Norinel
Not Voting (3)
Norinel
Not Voting (3)
Not Voting (3)

Mini 615: The Eclipse- Game!

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Thu Jun 12, 2008 7:26 pm

Post by Norinel »

A quaint village in the Scandinavian countryside sits below a great yet ruined palace, its towers casting a long, broken shadow over the land. An ancient prophecy says that on the coming of the eclipse a great demon shall take the throne of the palace, and from there rule the world. But the demon can even steal away the minds of mortals, so the townsfolk's strength in numbers can only prevail so long. But even if outnumbered, one enchanted bullet in one of their hands can deal the killing blow...

Current status: The game is over; see endgame post for the details

Players:
armlx
Awesome Pants
Bogre
Darox
icemanE
Jaguar
windkirby
xyzzy
Last edited by Norinel on Wed Jul 16, 2008 7:49 pm, edited 10 times in total.
Norinel
Norinel
Not Voting (3)
Norinel
Not Voting (3)
Not Voting (3)

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Thu Jun 12, 2008 7:30 pm

Post by Norinel »

The Setup

1 Demon King
You are the Demon King, the source of the evil that shall overrun the town. Each Night, you recruit one player into your cult. If they are a Townie, they join the cult and learn your identity, but not the identity of any other recruits. Note that they will not be able to communicate with you. If they are the Hunter, their stubborn nature will resist your temptations at the cost of their own life.

You win if you survive until you can no longer be killed: the Cult must possess a majority of the town, and the Hunter's kill must be exhausted.

No need to confirm, but this game starts in night, so send me your first recruitment choice ASAP.
1 Hunter
You are the Hunter, entrusted with the one sacred bullet that may rid the town of its dark menace. Once in the game, you may post bolded in the thread
kill: playername
, and that player will die. You are immune to being recruited by the cult, but only because you will die if recruited.

If you are killed (lynched or recruited), you may use your kill in the instant after your death. If you choose not to do so, and there any townies remaining, your power will be passed on to a random townie.

You win if the Demon King is slain, however that comes about.

No need to confirm; I'll know by your picking up of this PM that you're around and ready.
6 Townies
You are a simple Townsperson, with no special abilities other than the potential to become sworn to one side or the other. For the moment, though, you lie against the growing evil.

You win if the Demon King is slain, however that comes about, or if you are recruited by the Cult and the Cult then wins.

No need to confirm; I'll know by your picking up of this PM that you're around and ready.
Townie turned Cultist
You have fallen sway to the wiles of the Demon King, who is [player]. You may not communicate with him, and do not know the identities of any other cultists. All you have to keep your dread master alive are your voice and vote, and your knowledge of his identity.

You win if the Demon King survives until he can no longer be killed: the Cult must possess a majority of the town, and the Hunter's kill must be exhausted.
Townie turned Hunter
The Hunter's bullet has fallen to you, with the demise of its previous holder.Once in the game, you may post bolded in the thread
kill: playername
, and that player will die. You are immune to being recruited by the cult, but only because you will die instead.

If you are killed, you may use your kill in the instant after your death. If you choose not to do so, and there any townies remaining, your power will be passed on to a random townie.

You win if the Demon King is slain, however that comes about.
Game-specific rules:

This game has
fixed two-week deadlines
. I'll remind you of as much when each day begins, and set a specific time.
Lynches are mandatory
, so the no lynch vote is not an option, and no minimum number of votes is required to lynch at deadline. If there's a tie, the person who's had that many votes for the longest is lynched; if no votes are cast whatsoever, the first vote lynches.

Night deadlines, and the decision of the hunter to kill immediately after his death are 48 hours, plus more time for weekends or if there's advised limited access. If I get no choice, the CR recruits randomly, and the vig no-kills.

Like Assassins in the Palace, this setup can very easily be destroyed by one player. Deliberately exposing the CR when you're a cultist, or using your kill before the town's very last chance when you're the hunter, can both lose the game for your side. I will not ban either except inasmuch as the site rules do demand that you play to win, however that comes about. Please ask by PM if you are considering a gambit that might skirt this line.

However, faking kills, and talking outside of the thread, even after you're dead, are strictly prohibited. The cult
never
has the ability to communicate.

My other rules:
(In addition to the site-wide rules)

1. Notify me (Don't just post in the vacation thread, post here or pm me) if you're going to be unavailable for more than 48 hours. 72 hours without a post, not counting weekends, (If you don't let me know there's something up, of course) or general request will get you prodded, no response for 48 hours will get you replaced.

2. I'll only count bolded votes; while I much prefer and recommend the format
unvote: A, vote: B
when changing your vote, I'll count any vote that's bolded and unambiguous.

3. As soon as one person reaches a majority of the votes, (Or we hit the deadline) their lynch is inevitable. Before I actually post their death scene, it is considered twilight. Mods differ on how they treat it- my rule is that nobody should post significant game-related information, but I'll forgive an honest mistake.

4. Please contact me by PM if you think I've made a mistake or have any questions that'd be too sensitive for the thread. It may not be a mistake, or it may not be something I can tell everyone about

5. If I change any of these rules (Or the standard rules) at any time, I'll announce it. Anything rules-related I say after making this post, publicly or privately, takes precedence over this post.
Norinel
Norinel
Not Voting (3)
Norinel
Not Voting (3)
Not Voting (3)

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Mon Jun 16, 2008 4:20 pm

Post by Norinel »

Jaguar seems to have vanished; seeking a replacement now.
Norinel
Norinel
Not Voting (3)
Norinel
Not Voting (3)
Not Voting (3)

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Tue Jun 17, 2008 5:28 pm

Post by Norinel »

windkirby replaces Jaguar, hopefully we'll start shortly.
Norinel
Norinel
Not Voting (3)
Norinel
Not Voting (3)
Not Voting (3)

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Thu Jun 19, 2008 5:18 am

Post by Norinel »

Everyone has checked in, the first cult recruit has been notified, so it's Day 1. 8 alive means 5 to lynch.

Deadline 2 weeks, July 3.
icemanE
icemanE
Mafia Scum
icemanE
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Thu Jun 19, 2008 5:39 am

Post by icemanE »

vote: Sleepy Panda
WAKE UP!
armlx
armlx
Most JDTay-like
armlx
Most JDTay-like
Most JDTay-like

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Thu Jun 19, 2008 5:40 am

Post by armlx »

No hunter should ever shoot until it is mathematically impossible for there to be another townie.

We also need to consider if a hunter should claim if they are about to be lynched.
Away Wednesday the 24th through the 31st
SleepyPanda
SleepyPanda
Goon
SleepyPanda
Goon
Goon

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Thu Jun 19, 2008 5:44 am

Post by SleepyPanda »

Vote: Awesome Pants

Ewww, who wears pants?
armlx
armlx
Most JDTay-like
armlx
Most JDTay-like
Most JDTay-like

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Thu Jun 19, 2008 5:46 am

Post by armlx »

Ok, I have determined this is the opposite of AITP. Random voting is good as the town is the uninformed "minority" in this game.

Vote Darox
and what not.
icemanE
icemanE
Mafia Scum
icemanE
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Thu Jun 19, 2008 5:51 am

Post by icemanE »

I think the hunter should definitely claim if he's about to be lynched - with only 8 it's not worth killing someone we aren't totally sure is either cult or king. Additionally, isn't it game over once it's mathematically impossible that there isn't another townie?
armlx
armlx
Most JDTay-like
armlx
Most JDTay-like
Most JDTay-like

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Thu Jun 19, 2008 6:02 am

Post by armlx »

icemanE, the hunter claiming does 2 things.

1) Lets the cult leader direct their recruits more effectively towards actual recruitables, where as recruiting the hunter is not optimal for them as well, its not a recruit. This is why its debatable. Also the WIFOM reasons and what not.

2) This game has a different town and scum WC then usual, so even if the game ends going into night as 4 cult vs the 1 hunter (absolute worst case scenario of all mislynches and recruits), town still can win if the hunter shoots right.
Awesome Pants
Awesome Pants
Friends Forever! <3
Awesome Pants
Friends Forever! <3
Friends Forever! <3

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Thu Jun 19, 2008 10:28 am

Post by Awesome Pants »

armlx wrote:No hunter should ever shoot until it is mathematically impossible for there to be another townie.
That's a good point. I suppose that once the game is in that situation where the only town member left is the hunter, the game basically becomes a reverse version of AITP, except the CR will know who the assassin is (but basically won't be able to tell his recruits without being killed).

To further your idea, I don't think the hunter (or townie turned hunter as the case may be) should use their shot until they're dead so that they can get as much info as possible and have the best chance of hiting CR.

As for claiming, obviously I think they should only claim when the town still has the majority.
icemanE wrote:Additionally, isn't it game over once it's mathematically impossible that there isn't another townie?
Not if the hunter hasn't used his shot. If he knows he's in a situation like that, he should stay alive as long as possible and try and blend in as a CR. Obvious the cult will have the advantage of have the CR know who the hunter is, but the cult won't be 100% sure.
[b]Currently being used By MafiaSSK for Chess Mafia. With all due permission from AP himself.[/b]
icemanE
icemanE
Mafia Scum
icemanE
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Thu Jun 19, 2008 12:13 pm

Post by icemanE »

Not if the hunter hasn't used his shot. If he knows he's in a situation like that, he should stay alive as long as possible and try and blend in as a CR. Obvious the cult will have the advantage of have the CR know who the hunter is, but the cult won't be 100% sure.
I see what you're saying now... this is a much more complicated game than it at first appears to be...
Darox
Darox
Mafia Scum
Darox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Thu Jun 19, 2008 2:48 pm

Post by Darox »

Game time!

This is an interesting setup.

The hunter shouldn't even consider using his shot until he is the last townie left and he dies. Why increase the risk of hitting the wrong target by needlessly firing early?

Especially since if the hunter dies, his one shot kill is passed onto another townie, so there is no risk of losing it prematurely.

Basically, we mill around, try to keep the cult numbers as low as possible to increase the hunters chance of hitting, then put a round through the Demon King's head at the last moment.
armlx
armlx
Most JDTay-like
armlx
Most JDTay-like
Most JDTay-like

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Thu Jun 19, 2008 2:51 pm

Post by armlx »

Basically, we mill around, try to keep the cult numbers as low as possible to increase the hunters chance of hitting, then put a round through the Demon King's head at the last moment.
Or we lynch the Demon King. That works too.
icemanE
icemanE
Mafia Scum
icemanE
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Thu Jun 19, 2008 2:52 pm

Post by icemanE »

So is random voting a no-no in this setup as well?
armlx
armlx
Most JDTay-like
armlx
Most JDTay-like
Most JDTay-like

Post Post #16 (ISO) » Thu Jun 19, 2008 3:01 pm

Post by armlx »

icemanE wrote:So is random voting a no-no in this setup as well?
Not at all. Random voting is good for the same reasons its good in normal mafia here as the scum is still the informed minority at the start.
icemanE
icemanE
Mafia Scum
icemanE
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #17 (ISO) » Thu Jun 19, 2008 3:05 pm

Post by icemanE »

armlx wrote:
icemanE wrote:So is random voting a no-no in this setup as well?
Not at all. Random voting is good for the same reasons its good in normal mafia here as the scum is still the informed minority at the start.
OK. I asked because I noticed that only 2 of the 5 players that have posted so far have voted - it's pretty much S.O.P. to throw out a random vote in your first post.
icemanE
icemanE
Mafia Scum
icemanE
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #18 (ISO) » Thu Jun 19, 2008 3:06 pm

Post by icemanE »

ME wrote: I asked because I noticed that only 2 of the 5 players that have posted so far have voted
EBWOP: Only 2 of 5 voted in their first post.
armlx
armlx
Most JDTay-like
armlx
Most JDTay-like
Most JDTay-like

Post Post #19 (ISO) » Thu Jun 19, 2008 3:14 pm

Post by armlx »

I only waited till my second as I was still figuring out if randoming was good or not.
Darox
Darox
Mafia Scum
Darox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #20 (ISO) » Thu Jun 19, 2008 5:23 pm

Post by Darox »

Yeah, we could lynch the demon king, but I didn't think that was going to be a likely outcome, given in the first half the player pool is large enough that its unlikely he will be hit, and in the second half the cult will have a majority or close to it, and they are never going to lynch the DK.
armlx
armlx
Most JDTay-like
armlx
Most JDTay-like
Most JDTay-like

Post Post #21 (ISO) » Thu Jun 19, 2008 5:27 pm

Post by armlx »

The issue with the 2nd half is similar to AITP. We may be able to slip in a lynch on the back of some cultists trying to avoid indicating who is king.
icemanE
icemanE
Mafia Scum
icemanE
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #22 (ISO) » Thu Jun 19, 2008 5:35 pm

Post by icemanE »

OK, so to make sure I have the rules straight for this setup:

- The town wins when the demon king is dead, regardless of whether they are outnumbered by cultists, and the town cannot lose until the hunter has shot.
- The Demon King / cultists win when the hunter has shot and there are not enough townies to lynch the DK.

Does that sound right?
armlx
armlx
Most JDTay-like
armlx
Most JDTay-like
Most JDTay-like

Post Post #23 (ISO) » Thu Jun 19, 2008 5:48 pm

Post by armlx »

Yes, it does.
Darox
Darox
Mafia Scum
Darox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #24 (ISO) » Thu Jun 19, 2008 6:51 pm

Post by Darox »

I guess I should put a random vote down.

I was going to vote armlx for being filthy dirty scum, but he beat me to the punch, so

Vote: Bogre
I always mispell ogre as orge.

Return to “Completed Mini Theme Games”