Newbie 509 - Game Over

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
Xylthixlm
Xylthixlm
!xmafia win
Xylthixlm
!xmafia win
!xmafia win

Post Post #50 (ISO) » Sat Nov 17, 2007 8:34 pm

Post by Xylthixlm »

Edit by way of post: I'm going to stop responding to Dean Harper for a bit; we seem to be drowning out other discussion, and I'd like to see what everyone else thinks.
#mafia@irc.globalgamers.net

"Xyl was completely berserk" -dramonic
"Xyl's ruthless policy lynching won the game." -Vi
Dean Harper
Dean Harper
Mafia Scum
Dean Harper
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #51 (ISO) » Sat Nov 17, 2007 8:39 pm

Post by Dean Harper »

if you read the rest of my last post, you would prolly get the sense that i knew what the difference was:

Of course, you want to make sure everyone has a say in the voting and not vote out a townie, but it seems to me that you are really trying to act like a good guy. And dont get me wrong, ur doing a good job, but its a little suspicious on your part.
"If you say live together, die alone to me Jack, I'm gonna punch you in your face."

-- Rose Nadler, 'Through the Looking Glass' (Lost)
Dean Harper
Dean Harper
Mafia Scum
Dean Harper
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #52 (ISO) » Sat Nov 17, 2007 8:39 pm

Post by Dean Harper »

EBWOP:

sure, lets see wat other ppl think
"If you say live together, die alone to me Jack, I'm gonna punch you in your face."

cepi
cepi
Townie
cepi
Townie
Townie

Post Post #53 (ISO) » Sun Nov 18, 2007 7:45 am

Post by cepi »

Dean Harper wrote:EBWOP:

sure, lets see wat other ppl think
Definetely.
Rishi
Rishi
A Meer townie
Rishi
A Meer townie
A Meer townie

Post Post #54 (ISO) » Sun Nov 18, 2007 7:54 am

Post by Rishi »

I think people need to get avatars. I can't tell anyone apart.
Taking a break from MS. Please send e-mail if you want to get in touch with me.
JDodge
JDodge
Accept it
JDodge
Accept it
Accept it

Post Post #55 (ISO) » Sun Nov 18, 2007 10:23 am

Post by JDodge »

Mispeled replaces that one guy.
stream

ffxiv/speedrunning sometimes/other things?
Mispeled
Mispeled
Goon
Mispeled
Goon
Goon

Post Post #56 (ISO) » Sun Nov 18, 2007 1:57 pm

Post by Mispeled »

Hi.

Dean Harper seems to be the focus of attention. He's extremely scummy, but also clearly inexperienced. (No offense - I suggest you read the wiki, by the way, there's a lot of really good information about how the game works there.)

A quick lynch on him is a bad thing to do on D1, especially because he's a newbie. He will clearly be able to positively contribute; he is starting to look at some outside of the box stuff in this post:
Dean Harper wrote:personally, i wasnt even thinking about Cepi throwing the suspicion on me, but now that u mention it, im kinda suspicious too. Then again, im pretty suspicious of you now too Xyl, since you are waiting for that one guy's replacement to vote. If you are waiting for him, im thinking you might want to coordinate your vote with him in order to not be suspicious until you can talk to your scum partner at night.

Xylkxtczhcstkpmwxlm seems to be pro-town and a generally observant guy. Same with Cepi and Rishi.
Tenebrys is lurking. Spurgistan is lurking to a lesser degree. He's explaining the game to people, but not really actively participating.

Of all of those, I'd have to pick Spurgistan as the most suspicious, since he's an IC.
FNOS: Spurgistan
(fingernail of suspicion)
spurgistan
spurgistan
Goon
spurgistan
Goon
Goon

Post Post #57 (ISO) » Sun Nov 18, 2007 3:13 pm

Post by spurgistan »

Firstly, nice name. Secondly, I don't like getting into fights over quibbling stuff day early 1, that always seems to be townies trying like hell to get each other lynched (at least in my most recent games, the first two to get into a verbal fistfight page two ended up getting lynched despite being town)

I definitely think everybody who hasn't (and I feel like there are a few of us here who haven't) should check the Wiki out. Even if you've played a ton before, but not her (Xyl) there's plenty of stuff we do differently here. Thanks.
Dean Harper
Dean Harper
Mafia Scum
Dean Harper
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #58 (ISO) » Sun Nov 18, 2007 3:58 pm

Post by Dean Harper »

Tenebrys wrote:
Dean Harper wrote:hmmm, and what is FOS?
FOS =
F
inger
O
'
S
uspicion. It's a way of saying "I think you're scum but I'm not going to vote for you just yet.

Keeping my vote the way it is because I'm too drunk to try and read through the posts and analyze what's going on
this worries me... seems that Tenebrys is not contributing hardly at all. Im also worried because this could have been a way to communicate with a mafia partner, possible telling him/her that they shouldnt vote using the information posted just yet, as way of staying out of the spotlight?
FNOS: Tenebrys

Xylthixlm
Xylthixlm
!xmafia win
Xylthixlm
!xmafia win
!xmafia win

Post Post #59 (ISO) » Sun Nov 18, 2007 5:54 pm

Post by Xylthixlm »

Mispeled's first post is good, and makes me feel he's probably protown.

Tenebrys is lurking so I can't really say much. Add your $0.02 to the game, please.

cepi's reaction to my accusation managed to alleviate my suspicions, and he does seem to be trying to find the scum, so I'll put him at mild protown.

Dean Harper, of course, is scummy as hell, but if I haven't convinced you of that yet I'm not going to.

spurgistan is posting without adding anything to the debate, which is even more suspicious than lurking. I see some content in post 57, but not much. I'd like to see some thoughts.

Rishi is doing the same thing as spurgistan; his only post I see that says anything about what he's thinking is 22. Is this an IC thing or what?

As promised,
Vote: Dean Harper
. And can we get a
vote count
?

Dean Harper
Dean Harper
Mafia Scum
Dean Harper
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #60 (ISO) » Sun Nov 18, 2007 6:06 pm

Post by Dean Harper »

Heres a vote count:

DH: 3
Mispeled: 0
Tenebrys: 1
Cepi: 0
Xyl: 1
Spurg: 1
Rishi: 1

Dean Harper
Dean Harper
Mafia Scum
Dean Harper
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #61 (ISO) » Sun Nov 18, 2007 6:12 pm

Post by Dean Harper »

personally, i see Spurg as most suspicious.

Mispeled: seems to be protown, but he just joined, so its hard to tell.

Tenebrys: not adding much, but as such, i dont really know anything from his 2 posts

Cepi: slightly suspicious, because of reasons i stated above

Xyl: Of course, i dont like people going against me that much, but i have to say, your reasonings are mostly good, though some of them are flawed on different occasions, so ill place you at mildly suspicious

Rishi: in the middle for me, i mean, you post, and you dont get in the middle of things, but sometimes that worries me

Spurgistan: Personally, you seem to be not contributing much, and lurking like Tenebrys. and so therefore:
Unvote Vote: Tenebrys

Dean Harper
Dean Harper
Mafia Scum
Dean Harper
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #62 (ISO) » Sun Nov 18, 2007 6:12 pm

Post by Dean Harper »

Whoops:

Unvote, Vote: Spurgistan

Rishi
Rishi
A Meer townie
Rishi
A Meer townie
A Meer townie

Post Post #63 (ISO) » Sun Nov 18, 2007 6:15 pm

Post by Rishi »

Dean Harper wrote:Heres a vote count:

Mispeled: 0
Tenebrys: 1
I didn't check if this was right, but an official vote count would also be helpful.

I wonder if JDodge lurks as a mod as much as he does when playing. Hmm.

Unvote

I don't want someone to suddenly drop the hammer on Dean Harper before we get more information. As Mispeled said, Dean Harper is very newbish and might not be scum.
Dean Harper
Dean Harper
Mafia Scum
Dean Harper
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #64 (ISO) » Sun Nov 18, 2007 6:16 pm

Post by Dean Harper »

EBWOP:

wow i really screwed these last few posts up:

Mis: 0
Tene: 1

Rishi
Rishi
A Meer townie
Rishi
A Meer townie
A Meer townie

Post Post #65 (ISO) » Sun Nov 18, 2007 6:16 pm

Post by Rishi »

Sorry for the double post. As far as what Dean Harper said, it's true. I do tend to hold back in the first few pages a little and drop small, probing questions. Don't worry - I will start participating more as the game develops.
Dean Harper
Dean Harper
Mafia Scum
Dean Harper
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #66 (ISO) » Sun Nov 18, 2007 6:17 pm

Post by Dean Harper »

EBWOP:

Tene:0

cepi
cepi
Townie
cepi
Townie
Townie

Post Post #67 (ISO) » Sun Nov 18, 2007 6:21 pm

Post by cepi »

Xyl wrote:As promised, Vote: Dean Harper. And can we get a vote count?
Wait there, boy. If Im not wrong, then we have a person in L-1. This is not good for town taking in count we are in page 3. I mean, not good at all. Also, I really dont think (as I said before) that Dean Harper is scum. For me, again, hes just an eager townie.

Xyl, give me just one good reason to think Dean Harper is scum. Just one.

If somehow this situation doesnt fix and ALL the town thinks DH is scummy enough then we might linch it, but not now.

Now that I think about it, I have some interesting thoughts

1. If someone hammers DH, we have scum number 1 and possibly number 2. So, Im sure scum1 wont hammer.

2. Who do you consider the scummiest? A newbie who tries to analyse all players mistakes or an IC that puts this person in L-1?

3. Xyl, You are for now my principal suspect, but there is still a possibility that ur eagerness is somehow acting for you. Lets hope u can clarify this. For now I feel good with this.
Vote : Xyl
cepi
cepi
Townie
cepi
Townie
Townie

Post Post #68 (ISO) » Sun Nov 18, 2007 6:28 pm

Post by cepi »

I just realized a million people posted before me and after Xyl's vote. Luckily, someone unvoted.
Dean Harper
Dean Harper
Mafia Scum
Dean Harper
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #69 (ISO) » Sun Nov 18, 2007 6:32 pm

Post by Dean Harper »

after relooking teh votes are:

DH: 2
Xyl: 2
Mis: 0
Tene: 0
Rishi: 0

Xylthixlm
Xylthixlm
!xmafia win
Xylthixlm
!xmafia win
!xmafia win

Post Post #70 (ISO) » Sun Nov 18, 2007 7:03 pm

Post by Xylthixlm »

cepi wrote:Xyl, give me just one good reason to think Dean Harper is scum. Just one.
Okay. How about this...
Dean Harper wrote:
Hmm, if you really dont want to put blame on everyone until the new person gets here, then why are you FOSing me?
Sure, everyone else has voted, but in that sense, you stand out to me b/c
you havent voted at all
. Of course,
you want to make sure everyone has a say in the voting
and not vote out a townie, but it seems to me that you are really trying to act like a good guy. And dont get me wrong, ur doing a good job, but its a little suspicious on your part. But you seem to be wanting to blame cepi for something he didnt do. It was my bad that i said cepi didnt vote, the person i meant to put down was That One Guy. Cepi really had nothing to do with it. If you had done your research, you would have figured that out. Your "Super Duper FOS" was a pretty stupid move, just showing that you were ready to lynch someone outright, but not wanting to vote right away to try and avoid suspicion.
First, he says that I "don't want to put blame on everyone", which is something I never said nor meant. He uses this blatant misreading of my post to attempt to throw suspicion on me.

Next, he says I haven't voted at all, when in fact I random voted spurgistan until I removed it because I found actual scum. This is a minor thing, but it shows he's throwing out accusations without bothering to check them.

Finally, he shows that
he understood why I wasn't voting him yet
, namely that I wanted to give everyone a chance to talk, which means that his mischaracterization in the first point must have been a deliberate lie!

Is that scummy enough for you?
cepi wrote:I just realized a million people posted before me and after Xyl's vote. Luckily, someone unvoted.
I'm not going to refuse to vote someone who I'm convinced is scum just because it would put them at L-1. I believe in my vote. If there are people on the wagon who don't believe in theirs, they will unvote or they are scum.

Incidentally, I'm not IC. This is my very first game of forum mafia anywhere. I'm getting the sense that my existing play style doesn't quite fit...

spurgistan
spurgistan
Goon
spurgistan
Goon
Goon

Post Post #71 (ISO) » Sun Nov 18, 2007 7:03 pm

Post by spurgistan »

If your going to run unofficial vote counts, you might as well list who voted for who. And like I said before, I try to stay above the fray the first few pages simply because information doesn't really start coming out until after townies stop strawmanning each other.
Xylthixlm
Xylthixlm
!xmafia win
Xylthixlm
!xmafia win
!xmafia win

Post Post #72 (ISO) » Sun Nov 18, 2007 7:26 pm

Post by Xylthixlm »

After rereading all of DH's posts, especially his most recent ones, I can actually see the overaggressive newbie argument. He's trying to find scum tells (although very badly). He's also reacting well under pressure, rather than going defensive. To me that argues for him being an aggressive type. Overall, I think it warrants an
unvote
for the moment.

Now I need to reread everyone's reaction to the pressure. I think that will wait until tomorrow...

Tenebrys
Tenebrys
Townie
Tenebrys
Townie
Townie

Post Post #73 (ISO) » Sun Nov 18, 2007 11:20 pm

Post by Tenebrys »

I'll
unvote
too for now, just in case that helps with the tension here. The Dean Harper thing is, well, interesting... but, I'm not going to bandwagon him just yet. Not that I wouldn't LIKE to but I think he can have a chance to try and escape the noose.
Rishi
Rishi
A Meer townie
Rishi
A Meer townie
A Meer townie

Post Post #74 (ISO) » Mon Nov 19, 2007 2:22 am

Post by Rishi »

Umm, guys. I just didn't want Dean Harper to be at three votes. A little pressure would still be helpful to get information. EVERYONE doesn't have to unvote.

Return to “The Road to Rome [Newbie Games]”