Elmo
Mafia Scum
Elmo
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #850 (ISO) » Tue Jan 01, 2008 12:38 pm

Post by Elmo »

Skruffs = obv town, DoS = obv scum :P

Yeah, I wanted to just claim and ask DoS to hammer, but I would have felt like a retard if there was some kind of power that could have changed the outcome. I don't particularly mind, it was over fairly quickly.

*noogies ryan*
:)

mneme: I think I caught on to what you're talking about, but never said anything. I read the game through once, thought for a bit, and thought to myself "hmm, these guys are distanced well". I was fairly sure KScope was distancing with DoS after a bit of thought; I think I kind of drifted towards you, but I can't remember why, exactly. I imagine you must have figured it out by the end, but when and how did you spot me/us?

Personally, I was also trying to concentrate on the other scum rather than town, but we kinda inadvertantly ran out of townies... PEG's computer + Farside's modkill + FaerieLord + VRK's non-slip is quite a combo. I thought Skruffs did well; nominating FaerieLord is probably the only thing he did wrong, and that's entirely understandable.

I thought FL was town (it's fairly obvious from my point of view), and I wanted to try and avoid his lynch because these kind of endgames are unavoidably volatile; Kuribo pretty much played kingmaker.

How was I, Pug?

gg!
Succinctness is pro-town.

Passion is inversely proportional to the amount of real information available. ~ Gregory Benford
farside22
farside22
Mafia Mum
farside22
Mafia Mum
Mafia Mum

Post Post #851 (ISO) » Tue Jan 01, 2008 1:08 pm

Post by farside22 »

Well I'm sorry for the slip up. I knew no matter what I said I would be put up and taken out with everyone thinking I was scum with no defense. The worst part was FL having the Veto and not using it when 2 obvious town people were up.
Sarcasm is just a way of saying how stupid you think someone is but in a more polite way.
DragonsofSummer
DragonsofSummer
Mafia Scum
DragonsofSummer
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #852 (ISO) » Tue Jan 01, 2008 7:39 pm

Post by DragonsofSummer »

I honestly don't know how I managed to get out of the game without being nommed once on principle. But hey I followed mneme's lead early on and pushed against him all game with him pushing back, and I think it worked fairly well for at least the first few days.
"I want you to hit me as hard as you can."
-Tyler Durden
pablito
pablito
Mafia Scum
pablito
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #853 (ISO) » Wed Jan 02, 2008 12:48 pm

Post by pablito »

Was this a good setup with reasonable mechanics or was there some part that could've been improved? It definitely was a different type of game.
Sup, later.
farside22
farside22
Mafia Mum
farside22
Mafia Mum
Mafia Mum

Post Post #854 (ISO) » Wed Jan 02, 2008 12:50 pm

Post by farside22 »

pablito wrote:Was this a good setup with reasonable mechanics or was there some part that could've been improved? It definitely was a different type of game.
I liked the game mechanics. The only thing is I wish you would have had more then just the veto out there to play. Other then that very interesting game. Would still do it again, but not as a replacement. :wink:
Sarcasm is just a way of saying how stupid you think someone is but in a more polite way.
mneme
mneme
emneme mneme mninie mno
mneme
emneme mneme mninie mno
emneme mneme mninie mno

Post Post #855 (ISO) » Wed Jan 02, 2008 2:20 pm

Post by mneme »

pab: yeah, it was fun. Mind, the narrow/inflexible deadlines didn't help things; I like fast games, but games decided by modkills and timeouts? not so much.

Elmo; Skruffs showed strong town signs at various points, but I couldn't be sure about him -- which was why I was favoring Pug's kill over yours, rather than not caring! After all, chances are, he'd not have nommed his partner in the penultimate playoff, so if Skruffs wasn't scum, you were the last townie! Of course, your play was loose enough that I was pretty sure you weren't a townie, nor Pug (and, in fact, I'd been pushing both of you fairly heavily, which may be what you meant :), but better safe than sorry.
Did I say too much?
mneme
mneme
emneme mneme mninie mno
mneme
emneme mneme mninie mno
emneme mneme mninie mno

Post Post #856 (ISO) » Wed Jan 02, 2008 2:27 pm

Post by mneme »

Oh, re my "pretending to be a townie" in the endgame -- -if- I'd somehow nommed a townie and a scum, it was in my interest to play them off among one another, to possibly get more info; info there was no interest in giving me if I were scum (if I'm scum, they both want to pretend to be townies). So in theory, I needed to keep at least a pretense in order to keep possiblities open -- if the game was over, it didn't do any harm, wheras if it wasn't, it might do some good.

If we hadn't endgamed you lot, actually, I think Skruffs would have won. We lynch Pug, making alliances extra-clear, and Pug noms elmo. Elmo lynches me, and I nom DoS. Dos lynches pug, who noms Scruffs, who kills off DoS. Bingo, town victory. Without an endgame rule, only way for me to force a scum victory was to lynch scruffs -- which would depend on who scruffs decided to throw the next HoH to; if he threw it to DoS, I'm golden, but he might very well throw it to opposing scum (ie, whoever I nommed him against) out of spite.
Did I say too much?
Skruffs
Skruffs
Pantsman
Skruffs
Pantsman
Pantsman

Post Post #857 (ISO) » Wed Jan 02, 2008 2:44 pm

Post by Skruffs »

mneme wrote:skruffs: "win on tie" was established as the scum win condition in the opening post -- and is necessary; without it, the game drags on endlessly, with very little chancer of scum winning rather than tying, and no incentive for the scum to play correctly even toward the end.
I do understand that it was established in the opening post (Even if I didn't realize that), but what I am saying is that the town has to eliminate 6 scum and at most 4 town, and at least one of each scum has to be eliminated? by teh halfway mark, 6 people?

With no investigative or protective roles, the town was severely outnumbered! That there were two groups who didn't know who the other group was, didn't matter for TOWN, because Town still was facing very harsh odds.

The town had to be right 50% of the time, and couldn't be wrong more than 33% of the time, with one faction-neutral power role to use (possibly by either side).

Kuribo: "Once I was evicted, I couldn't toss the HoH back to Scruffs anyway, so town was screwed. "Also true: Although with Kuribo evicted, I was screwed anyways.

I do not think that looking at it as similar to a "nightless" set up is at all fair, because in a nightless setup, lynches are determined by equal or majority rule.

In this game, one person determined the two people who were nominated, and could protect or target select people. So yes, I *possibly* had a chance to at least avenge the floaters by making it one scum vs one scum at the end game! However, I wasn't given that chance, and if you REALY want to base the voting mechanics on the Big Brother game, you really *should* have enforced it in that manner.

I would have made only ONE alliance, or, if you really want two alliances, make one mafia, and one masons. I honestly believe that 6 scum out of 12 with no other away to eliminate other than by voting was very balanced against the town.
mneme
mneme
emneme mneme mninie mno
mneme
emneme mneme mninie mno
emneme mneme mninie mno

Post Post #858 (ISO) » Wed Jan 02, 2008 6:15 pm

Post by mneme »

Skruffs: an interesting question . AFAIK, a game like this has only been done twice on MS -- and both times have been scum wins (the other didn't have a BB mechanic, but instead a challenge one -- but it ended up being fairly similar except when it wasn't).

To be fair, each scumgroup could only win by eliminating a similar number -- and would lose if it lost more than 2 members. I do think it's very possible for the town to win in this setup -- but the potential for townies to self destruct makes this harder.
Did I say too much?
Skruffs
Skruffs
Pantsman
Skruffs
Pantsman
Pantsman

Post Post #859 (ISO) » Thu Jan 03, 2008 3:42 am

Post by Skruffs »

Also: almost every townie who was voted out (excep vrk) had replaced in after being nominated, which wasn't helpful for them.

I don't think either scum group had nearly as bad odds: one scum vs one townie in endgame = scum win. Each scum one had three 'mislynches' to force and 3 scum lynches on other players - and that means half of their goals (scum lynches) were shared by the floaters and half (the mislynches) were shared by other scum, they were not nearly under the pressure to succeed.

I disagreed with mneme in the beginning about scum trying to help scum hunt and i still do!
I am still peeved that i always nominated townies, though. I should have gone with my gut on pug and not saved mneme.
Elmo
Elmo
Mafia Scum
Elmo
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #860 (ISO) » Thu Jan 03, 2008 6:10 am

Post by Elmo »

I don't think there's anything wrong with the setup. I would have given the town decent chances to win; in my mind, what lost it for them wasn't related to the setup. I quite like the mechanic, although it does have the potential to get a bit volatile ('swingy') near the end, but I think that's true of any 3:3:6 setup that goes the distance.

Passion is inversely proportional to the amount of real information available. ~ Gregory Benford
Elmo
Elmo
Mafia Scum
Elmo
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #861 (ISO) » Thu Jan 03, 2008 6:17 am

Post by Elmo »

Oh, I thought I already said this: Skruffs, I thought you played quite well. I can perfectly see how FaerieLord looked scummy, and from memory that's the only important slip you made.

mneme
mneme
emneme mneme mninie mno
mneme
emneme mneme mninie mno
emneme mneme mninie mno

Post Post #862 (ISO) » Thu Jan 03, 2008 10:09 am

Post by mneme »

Scruffs: the record, I think, stands against you.

The only PA-scum to be voted out was heavily pushed by several AD scum (and, in fact, my being very confident that Ryan was scum was one of the things causing people to (correctly, but for the wrong reasons) believe I was scum). Pug nommed Kali and YT. I was pushing Elmo and even Pug throughout the last half of the game -- etc.
Did I say too much?
pablito
pablito
Mafia Scum
pablito
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #863 (ISO) » Thu Jan 03, 2008 5:20 pm

Post by pablito »

farside22 wrote:The only thing is I wish you would have had more then just the veto out there to play.
I thought hard about what other things from the show I could add in, but I just could not think of anything that would not be detrimental in the hands of scum. I refused to have non-travelling powers because in a nightless, any power means that person is never lynched. The coup d'etat was too powerful, Golden/Diamond Power of Vetoes were too unilateral as well. Only the Power of Veto made sense as a town power, and the perfect time was when FaerieLord had it. I was bummed out when he didn't use it then. I wasn't creative enough to add a new power.
mneme wrote:I like fast games, but games decided by modkills and timeouts? not so much.
I agree. The timeout was something I hated, but I gave pickem extra time and even suggested other considerations in the case he could not make his selections before deadline. As for the modkill, unfortunate as well, but I'm not exactly sure that pickem/farside would've lasted too long anyway.

The deadlines were probably more detrimental to town than to scum, but I can't stand games that lag and this game was much much slower than I anticipated. Ultimatum Mafia was a good pace for me. I had longer deadlines for this game because people said Ultimatum favored scum because of the deadlines. I felt that there was little urgency in this game, so deadlines ended up being redundant and punitive rather than motivating discussion. I felt that too many people pushed the 48 hr post deadline rule too much, but I can't blame people for not taking it seriously (due to the site's norms). However, I refused to mod a game without deadlines just because of my personal preference, but it also made sense because of the "theme".
Skruffs wrote:With no investigative or protective roles, the town was severely outnumbered! That there were two groups who didn't know who the other group was, didn't matter for TOWN, because Town still was facing very harsh odds.
Agreed. 3:3:6 is not favourable for the town. It's been long established. It's something like 38:38:18 chances (as hypothesized by Kelly Chen in Open Setup Nom/Disc thread). I wondered if the dichotomous voting would help town. Turns out that it really doesn't make a difference at all if I look at both Ultimatum and BB Mafia. What happened is that I think the random role assignment happened to be unfavourable to town in both games. 3:3:7 or 8 is probably better for town, but I wasn't going to run a large theme game either time. What's odd is that the majority of the HoHs were town but the strong majority of nominations were for townies anyway. I believed that with dichotomous voting, the two nominees would probably end up being the top two suspects anyway. However, in this game, it didn't happen because the HoHs were allowed to get away with it. I felt that past HoHs that were attacked were attacked mostly outside of the context of their two nominations - and that it really made this more kingmaker than anything else.

I do think this time dichotomous voting did affect the spotlight on mneme. In a regular nightless setup, mneme nor ChaosOmega would've lasted this long. But then again, the impetus should fall on the town to ensure the spotlight sticks on everyone. This happened in the first two days when the HoH facilitated decent discussion. The third day onward the nomination phase was void of any general discussion and the HoH held all the power and the game changed. The game from that point onward felt like a chore to most involved because the power shifted out of their hands (not due to game setup). That's when the town lost, I felt - much like how Kingmaker II also faltered in the end - because power was more in the Kingmaker's hands more than the King or town.

I do agree that this game probably could've worked better as 4:8, but I'm all for testing out the 3:3:6 format and now we've seen how it could feasibly work or not.

As for the argument about mafia equalling all others alive vs. making mafia outnumber all others alive. I thought about it before the game, but when I tested out all possibilities it lead to the minority mafia faction winning in the end. I thought that a game which would make sacrificing a mafia member at a crucial juncture to gain position would be a poor setup in the first place (ie: final four - Elmo eking out the win would've been a poor outcome, I believe)

However, I think that the game followed a very basic and predictable formula. Scum will bus and look town to get the HoH position and last long and town will stay under the radar and get replaced. I thought town had a chance once VRK got HoH, but things changed in week 3. Town had a chance even after that because Skruffs was untouchable, but it seemed that no other townie would last the distance with him.

If I were to do the game again, I think I could go for a 3:3:8, maybe renew the veto once (to give two total) and tighten up deadlines actually. But I'm not doing anything like this game again. If anyone wants to run away with these ideas, go for it.
mneme
mneme
emneme mneme mninie mno
mneme
emneme mneme mninie mno
emneme mneme mninie mno

Post Post #864 (ISO) » Fri Jan 04, 2008 12:25 pm

Post by mneme »

Thanks for running regardless! I agree that the format didn't help by pushing a lot of power into the HoH's hands -- which in turn helped decrease non-scum involvement in the game and make it more likely the town would self destruct.
Did I say too much?
Skruffs
Skruffs
Pantsman
Skruffs
Pantsman
Pantsman

Post Post #865 (ISO) » Tue Jan 08, 2008 2:11 pm

Post by Skruffs »

I really did lose the game for town, untouchable ro not.

I thought giving everyone a say would result in scum influenced nominations, I guess I'm a vigilante at heart.
MeMe
MeMe
Post or Perish
MeMe
Post or Perish
Post or Perish

Post Post #866 (ISO) » Mon May 19, 2008 6:36 am

Post by MeMe »

last post
Remember...It's not a lie if you believe it. -- G. Costanza

Return to “Completed Mini Theme Games”