Rantbuddy

Pick your Poison 3 (Game Over)

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Sun Apr 06, 2008 12:47 pm

Post by Patrick »

Mod
: Patrick
Backup
: petroleumjelly

For several months now, the mafia and the town have coexisted in peace. Seeing all the death and bloodshed in other towns, the two factions decided to sign a treaty, whereby they wouldn’t kill each other. Of course, very few people know who is in the mafia and who isn’t, and those who do know certainly don’t know officially. But the arrangement is agreeable enough. Better still, the treaty has allowed both sides to learn new skills and broaden their horizons, as they mix with the other group, and this is the tenuous flavour justification for the theme of the game, which is picking your poison.

What could possibly upset this peaceful picture? It’s a shame, but at the end of the day, the mafia are bad guys. It seems they’ve decided the usefulness of the townspeople has come to an end, and that they should be taking the town for themselves. Sure, this town is smart and technologically advanced, but our mafia isn’t just a mob of monkeys either. The mafia is confident enough to even give the town fair warning, and to not even kill anyone before the lynching starts. The town notice board, the usual line of communication, clearly warns any townsperson that values their life to leave town immediately. Naturally nobody heeds this warning – a town must always fight back! Can the town follow in the footsteps of the first two PYP towns? Well, that’s what we’re here to see.

Alive
(2/18)

4) Sarcastro - Mafia 3 shot roleblocker - Survived
11) farside22 (replacing starkmoon) - Mafia Encryptor - Survived

Dead
(16/18)

17) Mellowed Man - Hider - lynched day 1

16) babygirl86 - Cop - killed night 1

14) mr. incrediball - Hider - killed night 1

6) q21 - Townsperson - lynched day 2

18) JDodge - Townsperson - killed night 2

15) Xtoxm (replacing ashmite84) - Mafia Goon - lynched day 3

12) elvis_knits (replacing Inquisitor JL) - Townsperson - killed night 3

7) armlx - Townsperson - lynched day 4

3) Ether - Supersaint - killed night 4

10) DrippingGoofball (replacing Marmalade) - Mafia Godfather - lynched day 5

13) scotmany12 - Townsperson - killed night 5

8) Flameaxe - ???? - lynched day 6

9) Coron - Townsperson - killed night 6

1) Incognito - Townsperson - lynched day 7

2) Elmo - Townsperson - killed in the endgame

5) Gorrad (replacing Dave) - Townsperson - killed in the endgame

Game Status: Game Over
Last edited by Patrick on Fri Oct 17, 2008 1:28 am, edited 39 times in total.
Primpod 11:13 pm
chamber can you please come to ukmeet
i would love to finally touch your face
Patrick
Patrick
Rantbuddy
Patrick
Rantbuddy
Rantbuddy

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Sun Apr 06, 2008 12:55 pm

Post by Patrick »

Rules
(with changes from my usual roles bolded)

1.) This game is a day start.
When confirming by PM, please confirm your actual role to me, so I can be sure you've read your role PM.

2.) During the day you can vote for a player that you think should be lynched. Votes must be in the form
Vote: Player
otherwise they won't be counted. It would be helpful if players unvote when switching their votes.
3.) When a player reaches a majority of votes, they are lynched. I will reveal their role, and the game will move into night. Players can still talk during twilight.
4.)
This game has automatic 4 week deadlines each day, and these won't be extended except in special circumstances. No majority at deadline means no lynch.

5.) No talking to other players, dead or alive, outside of the thread, unless your role permits it.
6.) Once dead, you stop posting. A bah post is fine though.
7.) If you have any questions, feel free to PM me.
8.) Try to post at least once every 48 hours. Treat the game as a committment. If you go inactive, you will be replaced.
9.) I'll try to post votecounts as often as possible. Feel free to ask for a votecount at any time. Disappointingly, I may make mistakes. Point them out very gently.
10.) Avoid excessive profanity, flaming etc.
11.) Have fun!
Last edited by Patrick on Thu Apr 24, 2008 4:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Patrick
Patrick
Rantbuddy
Patrick
Rantbuddy
Rantbuddy

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Sun Apr 06, 2008 1:30 pm

Post by Patrick »

Special Rules

These rules are unique to this game. Probably worth reading at some point.

This game has a semi-open setup. There are only two factions: a mafia of 4 and a town of 14. At the start of the game, you will receive one of the following two PMs:

Mafia x 4 wrote:You are a part of the Mafia, along with X, Y and Z. You've all had enough of cooperating with the town, and you plan on taking over it's riches for yourselves. Each night all living mafia members may talk privately, and decide on a player to kill. Before any of that happens, the four of you have to make an important decision: what gains have the townsfolk made during the time of peace? You have 12 points that you must use to assign the town some powers, from the list given in the first post. Because of the importance of your decision, you have 96 hours to discuss it, and send me choices.

You win when the town no longer has the majority.
Townsperson x 14 wrote:You are a townsperson. You've lived in this town for several years, and you most certainly will not be leaving just because the mafia are threatening to kill you all if you don't. You have a voice and a vote, which you can use to help weed out the guilty during the day. You may also have some other helpful abilities, and if so, you'll find out about it when day 0 starts.

You win when the mafia no longer plagues the town.

During the pregame stage, the mafia will talk in private, and must select a number of protown poweroles, adding up to a total of 12 points. The mafia may, if they so wish, give the town
more
than 12 points worth of power. The number of points each role is worth are as follows:

Supersaint: 1 point
Masoniser: 2 points
Advanced Masoniser: 3 points
Doctor: 3 points
Weak Doctor: 3 points
Hider: 3 points
Jack of All Trades: 3 points
Cop: 5 points

The mafia may not put the same role in more than twice, with the exception of the cop, which can only be put in once. The mafia has up to 96 hours to choose the roles, and I'd like confirmation from more than one mafia member as to what choices have been made. Once roles have been chosen, they'll be randomly assigned to protown players. The PMs for each role are as follows:

Supersaint wrote:You are a supersaint. If you are lynched at any point in the game, the person who casts the final vote on you will also die.
Masoniser wrote:You are a masoniser. Once during the game, you may attempt to setup a masonry with another player. If that player is protown, you will succeed, and the two of you will be able to talk on all subsequent nights (and the player will show up as a mason on death along with their original role). If you attempt to recruit a member of the mafia, the attempt will fail. Either way, you may not try again.
Advanced Masoniser wrote:You are an advanced masoniser. You are the very latest model in the field of masonisers, and may rightly feel proud. Once during the game, at night, you may attempt to setup a masonry with another player. If that player is protown, you will succeed, and may talk to them day
and
night (and the player will show up as a mason along with their original role). If that player is a member of the mafia, the attempt will fail. You may not try again if you succeed, if you fail, you may try again the following night, unless your failure was on a Mafia Godfather.
Doctor wrote:You are a doctor. Each night, you may use your medical skills to protect another player from harm; all nightkills against them that night will fail. You may not protect yourself.
Weak Doctor wrote:You are a weak doctor. Each night, you may use your medical skills to protect another player from harm; all nightkills against them that night will fail. If you protect a member of the mafia, be warned that they will undoubtedly kill you. You may not protect yourself.
Hider wrote:You are a hider. Each night, if you so wish, you may choose to sleep over at someone elses house. If you are targetted for a nightkill when not at home, the kill will fail. However, if the person you're hiding with is nightkilled, you will die with them. If you try to hide with a member of the mafia, you will not survive. Note that even doc protection will not save you in these last two scenarios.
JOAT wrote:You are a Jack of All Trades, and you have a variety of skills. Each of them may only be used once, and you may only use one per night. Your skills are:

1) A one shot vigging, which is distinguished from any mafia nightkills.
2) A one shot self protection, which stops all nightkills on you that night.
3) A one shot copycat. You choose a player who's ability you want to copy, and the player you want to use it on. Note that you may only copy protown abilities, and you may not act as a masoniser/advanced masoniser. If you copy a JOAT, you will copy whatever ability they are using that night, if any.
4) A one shot motivator, which boosts certain protown roles for one night (if the JOAT targets them with this ability). Any masoniser is boosted to advanced masoniser, any hider who hides with scum survives and is told they hid with scum, any weak doctor who protected scum survives and is told they protected scum, any JOAT may re-use the ability they're using that night, and any cop can get a guilty on a GF. Note that any role that gets motivated will be told.
Cop wrote:You are a cop, enforcing the law in the town. You don't sleep during the night, instead you go out and investigate someone else. You will be told whether that player is a part of the mafia or a fellow townsperson. With the possible exception of a Mafia Godfather, your results will be accurate.
Once the poweroles have been assigned, day 0 will start. During day 0, everyone has to vote for 3 perks/abilities to give to the mafia, which are detailed below. Note that everyone has 3 votes to use on day 0, but can't vote more than once for the same thing.

SCUM ABILITIES
GF wrote:You have Godfather abilities. Any cop investigations on you will show up innocent, and you are immune to nightkills. Each night, you may, if you wish, choose to be "immune" to a weak doctor or a hider, meaning that if that roles targets you that night, they will not die. You may be immune to both on the same night if you wish. Finally, any advanced masoniser that attempts to recruit you and fails will not be able to try again.
3 shot roleblocker wrote:You are a 3 shot roleblocker. At night, you may roleblock another player, making them unable to carry out any nightactions that night. Any roleblocked powerole that would have received a PM from me that night will be informed of this, otherwise the blocked player won't be informed. You may only roleblock 3 times during the game, and only once per night.
Day Rolecop wrote:You are a day rolecop. Once per day, you may investigate a player and I will give you their full role. You will receive the result as soon as I come online to give it to you, even if that time is twilight. You obviously can't investigate during day 0 (since town is still choosing what abilities to give the mafia), but you receive one free (but random) investigation before day 1 even starts.
Encryptor wrote:You are an encryptor. At one point in the game, you may choose to permanently hide the role/alignment of a lynched player, by sending me the order to do so at any time before they are lynched. Further, as long as you are alive, the mafia can freely daytalk.

2 shot vig wrote:You are a 2 shot vigilante. Twice during the game, you may make a nightkill on top of the usual mafia nightkill. You may not use both your kills on the same night. Be warned that if your first kill fails for whatever reason, you won't get to use the second one.

Once the mafia powers have been chosen, they'll be a short period where the mafia can discuss amongst themselves which of them get the powers (one member will have to remain a goon). After that, day 1 will dawn, and the game will proceed like a normal game of mafia.

Clarifications
(list may grow)

1) If two hiders hide with each other on the same night, both are unightkillable, unless roleblocked.
2) A roleblocked masoniser/advanced masoniser gets to try again. A roleblocked JOAT does not get to re-use the ability they were using that night.
Last edited by Patrick on Thu Apr 10, 2008 1:39 pm, edited 8 times in total.
Patrick
Patrick
Rantbuddy
Patrick
Rantbuddy
Rantbuddy

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Sun Apr 06, 2008 2:01 pm

Post by Patrick »

All roles are out, please confirm by PM, remembering to confirm what your role is.

The mafia's 96 hours for discussing powerole choices starts now. If anyone needs any clarifications about roles or anything at all, feel free to PM or IM me.
Patrick
Patrick
Rantbuddy
Patrick
Rantbuddy
Rantbuddy

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Sun Apr 06, 2008 11:31 pm

Post by Patrick »

I've made a few minor changes of wording to the Hider, JOAT, and Rolecop PMs, in response to people asking for clarification.
Patrick
Patrick
Rantbuddy
Patrick
Rantbuddy
Rantbuddy

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Thu Apr 10, 2008 8:13 am

Post by Patrick »

Scum have chosen the town poweroles, and they've been distributed randomly to some protown players. If you received no new PM, you're a vanilla townie.

It is day 0. You're voting for 3 perks/abilities to give the mafia. You each have 3 votes, but you can't put more than one vote on the same ability. Note that when an ability reaches a majority (10), it's locked in and can't be changed.
JDodge
JDodge
Accept it
JDodge
Accept it
Accept it

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Thu Apr 10, 2008 9:00 am

Post by JDodge »

Vote: Encryptor, GF, Rolecop

Should be the fairly obvious choices.
stream

ffxiv/speedrunning sometimes/other things?
Ether
Ether
Lyrical Rampage
Ether
Lyrical Rampage
Lyrical Rampage
Pronoun:

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Thu Apr 10, 2008 9:08 am

Post by Ether »

vote: 3-shot roleblocker

vote: godfather

vote: rolecop
, I guess.

I for one am not touching that janitor-encryptor.
As I move my vote
Towards your wagon, town is taking note
It fills my head up and gets louder and
LOUDER
q21
q21
Mafia Scum
q21
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Thu Apr 10, 2008 9:09 am

Post by q21 »

Vote: GF, Rolecop, Roleblocker

I don't like the strategy/planning factor that the encryptor gives them. That's the only role I'm dead set against.
"I can't not give mad props to the murderbot 9000 that was q21." - Spyrex, after Scummies Invitational 2010.

You know those times when you wish you could think of something really funny or interesting to say, but just can't?... Yep, this is one of those times.
babygirl86
babygirl86
Goon
babygirl86
Goon
Goon

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Thu Apr 10, 2008 9:18 am

Post by babygirl86 »

vote gf, rolecop, roleblocker

seems like the best way to go
JDodge
JDodge
Accept it
JDodge
Accept it
Accept it

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Thu Apr 10, 2008 9:36 am

Post by JDodge »

Roleblocker harms us info-wise more than losing one role reveal does.
stream

q21
q21
Mafia Scum
q21
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Thu Apr 10, 2008 9:41 am

Post by q21 »

Its not the role reveal I'm worried about, its the day talking.

Also, we have ti have been given a cop for the roleblocker to damage us in any real way.
"I can't not give mad props to the murderbot 9000 that was q21." - Spyrex, after Scummies Invitational 2010.

You know those times when you wish you could think of something really funny or interesting to say, but just can't?... Yep, this is one of those times.
JDodge
JDodge
Accept it
JDodge
Accept it
Accept it

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Thu Apr 10, 2008 10:11 am

Post by JDodge »

As we have shown before, daytalking actually hurts the scum - read PYP2.

And a weak doc can be used as a pseudoinformational role - read PYP2.
stream

Mellowed Man
Mellowed Man
Goon
Mellowed Man
Goon
Goon

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Thu Apr 10, 2008 10:48 am

Post by Mellowed Man »

Vote: Roleblocker

I think you are a geek.
Elmo
Elmo
Mafia Scum
Elmo
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Thu Apr 10, 2008 10:50 am

Post by Elmo »

JDodge wrote:Roleblocker harms us info-wise more than losing one role reveal does.
not sure it does
Succinctness is pro-town.

Passion is inversely proportional to the amount of real information available. ~ Gregory Benford
q21
q21
Mafia Scum
q21
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Thu Apr 10, 2008 10:50 am

Post by q21 »

I don't have time to read a 46 page game... as much as I'd like to. Is there anything specific you can point to from that game that shows that daytalk can hurt the scum?

q21
q21
Mafia Scum
q21
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #16 (ISO) » Thu Apr 10, 2008 10:52 am

Post by q21 »

That last post was at JDodge.

q21, hates cross-posting

Coron
Coron
Shameless Plug
Coron
Shameless Plug
Shameless Plug

Post Post #17 (ISO) » Thu Apr 10, 2008 11:07 am

Post by Coron »

Day Rolecop + encryptor makes a strong combination, so I want to stay away from that, in fact, although it might seem weird in this case, I think we want to leave the scum in the dark, and not give them a rolecop, basically because it makes the roleblocker and encryptor roles much better. In general I don't think vigs are a good idea to give scum, but it may end up being the least of these evils, roleblocker I think would be for sure, encryptor could hurt us a lot in end game, so I'm not really sure about that. Godfather screws with out info a bit, but again, better than the other options I think. So basically the choice is between 2 shot vig or encryptor, let me know what you think.
q21
q21
Mafia Scum
q21
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #18 (ISO) » Thu Apr 10, 2008 11:22 am

Post by q21 »

Personally I don't think we should give them the vig or the encryptor - hence my vote.

Marmalade
Marmalade
Goon
Marmalade
Goon
Goon

Post Post #19 (ISO) » Thu Apr 10, 2008 11:22 am

Post by Marmalade »

My two cents: I think we should stay away from the encryptor, really -- it's a really troublesome role that would be fairly easy to cause problems. Other than that, the Godfather seems like the safest role so far. I don't know whether it's more dangerous for the scum to know the roles of the town, or for them to be able to block, or kill more, which is basically what this stems down to.

Not voting yet, because I'm not entirely convinced myself as to what is the best option.
Sign up for [url=http://www.mafiascum.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8094]Unanimous[/url] today!
Incognito
Incognito
Not Rex
Incognito
Not Rex
Not Rex

Post Post #20 (ISO) » Thu Apr 10, 2008 11:43 am

Post by Incognito »

Vote: Encryptor, Godfather, Rolecop

If people post and do a good job scum-hunting, then it shouldn't matter what power roles the scum have (except for the vig on their side).
[ooc][color=black]patrickgower2006 (8:12:03 PM): all beer tastes same to me
patrickgower2006 (8:12:07 PM): like dish water
If you see Patrick drinking dish water, please try and stop him. Friends don't let friends drink dish water.[/color][/ooc]
ashmite84
ashmite84
Goon
ashmite84
Goon
Goon

Post Post #21 (ISO) » Thu Apr 10, 2008 11:50 am

Post by ashmite84 »

Vote: GF
Vote: 3 shot Roleblocker
Vote: Encryptor

I think the vig could help them steamrole us if they got some momentum going and the day rolecop provides them with too much info.
In a permanent state of Limited Access. I'll understand if I'm replaced in my current games.
JDodge
JDodge
Accept it
JDodge
Accept it
Accept it

Post Post #22 (ISO) » Thu Apr 10, 2008 12:03 pm

Post by JDodge »

q21 wrote:I don't have time to read a 46 page game... as much as I'd like to. Is there anything specific you can point to from that game that shows that daytalk can hurt the scum?
No. You have to read the entire thing to truly understand.

Otherwise, read the post-game talk.

Coron has a point.
Unvote: rolecop, vote: roleblocker
stream

Coron
Coron
Shameless Plug
Coron
Shameless Plug
Shameless Plug

Post Post #23 (ISO) » Thu Apr 10, 2008 12:13 pm

Post by Coron »

Vote: Godfather, 3 shot Roleblocker, Encryptor
for now, with the understanding that I would be willing to switch to 2 shot vig if that gains any ground
Coron
Coron
Shameless Plug
Coron
Shameless Plug
Shameless Plug

Post Post #24 (ISO) » Thu Apr 10, 2008 12:21 pm

Post by Coron »

After review, 2 shot vig costs us one day, which, if you think about it isn't that bad, the confusion of an encryptor could cost us lots more...

Overall I'd be a lot happier with going with an 2 shot vig so, let it be known, that if 2 shot vig gets a good bandwagon I will join it.

Return to “Completed Large Theme Games”