Can mods expect certain things from multi-heads?

This forum is for discussion related to the game.

Pick one.

They can't expect any of this.
5%
I
2%
II
No votes
III
9%
I & II
7%
I & III
2%
II & III
2%
I-III
52%
/cows
20%

Total votes: 44

xyzzy
xyzzy
they/them
comical third option
xyzzy
they/them
comical third option
comical third option
Pronoun: they/them

Can mods expect certain things from multi-heads?

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Sun Jun 15, 2008 9:26 am

Post by xyzzy »

Which of the following can mods expect of players in multi-headed games?

I. Confirmation of a list of who is in the game under a particular account.
II. Confirmation from all players on the account that they are in fact on the account.
III. Guarantee that the game will be discussed in a location completely unavailable to any non-members.
Guardian
Guardian
Mafia Scum
Guardian
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Sun Jun 15, 2008 9:27 am

Post by Guardian »

1-3 definitely seems reasonable.

And I think it is mod's prerogative to allow multi-heading at all.
Do not lynch me.
[wiki]Great Nibbler Takeover of 2008[/wiki]
armlx
armlx
Most JDTay-like
armlx
Most JDTay-like
Most JDTay-like

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Sun Jun 15, 2008 9:29 am

Post by armlx »

Which of the following can a player in a multi-headed account expect from the mod?

I. That their actual identity will not be revealed.
II. The mod will actually trust them to follow the basic rules of the game.
III. That the mod will not single them out and try to debase their presence in the game based on personal reasons.
Away Wednesday the 24th through the 31st
Porochaz
Porochaz
Oh, Prozac
Porochaz
Oh, Prozac
Oh, Prozac

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Sun Jun 15, 2008 9:29 am

Post by Porochaz »

I agree with you but I feel that posting the list up of the players publicly is wrong, which you dont have an option for.
Mostly retired. Unless you ask or it's something interesting.
scotmany12
scotmany12
Mafia Scum
scotmany12
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Sun Jun 15, 2008 9:30 am

Post by scotmany12 »

This thread fails...
Brutal Assassin
Brutal Assassin
Goon
Brutal Assassin
Goon
Goon

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Sun Jun 15, 2008 9:34 am

Post by Brutal Assassin »

Context wins.
Ether
Ether
Lyrical Rampage
Ether
Lyrical Rampage
Lyrical Rampage
Pronoun:

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Sun Jun 15, 2008 9:36 am

Post by Ether »

I & II should be completely obvious, and yes, the names should be public knowledge. (I might be biased here; I'm in the anti-alt camp.) III, not really. I've had access to the QuickTopics of scum in at least one game I didn't belong to--I myself was not playing, obviously. And rantbuddies aren't exactly an underground movement--I mean, Patrick has a title for all the emotional support.

If a mod made a specific request over III, sure, I guess, but it seems arbitrary.

By the way, I think 10-player hydras are ridiculous and wouldn't consider any mod a square for banning them.
As I move my vote
Towards your wagon, town is taking note
It fills my head up and gets louder and
LOUDER
Megatron
Megatron
Goon
Megatron
Goon
Goon

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Sun Jun 15, 2008 9:38 am

Post by Megatron »

Honestly if you can't expect all 3 then you should not allow multiheading
F*** the autobots
Xdaamno
Xdaamno
I love you
Xdaamno
I love you
I love you

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Sun Jun 15, 2008 9:40 am

Post by Xdaamno »

The mod should make sure all players in the hydra are aware no other players should be involved in their discussion, even if it's just a quick IM in scumchat. The other two should automatically be expected.

EDIT: Though, for the poll, I chose I-III. While I still believe the mod should remind the players of this, I feel it should be expected, too.
"This should be an absolute car crash, but let's try it." - CDB
"did you get ces to look disgusted by their offer? i thought that might work" - Patrick
Cracking Idea Mafia
MichelSableheart
MichelSableheart
Mafia Scum
MichelSableheart
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Sun Jun 15, 2008 8:53 pm

Post by MichelSableheart »

I & II aren't necessary for the mod to know, as long as the list mod knows. There is absolutely no reason why a mod should know the true identity of the heads of a hydra, because they can prod the hydra itself. The listmod however needs to know to be able to ensure that no site rules are broken. All the mod needs to know is that the player is a hydra (because hydra's are a violation of the 'don't discuss this game out of thread rule', the mod needs to give his permission beforehand).

III should definately be expected though. The gamerules of most games state that the game can't be discussed out of thread. A hydra, being a single person, can obviously discuss the game with itself, but discussing it with other players is, IMO, a big no-no.
There is no 'a' in Michel.
armlx
armlx
Most JDTay-like
armlx
Most JDTay-like
Most JDTay-like

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Mon Jun 16, 2008 1:53 am

Post by armlx »

MichelSableheart wrote:I & II aren't necessary for the mod to know, as long as the list mod knows. There is absolutely no reason why a mod should know the true identity of the heads of a hydra, because they can prod the hydra itself. The listmod however needs to know to be able to ensure that no site rules are broken. All the mod needs to know is that the player is a hydra (because hydra's are a violation of the 'don't discuss this game out of thread rule', the mod needs to give his permission beforehand).

III should definately be expected though. The gamerules of most games state that the game can't be discussed out of thread. A hydra, being a single person, can obviously discuss the game with itself, but discussing it with other players is, IMO, a big no-no.
I endorse this product or service.
Away Wednesday the 24th through the 31st
Vel-Rahn Koon
Vel-Rahn Koon
Virginia's Trump
Vel-Rahn Koon
Virginia's Trump
Virginia's Trump

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Mon Jun 16, 2008 2:27 am

Post by Vel-Rahn Koon »

Sorry for being ignorant, but can someone explain multi-headed/hydra to me?

Thanks,

Vel
The Newbie Queue ALWAYS needs ICs and Mods!

Are you willing to help out? Check the Queue title to see what roles we need filled!
Rogueben
Rogueben
Goon
Rogueben
Goon
Goon

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Mon Jun 16, 2008 2:35 am

Post by Rogueben »

Multiple people playing as one person in the game, often using a new account. There are several games that have encouraged multi-heading (mith's California trio for example), usually because of higher than usual posting requirements.
Currently busy 7 days a week. Will post regularly though.
Mr. Flay
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Metatron

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Mon Jun 16, 2008 4:46 am

Post by Mr. Flay »

xyzzy wrote:I. Confirmation of a list of who is in the game under a particular account.
II. Confirmation from all players on the account that they are in fact on the account.
III. Guarantee that the game will be discussed in a location completely unavailable to any non-members.
All are acceptable, and in fact should be required.
Guardian wrote:And I think it is mod's prerogative to allow multi-heading at all.
Absolutely!
armlx wrote:IV. That their actual identity will not be revealed.
V. The mod will actually trust them to follow the basic rules of the game.
VI. That the mod will not single them out and try to debase their presence in the game based on personal reasons.
IV is negotiable. V is an extension of II and III. VI is absolutely correct.
(I renumbered armlx's to make the thread easier to follow)
Ether wrote:By the way, I think 10-player hydras are ridiculous and wouldn't consider any mod a square for banning them.
True enough (an extension of Guardian's point, essentially).
Retired as of October 2014.
Cybele
Cybele
Goon
Cybele
Goon
Goon

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Mon Jun 16, 2008 4:56 am

Post by Cybele »

Weep not for me, for I am dead.
Last edited by Cybele on Tue Mar 24, 2009 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mr. Flay
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Metatron

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Mon Jun 16, 2008 5:03 am

Post by Mr. Flay »

Furthermore, I would make hydra-headed accounts agree that if ANYTHING the role account does breaks the rules of the game/site, ALL players behind it will be punished equally, unless there is consensus on who is directly responsible for the offending post/action.

There should be no "oops, sorry about that; we've kicked Soandso out of the hydra, now the rest of us can continue".
Retired as of October 2014.
Xdaamno
Xdaamno
I love you
Xdaamno
I love you
I love you

Post Post #16 (ISO) » Mon Jun 16, 2008 5:10 am

Post by Xdaamno »

We need a wiki-page article for multi-head.
"did you get ces to look disgusted by their offer? i thought that might work" - Patrick
Cracking Idea Mafia
Glork
Glork
Burdened by Proficiency
Glork
Burdened by Proficiency
Burdened by Proficiency

Post Post #17 (ISO) » Mon Jun 16, 2008 5:22 am

Post by Glork »

MichelSableheart wrote:I & II aren't necessary for the mod to know, as long as the list mod knows. There is absolutely no reason why a mod should know the true identity of the heads of a hydra, because they can prod the hydra itself. The listmod however needs to know to be able to ensure that no site rules are broken. All the mod needs to know is that the player is a hydra (because hydra's are a violation of the 'don't discuss this game out of thread rule', the mod needs to give his permission beforehand).
Wrong. Wrong. Couldn't be more wrong.

Like most things around here, the concept behind alts -- whether they are piloted by a single individual or multiple players -- rely on a very distinct honor system. And some mods (such as myself) do not allow multi-heading in their own games. Thus, it is an absolute necessity that the identities behind a given hydra (I
really
like that term, by the way) be made public. How can you possibly argue that the identities behind a hydra can remain hidden when that public knowledge is required to ensure the integrity of a mod's preferences?

Sable wrote:III should definately be expected though. The gamerules of most games state that the game can't be discussed out of thread. A hydra, being a single person, can obviously discuss the game with itself, but discussing it with other players is, IMO, a big no-no.
I'm undecided on this one. What makes it different than ranting to an out-of-game friend on your own?

As such, I haven't voted yet. I will vote either I/II or all three.

EDIT: ZZ, by "non-members," do you mean "players who are not hydra-heads" or "anybody not in the hydra-head, regardless of whether they are in the game or not"? The answer to this question will directly determine my own response to the poll.
Green Shirt Thursdays

Get to know a Glork!
Simenon
Simenon
Entitled
Simenon
Entitled
Entitled

Post Post #18 (ISO) » Mon Jun 16, 2008 5:32 am

Post by Simenon »

The moderator does not have a right to know what the specific accouts are in a multi-account. The moderator does have a right, however, to block that account from playing in the game.

And if you want to seriously play, satisfying the demands of the moderator is recommended.
SEND THE VECTOIDS
The Fonz
The Fonz
Jack of All Trades
The Fonz
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #19 (ISO) » Mon Jun 16, 2008 6:30 am

Post by The Fonz »

Glork wrote:
Wrong. Wrong. Couldn't be more wrong.

Like most things around here, the concept behind alts -- whether they are piloted by a single individual or multiple players -- rely on a very distinct honor system. And some mods (such as myself) do not allow multi-heading in their own games. Thus, it is an absolute necessity that the identities behind a given hydra (I
really
like that term, by the way) be made public. How can you possibly argue that the identities behind a hydra can remain hidden when that public knowledge is required to ensure the integrity of a mod's preferences?
Well, your argument appears to be that some mods don't like hydras. Which is fair enough, don't allow hydras. I don't see why knowing precisely who is in a hydra is a prerequisite, unless a mod has banned specific individuals from their games or something.
Yosarian2
Yosarian2
(shrug)
Yosarian2
(shrug)
(shrug)

Post Post #20 (ISO) » Mon Jun 16, 2008 7:29 am

Post by Yosarian2 »

armlx wrote:Which of the following can a player in a multi-headed account expect from the mod?

III. That the mod will not single them out and try to debase their presence in the game based on personal reasons.
Eh? Since when was the identity of a group of people in a multi-headed game supposed to be secret? If that's a part of the game as designed by the mod, that's different, but there's no reason to assume that "multiheaded=secret identities"
I want us to win just for Yos' inevitable rant alone. -CrashTextDummie
Xdaamno
Xdaamno
I love you
Xdaamno
I love you
I love you

Post Post #21 (ISO) » Mon Jun 16, 2008 8:00 am

Post by Xdaamno »

Yosarian2 wrote:
armlx wrote:Which of the following can a player in a multi-headed account expect from the mod?

Eh? Since when was the identity of a group of people in a multi-headed game supposed to be secret? If that's a part of the game as designed by the mod, that's different, but there's no reason to assume that "multiheaded=secret identities"
Yeah, I don't get this. armlx and Brutal Assassin are apparently of the opinion that the point of hydras is to combat metas and have fun finding out who the players are, but I don't recall a single multi-head where the identities weren't revealed.
Cracking Idea Mafia
dahill1
dahill1
bagel
dahill1
bagel
bagel

Post Post #22 (ISO) » Mon Jun 16, 2008 8:50 am

Post by dahill1 »

i didn't mind that xyzzy knew who was in the multi-head, but it bothered me that he revealed them publicly. he then went on to say that he probably wouldn't have done it if we were less hesitant in giving him the names.
aka it was a dick move
Yosarian2
Yosarian2
(shrug)
Yosarian2
(shrug)
(shrug)

Post Post #23 (ISO) » Mon Jun 16, 2008 8:58 am

Post by Yosarian2 »

Uh, again, what's wrong with revealing them publicly? Since when are multi-heads supposed to be secret? Especally since MeMe wanted to have listed, in THAT THREAD, who was playing.
I want us to win just for Yos' inevitable rant alone. -CrashTextDummie
gorckat
gorckat
Mafia Scum
gorckat
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #24 (ISO) » Mon Jun 16, 2008 10:15 am

Post by gorckat »

Barring an explicit theme game for them, isn't multiple people on one account sort of cheating?

Isn't the game of mafia a majority with less info than the minority battling wits to see who wins? Even if you "nuke" ten townies at once, aren't they, possibly, able to generate more info than a lone townie in that same role based on all those eyes and minds?

Return to “Mafia Discussion”