Newbie 509 - Game Over

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
Dean Harper
Dean Harper
Mafia Scum
Dean Harper
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #25 (ISO) » Fri Nov 16, 2007 6:40 pm

Post by Dean Harper »

Unvote, Vote: spurgistan

srry about triple post, was just thinking really hard at the moment and wanted to change my vote again after something i was thinking about.
"If you say live together, die alone to me Jack, I'm gonna punch you in your face."

-- Rose Nadler, 'Through the Looking Glass' (Lost)
Xylthixlm
Xylthixlm
!xmafia win
Xylthixlm
!xmafia win
!xmafia win

Post Post #26 (ISO) » Fri Nov 16, 2007 7:52 pm

Post by Xylthixlm »

Dean Harper wrote:
Unvote, Vote: spurgistan

srry about triple post, was just thinking really hard at the moment and wanted to change my vote again after something i was thinking about.
Well don't leave us in the dark, tell us what you're thinking about.

Dean Harper's vote hopping and apparent eagerness to get to night (see post 21) make me suspicious. I see he's already at two votes, though. I'm afraid someone might hammer by accident, and I don't think it will help us for the day to end yet, so I'll just
unvote
and
FOS: Dean Harper
for now.
#mafia@irc.globalgamers.net

"Xyl was completely berserk" -dramonic
"Xyl's ruthless policy lynching won the game." -Vi
cepi
cepi
Townie
cepi
Townie
Townie

Post Post #27 (ISO) » Sat Nov 17, 2007 2:56 am

Post by cepi »

Rishi wrote:
cepi wrote:
spurgistan wrote: Inexperience-Challenged player (Essentially, not a newbie, each newbie game has 5 newbies and 2 IC players)
I see. Is it also true that our ICs are split? I mean, one of them is scum and the other is town?

Oh, and BTW I think we have 3 ICs here.
Who do you think is the third?
I think the one with a extremely difficult name is. --
FoS : Xylthixlm
Or it is too obvious or I'm missing something.
Rishi
Rishi
A Meer townie
Rishi
A Meer townie
A Meer townie

Post Post #28 (ISO) » Sat Nov 17, 2007 4:51 am

Post by Rishi »

cepi wrote:
Rishi wrote:
cepi wrote:
spurgistan wrote: Inexperience-Challenged player (Essentially, not a newbie, each newbie game has 5 newbies and 2 IC players)
I see. Is it also true that our ICs are split? I mean, one of them is scum and the other is town?

Oh, and BTW I think we have 3 ICs here.
Who do you think is the third?
I think the one with a extremely difficult name is. --
FoS : Xylthixlm
Or it is too obvious or I'm missing something.
Xylthixlm has been registered on this site for a long time, but this is his first game on here.

I assume from the sig that he has played on other sites. However, I have played occasionally on other sites, and have found that the style of play is very different.
Taking a break from MS. Please send e-mail if you want to get in touch with me.
Dean Harper
Dean Harper
Mafia Scum
Dean Harper
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #29 (ISO) » Sat Nov 17, 2007 6:33 am

Post by Dean Harper »

well, i was just thinking about how Spurg is an IC, and he was talking about how he wouldnt take his own advice, so im assuming he is trying to get attention away from himself. thats why i changed my vote.
"If you say live together, die alone to me Jack, I'm gonna punch you in your face."

Xylthixlm
Xylthixlm
!xmafia win
Xylthixlm
!xmafia win
!xmafia win

Post Post #30 (ISO) » Sat Nov 17, 2007 6:55 am

Post by Xylthixlm »

Rishi wrote:Xylthixlm has been registered on this site for a long time, but this is his first game on here.

I assume from the sig that he has played on other sites. However, I have played occasionally on other sites, and have found that the style of play is very different.
I play on the MTGS chat mafia (#mafia@irc.globalgamerscenter.net), which is very different from forum mafia. Games rarely last longer than 30 minutes or so.

Dean Harper
Dean Harper
Mafia Scum
Dean Harper
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #31 (ISO) » Sat Nov 17, 2007 7:42 am

Post by Dean Harper »

hmmm, and what is FOS?

Rishi
Rishi
A Meer townie
Rishi
A Meer townie
A Meer townie

Post Post #32 (ISO) » Sat Nov 17, 2007 7:44 am

Post by Rishi »

Xylthixlm wrote:
Rishi wrote:Xylthixlm has been registered on this site for a long time, but this is his first game on here.

I play on the MTGS chat mafia (#mafia@irc.globalgamerscenter.net), which is very different from forum mafia. Games rarely last longer than 30 minutes or so.
Game experience does count, so I wouldn't consider you a newbie. I mostly play on here and face-to-face. The games are VERY different. But, I find that playing face-to-face makes me a better forum player and vice versa.
Taking a break from MS. Please send e-mail if you want to get in touch with me.
Tenebrys
Tenebrys
Townie
Tenebrys
Townie
Townie

Post Post #33 (ISO) » Sat Nov 17, 2007 12:19 pm

Post by Tenebrys »

Dean Harper wrote:hmmm, and what is FOS?
FOS =
F
inger
O
'
S
uspicion. It's a way of saying "I think you're scum but I'm not going to vote for you just yet.

Keeping my vote the way it is because I'm too drunk to try and read through the posts and analyze what's going on.
Dean Harper
Dean Harper
Mafia Scum
Dean Harper
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #34 (ISO) » Sat Nov 17, 2007 3:35 pm

Post by Dean Harper »

hmm, that one guy hasnt posted at all yet... it makes me wonder...

FOS: that one guy

Xylthixlm
Xylthixlm
!xmafia win
Xylthixlm
!xmafia win
!xmafia win

Post Post #35 (ISO) » Sat Nov 17, 2007 3:51 pm

Post by Xylthixlm »

Dean Harper wrote:hmm, that one guy hasnt posted at all yet... it makes me wonder...

FOS: that one guy
I believe he's going to be replaced.

spurgistan
spurgistan
Goon
spurgistan
Goon
Goon

Post Post #36 (ISO) » Sat Nov 17, 2007 3:52 pm

Post by spurgistan »

Why would you FOS somebody for possibly being an IC? Experience doesn't make you any more likely to be scum, and anyways, IRC games are about as different then forum games as cricket to baseball (similar, and it's easier to figure one out if you know the other, but they are far from being the same thing) Anyways, this IC/Newbie thing is designed so that we don't have a game with 7 players all new to forum Mafia, if there are more experienced players than need be, it should be a better game.
Dean Harper
Dean Harper
Mafia Scum
Dean Harper
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #37 (ISO) » Sat Nov 17, 2007 3:52 pm

Post by Dean Harper »

ah, ok

Dean Harper
Dean Harper
Mafia Scum
Dean Harper
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #38 (ISO) » Sat Nov 17, 2007 3:55 pm

Post by Dean Harper »

spurgistan wrote:Why would you FOS somebody for possibly being an IC? Experience doesn't make you any more likely to be scum, and anyways, IRC games are about as different then forum games as cricket to baseball (similar, and it's easier to figure one out if you know the other, but they are far from being the same thing) Anyways, this IC/Newbie thing is designed so that we don't have a game with 7 players all new to forum Mafia, if there are more experienced players than need be, it should be a better game.
i didnt say it was specifically because you were an IC, it just seemed like you were trying to get attention away from yourself. and now that you seem to be wanting people to not vote for you so strongly, it makes me even more suspicious

cepi
cepi
Townie
cepi
Townie
Townie

Post Post #39 (ISO) » Sat Nov 17, 2007 4:36 pm

Post by cepi »

Rishi wrote:
Xylthixlm wrote:

Game experience does count, so I wouldn't consider you a newbie. I mostly play on here and face-to-face. The games are VERY different. But, I find that playing face-to-face makes me a better forum player and vice versa.
I agree with you here Rishi. Thats why I say I think we have 3 ICs, and I must agree too that this is good for the game. Is there a way I can
UnFos : Xyl?

BTW we have an eager player here. He votes for and gives Fos to everyone. How suspicious is this?
Dean Harper
Dean Harper
Mafia Scum
Dean Harper
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #40 (ISO) » Sat Nov 17, 2007 4:57 pm

Post by Dean Harper »

no, just have a hard time deciding on who i want to vote for, but now i think ive made my final decision

Dean Harper
Dean Harper
Mafia Scum
Dean Harper
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #41 (ISO) » Sat Nov 17, 2007 4:58 pm

Post by Dean Harper »

i only Fos'd that one guy bc he hadnt posted yet, only to find out he was being replaced.

Xylthixlm
Xylthixlm
!xmafia win
Xylthixlm
!xmafia win
!xmafia win

Post Post #42 (ISO) » Sat Nov 17, 2007 6:41 pm

Post by Xylthixlm »

cepi wrote:BTW we have an eager player here. He votes for and gives Fos to everyone. How suspicious is this?
Cepi is throwing suspicion on Dean Harper, but not voting or FOS'ing. That makes me suspect a cepi/Dean Harper scum team is a possibility....
Dean Harper wrote:hmmm, only cepi needs to vote till night begins
... Which makes me think that this might be an attempt by the scum to communicate during the day.

I'll wait to vote until That One Guy's replacement appears, but I'm extremely suspicious of Dean Harper right now, and moderately suspicious of cepi.

Dean Harper
Dean Harper
Mafia Scum
Dean Harper
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #43 (ISO) » Sat Nov 17, 2007 6:51 pm

Post by Dean Harper »

personally, i wasnt even thinking about Cepi throwing the suspicion on me, but now that u mention it, im kinda suspicious too. Then again, im pretty suspicious of you now too Xyl, since you are waiting for that one guy's replacement to vote. If you are waiting for him, im thinking you might want to coordinate your vote with him in order to not be suspicious until you can talk to your scum partner at night.

cepi
cepi
Townie
cepi
Townie
Townie

Post Post #44 (ISO) » Sat Nov 17, 2007 7:57 pm

Post by cepi »

Xylthixlm wrote:
cepi wrote:BTW we have an eager player here. He votes for and gives Fos to everyone. How suspicious is this?
Cepi is throwing suspicion on Dean Harper, but not voting or FOS'ing. That makes me suspect a cepi/Dean Harper scum team is a possibility....
Wrong lecture, Xyl. Let me explain this although I think ICs probably have already noticed it.

I simply didnt FOS or vote Dean Harper because I was only asking other players' opinion and, although this might add some spice to this affair, I really dont think DH is scum. If hes one then his strategy is blatantly stupid. For me, hes an eager townie that isnt scared of posting and posting, finding little mistakes and grabbing town's attention. (maybe too much for his security)
Xylthixlm wrote:
... Which makes me think that this might be an attempt by the scum to communicate during the day.
For the record, I had already voted when DH posted this. Also, I dont see what would DH try to communicate with this. Care to explain?
Xylthixlm
Xylthixlm
!xmafia win
Xylthixlm
!xmafia win
!xmafia win

Post Post #45 (ISO) » Sat Nov 17, 2007 7:59 pm

Post by Xylthixlm »

Lynching before everyone has had a chance to talk is very bad play for the town. If That One Guy is town, his replacement should get a chance to weigh in with opinions, and if he's scum, we won't get evidence of that if we lynch too soon.

The fact that you're trying to throw suspicion on me for
giving everyone a chance to contribute
, which is
good for the town
, is ridiculous. If I wasn't withholding my vote for the reasons stated above, I would vote you in a heartbeat.

I upgrade my FOS to a
Super Duper FOS: Dean Harper
, which I will change to a vote after the replacement has had a chance to speak, unless something happens to change my mind.

Xylthixlm
Xylthixlm
!xmafia win
Xylthixlm
!xmafia win
!xmafia win

Post Post #46 (ISO) » Sat Nov 17, 2007 8:15 pm

Post by Xylthixlm »

cepi wrote: Wrong lecture, Xyl. Let me explain this although I think ICs probably have already noticed it.

I simply didnt FOS or vote Dean Harper because I was only asking other players' opinion and, although this might add some spice to this affair, I really dont think DH is scum.
My reading of "How suspicious is this?" was as "Wow, I think this is really suspicious", not as "I'm not sure if that should make me suspicious is not." It didn't even occur to me that you might have meant it as an honest question.

I guess this highlights the difficulty of conveying meaning through text.
cepi wrote:If hes one then his strategy is blatantly stupid. For me, hes an eager townie that isnt scared of posting and posting, finding little mistakes and grabbing town's attention. (maybe too much for his security)
This is the "he's acting too scummy to be scum" argument. My chat mafia experience tells me that newbies who act really scummy are likely to be scum. Maybe it's different here?
cepi wrote:For the record, I had already voted when DH posted this. Also, I dont see what would DH try to communicate with this. Care to explain?
If he thought that day would end as soon as everyone had voted, then what he wrote could be read as prodding you to vote so the day would end. Sort of like "I see X is at lynch minus one. I guess he must be scum, or else the scum would hammer him and win." (It's valid townie logic, but it can also remind a slow scum partner to hammer...)

Dean Harper
Dean Harper
Mafia Scum
Dean Harper
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #47 (ISO) » Sat Nov 17, 2007 8:19 pm

Post by Dean Harper »

Hmm, if you really dont want to put blame on everyone until the new person gets here, then why are you FOSing me? Sure, everyone else has voted, but in that sense, you stand out to me b/c you havent voted at all. Of course, you want to make sure everyone has a say in the voting and not vote out a townie, but it seems to me that you are really trying to act like a good guy. And dont get me wrong, ur doing a good job, but its a little suspicious on your part. But you seem to be wanting to blame cepi for something he didnt do. It was my bad that i said cepi didnt vote, the person i meant to put down was That One Guy. Cepi really had nothing to do with it. If you had done your research, you would have figured that out. Your "Super Duper FOS" was a pretty stupid move, just showing that you were ready to lynch someone outright, but not wanting to vote right away to try and avoid suspicion.

Dean Harper
Dean Harper
Mafia Scum
Dean Harper
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #48 (ISO) » Sat Nov 17, 2007 8:23 pm

Post by Dean Harper »

Xylthixlm wrote:
(It's valid townie logic, but it can also remind a slow scum partner to hammer...)

hmmm, but wouldnt that "slow scum partner" have already lynched with me if i were scum?

Xylthixlm
Xylthixlm
!xmafia win
Xylthixlm
!xmafia win
!xmafia win

Post Post #49 (ISO) » Sat Nov 17, 2007 8:33 pm

Post by Xylthixlm »

Dean Harper wrote:Hmm, if you really dont want to put blame on everyone until the new person gets here, then why are you FOSing me?
You are totally misrepresenting what I have said. I am FOSing you because
I think you are scum
. I never said I don't want to put blame on anyone. I said I don't want to have a lynch happen and send the game to night too early. You should stop and consider the difference between "discussion" and "voting". If you're town, you should also stop and think if you can see any reasons why discussion is
good
, but lynching too soon is
bad
. (Hint: The second prevents the first.)

Return to “The Road to Rome [Newbie Games]”