Mini 545 - The Final Stand Mafia - Dramatic Finish!

shaka!!
shaka!!
Goon
shaka!!
Goon
Goon

Post Post #100 (ISO) » Sun Jan 06, 2008 8:07 pm

Post by shaka!! »

RetroDucts wrote:
shaka!! wrote:How ever I did find it odd how everyone seemed to question why Khel had assumed I was role fishing, people use pressure a lot when trying to get someone to claim, I think it would be highly likely that one or two scum are hiding with the townies how had questioned the vote.
? How does this occur to you? In his previous post he noted that he thought you were even town then votes for you, apparently non-randomly, saying you're rolefishing. What's so odd about questioning this?
I don't think it is odd that people questioned it, but I do find it odd that so many people questioned it. One person asking a question is enough, 5 people asking the same question isn't gonna get a different answer. So for this reason I think that it is highly likely that a couple scum got behind the fad to try and look more town.

As for the Retroducts vs. Khel, I think Khel might be looking into it too much, when I read Retroducts post I didn't get the feeling that he was implying something or trying to set up a trap. I like to ask questions a lot to gather informations on players, to possibly catch them lieing or to see if they make a slip up. How ever I can not deny that Khel has brought up some very good points.

My mind is unsettled on the manner.
shaka!!
shaka!!
Goon
shaka!!
Goon
Goon

Post Post #101 (ISO) » Sun Jan 06, 2008 8:09 pm

Post by shaka!! »

matter*
RetroDucts
RetroDucts
Townie
RetroDucts
Townie
Townie

Post Post #102 (ISO) » Sun Jan 06, 2008 8:30 pm

Post by RetroDucts »

Khelvaster wrote:Retroducts, I am unsettled by your definition of a random vote stage.

From my experiences, anyone seriously trying to cause a roleclaim just caused the game to leave random vote stage through that action.
Hmm, good point. And it's making me think a bit.

Firstly, I think of the start of a game as a 'random' stage, not specifically a random
vote
stage. It is essentially a tool the town uses to begin discussion, and so whatever is done to start this discussion is fine by me, whether it actually is done randomly or not.

I think I can understand what you're saying about leaving the random stage. I saw Shaka's vote as being a part of the random stage or, at most, an intentional "bandwagon" vote to apply some pressure and generate discussion, while you saw it as a deliberate attempt at getting you to claim. Personally, even if he had said, as I suggested myself saying earlier, "I'm scum, tell me your role," I wouldn't consider it a serious attempt at forcing a roleclaim even if it did push the game out of the random stage. My issue remains that you did treat it as a serious case of rolefishing, though I can now see that it may come down to different perceptions.
shaka!! wrote:How ever I can not deny that Khel has brought up some very good points.
I'm intrigued. Which points did you think were very good?
|\==|==/|\==|==/|
shaka!!
shaka!!
Goon
shaka!!
Goon
Goon

Post Post #103 (ISO) » Sun Jan 06, 2008 9:41 pm

Post by shaka!! »

Khelvaster wrote:
RetroDucts wrote:
Khelvaster wrote:On a much more relevant note,
FoS: RetroDucts for trying to set me up like that. He was equivicating what Shaka did to an actual claim. As I was typing this, I realized he could use my words against me because Shaka didn't actually claim; he just did something extremely scummy in my eyes.
So you think he could have been
town
trying to get a role claim out of you?
retroducts wrote:Khelvaster, before shaka voted for you, if I had said, "Hey, I'm scum. Tell me your role," would you have believed me?
me wrote:He was equivicating what Shaka did to an actual claim.
me wrote:On second thought, Vote: Shaka for blatant rolefishing.
me later in the game wrote:Bah, I get y'all's point. I misinterpreted what a "pressure vote" was.
Unvote
How this could possibly be construed as me thinking, at any point, that Shaka was town trying to get a claim from me is beyond me. It's common sense not to vote for people you think are town. People who want claims for no reason are almost always scum. I vote for people I think are scum. This logic follows common mafia logic. Therefore, I would not vote for someone I thought was town and wanted me to claim for no good reason (the definition of rolefishing).
I think he is right on the money here, Retro. Where did you get that idea from?
Khelvaster wrote:The difference is that random role-fishing is done in a manner too serious for random voting.
And this. I completely agree. Random voting starts discussion based on various things that happened during the random voting stage, such as someones voting habit or bandwagons etc etc. Random voting gets the game going and isn't often looked upon later on in the game. Random role-claiming could seriously effect the outcome of the game, something as mad as that is likely to get someone lynched. And lets say someone actually goes and role claims that would definitely affect the entire game, although that is unlikely.

The difference is significant.
Mizzy
Mizzy
Furry
Mizzy
Furry
Furry

Post Post #104 (ISO) » Mon Jan 07, 2008 4:27 am

Post by Mizzy »

I think all of you make very good points...but I also think this whole thing was been completely blown out of proportion. I don't know about the rest of you, but I found the exchange a little hard to follow (my eyebrows hurt from raising them so much) and it feels like one big distraction, though not one done on purpose.

No one has really stood out as scum yet, and we should maybe try to put some focus on those who haven't said much?
PokerFace: "I need to play with [Ether] or Mizzy more often."
Nightson: "I'd be more then happy to play with Ether and Mizzy. At the same time."

Muerrto: "Mizzy is my hero and I wanna be like her when I grow younger <3"
Glork
Glork
Burdened by Proficiency
Glork
Burdened by Proficiency
Burdened by Proficiency

Post Post #105 (ISO) » Mon Jan 07, 2008 7:01 am

Post by Glork »

Mizzy wrote:I don't know about the rest of you, but I found the exchange a little hard to follow (my eyebrows hurt from raising them so much) and it feels like one big distraction, though not one done on purpose.
QFT QFT QFT

Still happy with my Trebis-vote.
Green Shirt Thursdays

Get to know a Glork!
Trebis
Trebis
Goon
Trebis
Goon
Goon

Post Post #106 (ISO) » Mon Jan 07, 2008 7:44 am

Post by Trebis »

I'm gonna agree too with Mizzy. This whole encounter between Khelvaster and Retro Ducts just confused me and turned me off to the game more than anything. I don't know what it was about it, but I had a hard time following everyones arguments without my eyes glazing over.

All-in-all right now I feel like it's a case of two townies arguing with eachother, which is never a good precedent to set in a game. I've seen too many games where Day 1 gets stuck between two townies duking it out, and at the end of the day the only logical conclusion is to lynch one of the two of them. And of course in the end, you learn they're both town.
Glork wrote:Still happy with my Trebis-vote.
I had assumed it was still mostly random, but if you're happy with it, care to explain why exactly?

Also,
Unvote
whoever I was voting for.
Glork
Glork
Burdened by Proficiency
Glork
Burdened by Proficiency
Burdened by Proficiency

Post Post #107 (ISO) » Mon Jan 07, 2008 8:10 am

Post by Glork »

General gut?

I can't really say for sure. The post which I quoted, when I voted you to claim still feels off to me. I guess my train of thought goes something like this: "If you think the 'trying to get X to claim' conclusion by Khev was false to begin with, why would you go out of your way to point out that even if it were true, it's a sign that Shaka is probably not scum?"

Unnecessary and out-of-place defenses of other players ping my radar. I think it's worth looking into.
Green Shirt Thursdays

Get to know a Glork!
Mizzy
Mizzy
Furry
Mizzy
Furry
Furry

Post Post #108 (ISO) » Mon Jan 07, 2008 8:45 am

Post by Mizzy »

Glork wrote:General gut?

I can't really say for sure. The post which I quoted, when I voted you to claim still feels off to me. I guess my train of thought goes something like this: "If you think the 'trying to get X to claim' conclusion by Khev was false to begin with, why would you go out of your way to point out that even if it were true, it's a sign that Shaka is probably not scum?"

Unnecessary and out-of-place defenses of other players ping my radar. I think it's worth looking into.
I'm interested in why you feel it warranted a vote as opposed to just a FoS. Explain, please?
Nightson: "I'd be more then happy to play with Ether and Mizzy. At the same time."

Glork
Glork
Burdened by Proficiency
Glork
Burdened by Proficiency
Burdened by Proficiency

Post Post #109 (ISO) » Mon Jan 07, 2008 8:46 am

Post by Glork »

Um.

I had a vote which was sitting on somebody else for a completely random or arbitrary reason.

Votes are generally much more weighty than FoSes when instigating discussion, especially as we move out of the random stage.

Simple, ne?
Green Shirt Thursdays

Get to know a Glork!
Glork
Glork
Burdened by Proficiency
Glork
Burdened by Proficiency
Burdened by Proficiency

Post Post #110 (ISO) » Mon Jan 07, 2008 8:47 am

Post by Glork »

EBWOP: Also, I generally don't FoS unless I've got multiple suspicions which I want to voice and only one vote to place. FoSing people without voting usually seems really weak to me (though I will admit that there are times when it's appropraite). If you've got the vote, why not throw it around?
Green Shirt Thursdays

Get to know a Glork!
Mizzy
Mizzy
Furry
Mizzy
Furry
Furry

Post Post #111 (ISO) » Mon Jan 07, 2008 8:55 am

Post by Mizzy »

Glork wrote:EBWOP: Also, I generally don't FoS unless I've got multiple suspicions which I want to voice and only one vote to place. FoSing people without voting usually seems really weak to me (though I will admit that there are times when it's appropraite). If you've got the vote, why not throw it around?
Ah, I see, it's more of a playstyle thing. That explains it :) Myself, once past the random vote stage, I try and only vote for people I would not regret lynching and use FoS to point out a target before I am 100% ready to see them die.

RetroDucts
RetroDucts
Townie
RetroDucts
Townie
Townie

Post Post #112 (ISO) » Mon Jan 07, 2008 2:19 pm

Post by RetroDucts »

Glork wrote:I had a vote which was sitting on somebody else for a completely random or arbitrary reason.
I thought your vote on Khelvaster was neither random nor arbitrary. Why'd you vote him, then?

While there are still some things that worry me, I'm willing to drop the Khelvaster thing for now. I feel like I'm getting a bit tunnel-visioned. And there
are
other players in this game. =)

Both OGML and Trebis have caught my attention.
Trebis wrote:Also,
Unvote
Interestingly, he was voting for OGML.

Unvote
Vote: Trebis
|\==|==/|\==|==/|
Glork
Glork
Burdened by Proficiency
Glork
Burdened by Proficiency
Burdened by Proficiency

Post Post #113 (ISO) » Mon Jan 07, 2008 2:29 pm

Post by Glork »

It
was
arbitrary in that Khelv happened to be the first person to pick up a few votes and I happened to feel like wagoning somebody at the time I switched. There really wasn't anything else significant behind it.
Green Shirt Thursdays

Get to know a Glork!
Khelvaster
Khelvaster
Mafia Scum
Khelvaster
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #114 (ISO) » Mon Jan 07, 2008 6:35 pm

Post by Khelvaster »

RetroDucts wrote: While there aare still some things that worry me, I'm willing to drop the Khelvaster thing for now. I feel like I'm getting a bit ttunnel-visioned. And there
are
other players in this game. =)
Amen. Let's bury the hatchet for now.
Bboth OGML and Trebis have caught my attention.
Trebiis wrote:Also,
Unvote
Interestingly, he was voting for OGML.

Unvote
Vote: Trebis

Why is the fact Trebis was voting for OGML so important?
Lag actually does exist in real life. For proof, look no further than Jesus: When he died, it took him three *days* to respawn.
Glork
Glork
Burdened by Proficiency
Glork
Burdened by Proficiency
Burdened by Proficiency

Post Post #115 (ISO) » Mon Jan 07, 2008 6:50 pm

Post by Glork »

I find x and y suspicious. I notice that x votes y to start the game, but as things get serious, he removes his vote.

Take a wild guess there, champ.
Green Shirt Thursdays

Get to know a Glork!
Khelvaster
Khelvaster
Mafia Scum
Khelvaster
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #116 (ISO) » Mon Jan 07, 2008 6:53 pm

Post by Khelvaster »

Glork wrote:I find x and y suspicious. I notice that x votes y to start the game, but as things get serious, he removes his vote.

Take a wild guess there, champ.
Well, he hasn't really put together a coherent case on Trebis.
Lag actually does exist in real life. For proof, look no further than Jesus: When he died, it took him three *days* to respawn.
Glork
Glork
Burdened by Proficiency
Glork
Burdened by Proficiency
Burdened by Proficiency

Post Post #117 (ISO) » Mon Jan 07, 2008 6:55 pm

Post by Glork »

All too true. In fact, he hasn't adequately explained his suspicions of OGML either. I trust that elaboration is forthcoming, Retro?
Green Shirt Thursdays

Get to know a Glork!
Tarhalindur
Tarhalindur
Mod Screw
Tarhalindur
Mod Screw
Mod Screw

Post Post #118 (ISO) » Mon Jan 07, 2008 11:43 pm

Post by Tarhalindur »

Trebis's post 106 is pinging my scumdar - he seems to be agreeing with the (somewhat irrelevant) comments of others and talking about mafia theory (the whole "two townies arguing" paragraph), but he doesn't really offer any analysis of the game state (esp. with regards to who he thinks may be scum). That looks like a case of IIoA (Information Instead of Analysis), which has been a fairly reliable scumtell for me lately.

I don't really see the case on OMGL, however. I'm getting the impression that OMGL's early play (esp. the random vote) is a reference to Newb 507, and as such really can't be used as evidence against OMGL.

The Khelvaster/RetroDucts debate is getting Khelvaster talking, and that's a good thing in my books: I've played enough with Khelvaster (Mini 462, Mafia 67, and Newb 507 among others) to have a fairly good meta on him, though I will need to refresh my memory.

And now for something completely different: Sangy is far too under the radar for my tastes. He has only two game posts, of which one is a random vote. The other post, however, caught my eye:
Sangy wrote:Unvote, FOS Khelvaster because I don't buy that. Maybe, later on, I could see someone trying to force a claim, but that's a little early, isn't it? In addition to that, with a bandwagon of three on page two I hardly think anyone WOULD feel pressured to claim.
I find FoS'ing when you don't have a real vote out to be an incredibly scummy move, as there are two strong motivations for scum to FoS instead of vote (the motivations that lead to the Friend of Scum tell - where a scum distances via a FoS instead of a vote - and the "scum pushing a bandwagon without voting on it" tell). The lack of posting after that point also does not sit well with me (though I grant that I really don't have the right to complain on that subject).

Questions:
Trebis, who are your top 3 scum candidates and why?
Khelvaster, what are your opinions on OGML, Trebis, and myself?
OGML, what are your opinions on Trebis, Khelvaster, and myself?
Mod, can we have a Prod on Sangy?

Unvote, Vote: Sangy
FoS: Trebis
(may be upgraded to a vote if he fails to produce a Top 3 Scum List)
User out of ambit.

Error 404: Sanity Not Found
RetroDucts
RetroDucts
Townie
RetroDucts
Townie
Townie

Post Post #119 (ISO) » Tue Jan 08, 2008 2:44 am

Post by RetroDucts »

Sorry, I neglected this in my last post:
shaka!! wrote:I think he is right on the money here, Retro. Where did you get that idea from?
I explained this early in post 97.

Without meaning to get deeply back into the Khelvaster thing, Glork, did you think a vote for role-fishing at that point was reasonable? If anyone else wants to answer this too, please feel free.

I'll give some details of my suspicion of OGML and Trebis. It begins with Trebis and a few posts he made early in the game, one which Glork already mentioned. I didn't bother bringing them up at the time but after OGML took at vote off him after the slightest bit of pressure, I decided there may be more to it.

Here are the posts I noted from Trebis:
Trebis, post 24 (fixed quote tag) wrote:
RetroDucts wrote:I don't think I want to random vote this time. I actually think Tarhalindur could be onto something.

Vote: Khelvaster
I wouldn't try to deduce much from this. I've played with Khelvaster before, and he has a tendency to do things like that.
This seemed unnecessary and an almost too eager, unprompted defence. When the post was made, I felt it was too early to make anything of it.
Trebis, post 51 wrote:
Mizzy wrote:Unvote since random votes don't seem to be doing much now.
Subtle attempt at looking more pro-town? No way to prove it one way or the other, but I'm just throwing that out there.
This sounds opportunistic. Throwing suspicion out there for something I think wasn't worth publicly noting at that point.
Trebis, post 53 wrote:I seriously doubt the scum would try to get a claim out of a townie THIS early in the game.
Glork covered this one.
Trebis, post 106 wrote:I'm gonna agree too with Mizzy.
This whole encounter between Khelvaster and Retro Ducts just confused me and turned me off to the game more than anything. I don't know what it was about it, but I had a hard time following everyones arguments without my eyes glazing over.

All-in-all right now I feel like it's a case of two townies arguing with eachother, which is never a good precedent to set in a game. I've seen too many games where Day 1 gets stuck between two townies duking it out, and at the end of the day the only logical conclusion is to lynch one of the two of them. And of course in the end, you learn they're both town.
My issue with this is mostly that it sounds like Trebis hasn't really put much thought into the exchange between Khelvaster and me (I've bolded the relevant section of the post), which make the following paragraph all the more questionable. How could he claim to have read it as two townies arguing if he didn't even know what it was about? He even goes as far as to relate the situation to where mislynches take place, almost as if to foreshadow the outcome of the Day.

On to OGML:
OhGodMyLife, post 61 wrote:Khel, you're clearly overreacting to the mini bandwagon that formed on you. Pressure vote can mean a lot more than pressing for a role claim, and you've been reacting poorly under the pressure so far.
I asked him to clarify what he meant by a poor reaction because this post seemed to remain fairly ambiguous on what Khelvaster's reaction meant, in terms of alignment. There were negative connotations, but nothing that really began to commit either way. He later elaborated:
OhGodMyLife, post 95 wrote:I think Khelvaster's reaction was poor just because it was so jumpy. The only reason to come to such an early conclusion about rolefishing in my eyes is if you've got something making you think people are going to be coming at you. Which isn't specifically pro- or anti-town, just notable.
... which, again, is quite ambiguous - even accommodating.

His unvote of Trebis still doesn't sit well with me and I'm waiting on his reply to my last question.

There are a lot of players I don't have a good read on, so I think I'll need to reread. It seems like there are a few players have been going unnoticed so far.
|\==|==/|\==|==/|
Mizzy
Mizzy
Furry
Mizzy
Furry
Furry

Post Post #120 (ISO) » Tue Jan 08, 2008 3:37 am

Post by Mizzy »

Trebis has pinged my WTFdar but not so much my scumdar as of yet...however, I can see how he might have pinged some other radars. Most of his statements are unhelpful at best, but I don't have a terribly good read on him.

Trebis
Trebis
Goon
Trebis
Goon
Goon

Post Post #121 (ISO) » Tue Jan 08, 2008 10:34 am

Post by Trebis »

For some reason I haven't been able to get myself interested in this game. Also with school just starting I'm not sure how much I will be able to contribute, so instead of being
that guy,
I'm going to go ahead and ask to be replaced while the game is still young.

MOD: Please replace me.

Good luck everyone!
Glork
Glork
Burdened by Proficiency
Glork
Burdened by Proficiency
Burdened by Proficiency

Post Post #122 (ISO) » Tue Jan 08, 2008 12:46 pm

Post by Glork »

Meh.

Run up his replacement.
Green Shirt Thursdays

Get to know a Glork!
Glork
Glork
Burdened by Proficiency
Glork
Burdened by Proficiency
Burdened by Proficiency

Post Post #123 (ISO) » Tue Jan 08, 2008 12:48 pm

Post by Glork »

At the very least, Trebis, respond to RD and myself so that your replacement isn't stuck in the position of having significant suspicion levied on them to which they cannot respond.

Anything less is horribly rude and selfish.
Green Shirt Thursdays

Get to know a Glork!
Mizzy
Mizzy
Furry
Mizzy
Furry
Furry

Post Post #124 (ISO) » Tue Jan 08, 2008 2:10 pm

Post by Mizzy »

Glork wrote:At the very least, Trebis, respond to RD and myself so that your replacement isn't stuck in the position of having significant suspicion levied on them to which they cannot respond.

Anything less is horribly rude and selfish.
I agree, the timing on that was just horrid.

Return to “Completed Mini Normal Games”