Dance of the Title Fairy: Pale Moonlight Edition

A subforum entirely dedicated to the discussion of titles. The title fairy has carte blanche in this subforum.
DeathRowKitty
DeathRowKitty
she
Frog
DeathRowKitty
she
Frog
Frog
Pronoun: she

Post Post #75 (ISO) » Fri Apr 03, 2015 10:43 pm

Post by DeathRowKitty »

50th except when he does for pie

Seriously, does anyone not know him for that?
InflatablePie
InflatablePie
they / them
Accept When They Do
InflatablePie
they / them
Accept When They Do
Accept When They Do
Pronoun: they / them

Post Post #76 (ISO) » Sat Apr 04, 2015 4:29 am

Post by InflatablePie »

In post 71, SleepyKrew wrote:4. Not everyone gets a title. That's fine. Post reads to me like IPie demanding he receive his title. I do not intend to reward this behavior. Titles are srs bsns.

Oh, I'm perfectly fine with not getting it because I stuck up for myself. I lurk on the forums a lot lately, so I didn't expect non-Commune members to comment much. Figured it was a damned-if-I-do or don't situation.

Having a title is not my issue - I already said I don't care if I get one, whether you believe me or not. I'm just disliking some of the hypocrisy thrown around with titles - username puns are discouraged but 50 Shades passed (recent example); let's make titles unique but then consider *faceroll KEYBOARD RAGIN'*... that's just off the top of my head. Most people are fine with everyone getting titles and not making them super-special like they used to be/still are, but then restrictions/suggestions are ignored for some users and not others. I was against 50 Shades for that reason.

SleepyKrew wrote:titles should be about a memorable trait or event

... I think you were better off using 'unique'. :P

Also:
2nd? Strokin' Out
for Anti, something along those lines would be better.

(P.S. - I'm not intentionally trying to give you a hard time with your new job, SK. I'm more mad at the... "title meta", so to speak.)
If you don't know how to lie, then how do you know when you're being lied to?

No snowflake in an avalanche ever feels responsible.
quadz08
quadz08
Jack of All Trades
quadz08
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #77 (ISO) » Sat Apr 04, 2015 4:34 am

Post by quadz08 »

gotta point out that I'm not a big fan of "oh, you had Opinions about the titling process? NO TITLE FOR YOU"
Current Avatar: Kronk. Duh.
fferyllt
fferyllt
Titan of Trajectory
fferyllt
Titan of Trajectory
Titan of Trajectory

Post Post #78 (ISO) » Sat Apr 04, 2015 4:38 am

Post by fferyllt »

I like the title suggestion for Pie.
Amid the pressure of great events, a general principle gives no help.

Idic
T S O
T S O
Survivor
T S O
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #79 (ISO) » Sat Apr 04, 2015 4:56 am

Post by T S O »

In post 77, quadz08 wrote:gotta point out that I'm not a big fan of "oh, you had Opinions about the titling process? NO TITLE FOR YOU"

agree
"i have the sickest grossest feeling that even if it's my lynch today, my townflip still won't lead to a tso lynch, and then he'll find some bullshit way to reason either shooting or lynching gm tomorrow because if there's anyone who can strongarm a mislynch despite his reads or cases being proved wrong time and again it's tso"
-Marquis
SleepyKrew
SleepyKrew
he/him
Snark Attack
SleepyKrew
he/him
Snark Attack
Snark Attack
Pronoun: he/him
Happy Scumday!

Post Post #80 (ISO) » Sat Apr 04, 2015 5:55 am

Post by SleepyKrew »

In post 76, InflatablePie wrote:Having a title is not my issue - I already said I don't care if I get one, whether you believe me or not. I'm just disliking some of the hypocrisy thrown around with titles - username puns are discouraged but 50 Shades passed (recent example); let's make titles unique but then consider *faceroll KEYBOARD RAGIN'*... that's just off the top of my head. Most people are fine with everyone getting titles and not making them super-special like they used to be/still are, but then restrictions/suggestions are ignored for some users and not others. I was against 50 Shades for that reason.

The "title meta" changes with each new Fairy. The reason I immediately gave GI 50 Shades is because it got 5+ supporters as well as GI and TBM's approval in the previous thread. I probably wouldn't have approved it if it had been nominated in my thread. I'm not going to go back and remove all the titles that I myself wouldn't have passed (that might make me lose my own :shifty:). I'm sorry if you perceive some hypocrisy in the system. I am going to rule in different ways than previous Fairies have. Later Fairies are going to rule in different ways than I will. And that's perfectly okay.

In post 77, quadz08 wrote:gotta point out that I'm not a big fan of "oh, you had Opinions about the titling process? NO TITLE FOR YOU"

There's voicing an opinion, and then there's a multi-paragraph post that boils down to "it's bullshit that you're not giving me my title; give me my title".
InflatablePie
InflatablePie
they / them
Accept When They Do
InflatablePie
they / them
Accept When They Do
Accept When They Do
Pronoun: they / them

Post Post #81 (ISO) » Sat Apr 04, 2015 6:31 am

Post by InflatablePie »

It's about ethics in titling.

But seriously, the title meta also consists of title recommendations. I'm not trying to put blame on you.

And that's not the reason I'm upset. Don't give me the title then, that's not the part I care about. I'd have said the same thing if a similar (re)nom was brought up.

You're focusing on the fact that I weighed in at all and it's coming across as stubborn. I typed out my original post because I wanted to give context and show it wasn't about the specific phrase. If I don't say anything, nothing will change, but if I argue my points, I get dismissed as "oh he just wants a title" without my points being considered. How is that fair? It's like calling me scummy and when I come in to defend myself you're yelling "QUIT FLAILING SCUM".
If you don't know how to lie, then how do you know when you're being lied to?

No snowflake in an avalanche ever feels responsible.
SleepyKrew
SleepyKrew
he/him
Snark Attack
SleepyKrew
he/him
Snark Attack
Snark Attack
Happy Scumday!

Post Post #82 (ISO) » Sat Apr 04, 2015 7:01 am

Post by SleepyKrew »

In post 81, InflatablePie wrote:If I don't say anything, nothing will change

What
are you trying to change?
esuriospiritus
esuriospiritus
they/ask
I Reject Your Corporeality...
esuriospiritus
they/ask
Pronoun: they/ask

Post Post #83 (ISO) » Sat Apr 04, 2015 7:59 am

Post by esuriospiritus »

In post 80, SleepyKrew wrote:There's voicing an opinion, and then there's a multi-paragraph post that boils down to "it's bullshit that you're not giving me my title; give me my title".

He literally said to me while he was making the post you have such an issue with "I don't even care if I get a title, I'm just mad about the hypocrisy" which is essentially is the same thing he keeps posting in thread, you're just not listening.

And I agree with him, but mostly I'm just mind-boggled about the things people get titles or don't get titles for and it's a larger issue than just his title.

Take singersigner, for an example. She's done more for the site than most of us (newbie queue? hosting meets? game nights with other scummers such as playing League of Legends online? probably other stuff I'm not thinking of right now?) and been on the site for years but still no title. I even brought up the Scummer of Love thing again along with the Pie title with the hope that I could kickstart that discussion again amongst people who were there
and then literally no one else said anything about it
. I might as well not have even mentioned her for the response it got. It can't be because she's not deserving of a title, because by any metric I can think of she is. And it can't be because she isn't an interesting and memorable individual, because she is. So as far as I can figure, the only reason she doesn't have a title and people less deserving or unique do is because there aren't enough people in her corner who give a shit about the title thread. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Like... why do we give some people titles and not others? Why do some people get shitty username puns for their title (GreyICE) but other people get their shitty username puns shut down (N)? Why is keyboard mashing somehow memorable when it's Antihero doing it but not Fate or Reck or UT (or whoever else Reck mentioned) do it or when Bins does it like 10 times in one micro game?

And, y'know, maybe my idea of what a title is or who we should be giving titles to just doesn't align with what the rest of the site thinks. But I can never tell if we're actually SUPER SERIOUS or SUPER CASUAL about the quality bar for titles because it seems to vary wildly by user and by title suggestion which makes me think that it's more about giving people who are in the right cliques titles regardless of the actual quality. And if that's the case, then fine, but let's at least be upfront about that and not pretend that it's something loftier than that with phrases like "gift from the community" in the OP.

Also seriously I'm sorry but the 3 months rule is just wtf no. 3 months is barely enough time for a newbie game to finish (ok, maybe two if they're both really short). How many newbies -- even the ones that manage to complete a game here -- go on to actually stay on the site long enough to make a mark on it? You're willing to give people who will probably ditch the site within the first year a title but there are still people who have been here for years who even most of the newbies know that still don't have titles? That's kinda fucked up. If anything, I think the time before someone is eligible for a title should be increased, not decreased.
First you get your wings back. Then you learn to fly.

SleepyKrew
SleepyKrew
he/him
Snark Attack
SleepyKrew
he/him
Snark Attack
Snark Attack
Happy Scumday!

Post Post #84 (ISO) » Sat Apr 04, 2015 8:26 am

Post by SleepyKrew »

What hypocrisy?

Antihero's keymashing is different from other people's because it's actually a schtick for him. It's part of his persona. It was even one of his abilities in a role based off of him.
Quilford
Quilford
Jack of All Trades
Quilford
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #85 (ISO) » Sat Apr 04, 2015 8:26 am

Post by Quilford »

If you think that someone is deserving of a title, then nom them for one! Singer obviously deserves a title, as probably do a lot of people, but if nobody's suggesting good ones—or any at all—then what are you supposed to do? Give a title that doesn't really work for the sake of giving a title?
SleepyKrew
SleepyKrew
he/him
Snark Attack
SleepyKrew
he/him
Snark Attack
Snark Attack
Happy Scumday!

Post Post #86 (ISO) » Sat Apr 04, 2015 8:31 am

Post by SleepyKrew »

In post 83, esuriospiritus wrote:And, y'know, maybe my idea of what a title is or who we should be giving titles to just doesn't align with what the rest of the site thinks. But I can never tell if we're actually SUPER SERIOUS or SUPER CASUAL about the quality bar for titles because it seems to vary wildly by user and by title suggestion which makes me think that it's more about giving people who are in the right cliques titles regardless of the actual quality. And if that's the case, then fine, but let's at least be upfront about that and not pretend that it's something loftier than that with phrases like "gift from the community" in the OP.

I plan to hold titles to a high standard of quality. But it's still
my
standard of quality. You might hate something that I think is brilliant. I might hate something that you think is brilliant. That's just part of the deal with subjective measures.

Also, what Quil said. You can't just say "these people deserve a title".
Andrius
Andrius
The Baker
Andrius
The Baker
The Baker

Post Post #87 (ISO) » Sat Apr 04, 2015 8:37 am

Post by Andrius »

I'm still living in Oman-era Title Meta where puns at all are frowned upon and Titles more defined someone's playstyle and/or personality than were related to one avatar or one game. I think those days were better days.

I have a title I got back in '11. It is still relevant. It is not a pun. It is not from a thing I did once. My title defines my play-style and my contribution to the site. I think titles should acknowledge valuable contributions to the site. (Mish Mash being a valued contribution to the site.) Fate, Khan, animorpherv, Vi, Ythan, Cobalt are examples of who they are and what they did. None of them are puns or tied to avatars. None of them are things that happened once.

Anywho.
As Oman once said, people will always disagree with him but that's because he called the shots and wore the crown. Every new Title Fairy and group of Nominees will look different than the previous. I'm against titles that don't do what Oman-era titles did: tell you what you're dealing with and what they bring to the site.

Against lowering the month requirement to three from six.
There was a time when people would hit the posting requirement and then just walk in here for a title. That's now how this should work; people make a valued contribution/defined playstyle. That's more worthy than 'what puns can we come up with' or avatar-related titles.

Anywho, welcome to your position I suppose. It will not be all fun and games.

p.s. I still love Banned for Powerful Calvary for Khan.
"This is the true face of a man who plays paladin."
Andrius
Andrius
The Baker
Andrius
The Baker
The Baker

Post Post #88 (ISO) » Sat Apr 04, 2015 8:41 am

Post by Andrius »

In post 21, zoraster wrote:
In post 16, N wrote:can Tammy have Fucking Sweetheart now?

I'm not a prude, but that word doesn't belong on our fucking titles.

I'm a Sweetheart
?
Doesn't contain profanity but also has that 'me' edge where she's all 'why yes I am a Sweetheart'.
Or perhaps
Sassy Sweetheart
?

Agreeing that facerolling keyboards does not merit a title. Plenty of people have done it and there's definitely something more worthy for Antihero than that.
"This is the true face of a man who plays paladin."
Faraday
Faraday
...should I be here?
Faraday
...should I be here?
...should I be here?

Post Post #89 (ISO) » Sat Apr 04, 2015 8:47 am

Post by Faraday »

In post 84, SleepyKrew wrote:
What hypocrisy?

Antihero's keymashing is different from other people's because it's actually a schtick for him. It's part of his persona. It was even one of his abilities in a role based off of him.

Ya it sounded p awful in theory but the links were p solid. Think something more clever than a direct copy would be cool but perfect shouldn't be the enemy of good.
are you thinking of me when you're with somebody else?
Faraday
Faraday
...should I be here?
Faraday
...should I be here?
...should I be here?

Post Post #90 (ISO) » Sat Apr 04, 2015 8:49 am

Post by Faraday »

In post 83, esuriospiritus wrote:
In post 80, SleepyKrew wrote:There's voicing an opinion, and then there's a multi-paragraph post that boils down to "it's bullshit that you're not giving me my title; give me my title".

He literally said to me while he was making the post you have such an issue with "I don't even care if I get a title, I'm just mad about the hypocrisy" which is essentially is the same thing he keeps posting in thread, you're just not listening.

And I agree with him, but mostly I'm just mind-boggled about the things people get titles or don't get titles for and it's a larger issue than just his title.

Take singersigner, for an example. She's done more for the site than most of us (newbie queue? hosting meets? game nights with other scummers such as playing League of Legends online? probably other stuff I'm not thinking of right now?) and been on the site for years but still no title. I even brought up the Scummer of Love thing again along with the Pie title with the hope that I could kickstart that discussion again amongst people who were there
and then literally no one else said anything about it
. I might as well not have even mentioned her for the response it got. It can't be because she's not deserving of a title, because by any metric I can think of she is. And it can't be because she isn't an interesting and memorable individual, because she is. So as far as I can figure, the only reason she doesn't have a title and people less deserving or unique do is because there aren't enough people in her corner who give a shit about the title thread. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Like... why do we give some people titles and not others? Why do some people get shitty username puns for their title (GreyICE) but other people get their shitty username puns shut down (N)? Why is keyboard mashing somehow memorable when it's Antihero doing it but not Fate or Reck or UT (or whoever else Reck mentioned) do it or when Bins does it like 10 times in one micro game?

And, y'know, maybe my idea of what a title is or who we should be giving titles to just doesn't align with what the rest of the site thinks. But I can never tell if we're actually SUPER SERIOUS or SUPER CASUAL about the quality bar for titles because it seems to vary wildly by user and by title suggestion which makes me think that it's more about giving people who are in the right cliques titles regardless of the actual quality. And if that's the case, then fine, but let's at least be upfront about that and not pretend that it's something loftier than that with phrases like "gift from the community" in the OP.

Also seriously I'm sorry but the 3 months rule is just wtf no. 3 months is barely enough time for a newbie game to finish (ok, maybe two if they're both really short). How many newbies -- even the ones that manage to complete a game here -- go on to actually stay on the site long enough to make a mark on it? You're willing to give people who will probably ditch the site within the first year a title but there are still people who have been here for years who even most of the newbies know that still don't have titles? That's kinda fucked up. If anything, I think the time before someone is eligible for a title should be increased, not decreased.

Nominate mina for
mafia scum
are you thinking of me when you're with somebody else?
SleepyKrew
SleepyKrew
he/him
Snark Attack
SleepyKrew
he/him
Snark Attack
Snark Attack
Happy Scumday!

Post Post #91 (ISO) » Sat Apr 04, 2015 9:02 am

Post by SleepyKrew »

In post 87, Andrius wrote:It will not be all fun and games.

I noticed <_<
To be clear: quack
Untrod Tripod
Untrod Tripod
Fat and Sassy
Untrod Tripod
Fat and Sassy
Fat and Sassy

Post Post #92 (ISO) » Sat Apr 04, 2015 9:05 am

Post by Untrod Tripod »

hey guys

I know we're trying to see where SKrew's boundaries are and you want to see if your pet projects can get pushed through etc etc

but you look real silly from an outside perspective just saying
Nexus
Nexus
He
miss
Nexus
He
miss
miss
Pronoun: He

Post Post #93 (ISO) » Sat Apr 04, 2015 9:07 am

Post by Nexus »

The worst part is when people get titles without being nommed for them
Trans rights are human rights.
Iecerint
Iecerint
Survivor
Iecerint
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #94 (ISO) » Sat Apr 04, 2015 9:22 am

Post by Iecerint »

In post 49, sthar8 wrote:I also suggested 'Homerow'

I like this much better if we're going with the theme we're going with.
esuriospiritus
esuriospiritus
they/ask
esuriospiritus
they/ask
Pronoun: they/ask

Post Post #95 (ISO) » Sat Apr 04, 2015 10:45 am

Post by esuriospiritus »

In post 84, SleepyKrew wrote:
What hypocrisy?

Ok, at what point does something become a schtick/persona and not just something they do a lot? Can you try to better explain how Pie's title is not unique but Anti's is? Did you even look at Bins' ISO in the game I linked?

I would feel a lot better if I actually understood where and how you're drawing the line because right now it just seems completely arbitrary to me -- and if you're resisting explaining when I say that I have an issue, what else am I supposed to think but that you have a double standard and are annoyed that I'm calling you on it? I don't want things to be arbitrary and subjective along some hidden parameters I don't know or understand, I want titling to be fair and have a predictable quality baseline so we can focus more on the fun parts of it. But right now I am just not getting that vibe which really doesn't bode well for a brand new title fairy. It just looks like lackadaisical whim to me right now.

The bit about Singer and Mina and all that is mostly separate but I brought it up because it's part of my problem with titling at large -- and what better time to address that than when a new title fairy has arrived and isn't set in their titling ways yet? I wish we as a community prioritized making titles for people who've done things that make the community better (game modding, queue or forum modding, active in GD/SE/MD, hosting meets or skype mafia or other things outside of the site, wiki upkeep, replacing in to games). I would like to see it used as a way to reward people who make positive contributions more than people who merely exist within it and I would like to see titles as a way to encourage people to make more of those contributions. Maybe you could still get a title for keyboard flailing, but a surer path to getting a title could be to be that person that helps organize LoL games every week or that person who makes those really thought-provoking posts in MD or something. And I would like to see us brainstorm until we find a good title for those people even if it takes a while rather than relying on someone coming up with a sudden stroke of inspiration on a random user and then we tweak it until it is acceptable. I guess scummies somewhat fill that kind of function I'm thinking of but in a temporary (one year) way.

------

Anyway.

If profanity is part of the allure for the Tammy title, why not
Effing Sweetheart
?
Sassy Sweetheart
is good too, and I like the alliteration.

When I think of singer's presence on the site, I think of her work with the newbie queue, and also the way she never seems shy about her emotions. Singer pours her heart out onto the site on a regular basis whether those feelings are happy or sad or angry or anything in between. She makes the site feel more human. I also, admittedly, think of her drunkposting in and out of the actual drunkposting thread. Scummer of Love people would need to come in to brainstorm titles for that meet but here's where the old discussion for that starts AFAIK. I'm not really witty enough to come up with titles but I would nth anything that expressed all or some of those things or stuff from Scummer of Love. A reference to wearing her heart on her sleeve, maybe?

Past Mina title noms from the last thread include (small) Mafia Scum, (large) Mafia Scum, Firebug, Evil Laugh, Trojan Butterfly, and stuff about Waffles and waffling. I don't actually know Mina very well so I can't really comment on her personality past that but hopefully that's enough to kickstart some ideas for her with people who know her better than I do.

There are others who don't have titles that I think should but those are two big ones where I think it's just a ~COSMIC WRONG~ that they don't already have one.
First you get your wings back. Then you learn to fly.

SleepyKrew
SleepyKrew
he/him
Snark Attack
SleepyKrew
he/him
Snark Attack
Snark Attack
Happy Scumday!

Post Post #96 (ISO) » Sat Apr 04, 2015 11:10 am

Post by SleepyKrew »

In post 95, esuriospiritus wrote:I would feel a lot better if I actually understood where and how you're drawing the line because right now it just seems completely arbitrary to me -- and if you're resisting explaining when I say that I have an issue, what else am I supposed to think but that you have a double standard and are annoyed that I'm calling you on it? I don't want things to be arbitrary and subjective along some hidden parameters I don't know or understand, I want titling to be fair and have a predictable quality baseline so we can focus more on the fun parts of it. But right now I am just not getting that vibe which really doesn't bode well for a brand new title fairy. It just looks like lackadaisical whim to me right now.

My decisions are going to seem subjective, yes. That's because there's no objective measure of title quality. My decisions are going to seem arbitrary, yes. That's because the Title Fairy's whole job is to be the arbiter on titles. If you can create a "predictable quality baseline" that makes everyone happy, I'm all ears. Until then, I'm going to continue trying to do the best that I can do with what I've got.

I still have no clue what this greater good you and IPie are trying to fight for is. To me, it still looks like you two just want him to get Except When He Does. He's not getting it. This will be my last post on the matter. If you want to continue this discussion, feel free to PM me.
Kublai Khan
Kublai Khan
Khan Man
Kublai Khan
Khan Man
Khan Man

Post Post #97 (ISO) » Sat Apr 04, 2015 11:28 am

Post by Kublai Khan »

*hugs SK*
Occasionally intellectually honest

Black Lives Matter
Get vaccinated
T S O
T S O
Survivor
T S O
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #98 (ISO) » Sat Apr 04, 2015 11:30 am

Post by T S O »

nominate tso for except when he does
"i have the sickest grossest feeling that even if it's my lynch today, my townflip still won't lead to a tso lynch, and then he'll find some bullshit way to reason either shooting or lynching gm tomorrow because if there's anyone who can strongarm a mislynch despite his reads or cases being proved wrong time and again it's tso"
-Marquis
N
N
Jack of All Trades
N
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #99 (ISO) » Sat Apr 04, 2015 12:14 pm

Post by N »

In post 90, Faraday wrote:Nominate mina for
mafia scum

2nd