charter
charter
Beware of Dog
charter
Beware of Dog
Beware of Dog

Post Post #25 (ISO) » Sun Oct 28, 2007 3:31 am

Post by charter »

Disciple Slayer wrote:charter, better post an explanation fast.

FOS: charter

I don't know what to think of Lord Nikon/Dark Lady Shaiann yet.
Post an explanation of what? That I went from one random vote to another for really no reason?
Dark_Lady_Shaiann
Dark_Lady_Shaiann
Goon
Dark_Lady_Shaiann
Goon
Goon

Post Post #26 (ISO) » Sun Oct 28, 2007 9:40 am

Post by Dark_Lady_Shaiann »

Lord Nikon wrote:
Dark_Lady_Shaiann wrote:
Random Vote: Lord Nikon

Cause he's not dark like me.
You claim that your vote is random, yet you give a reason for it? I believe we're now out of the random voting stage and we've caught us a scum.

Unvote, Vote: Dark Lady Shaiann
It's a random reason for a random vote.....
Nudude
Nudude
Goon
Nudude
Goon
Goon

Post Post #27 (ISO) » Sun Oct 28, 2007 3:04 pm

Post by Nudude »

charter wrote:
Disciple Slayer wrote:charter, better post an explanation fast.

FOS: charter

I don't know what to think of Lord Nikon/Dark Lady Shaiann yet.
Post an explanation of what? That I went from one random vote to another for really no reason?
Well I'm willing to accept that explaination for now, just be careful swinging around votes because you feel like it.

Generally, people will throw out a random vote, then either jump on a bandwagon, OMGUS, jump off a potential early hammer or some new information comes to light to make them change their vote.

If you don't really care who your voting for, maybe you don't really care who we lynch? That's what got me suspicous.

As I said, I'm willing to accept your explaination for now, but IGMEOY.

If conversation doesn't pick up guys, we might have to start having a look at some of the lurkers. Mods are quite happy to throw deadlines on threads that aren't moving, so we've got to get some more people talking.
deepthought
deepthought
Townie
deepthought
Townie
Townie

Post Post #28 (ISO) » Sun Oct 28, 2007 3:38 pm

Post by deepthought »

Nudude wrote: If you don't really care who your voting for, maybe you don't really care who we lynch? That's what got me suspicous.

(Is that "I've Got My Eye On You"?)

It's a weak case to springboard off of even during D1, and I'd be much more interested in the way you've maneuvered around so far.
Nudude wrote:I certainly hope that doesn't happen this game. There's nothing wrong with voicing thoughts, and I think it's important people can feel comfortable voicing their thoughts without fear of being speed lynched.
That, for example, smacks of trying too hard. It's an easy snipe from the wings (people should
discuss
things! :idea: ) that uses a lot of words to effectively just say that charter voted twice. That's not that remarkable early on.
Nudude wrote:If conversation doesn't pick up guys, we might have to start having a look at some of the lurkers.
Another easy snipe: lurkers are a safe target because they don't hit back and nobody really likes them anyway. You don't even pick on anyone, just suggest "guys, we should potentially do...something."

It's doubly odd considering the town's in no danger of a deadline and things are moving along reasonably, if a bit slowly (I'm an SA native, I should be the one getting impatient. :))
Nudude
Nudude
Goon
Nudude
Goon
Goon

Post Post #29 (ISO) » Sun Oct 28, 2007 4:34 pm

Post by Nudude »

deepthought wrote:
Nudude wrote: If you don't really care who your voting for, maybe you don't really care who we lynch? That's what got me suspicous.

(Is that "I've Got My Eye On You"?)

It's a weak case to springboard off of even during D1, and I'd be much more interested in the way you've maneuvered around so far.
It is a weak case, I admit that. A mere straw....but straws turn into haystacks. I'm not accusing charter of anything, well not yet at least.
deepthought wrote:
Nudude wrote:I certainly hope that doesn't happen this game. There's nothing wrong with voicing thoughts, and I think it's important people can feel comfortable voicing their thoughts without fear of being speed lynched.
That, for example, smacks of trying too hard. It's an easy snipe from the wings (people should
discuss
things! :idea: ) that uses a lot of words to effectively just say that charter voted twice. That's not that remarkable early on.
Actually, I was addressing Infinitive's post:
Infinitive wrote:
Vote: No Vote

Everyone else is voting so far, so I'm gonna cool my heels and read what people have to say for now. Besides, I got lynched in my last game for trying to figure things out.
Town wants people to talk, so we can gather information on people.

Scum obviously wants there to be as little information as possible, thereby making it harder to pick them.

If people are afraid of getting lynched for simply voicing a thought they have, we are going to lose because there will not be enough information to make educated votes. I also don't want people to have an excuse for lurking.
deepthought wrote:
Nudude wrote:If conversation doesn't pick up guys, we might have to start having a look at some of the lurkers.
Another easy snipe: lurkers are a safe target because they don't hit back and nobody really likes them anyway. You don't even pick on anyone, just suggest "guys, we should potentially do...something."
At least I'm contributing, rather than coming out swinging at the guy proposing that we start having a look a lurkers......how many posts had you made before this? Is it coincidence that your comment comes after I propose we start having a look at lurkers?

Having said that though, I am glad that you are at least having a look and voicing some thoughts (even if it is me!).

How about we start having a look at the people not contributing?
liamcool
liamcool
Goon
liamcool
Goon
Goon

Post Post #30 (ISO) » Sun Oct 28, 2007 4:51 pm

Post by liamcool »

Actually, in regards to your post, Nudude, it's made me kinda suspicious about Infinitive. Not wanting people to vote means the scum get an obvious advantage. Yes, I know, this probably doesn't make a ton of sense, but eh.
we cry under the sheltering sky
VampyreLord
VampyreLord
Townie
VampyreLord
Townie
Townie

Post Post #31 (ISO) » Sun Oct 28, 2007 5:06 pm

Post by VampyreLord »

come
on
fellas. These are all at least
semi
-random votes. We can't really base any suspicouns (argh) on anything at this point. You guys seem real jumpy.
Ok, so what's the speed of dark?

Extreme problem posting on each second week, figure out when that is for yourself.
deepthought
deepthought
Townie
deepthought
Townie
Townie

Post Post #32 (ISO) » Sun Oct 28, 2007 5:30 pm

Post by deepthought »

Nudude wrote:At least I'm contributing, rather than coming out swinging at the guy proposing that we start having a look a lurkers......how many posts had you made before this? Is it coincidence that your comment comes after I propose we start having a look at lurkers?
One of the things that plays out differently on SA is the opening, where a few jokevotes get thrown around for the hell of it and people start posting actual stuff within a few hours or so. This game's been just the opposite: everyone plunks down a vote and nothing else, disappears, and things start to stall (because a jokevote is contributing, amirite?). Normally I'd be a bit more chatty, but you need something to work with.

All of that aside, your post still comes off as forced. If your concern is purely lurkers killing the game, why go after the guy with two posts (two votes, even) and not one of the quieter ones?
charter
charter
Beware of Dog
charter
Beware of Dog
Beware of Dog

Post Post #33 (ISO) » Sun Oct 28, 2007 5:42 pm

Post by charter »

Nudude wrote:If you don't really care who your voting for, maybe you don't really care who we lynch? That's what got me suspicous.
Where did I say I don't really care who we lynch? I most certainly do care, I want to lynch scum. However, in case you haven't noticed, none of the people I've voted for were in any danger whatsoever of being lynched.

I don't really find Infinitive not voting to be that suspicious. It doesn't look like he's anti lynch, just anti random voting.
Disciple Slayer
Disciple Slayer
Goon
Disciple Slayer
Goon
Goon

Post Post #34 (ISO) » Sun Oct 28, 2007 6:57 pm

Post by Disciple Slayer »

Speaking of inactivity, I'm going to be away for three days.

unvote VampyreLord
Show
______
l.........l..........
l........[color=red]O[/color]..........
l........[color=red]/l\[/color].........
l........[color=red]/\[/color]......... /OUT on all my current games
l......................
===________
Disciple Slayer
Disciple Slayer
Goon
Disciple Slayer
Goon
Goon

Post Post #35 (ISO) » Sun Oct 28, 2007 6:59 pm

Post by Disciple Slayer »

FOS ShotgunKitten
for voting Lord Nikon for no reason and for not talking much.
Show
______
l.........l..........
l........[color=red]O[/color]..........
l........[color=red]/l\[/color].........
l........[color=red]/\[/color]......... /OUT on all my current games
l......................
===________
Nudude
Nudude
Goon
Nudude
Goon
Goon

Post Post #36 (ISO) » Sun Oct 28, 2007 8:44 pm

Post by Nudude »

deepthought wrote:
Nudude wrote:At least I'm contributing, rather than coming out swinging at the guy proposing that we start having a look a lurkers......how many posts had you made before this? Is it coincidence that your comment comes after I propose we start having a look at lurkers?
One of the things that plays out differently on SA is the opening, where a few jokevotes get thrown around for the hell of it and people start posting actual stuff within a few hours or so. This game's been just the opposite: everyone plunks down a vote and nothing else, disappears, and things start to stall (because a jokevote is contributing, amirite?). Normally I'd be a bit more chatty, but you need something to work with.

All of that aside, your post still comes off as forced. If your concern is purely lurkers killing the game, why go after the guy with two posts (two votes, even) and not one of the quieter ones?
Your right, everyone has just plunked down a vote, and the game was stalling, but now we have at least got something rolling, and we are starting to get something to work with =).

My concern isn't so much lurkers, as much as people just sitting around, and nothing developing, no conversation and no information to work off. Lurkers are etiher lurking, because, as you said, they have nothing to work off, or because they don't *want* people talking and formualting opinions.

By getting lurkers to get more involved, people will start talking, and before you know it, people won't be able to use the excuse "Well, there's nothing really to work on.

I picked charter simply because I had one of two votes on him, and he was as good as anyone. If you think there is a better target, then please let me know and we'll focus on them instead.

TBH, there's nothing IMO to indicate anyone is scum yet, but you gotta start somewhere.
Gorgon
Gorgon
Goon
Gorgon
Goon
Goon

Post Post #37 (ISO) » Mon Oct 29, 2007 12:40 am

Post by Gorgon »

deepthought wrote:One of the things that plays out differently on SA is the opening, where a few jokevotes get thrown around for the hell of it and people start posting actual stuff within a few hours or so. This game's been just the opposite: everyone plunks down a vote and nothing else, disappears, and things start to stall (because a jokevote is contributing, amirite?). Normally I'd be a bit more chatty, but you need something to work with.
To be fair, this game started just before the weekend. Weekends tend to be slow online in general, in my experience ... and they're definitely slow on Mafiascum.
liamcool wrote:Actually, in regards to your post, Nudude, it's made me kinda suspicious about Infinitive. Not wanting people to vote means the scum get an obvious advantage. Yes, I know, this probably doesn't make a ton of sense, but eh.
No, it doesn't make a lot of sense. Everyone wants people to vote, it's just that scum want people to vote for townies. How does not voting give scum an advantage?
Infinitive
Infinitive
Goon
Infinitive
Goon
Goon

Post Post #38 (ISO) » Mon Oct 29, 2007 2:42 am

Post by Infinitive »

Sorry for being quiet, guys; this is only my second game, and I'm trying the "How to be a good townie" strategy from the article someone posted around here. I'm not encouraging other people not to vote, I'm just not going to throw mine at someone until I have a reason to yet.

And yes, I am watching a couple of people, but there's no reason to jump the gun this early. Better to cool your heels and watch than open a possible scum-jump lynch, eh?
Ha! I'm being snarky and condescending to you on an internet forum! Take that, some guy I'll never meet!
Hang 'em High
Hang 'em High
Goon
Hang 'em High
Goon
Goon

Post Post #39 (ISO) » Mon Oct 29, 2007 5:12 am

Post by Hang 'em High »

Hello, everyone. Sorry for not posting sooner; as you'll see from my signature, weekends are tough for me. Day one is largely a guessing game, but we've got to start somewhere. The one thing that stood out to me while reading the weekend's posts was Dark_Lady_Shaiann putting a 4th vote on Lord Nikon. A 4th vote on page 1 is a little odd. She said it was a random vote, but there was no dice roll to back it up. While it probably
was
random, it's possible she was claiming random while trying to get a bandwagon going. Now I know a 4th vote isn't a big deal since the risk of a quick lynch is minimal, but it was the only thing that caught my eye at all so for now I'm going to:

Vote: Dark_Lady_Shaiann
There are two types of people in the world -- those who divide people into types and those who don't.

Note: I've got LA on weekends and in the evening.
Infinitive
Infinitive
Goon
Infinitive
Goon
Goon

Post Post #40 (ISO) » Mon Oct 29, 2007 7:49 am

Post by Infinitive »

Hey, I got L-1'd on the first page of my first game. Sometimes people just have a brain fart when they're setting the random votes. I'm still not convinced of anything.

The corollary is that I got lynched on the top of page 4, so maybe that just means that my first game was screwy.
Ha! I'm being snarky and condescending to you on an internet forum! Take that, some guy I'll never meet!
Nudude
Nudude
Goon
Nudude
Goon
Goon

Post Post #41 (ISO) » Mon Oct 29, 2007 8:25 am

Post by Nudude »

Infinitive wrote:Sorry for being quiet, guys; this is only my second game, and I'm trying the "How to be a good townie" strategy from the article someone posted around here. I'm not encouraging other people not to vote, I'm just not going to throw mine at someone until I have a reason to yet.

And yes, I am watching a couple of people, but there's no reason to jump the gun this early. Better to cool your heels and watch than open a possible scum-jump lynch, eh?
Fair enough, do you have a link to this article? I get the impression there are a fair amount of new people in this game, and I'm sure everyone would appreciate some good advice =).

It seems to me people are of the mindset if there's nothing to talk about, then you shoudn't post. Do you see how if everyone had that mindset, then no-one would ever post?

I think we've established that a speed lynch is a bad idea, and that there is also absolutely no reason to rush a lynch. What we *do* need to start doing though is getting people to talk.

You seem to have been watching the game fairly closely, have you formed any thoughts?
charter
charter
Beware of Dog
charter
Beware of Dog
Beware of Dog

Post Post #42 (ISO) » Mon Oct 29, 2007 11:50 am

Post by charter »

Infinitive wrote:Hey, I got L-1'd on the first page of my first game. Sometimes people just have a brain fart when they're setting the random votes. I'm still not convinced of anything.

The corollary is that I got lynched on the top of page 4, so maybe that just means that my first game was screwy.
Yeah, I put someone at L-1 because I wasn't thinking and I was the prime suspect for scum for the rest of the game. (when I was in fact the cop)

I agree with you Nudude, that we need people to post regardless of if they have something to post about, else we won't ever find scum. However, I don't think you have to vote if there isn't someone you wish to vote for, but you should be looking for someone to vote for.
VampyreLord
VampyreLord
Townie
VampyreLord
Townie
Townie

Post Post #43 (ISO) » Mon Oct 29, 2007 3:54 pm

Post by VampyreLord »

charter wrote:
Infinitive wrote:Hey, I got L-1'd on the first page of my first game. Sometimes people just have a brain fart when they're setting the random votes. I'm still not convinced of anything.

Yeah, I put someone at L-1 because I wasn't thinking and I was the prime suspect for scum for the rest of the game. (when I was in fact the cop)
Bah, charter and Infinitive are both sticking up for DLS. Could be a link between any of them. Could be Scum, Masons or Cult. Ain't much but at least something. IGMEOY.
Ok, so what's the speed of dark?

Extreme problem posting on each second week, figure out when that is for yourself.
charter
charter
Beware of Dog
charter
Beware of Dog
Beware of Dog

Post Post #44 (ISO) » Mon Oct 29, 2007 4:01 pm

Post by charter »

VampyreLord wrote:
charter wrote:

Bah, charter and Infinitive are both sticking up for DLS. Could be a link between any of them. Could be Scum, Masons or Cult. Ain't much but at least something. IGMEOY.
Where am I "sticking up for" let alone even talking about/with Dark lady shaiann? I don't see where Infinitive does this either. Care to explain your statement?
Infinitive
Infinitive
Goon
Infinitive
Goon
Goon

Post Post #45 (ISO) » Mon Oct 29, 2007 4:44 pm

Post by Infinitive »

Here's the link to the article:
http://www.mafiascum.net/cgi-bin/wiki.p ... ood_Townie

And, for the record, I am of the opinion that 3 votes in a game this large does not necessarily make a scum. OTOH, it is somewhat suspicious. For now, I'm willing to write it off, but it did put Shaiann a little higher on the suspicion tree than most.

And I am beginning to realize that I may not be quiet enough to be a good townie right now. Pardon me if I lurk for a day.
charter
charter
Beware of Dog
charter
Beware of Dog
Beware of Dog

Post Post #46 (ISO) » Mon Oct 29, 2007 4:57 pm

Post by charter »

Infinitive wrote:And I am beginning to realize that I may not be quiet enough to be a good townie right now. Pardon me if I lurk for a day.
There's nothing saying quiet people are good townies. Quiet people can also make good scum, and vocal people can make good townies.
Shotgun_Kitten
Shotgun_Kitten
Townie
Shotgun_Kitten
Townie
Townie

Post Post #47 (ISO) » Mon Oct 29, 2007 5:13 pm

Post by Shotgun_Kitten »

FOS ShotgunKitten for voting Lord Nikon for no reason and for not talking much.
Sorry. Started a new job. Work 40 some odd hours a week. By the time I get home Dad's on the computer...so I can post once or twice in the mornings, and that's about it. So sorry for the slowness guys.
Beauty is only skin deep, and yet it is something everyone yearns for.
liamcool
liamcool
Goon
liamcool
Goon
Goon

Post Post #48 (ISO) » Mon Oct 29, 2007 6:58 pm

Post by liamcool »

Gorgon wrote:
deepthought wrote:One of the things that plays out differently on SA is the opening, where a few jokevotes get thrown around for the hell of it and people start posting actual stuff within a few hours or so. This game's been just the opposite: everyone plunks down a vote and nothing else, disappears, and things start to stall (because a jokevote is contributing, amirite?). Normally I'd be a bit more chatty, but you need something to work with.
To be fair, this game started just before the weekend. Weekends tend to be slow online in general, in my experience ... and they're definitely slow on Mafiascum.
liamcool wrote:Actually, in regards to your post, Nudude, it's made me kinda suspicious about Infinitive. Not wanting people to vote means the scum get an obvious advantage. Yes, I know, this probably doesn't make a ton of sense, but eh.
No, it doesn't make a lot of sense. Everyone wants people to vote, it's just that scum want people to vote for townies. How does not voting give scum an advantage?
If people don't vote, the people who are voted against can't defend themselves (because they're not voted for, obviously), and then the town doesn't have as much information as they might possibly have.
Dark_Lady_Shaiann
Dark_Lady_Shaiann
Goon
Dark_Lady_Shaiann
Goon
Goon

Post Post #49 (ISO) » Mon Oct 29, 2007 7:10 pm

Post by Dark_Lady_Shaiann »

Hang 'em High wrote:Hello, everyone. Sorry for not posting sooner; as you'll see from my signature, weekends are tough for me. Day one is largely a guessing game, but we've got to start somewhere. The one thing that stood out to me while reading the weekend's posts was Dark_Lady_Shaiann putting a 4th vote on Lord Nikon. A 4th vote on page 1 is a little odd. She said it was a random vote, but there was no dice roll to back it up. While it probably
was
random, it's possible she was claiming random while trying to get a bandwagon going. Now I know a 4th vote isn't a big deal since the risk of a quick lynch is minimal, but it was the only thing that caught my eye at all so for now I'm going to:

Vote: Dark_Lady_Shaiann
I would have voted for him earlier, but to be honest I didn't even really know he was there until some one else voted for him >_< I just thought it would be kind of on the funny side......

unvote

Return to “Completed Mini Normal Games”