soupfly
soupfly
Goon
soupfly
Goon
Goon

Post Post #1325 (ISO) » Sun Feb 17, 2008 10:58 pm

Post by soupfly »

if we want to not list the store items then fine. we can call for that if there is conflict. but the store claim is harmless by itself and should continue.

@kinetic: i don't blame you for characterizing my play as you did above, but i'm not usually so belligerent in my games as i was in the previous game we played. in that particular game that other player was really pissing me off. for this game, i'm not thrilled about the discussion on the stores because of how many scum are out there in comparison to townies. it would be very easy to sway the discussion against a protown action. however, that doesn't mean that i'm not open to discussion such as your point about stealing items. if anybody has objections to a store claim and can refute the points i've made about the benefits to the town (i.e.- "would cause more confusion") or the harm to town then i'm all ears.

as far as what the mafia stores are:

Mafia’s control includes half the town.

The mafia has infiltrated many of the town's local businesses. These include
AOL, FYE, and Gamestop
to corrupt the town's mind with thoughts of violence! With the Mafia's control growing daily, it may already be too late!

Erika’s store, Papa Johns, a Cult Hideout?

An unrevealed source has accused the local
Papa John's
of being a cult hideout. Erika, the store's owner, has vehemently denied these accusations, claiming, "That person probably wanted me to use an expired coupon or something. There's no evidence that a cult hangs out here at all!"

Mafia seen celebrating at Distillery

Over the past night, reporters saw some of the members of the mafia celebrating their continued success at the
distillery
, drinking a pint (or two). It is said that the owner of the distillery was also present at the festivities. The identities of the others present are still unknown.

there are 16 stores left and 5 are known to be scum stores. this means that scum cannot claim these five stores and must claim the store of some townie. when we finish the claim that should put 5 scum in direct conflict with townies whose stores they've claimed.

@andycya: can you tell us the name of your store and then designate another player to claim next.
i am sofa king!
stupid...
soupfly
soupfly
Goon
soupfly
Goon
Goon

Post Post #1326 (ISO) » Sun Feb 17, 2008 11:02 pm

Post by soupfly »

soupfly wrote: if anybody has objections to a store claim and can refute the points i've made about the benefits to the town (i.e.- "would cause more confusion") or the harm to town then i'm all ears.
this phrase in my last post is confusing. what i meant to say is that if people have valid concerns beyond the typical "this would cause confusion" or "i don't see the benefits" complaints we've heard so far. while kinetic's point about the stealing of items did seem a bit alarmist, i think its valid. i don't mind not claiming the store items, just the store itself.

otherwise the claim should go on with just store name.
i am sofa king!
stupid...
Kinetic
Kinetic
Mafia Scum
Kinetic
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1327 (ISO) » Sun Feb 17, 2008 11:29 pm

Post by Kinetic »

Be sure to include which paper those headlines come from. It greatly effects their credibility.

Store claim without claiming items is a good compromise, and I think that would alleviate a lot of my concerns. I'm going to think it over one more time when I'm a little more clear and give my final opinion on the subject before the end of this day.

I would also like anyone else who has any
specific
opinions or concerns, I would like to hear them now. We do not have time to wait for everyone to mull over this decision. If by the end of the day tomorrow, you have not raised a
specific
concern or opinion, I'm going to assume that you are impartial to this store claim as it stands now. I refuse to allow lurking to protect you from claiming if we decide to go through with this.

With that being said, be prepared to check this forum at the LEAST once every 12-24 hours. If we go ahead with this claim and you find you will NOT be able to do so, say so immediately so we can get your claim done and processed and you do not conveniently "forget".
Large Theme List Mod Emeritus
On hiatus due to Real Life
Holy
Holy
Goon
Holy
Goon
Goon

Post Post #1328 (ISO) » Mon Feb 18, 2008 5:29 am

Post by Holy »

Tarhalindur wrote:Holy, your recent posts analyzing the item/shop situation is pinging my scumdar. I would like you to list the three players you think are most likely to be scum, with reasons.
Tar, the situation even though we're on Day 3, are still confusing. We don't know whether we have succeed lynched a scum or not, and how many scum were eliminated after the mod kill. Also, the newspaper didn't help us much until now, the information of BM's and MoS' alignment is quite helpful to me.
With that unclear-ness, I want to share part of my list to the town and see maybe someone is able to draw a connection from it to something helpful. Noticed, I only shared the list of the dead people plus some thoughts and their said items (list 1), and drawing possibly connection from a
weird occurrence
on a dead player item list to another player who coincidentally was also dead (list 2).
Actually, I made 1 mistake on each of my list, but it was minor, so I don't feel the need to correct them hastily, and also don't feel like I want to share more than the info of the dead, at least for now.

So far, from the beginning of Day 3 until now, you didn't show any good interest at all with these unclear-ness by engaging with some players for more elaborated views of why you think it was crappy or maybe it was make sense after all. But you just jumped and ready to take person by person down from your so-called logic. And with my vote on taut already, I guess I already give you enough hint of my top two suspects, don't I?
Andycyca
Andycyca
Gets To Kill All Spammers
Andycyca

Post Post #1329 (ISO) » Mon Feb 18, 2008 5:36 am

Post by Andycyca »

@soup: I've already claimed. I choose Kinetic.

Also, if you still want my POV: now that we're claiming, we should claim items as well. Why? 2 main reasons:

1. Soup and I have already claimed items, and in a game of information like this we all should cooperate the same, otherwise it's not fair and leaves us more vulnerable since we've given more info than the rest.

2. We all have goal items. If scum tries to lie when claiming items we can know, since we have some information on existent items (example, if one of my goal items is "MafiaScumForum" I know someone must own a "Internet-like" store that spawns that item)
Planning: Katamari Damacy Mafia - Less than 50% done!

BTRAF 6 coming to a Mafia Forum near you. Now with 50% less chlorine! Bring your tin foil hat
Holy
Holy
Goon
Holy
Goon
Goon

Post Post #1330 (ISO) » Mon Feb 18, 2008 5:44 am

Post by Holy »

^I don't think claiming our shop items could be quite helpful, we would be just fine without claiming it now though.
Tarhalindur
Tarhalindur
Mod Screw
Tarhalindur
Mod Screw
Mod Screw

Post Post #1331 (ISO) » Mon Feb 18, 2008 9:29 am

Post by Tarhalindur »

Holy wrote:
Tarhalindur wrote:Holy, your recent posts analyzing the item/shop situation is pinging my scumdar. I would like you to list the three players you think are most likely to be scum, with reasons.
Tar, the situation even though we're on Day 3, are still confusing. We don't know whether we have succeed lynched a scum or not, and how many scum were eliminated after the mod kill. Also, the newspaper didn't help us much until now, the information of BM's and MoS' alignment is quite helpful to me.
With that unclear-ness, I want to share part of my list to the town and see maybe someone is able to draw a connection from it to something helpful. Noticed, I only shared the list of the dead people plus some thoughts and their said items (list 1), and drawing possibly connection from a
weird occurrence
on a dead player item list to another player who coincidentally was also dead (list 2).
Actually, I made 1 mistake on each of my list, but it was minor, so I don't feel the need to correct them hastily, and also don't feel like I want to share more than the info of the dead, at least for now.

So far, from the beginning of Day 3 until now, you didn't show any good interest at all with these unclear-ness by engaging with some players for more elaborated views of why you think it was crappy or maybe it was make sense after all. But you just jumped and ready to take person by person down from your so-called logic. And with my vote on taut already, I guess I already give you enough hint of my top two suspects, don't I?
Holy, what drew my eye to you was the fact that you've been making long posts about game theory today, but I haven't seen much analysis of players. That raises the possibility of the IIoA tell (information instead of analysis, where scum talk about game theory in order to avoid taking a potentially unpopular stand on another player). Your failure to provide a third scum candidate and minimal explanation of why you think tautology is scum do not help your case.

That said, you're definitely not the scummiest player right now, for two reasons.

Reason #2: Kinetic, who just jumped up my scumdar considerably. Seriously, jumping out to defend a newer player by attacking the person who questioned her? That's one of the biggest tells in my book - when I've seen players act like you just did, they have usually been scum (either defending a buddy or trying to pick up a pet townie).

As for the "why don't you give your own Top 3 Scum List"... um, because I wanted to give two of my top suspects a chance to explain themselves to make sure that I wasn't misinterpreting their actions? Because I wanted to see who Holy was suspicious of other than taut (with an eye out for unique targets) and the reasoning behind her belief that Taut is scum before I called IIoA on her? Because I needed to confirm that soupfly's logic for the item claim was scumlogic (after all, he might have seen something I had not...)?

Finally, don't try to claim "hey look, I'm UNK, I must be town!". I've seen a few too many UNK scum for me to trust that claim without reservations (and I won't discount the possibility that you're scum trying to avoid being vigged tonight).

Even with those problems, however, there is someone even more likely to be scum in the game...

Reason #1: Soupfly, who has just proven that I had very good cause to ask him for his reasoning. I asked him to elaborate on why he thought certain stores were scum because
the only references to scum stores among living players that I could find came from the Mafia Courier-Journal, aka the completely unreliable scum-written newspaper
, and Soupfly just confirmed that the Courier-Journal was, in fact, the source for all but one of his claimed scum stores. You then claim that it is a known fact that these stores belong to scum. Considering the source, I call bullshit.

I can see clear scum motivations for wanting to know which players have which stores. Take a look at the opening post - notice how the tech stores tend to drop items that have an inherent effect, such as email, messenger, and spam? Not to mention the winery and distillery - I would think that double vote would be a strong incentive for scum to try to get their hands on alcohol (not to mention the possibility of scum having kids if we have coed scum groups). Any of the remaining unclaimed tech/alcohol stores (Best Buy and Google are probably tech stores, and Winery/Distillery are practically guaranteed to have alcohol) would be golden targets for scum trying to get their hands on good items. I can't see a similar motivation for town to want to out the big stores.

Top 3 Scum List:
Soupfly
Kinetic
Holy

Dishonorable Mention: JDodge (he tunnel-visioned on BM, but he's nowhere near as bad as some other players)

Vote: Soupfly, FoS: Kinetic, FoS: Holy
User out of ambit.

Error 404: Sanity Not Found
Kinetic
Kinetic
Mafia Scum
Kinetic
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1332 (ISO) » Mon Feb 18, 2008 6:15 pm

Post by Kinetic »

Tarhalindur wrote:Reason #2: Kinetic, who just jumped up my scumdar considerably. Seriously, jumping out to defend a newer player by attacking the person who questioned her? That's one of the biggest tells in my book - when I've seen players act like you just did, they have usually been scum (either defending a buddy or trying to pick up a pet townie).
Look at any of my previous games as town. I defend players when I see other players being unfair in their attacks or questions, like you were. The fact that you "all of a sudden" find me scummy just validates my points, not removes them. You have a real issue with painting something as scummy and then refusing to look past your own paint.
Tarhalindur wrote:Finally, don't try to claim "hey look, I'm UNK, I must be town!". I've seen a few too many UNK scum for me to trust that claim without reservations (and I won't discount the possibility that you're scum trying to avoid being vigged tonight).
First off, I have not and never had said anything like "trust me, I'm unNKable". I have always stated that my actions will prove I'm town, not what I say.

Second, what makes you think there is even a Vig in this game? From what I've gathered (you know, the one NK a night thing) there isn't one. So I'm not scared about that either.

I announced my immunity to NKs now for a very important reason that I'm not going to reveal at this point. However, I can state that the power does not work quite the same if I do not reveal it... It's rather interesting. There are other, more important reasons, why I chose to reveal it now, but those are going to stay secret for a bit.
Tarhalindur wrote:Even with those problems, however, there is someone even more likely to be scum in the game...

Reason #1: Soupfly, who has just proven that I had very good cause to ask him for his reasoning. I asked him to elaborate on why he thought certain stores were scum because
the only references to scum stores among living players that I could find came from the Mafia Courier-Journal, aka the completely unreliable scum-written newspaper
, and Soupfly just confirmed that the Courier-Journal was, in fact, the source for all but one of his claimed scum stores. You then claim that it is a known fact that these stores belong to scum. Considering the source, I call bullshit.
Now if that is true, I'm going to have to look into that. I was afraid that might be the case too, so that is why I agreed Soup should reveal his points. Interesting indeed.
KaleiÐoscøpe
KaleiÐoscøpe
=====[]
KaleiÐoscøpe
=====[]
=====[]

Post Post #1333 (ISO) » Mon Feb 18, 2008 10:02 pm

Post by KaleiÐoscøpe »

replace me please
soupfly
soupfly
Goon
soupfly
Goon
Goon

Post Post #1334 (ISO) » Tue Feb 19, 2008 12:55 am

Post by soupfly »

Tarhalindur wrote:Reason #1: Soupfly, who has just proven that I had very good cause to ask him for his reasoning. I asked him to elaborate on why he thought certain stores were scum because
you don't know that the courier journal is not reliable.
so far none of the claimed mafia stores have been revealed
so it stands to reason that they may be truthful. i admit that there's a chance that i could be wrong but its as good a plan as any i've seen and the benefits greatly outweigh the risks. besides, there's hardly any down side to claiming for town.

bah, i have a feeling that all the townies could care less about this game and only scum are still playing. scum are going to delay or fight this claim until the deadline and we're probably already getting close to losing. everyone should just claim now regardless of whether its your turn or not. just claim your store name...that's it.

there's so many scum out there to choose from, but i guess you're the most obvious.
vote: tarhalindur
i am sofa king!
stupid...
Kinetic
Kinetic
Mafia Scum
Kinetic
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1335 (ISO) » Tue Feb 19, 2008 5:42 am

Post by Kinetic »

The Mafia Courier-Journal (Created by Mafia spin doctors to encourage the dark side with cryptic messages to confuse everyone).
I was willing to wait until you responded soup, mainly to guage your reaction and see if you had a response to Tar. Not only did you not have a response, you also encouraged the town to just act reckless, despite some VERY valid points that Tar brought up.

I'm sorry, at this time, I'm with Tar, which bothers me a little bit because I'm not so sure about his alignment either.

However, I'm less sure of yours at this point.

Unvote; Vote Soupfly
Andycyca
Andycyca
Andycyca

Post Post #1336 (ISO) » Tue Feb 19, 2008 6:08 am

Post by Andycyca »

Ehm, I chose Kinetic to claim...

BTRAF 6 coming to a Mafia Forum near you. Now with 50% less chlorine! Bring your tin foil hat
Mariyta
Mariyta
Mafia Scum
Mariyta
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1337 (ISO) » Tue Feb 19, 2008 6:59 am

Post by Mariyta »

Andycyca wrote:Ehm, I chose Kinetic to claim...
Since when was it a majority vote to even start the claims? You can't start claiming just because you think it's the right road and expect the rest to follow.
Millions long for immortality who don't know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon.
-Susan Ertz

Whoever thinks grammar is not important, think again. Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse and helping your uncle jack off a horse.
Andycyca
Andycyca
Andycyca

Post Post #1338 (ISO) » Tue Feb 19, 2008 7:40 am

Post by Andycyca »

Maryita, if you start saying consensus is needed in this game, you'll be labeled as scum (see 1295, 1296 and 1297)

soupfly
soupfly
Goon
soupfly
Goon
Goon

Post Post #1339 (ISO) » Tue Feb 19, 2008 11:27 am

Post by soupfly »

Kinetic wrote:
The Mafia Courier-Journal (Created by Mafia spin doctors to encourage the dark side with cryptic messages to confuse everyone).
I was willing to wait until you responded soup, mainly to guage your reaction and see if you had a response to Tar. Not only did you not have a response, you also encouraged the town to just act reckless, despite some VERY valid points that Tar brought up.

I'm sorry, at this time, I'm with Tar, which bothers me a little bit because I'm not so sure about his alignment either.

However, I'm less sure of yours at this point.

Unvote; Vote Soupfly
missed the part you quoted above. i guess i stand corrected.

you're right kinetic, i have been hasty. however, this deadline that looms over us doesn't really leave much room for proper discussion.

as far as tar, he makes a valid point about why we shouldn't rely on the newspaper clippings for info about the stores' owners. however his reasoning about why a claim would be harmful to the town is far less convining. where i stand, there's not much risk for me as a townie in claiming my store. so my vote stands.
i am sofa king!
stupid...
farside22
farside22
Mafia Mum
farside22
Mafia Mum
Mafia Mum

Post Post #1340 (ISO) » Tue Feb 19, 2008 11:54 am

Post by farside22 »

I don't mind the claim of place if it helped with the deadline looming I would rather it was quick then slow like day one.
@Tar: I'm really not seeing what you are talking about with in regards to Holy or Soup. He seems like he is trying to get somewhere the only problem we have is not knowing if anyone who didn't come back was scum or not. Plus we have no clue if any of the stores they had could be used in claiming.
Sarcasm is just a way of saying how stupid you think someone is but in a more polite way.
Mariyta
Mariyta
Mafia Scum
Mariyta
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1341 (ISO) » Tue Feb 19, 2008 2:12 pm

Post by Mariyta »

Andycyca wrote:Maryita, if you start saying consensus is needed in this game, you'll be labeled as scum (see 1295, 1296 and 1297)
Is that a threat?
Millions long for immortality who don't know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon.
-Susan Ertz

Whoever thinks grammar is not important, think again. Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse and helping your uncle jack off a horse.
Kinetic
Kinetic
Mafia Scum
Kinetic
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1342 (ISO) » Tue Feb 19, 2008 4:51 pm

Post by Kinetic »

I heard you Andy, but you jumped the gun. There was still meaningful discussion going on and I was also one of the people involved.

Soup: As it stands now, there is certainly nothing for you to lose or gain since you already prematurely claimed.

However, your main argument, that the benefits outweigh the risks because of your "scum stores" theory has been proven false. As such, the fact that these scum stores were obviously created
by the mafia
in one way or another, it is not unheard of for the scum to have created this with the sole purpose of then having this claim and
lynching the townies
that control those stores.

At this point, I do not know all of the negatives, however, from my point of view the risks are greater now than any negligible benefits that may exist.

My vote stands, even after thinking about it. If you are indeed town Soup, then you fell into a very well orchestrated scum trap. However I think the evidence points to the more likely scenario that you are actually scum and that you are trying push forward a scum plan that seems to have been set up from day one.
Andycyca
Andycyca
Andycyca

Post Post #1343 (ISO) » Tue Feb 19, 2008 5:45 pm

Post by Andycyca »

Mariyta wrote:
Andycyca wrote:Maryita, if you start saying consensus is needed in this game, you'll be labeled as scum (see 1295, 1296 and 1297)
Is that a threat?
More like a Image

Holy
Holy
Goon
Holy
Goon
Goon

Post Post #1344 (ISO) » Wed Feb 20, 2008 4:19 am

Post by Holy »

@Tarhalindur, when I'm replacing, reading all, I found tautology's mistake when voting showing that he wasn't paying enough attention as townie (scum usually not paying attention much), further his behaviour around page 39 & 40 really smell scum. With that kind of facts laid, I don't think it is necessary to re-state it over and over if everyone really read the game. And I have my third suspect, but he was so neutral so far, so until my guts backed-up with more solid case, I'm not ready to reveal it.
the silent speaker
the silent speaker
Mafia Scum
the silent speaker
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1345 (ISO) » Wed Feb 20, 2008 7:10 pm

Post by the silent speaker »

I think that claiming stores is unlikely to harm; the Courier-Journal is of course a totally unreliable source, but that cuts two ways -- we nedn't lynch someone just because they claimed for example FYE, so getting a store claim "so as to lynch the townies who own those stores" would seem to be the sort of lan that auto-backfires. That said, I think it's unlikely to gain anything significant, and have no grave objections to lynching soupfly, if necessary to have a lynch, over his presentation of the Courier-Journal as a source of information with a presumption of
validity
merely on the grounds that it hasn't already been proven false.

But there's an idea I've been turning over in my head for a while now: what do you all think of the possibility of a
claim, to ultimately facilitate sexy time? It is hardly imaginable that a claim of genders would break the game one way or the other, and it would enable townies to pick the person of suitable gender they find towniest to have their babiez and ideally increase the town-scum ratio by one.
I think it's pretty clear that TSS's awesomeness did alter the roles each of us recieved, and thus he's obviously pro-town. -- Save The Dragons
Mariyta
Mariyta
Mafia Scum
Mariyta
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1346 (ISO) » Thu Feb 21, 2008 4:29 am

Post by Mariyta »

I decided to finally read the long posts (I hate long posts with a passion) and some people make great points. Again, too much reliance on the non-trustworthy journals, especially by those who are standing out as scummy. The only journal we should be really trusting is the first one (Sun-times, I think). The second MAY give us decent info, but we shouldn't be basing cases on it. And the third we should discount almost completely (I figure we can still probably get something from it, but nothing we can count on at all).

That said, I disagree with Tar's focus on Kinetic, but I agree with the Soupfly thing. Especially since after Tar voted Soup, Soup retaliated with an OmGUS vote. It also almost sounds like Soup might be trying to defend the mafia journal (possibly the mafia journalist?).

Also, store claim is a very bad idea based on something Tar pointed out. It would highly benefit the mafia to know who has what stores, and once they kill someone, all the need to do is check the game daily and beat others to picking up the dead person's crap. A claim is a BAD IDEA, period. Town will gain nothing. Mafia will gain everything.

Vote Soupfly
-Susan Ertz

Porochaz
Porochaz
Oh, Prozac
Porochaz
Oh, Prozac
Oh, Prozac

Post Post #1347 (ISO) » Thu Feb 21, 2008 4:46 am

Post by Porochaz »

This game needs to end.

However I agree that the store claim is bad.

vote Soupfly
Mostly retired. Unless you ask or it's something interesting.
rajrhcpfreak
rajrhcpfreak
I puzzle myself sometimes
rajrhcpfreak

Post Post #1348 (ISO) » Thu Feb 21, 2008 9:08 am

Post by rajrhcpfreak »

Day Three: Bottom of Page 54 Vote Count

tautology: 5 (Holy, farside22, Andycyca, Dark Ermac, KaleiÐoscøpe)
soupfly: 4 (Tarhalindur, Kinetic, Mariyta, Porochaz)
Tarhalindur: 1 (soupfly)

Not Voting: 6 (JDodge, MissMoo, YagamiLight, Flameaxe, the silent speaker, tautology)

9 for a Lynch

Group Inventory:

Marble
Oven
Microwave
Seinfeld DVD
Chocolate Chip Cookies
Da Vinci Code
Pecan Pie
Savage Garden CD
Sunflower
Sorghum
Rice
Apples to Apples
Legally Blonde
Oven
Sam’s Cola
Mail
Buzzword

The Deadline will occur 8:00PM EST on February 24, 2008

If a majority isn't reached by Sunday, February 24th, then it will take half the number to lynch.

Whoever has the most votes after the deadline will be lynched if its 5 or more votes. if there is multiple people with the same amount of votes (two people with 5) the person who received that number first.

I am looking for a replacement for KaleiÐoscøpe
Kinetic
Kinetic
Mafia Scum
Kinetic
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1349 (ISO) » Thu Feb 21, 2008 9:31 pm

Post by Kinetic »

I support Gender claim.