Norinel
Not Voting (3)
Not Voting (3)

Cultafia: Game over

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Wed Mar 05, 2008 12:16 pm

Post by Norinel »

Bavaria
wishes
it had an organized crime problem. It's got its share of random solo murderers, of course, but so does everyone. Their threat to small-town security consists of a set of insidious secret societies that forcibly brainwash the weak of mind (Which, unfortunately, happens to be nearly everyone) that the unknowing simply refer to as "cults". The smaller municipalities quickly adopted Italy's system of daily democratic lynchings, which seemed to keep things under control for a little while. But then the cults somehow gained access to the orbital weapons platforms we'd like to pretend don't exist, and things just went downhill from there...

Game status:
The game is over; this is as of the final day.

Alive (3/16):

mnowax (Replacing jack_dillon)
stark (Replacing SlySly (Replacing Quinton. (Replacing stark)))
Yosarian2

Dead (12/16):

DrippingGoofball (Townie) - shot Night 1
springlullaby (Townie) - lynched Day 1
Blazerunner (Roleblocker) - shot Night 2
vikingfan (Alarmist) - shot Night 2
curiouskarmadog (Mason) - lynched Day 2
springlullaby II (Replacing Hjallti (Replacing mypenguinkat)) (Steadfast Mason) - shot Night 3
aioqwe (Replacing malthusis) (Fuschia Cultist, previously Townie) - lynched Day 3

vollkan (Replacing Ration) (Cerulean Cultist, previously Vigilante) - shot Night 4

NabakovNabakov (Replacing ZaneWasHere) (Townie) - blown to bits Night 4
armlx (Cerulean Cult Leader) - lynched Day 4

the silent speaker (Fuschia Cult Leader) - lynched Day 5

Beep! Beep! (Replacing Occult) (Alarmist) - shot Night 6
Skruffs (Replacing Greggo) (Serial Killer) - lynched Day 6
Last edited by Norinel on Sat Jul 19, 2008 9:47 am, edited 27 times in total.
Norinel
Norinel
Not Voting (3)
Norinel
Not Voting (3)
Not Voting (3)

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Wed Mar 05, 2008 12:24 pm

Post by Norinel »

The Setup:

This is a semi-open game; what follow are all the possible role PMs, but I won't tell you which ones are actually in the game, or how many. You may as well read this thread, where I posted an earlier version of the setup for comments.

Some miscellaneous setup-specific rules:
•The cult win condition is "You win when your cult cannot be eradicated, or such a situation is inevitable." Even if the leader dies so the cult can't wipe everyone else out, the cult can still wins if they can no longer be eliminated. In practice, this probably means that they both have at least 50% of the town and there are no other killing roles alive. (If two non-killing cults are both half of the town, they tie.)
•If multiple Cults recruit the same player at the same time, it acts as a nightkill attempt on that player.
•If an unprotected player is culted and nightkilled at the same time, the recruitment fails.
•A recruited player loses any powers he previously had
except
that ex-Masons can communicate with their fellow masons. (After all, the true power of the Mason role is trust, and that's kind of out the window...)
•The only thing that grants protection from nightkills is being an SK or Cult Leader, or if the killer is blocked.
•Vigs and SKs kill with guns, and their victims are listed as "shot". Cults kill with orbital lasers, and their victims are listed as "burnt to a crisp". If someone's killed multiple times simultaneously, they're all listed, like "shot twice and burnt to a crisp".

Cult Leader
You are the [cultname] Cult Leader. Every night, you may attempt to recruit one player into your cult or kill one player. Once you have fellow cultists, you may discuss with them at night, but the ultimate decision and responsibility to PM is yours. If you die, the cult may neither kill nor recruit; however, you are immune to the first attempt to kill you at night.

You win when your cult cannot be eradicated, or such a situation is inevitable.

(In my games, I prefer to be kept in the loop on Night discussion; if you get the chance to communicate, please keep me in touch somehow: give me a link to a forum, or CC me on PMs, or whatever)
Cult Recruit
You have been recruited by the [cultname] Cult, led by [name] and also composed of [names]. You may communicate with the rest of the cult at night. You lose all other abilities you previously had, except that if you were a Mason, you can still talk to your fellow Masons at night.

(In my games, I prefer to be kept in the loop on Night discussion; if you get the chance to communicate, please keep me in touch somehow: give me a link to a forum, or CC me on PMs, or whatever)
Clarifications: Cult recruits are immune to cult recruitment. Cult recruits are revealed as [cultname] Cultist, previously [oldrole].

Serial Killer
You are a Serial Killer. Each night, you may kill someone. You are completely immune to investigations and cult recruitment, and the first attempt to kill you at night will fail.

You win when you are the last person standing.
Steadfast Mason
You are a Steadfast Mason; the rest of your group is
  • . You know that everyone in your group is pro-town... for now. You may communicate with any living members at night.

You are immune to cult recruitment; however, this does not necessarily apply to everyone in your group.

You win when any threats to the town are eliminated.

Mason
You are a Mason; the rest of your group is
  • . You know that everyone in your group is pro-town... for now. You may communicate with any living members at night.

Some members of your group may be immune to cult recruitment. However, you are not one of them.

You win when any threats to the town are eliminated, or if you join a cult before its takeover is inevitable.

Clarifications: If a Mason is recruited, the masonry is not notified and they can still communicate with fellow members.

Inquisitor (Cop)
You are an Inquisitor. Each night, you may investigate one other player and determine their cult status as of the end of the night. You are sane.

You win when any threats to the town are eliminated, or if you join a cult before its takeover is inevitable.
Clarifications: Gets "cult" or "not cult". Cult leaders, as well as someone being successfully recruited that night, investigate as guilty, but if someone's investigated, recruited, and nightkilled in the same night, they investigate as innocent. (As above, I don't switch players' alignments when they die)

Alarmist (Doc)
You are an Alarmist. Each night, you may protect one other player from any cult or cults that may attempt to recruit them.

Clarifications: Nobody is notified of a successful protection (The cult is told that the recruitment failed, but not why). If multiple cults target a person who an Alarmist is protecting, they're still protected. An Alarmist may not self-protect, and is not immune to culting unless protected by another.

Vigilante
You are a Vigilante. You may attempt to kill one other player at night, but you may not attempt to kill two nights consecutively.

Roleblocker
You are a Roleblocker. Each night, you may block one other player; this prevents any night action they attempt to perform that night.

Tracker
You are a Tracker. Each night, you may track one other player; I will inform you of who, if anyone, they targeted with any night actions.

Watcher
You are a Watcher. Each night, you may watch one other player; I will inform you of who, if anyone, targets them with any night actions.

Clarification: "Your investigation failed" (When blocked) and "Nobody targeted X" (And conversely, "X targeted nobody") are distinct results. Roleblocked actions still show up for trackers & watchers. Cult actions always "originate" with the cult leader, so blocking them blocks the recruit or kill, and so on.

Steadfast Townie
You are a Steadfast Townie. You are immune to recruitment, but have no other abilities.

You win when any threats to the town are eliminated.
Townie
You are a Townie. You have no special abilities.

General Mafia rules:
(In addition to the site-wide rules)

1. Notify me (Don't just post in the vacation thread, post here or pm me) if you're going to be unavailable for more than 48 hours. Four days without a post (If you don't let me know there's something up, of course) or general request will get you prodded, no response for 48 hours will get you replaced.

2. I'll only count bolded votes; while I much prefer and recommend the format
unvote: A, vote: B
when changing your vote, I'll count any vote that's bolded and unambiguous.

3. As soon as one person reaches a majority of the votes, (Or we hit the deadline) their lynch is inevitable. Before I actually post their death scene, it is considered twilight. Mods differ on how they treat it- my rule is that nobody should post significant game-related information, but I'll forgive an honest mistake.

4. If you communicate in Night as a part of any group, I'd prefer if you send me an extra copy (Use partnername;Norinel in the PM, or just send me a link to the Quicktopic or something) of anything you send. It makes things more interesting for me and easier for you if someone in your group gets replaced down the line.

Some other notes:

1. If discussion lags, I may set a deadline for the day. If the town doesn't have a majority by then, the person with the most votes is lynched if they have at least half of the required votes. If there are multiple people with the same number of votes at a deadline, the one who reached that number first is lynched. If no one has half the majority, no one is lynched.

2. If I set a deadline for the night, I expect all night choices to be in by then. If you don't send me something, you won't take any action.

3. Modkilling during the day of a pro-town player takes the place of a lynch.

4. If I change any of these rules (Or the standard rules) at any time, I'll announce it. Anything rules-related I say after making this post, publicly or privately, takes precedence over this post.
Last edited by Norinel on Fri Mar 07, 2008 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Norinel
Norinel
Not Voting (3)
Norinel
Not Voting (3)
Not Voting (3)

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Wed Mar 05, 2008 12:53 pm

Post by Norinel »

Pre-game:

Our story begins in an obscure suburb of Ingolstadt, which after the Italian fashion had a double-digit population: sixteen, to be precise. And they maintained a beautiful existence sleeping soundly through the night, ignorant of each other's professions, with only the consolation that more of their foes would be out for their minds than their lives.

But this night would be different. As it happened, every last unsavory element in this little town had the idea in their head that now was as good a time as any to start doing unsavory things, and every savory element had decided that they may as well start being useful. Some would call that a sign of a globe-spanning conspiracy, but this group was about to have its own problems...

Roles are out. It is Night 1, send choices to me ASAP.
Guardian may have to end the Night since I'll be out next week; if I have to go, I'll let people know to send choices his way.
Norinel
Norinel
Not Voting (3)
Norinel
Not Voting (3)
Not Voting (3)

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Fri Mar 07, 2008 6:30 am

Post by Norinel »

Everyone's confirmed except jack_dillon and mypenguinkat; fortunately, we had enough pre-game replacements sign up to fill those. I'll deal with that and see if we can start the Day before I leave.
Norinel
Norinel
Not Voting (3)
Norinel
Not Voting (3)
Not Voting (3)

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Fri Mar 07, 2008 10:24 am

Post by Norinel »

mnowax replaces jack_dillon.
Norinel
Norinel
Not Voting (3)
Norinel
Not Voting (3)
Not Voting (3)

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Fri Mar 07, 2008 12:35 pm

Post by Norinel »

Night 1
:

The town awoke to a murder. Where else would they start? As it happened, a normal, boring, everyday person was found shot in her normal, boring, everyday house. If names mean anything, the victim happened to be named DrippingGoofball.

But if someone was out shooting someone, that might just mean that the cults were out doing their cultish things as well. So bringing the town to justice might not just be a matter of stopping the killings, but of stopping the assault on their minds... Time for the good old daily lynch.

DrippingGoofball (Townie) - shot Night 1

It is now Day 1, 15 alive means 8 to lynch.

Recall that I'll be gone for the next week, and Guardian will be keeping an eye on the thread while I'm gone.
armlx
armlx
Most JDTay-like
armlx
Most JDTay-like
Most JDTay-like

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Fri Mar 07, 2008 12:51 pm

Post by armlx »

NOOOOOO, we lost a Nibbler.

Vote CKD
for not being a Nibbler yet, btw.
Away Wednesday the 24th through the 31st
ZaneWasHere
ZaneWasHere
Townie
ZaneWasHere
Townie
Townie

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Fri Mar 07, 2008 1:47 pm

Post by ZaneWasHere »

Random vote Greggo
to get things going.
malthusis
malthusis
Mafia Scum
malthusis
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Fri Mar 07, 2008 2:28 pm

Post by malthusis »

Random Vote armlx
for supporting Nibbler! (by the way, what made everyone get Nibbler Avatars?
Blazerunner
Blazerunner
Goon
Blazerunner
Goon
Goon

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Fri Mar 07, 2008 5:15 pm

Post by Blazerunner »

I wanted to vote Curious Karma Dog, for his avatar having a "brain-washing" feel. But armlx voted him first T-T

vote: armlx
for that

BTW, what is a nibbler?
armlx
armlx
Most JDTay-like
armlx
Most JDTay-like
Most JDTay-like

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Fri Mar 07, 2008 5:23 pm

Post by armlx »

Nibbler is a character from the TV show Futurama. He pretends to be the pet of one of the main characters, but in desperate times reveals himself as a super intelligent being who is watching Earth to keep it safe.

Aka awesome.
vikingfan
vikingfan
Mafia Scum
vikingfan
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Fri Mar 07, 2008 5:51 pm

Post by vikingfan »

random vote tss
for being before me in the player list.
Occult
Occult
Goon
Occult
Goon
Goon

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Fri Mar 07, 2008 6:01 pm

Post by Occult »

HELLO.
mnowax
mnowax
Goon
mnowax
Goon
Goon

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Fri Mar 07, 2008 6:07 pm

Post by mnowax »

not voting everyone cause you all look scummy.
Sure one more time for fun.
curiouskarmadog
curiouskarmadog
This Space for Rant
curiouskarmadog
This Space for Rant
This Space for Rant

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Fri Mar 07, 2008 6:08 pm

Post by curiouskarmadog »

vote mnowax
NO YOU'RE OVER DEFENSIVE
springlullaby
springlullaby
Mafia Scum
springlullaby
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Fri Mar 07, 2008 8:23 pm

Post by springlullaby »

vote mnowax

Me too vote.

And the nibbler avatars are mighty annoying and confusing.
DrippingGoofball
DrippingGoofball
Mafia Piñata
DrippingGoofball
Mafia Piñata
Mafia Piñata

Post Post #16 (ISO) » Sat Mar 08, 2008 4:16 am

Post by DrippingGoofball »

Bah, what a disappointment. :-(
Paraphrasing a role PM takes seconds, fabricating a good fakeclaim takes an eternity.

"Metadiving DGB is like playing Roblox" - T3
"She's sort of like a quantum computer, her reads exist in multiple states at once. u have to take into account the other dimensions." - Morning Tweet
Greggo
Greggo
Goon
Greggo
Goon
Goon

Post Post #17 (ISO) » Sat Mar 08, 2008 4:43 am

Post by Greggo »

Vote: MyPenguinKat

Penguin +
c
[b/]
at = Very evil.
Logically, by careful analysis of the workings of this primitive device, that is hardly like the machines that I am used to, I have come to the logical conclusion that this is a signature.
Greggo
Greggo
Goon
Greggo
Goon
Goon

Post Post #18 (ISO) » Sat Mar 08, 2008 4:44 am

Post by Greggo »

EBWOP -
Vote: MyPenguinKat

Penguin +
c
at = Very evil.

Stupid tags...
Logically, by careful analysis of the workings of this primitive device, that is hardly like the machines that I am used to, I have come to the logical conclusion that this is a signature.
Yosarian2
Yosarian2
(shrug)
Yosarian2
(shrug)
(shrug)

Post Post #19 (ISO) » Sat Mar 08, 2008 7:35 am

Post by Yosarian2 »

So...if I'm reading this game right, it sounds like we most likely have 2 (or more) cults, and probably a SK. Which means there if both cult recruiters suceeded last night, we might already have as many as 5 anti-town people out of 15 here.

This has the potential to get very bad, very, very fast. We need those cult recruiters dead ASAP if the town's to have any chance at all. If there is a vig, it would be a very good idea for him to kill every night at least until any and all cult recuiters seem to be dead. I also highly reccomend that any recruitable pro-town roles (vigs, roleblockers, ect) do NOT CLAIM if they can AT ALL avoid it, unless it's the only possible way they can avoid getting lynched or unless they have some really key information from their role. And since we don't really want those people to claim, we probably want to avoid multiple bandwagon-to-a-claim tactics here.
I want us to win just for Yos' inevitable rant alone. -CrashTextDummie
armlx
armlx
Most JDTay-like
armlx
Most JDTay-like
Most JDTay-like

Post Post #20 (ISO) » Sat Mar 08, 2008 7:52 am

Post by armlx »

Also, just a note to the Vig (assuming there is one), if a kill attempt fails on someone you can be 90% sure that person is scum (the only other option is you got RB'ed). Don't claim this, just kill them again the next night.
curiouskarmadog
curiouskarmadog
This Space for Rant
curiouskarmadog
This Space for Rant
This Space for Rant

Post Post #21 (ISO) » Sat Mar 08, 2008 9:44 am

Post by curiouskarmadog »

^^^that was a strange post today

why should the vig kill them again?

why are you directing the vig at night?
NO YOU'RE OVER DEFENSIVE
armlx
armlx
Most JDTay-like
armlx
Most JDTay-like
Most JDTay-like

Post Post #22 (ISO) » Sat Mar 08, 2008 9:54 am

Post by armlx »

Norinel wrote:
Cult Leader
You are the [cultname] Cult Leader. Every night, you may attempt to recruit one player into your cult or kill one player. Once you have fellow cultists, you may discuss with them at night, but the ultimate decision and responsibility to PM is yours. If you die, the cult may neither kill nor recruit; however,
you are immune to the first attempt to kill you at night.

Serial Killer
You are a Serial Killer. Each night, you may kill someone. You are completely immune to investigations and cult recruitment, and
the first attempt to kill you at night will fail.

You win when you are the last person standing.
That is why the vig should kill them again.

Actually, could I get some mod clarification on this? Does this mean

A) The first night kill attempt on them that game or
B) The first NK attempt each night.

I'm assuming A.
armlx
armlx
Most JDTay-like
armlx
Most JDTay-like
Most JDTay-like

Post Post #23 (ISO) » Sat Mar 08, 2008 9:58 am

Post by armlx »

BTW, CKD, I notice you have yet to use your Nibbler avatar.

http://www.mafiascum.net/wiki/index.php ... e:1034.jpg
Guardian
Guardian
Mafia Scum
Guardian
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #24 (ISO) » Sat Mar 08, 2008 12:56 pm

Post by Guardian »

I'll let Norinel clarify any setup questions when he returns.
Do not lynch me.
[wiki]Great Nibbler Takeover of 2008[/wiki]

Return to “Completed Large Theme Games”