this game, please let me know and I'll be glad to set you up!

16 of 17 players have confirmed!

Idic
fferyllt
fferyllt
Titan of Trajectory
fferyllt
Titan of Trajectory
Titan of Trajectory

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Thu Feb 01, 2024 9:44 am

Post by fferyllt »

Day One will start at 7:00 PM US Eastern Time.

(expired on 2024-02-01 16:00:00)

Idic
fferyllt
fferyllt
Titan of Trajectory
fferyllt
Titan of Trajectory
Titan of Trajectory

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Thu Feb 01, 2024 12:54 pm

Post by fferyllt »

I have been asked to confirm if this game design is still not bastard, as it was advertised in the Theme Queue.

There are no cults, mod lies, or bastard abilities in the game.

Idic
fferyllt
fferyllt
Titan of Trajectory
fferyllt
Titan of Trajectory
Titan of Trajectory

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Thu Feb 01, 2024 12:55 pm

Post by fferyllt »

One great thing about the Pandemic: now everybody uses Zoom and Zoom is available worldwide. It's made planning this strike so much easier. It's not fail-safe secure, but we save the secretive discussions for cutting edge encrypted message spaces. The fully coordinated strike begins today!

It's great to see so many enthusiastic, experienced, charismatic and capable faces on your monitor. There are a few participants who have their cameras turned off, but that is to be expected. Some of the countries participating in the strike planning work in extremely hostile circumstances.

We're set to settle down, officially call the strike and glue ourselves to social media to see how it rolls out!

Idic
fferyllt
fferyllt
Titan of Trajectory
fferyllt
Titan of Trajectory
Titan of Trajectory

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Thu Feb 01, 2024 12:58 pm

Post by fferyllt »

VC 1.0
Day 1 Begins!

Did you know the first workers' strike in recorded history occurred in Ancient Egypt beginning in 1159 BCE?

Not Voting (17):
Bell, Joyboy, Dunnstral, Maid Cafe, HolySpiritTurtle, Laplacian, Hu Tao, greedant, PookyTheMagicalBear, Firebringer, Sakura Hana, LadyTerminallyOffline, Relativistic Harmony, light_ganski, lemon.tangerine, Titus, Ircher

With 17 alive it takes 9 votes to eliminate

Deadline: February 11, Midnight US Eastern Time

countdown: (expired on 2024-02-11 21:00:00)

Mod Notes
  • light_ganski has not confirmed yet. She has 24 hours from the time of this post to confirm or I will seek a replacement
  • If you see an error in this or any other vote count please let me know
  • :]

Idic
Bell
Bell
He/him
Sharp Note
Bell
He/him
Sharp Note
Sharp Note
Pronoun: He/him

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Thu Feb 01, 2024 12:58 pm

Post by Bell »

First
LadyTerminallyOffline
LadyTerminallyOffline
she/her
Goon
LadyTerminallyOffline
she/her
Goon
Goon
Pronoun: she/her

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Thu Feb 01, 2024 12:59 pm

Post by LadyTerminallyOffline »

Hi all, and nice to meet you. Except the person who posted before me.

I'm very excited to be here, the mod was generous enough in accepting my play (some from another site that no longer fully exists outside of archive.org) and some other data to let me join everyone.

I lead a very busy life, so I fully admit that I'm a touch concerned with keeping up given the few games I skimmed before signing up seemed to be very large in page count. But, I'm confident I'll have fun and do my best anyways.

I did want to go ahead and guide discussion towards the uniqueness of a bunch of known one-shot roles, and how that might warp the midgame? Specifically, I think this makes day four or so the more appropriate venue for a massclaim, but that does operate around the assumption that most everyone is going to be firing off their roles early. Additionally, since all investigative are by definition one-shots, is there any reason NOT to have a start-of-day mass hypo-claim? I'm not sure how one would handle lighter investigative roles, and protective ones. I'm also curious as to how everyone thinks we should approach refunded shots? As in, if your shot is refunded, do you claim that without claiming what the item refunded was? Should we just stay silent? Should we full claim everything that was blocked and refunded? My thoughts are less settled there.

Oh and uh, VOTE: Lemon.Tangerine for being one more citrus than I can handle.
I don't want to subscribe to your new posts.
Bell
Bell
He/him
Sharp Note
Bell
He/him
Sharp Note
Sharp Note

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Thu Feb 01, 2024 12:59 pm

Post by Bell »

I have one ability that takes another player and myself out of the game for one day. If you have something that benefits from that, share.
Hu Tao
Hu Tao
she/her
Jack of All Trades
Hu Tao
she/her
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: she/her

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Thu Feb 01, 2024 12:59 pm

Post by Hu Tao »

Hi.
Titus
Titus
She/her
Moon Walker
Titus
She/her
Moon Walker
Moon Walker
Pronoun: She/her

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Thu Feb 01, 2024 1:00 pm

Post by Titus »

As a note, I am not feeling well IRL. Any accidental gibberish is brain related. Let's have a nice and wholesome game.

Bell, I do not.
Show
The scum had the misfortune of Titus being absurdly accurate on day one.Really quite impressed by that.~Drixx

You're letting Titus win the game by herself.Good luck now I guess.You have no chance to win.~Tywin

GTKTitus Part 2
Titus Academy

VLA Friday nights until Sunday morning.

All hail the Scum Empress!
fferyllt
fferyllt
Titan of Trajectory
fferyllt
Titan of Trajectory
Titan of Trajectory

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Thu Feb 01, 2024 1:01 pm

Post by fferyllt »

greedant has requested replacement...searching

Idic
Firebringer
Firebringer
Trail Blazer
Firebringer
Trail Blazer
Trail Blazer

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Thu Feb 01, 2024 1:02 pm

Post by Firebringer »

In post 14, fferyllt wrote:
greedant has requested replacement...searching
new record
Show
"You are the Joker of mafia players" - Oversoul
"last time I was scum with Firebringer
his first post in the scum PT was "yes I rolled scum!"
I decided to post "haha just don't post that in the main thread", but to get up to date on the main thread first.

His first post in the main thread was "yes I rolled scum!" -popsofctown
Ircher
Ircher
He / Him / His
What A Grand Idea
Ircher
He / Him / His
What A Grand Idea
What A Grand Idea
Pronoun: He / Him / His

Post Post #16 (ISO) » Thu Feb 01, 2024 1:03 pm

Post by Ircher »

VOTE: Maid Cafe
Links: User Page | GTKAS
Do you have questions, ideas, or feedback for the Scummies? Please pm me!
PookyTheMagicalBear
PookyTheMagicalBear
Pooky got your back
PookyTheMagicalBear
Pooky got your back
Pooky got your back

Post Post #17 (ISO) » Thu Feb 01, 2024 1:03 pm

Post by PookyTheMagicalBear »

i am striking against the capitalist overlords by refusing to produce content without compensation
Show
"I hope one day I can openly play as wolfy as Pooky and get zero pressure for it grumble grumble."
-MariaR

"I can't even look at the game anymore.
That evil teddy bear has got everyone twirling by his thumb.
It's like witnessing an slow but unavoidable train crash you can't stop."

-Norwee
Bell
Bell
He/him
Sharp Note
Bell
He/him
Sharp Note
Sharp Note

Post Post #18 (ISO) » Thu Feb 01, 2024 1:04 pm

Post by Bell »

Makes sense.
Titus
Titus
She/her
Moon Walker
Titus
She/her
Moon Walker
Moon Walker

Post Post #19 (ISO) » Thu Feb 01, 2024 1:04 pm

Post by Titus »

In post 10, LadyTerminallyOffline wrote: Hi all, and nice to meet you. Except the person who posted before me.

I'm very excited to be here, the mod was generous enough in accepting my play (some from another site that no longer fully exists outside of archive.org) and some other data to let me join everyone.

I lead a very busy life, so I fully admit that I'm a touch concerned with keeping up given the few games I skimmed before signing up seemed to be very large in page count. But, I'm confident I'll have fun and do my best anyways.

I did want to go ahead and guide discussion towards the uniqueness of a bunch of known one-shot roles, and how that might warp the midgame? Specifically, I think this makes day four or so the more appropriate venue for a massclaim, but that does operate around the assumption that most everyone is going to be firing off their roles early. Additionally, since all investigative are by definition one-shots, is there any reason NOT to have a start-of-day mass hypo-claim? I'm not sure how one would handle lighter investigative roles, and protective ones. I'm also curious as to how everyone thinks we should approach refunded shots? As in, if your shot is refunded, do you claim that without claiming what the item refunded was? Should we just stay silent? Should we full claim everything that was blocked and refunded? My thoughts are less settled there.

Oh and uh, VOTE: Lemon.Tangerine for being one more citrus than I can handle.
I'll get back to you on this.

As of now, I have one role that absolutely should not fire night 1 and one that I probably will. However, I'm not a fan of mass hypo claiming. Let's passively get to know each other and coordinate that way.

Nice to meet you.

Can you describe the type of roles on your site?
Show
The scum had the misfortune of Titus being absurdly accurate on day one.Really quite impressed by that.~Drixx

You're letting Titus win the game by herself.Good luck now I guess.You have no chance to win.~Tywin

GTKTitus Part 2
Titus Academy

Titus
Titus
She/her
Moon Walker
Titus
She/her
Moon Walker
Moon Walker

Post Post #20 (ISO) » Thu Feb 01, 2024 1:04 pm

Post by Titus »

In post 17, PookyTheMagicalBear wrote: i am striking against the capitalist overlords by refusing to produce content without compensation
Can a hug count as compensation? Your avatar looks so hugable.
Show

GTKTitus Part 2
Titus Academy

Relativistic Harmony
Relativistic Harmony
they/them
Goon
Relativistic Harmony
they/them
Goon
Goon
Pronoun: they/them

Post Post #21 (ISO) » Thu Feb 01, 2024 1:06 pm

Post by Relativistic Harmony »

Welcome to the aether

VOTE: Sakura Hana

-TL
Hydra of TemporalLich and RH9
Sakura Hana
Sakura Hana
She/Her
Survivor
Sakura Hana
She/Her
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: She/Her

Post Post #22 (ISO) » Thu Feb 01, 2024 1:06 pm

Post by Sakura Hana »

Nice it begins
VOTE: Firepup

Warning in advance that im playing Infinite Wealth and atm my time for mafia is very limited, but i'll try to read and post at least once a day
I bloom in spring?
Please be nice to me.
PookyTheMagicalBear
PookyTheMagicalBear
Pooky got your back
PookyTheMagicalBear
Pooky got your back
Pooky got your back

Post Post #23 (ISO) » Thu Feb 01, 2024 1:07 pm

In post 20, Titus wrote:
In post 17, PookyTheMagicalBear wrote: i am striking against the capitalist overlords by refusing to produce content without compensation
Can a hug count as compensation? Your avatar looks so hugable.

titus is a capitalist overlord she is trying to compensate me

gottem
Show
"I hope one day I can openly play as wolfy as Pooky and get zero pressure for it grumble grumble."
-MariaR

-Norwee
PookyTheMagicalBear
PookyTheMagicalBear
Pooky got your back
PookyTheMagicalBear
Pooky got your back
Pooky got your back

Post Post #24 (ISO) » Thu Feb 01, 2024 1:08 pm

In post 22, Sakura Hana wrote: Nice it begins
VOTE: Firepup

Warning in advance that im playing Infinite Wealth and atm my time for mafia is very limited, but i'll try to read and post at least once a day
shocking
Show
-MariaR

-Norwee

Return to “Theme Park [Large Theme Games]”