Micro 431 - Noughts and Crosses Mafia

Micro Games (9 players or fewer). Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
RedCoyote
RedCoyote
Jack of All Trades
RedCoyote
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #75 (ISO) » Thu Dec 18, 2014 4:03 pm

Post by RedCoyote »

In post 71, Pine wrote:You have a reasonable point concerning scum directing who we lynch, but the two investigations nonsense is total bunk

Besides, by lynching a corner, WE take control

---
---
--O

---
-X-
--O

If scum take the center square Night One, then THEY will be forced to follow US

Your argument is invalid, and I am quite happy to make the corner we take yours

No, you're not following it through.

---
---
--O

---
-X-
--O

--O
-X-
--O

--O
-XX
--O

Now we have to block. Then X takes Top or bottom and we have to block that as well. I don't want us to play where we have to block the scum from winning. That means the scum is dictating which players we lynch.

Am I really the only one that doesn't want to block scum from TTT all game? It seems like we can't scumhunt at all past D2 in this scenario and we just hope to get lucky.
RedCoyote
RedCoyote
Jack of All Trades
RedCoyote
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #76 (ISO) » Thu Dec 18, 2014 4:05 pm

Post by RedCoyote »

Like, okay, so the game boils down to the scum win if they don't get lynched D1/D2, right? In your scenario, that's effectively the end result, right? When you concede control to the scumteam, they just have to survive two days.
vettrock
vettrock
Mafia Scum
vettrock
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Happy Scumday!

Post Post #77 (ISO) » Thu Dec 18, 2014 4:49 pm

Post by vettrock »

In post 75, RedCoyote wrote:
In post 71, Pine wrote:You have a reasonable point concerning scum directing who we lynch, but the two investigations nonsense is total bunk

Besides, by lynching a corner, WE take control

---
---
--O

---
-X-
--O

If scum take the center square Night One, then THEY will be forced to follow US

Your argument is invalid, and I am quite happy to make the corner we take yours

No, you're not following it through.

---
---
--O

---
-X-
--O

--O
-X-
--O

--O
-XX
--O

Now we have to block. Then X takes Top or bottom and we have to block that as well. I don't want us to play where we have to block the scum from winning. That means the scum is dictating which players we lynch.

Am I really the only one that doesn't want to block scum from TTT all game? It seems like we can't scumhunt at all past D2 in this scenario and we just hope to get lucky.

I do see your point here. I didn't follow it past D2. I'm still not sure taking the center is the best option. However looking at your last diagram.

At that point there are 4 dead and 5 players alive. If scum has not died yet, we are at LyLo, and need to lynch scum, or we are going to lose anyway no matter what is on the board. Hopefully scum is that square, otherwise we have lost.

If one scum has died, we have 4 town and 1 scum. We have to block. If that square is scum, we win. If that square is town, Scum gets a night kill. Then it doesn't really matter who they kill as they cannot get three in a row, and we are at three player LyLo anyways, we need to lynch scum or we lose.

So, we have to lynch scum, D1 or D2, however, there is also the chance that scum will have NK their partner in order to block. We lose in the situation that both of the scum are in the blocks that haven't been played yet. (top left, top middle, bottom left, bottom middle) in this example.
Belisarius
Belisarius
Mafia Scum
Belisarius
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #78 (ISO) » Thu Dec 18, 2014 4:51 pm

Post by Belisarius »

In post 75, RedCoyote wrote:No, you're not following it through.

---
---
--O

---
-X-
--O

--O
-X-
--O

--O
-XX
--O

Seems to me that even in this worst case scenario, our hands aren't tied until D3. How many mislynches can we afford in a 9p game to start with? 2. This also assumes we don't hit scum D1 or D2, when we will have the whole board to pick from without setting scum up for a TTT win.

Assuming we'll reach D3 in such a manner without hitting scum along the way sounds like the way scumBeli thinks when applying Shaheed's Law.
vettrock
vettrock
Mafia Scum
vettrock
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Happy Scumday!

Post Post #79 (ISO) » Thu Dec 18, 2014 5:18 pm

Post by vettrock »

In post 78, Belisarius wrote:

---
---
--O

---
-X-
--O

--O
-X-
--O

--O
-XX
--O

Seems to me that even in this worst case scenario, our hands aren't tied until D3. How many mislynches can we afford in a 9p game to start with? 2. This also assumes we don't hit scum D1 or D2, when we will have the whole board to pick from without setting scum up for a TTT win.

Assuming we'll reach D3 in such a manner without hitting scum along the way sounds like the way scumBeli thinks when applying Shaheed's Law.

It is not just who we lynch, it is also the NK that could be scum. So for example we pick:

O--
---
---

scum takes the center:
O--
-X-
---

If our D1 lynch was town, At this point we have to either select the top right corner, or the bottom left corner. We should select the top right corner if we suspect either the top middle or the top right.

O-O
-X-
---

If we lynch the top right, the scum, must NK the top middle, or they lose. So if either of those squares are scum, we are down one scum. If all are town, we have to lynch the bottom middle D3, and if it is not scum, we lose. If it is scum, the scum NK's someone, and we are in 3p LyLo.

If either the D1 lynch, or the D2 lynch or N2 NK is scum, we have the option to select someone not in the "right" square if we are pretty sure they are scum to go for the win, realizing if we are wrong, scum wins by NKing for the three in a row.
vettrock
vettrock
Mafia Scum
vettrock
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Happy Scumday!

Post Post #80 (ISO) » Thu Dec 18, 2014 5:33 pm

Post by vettrock »

Also, after thinking some more. We don't have to take a corner. But I think is gives the scum a bit more options, but we still have a fair amount of control.

Say we take a side:
---
O--
---

Scum takes the center:

---
OX-
---

At this point we have to take either the top middle or bottom middle:

I'll select top middle for example
-O-
OX-
---

Now scum can select the top left corner, and we have to respond with the bottom right. If none of those are scum, we have lost as there are only 4 players left, and 2 are scum. If at least one scum is dead, the board looks like:

XO-
OX-
--O

Scum will NK someone, and No one is going to get three in a row, and we have to find the one scum out of the 3 in 3p LyLo.

or the scum can select the top right or bottom left corner so we have (it doesn't matter which one, since we have to select the other one):

Selecting top right for example:
-OX
OX-
---

At that point, we would have to take the bottom left. If none of those 5 is scum, we have lost. If one of the dead is scum, we go to 3p LyLo, and no one is getting three in a row.

I think taking a corner is probably better, as it take away the options from the scum, but a lot of it depend on who we think is scummy.
Mathdino
Mathdino
Survivor
Mathdino
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #81 (ISO) » Thu Dec 18, 2014 6:26 pm

Post by Mathdino »

In post 62, Pine wrote:Hey, guy. I was reaction testing when I suggested we lynch me. Taking the center square first is the sucker's route. It can't lead to anything but a tie. The only way to actually win is to do something else

An example

We put an O in the center, scum takes a corner X, then any space we go in leads us to endless countering
We put an O in the center, scum takes a side X, then any space we go in leads us to endless countering

Do the math. Lynching me is anti-Town from the Tic Tac Toe angle, in addition to the fact that it bypasses a shot at scum

Our best bet is to take a corner, that gives us options. I think it should be RedCoyote. This is just the reaction I was resting for.the opportunity to lynch an Innocdnt Child who's willing to go is just too much a temptation

Vote RedCoyote

This was brilliant omg

---
---
--O

---
-X-
--O

--O
-X-
--O

--O
-XX
--O

Brother, we get to choose 3 deaths in the game; one of them HAS to be scum (pretty much just like the normal 3 deaths we choose in micros). From then on it's down to lynching scum. We play TTT until 3p LyLo and hope we get it right.

The 2 sides opposite RedCoyote are Kaboose and Belisarius, both townreads.
I'm totally down with this lynch.
Pine
Pine
In Your Head
Pine
In Your Head
In Your Head

Post Post #82 (ISO) » Thu Dec 18, 2014 6:30 pm

Post by Pine »

Yep. RedCoyote is scum, and a corner to boot
"Cry havoc, and let slip the wombat of war!"

Act 3, Scene 1 of
Julius Caesar
, by W. Shakespeare
Mathdino
Mathdino
Survivor
Mathdino
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #83 (ISO) » Thu Dec 18, 2014 8:59 pm

Post by Mathdino »

UNVOTE: T-Bone

because that puts us in a terrible position.

I'm here to vote RC whenever but I agree it's too early for L-1 just in case.
Pine
Pine
In Your Head
Pine
In Your Head
In Your Head

Post Post #84 (ISO) » Thu Dec 18, 2014 9:00 pm

Post by Pine »

Choo choo

Act 3, Scene 1 of
Julius Caesar
, by W. Shakespeare
Empking
Empking
Empking's Alt's Alt
Empking
Empking's Alt's Alt
Empking's Alt's Alt

Post Post #85 (ISO) » Thu Dec 18, 2014 10:15 pm

Post by Empking »

The busiest vote count so far

RedCoyote (3) - Kaboose, Equinox, Scripten
Pine (1) - RedCoyote

Note Voting:T-Bone, Pine, Belisarius, vettrock, Mathdino
Five votes to lynch.
(expired on 2014-12-25 09:48:12)
Last edited by Empking on Fri Dec 19, 2014 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Plus, if you guys want to make a point, skip the walls, because everyone else in the game does as well. - Magister Ludi
Mathdino
Mathdino
Survivor
Mathdino
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #86 (ISO) » Thu Dec 18, 2014 10:27 pm

Post by Mathdino »

With the exception of Kaboose, the entirety of the RC wagon (including myself because I'd have voted if not L-1) is lining themselves up for tomorrow's lynch.

I like the odds of this wagon being town-motivated.

In other news, vettrock is pinging me weirdly. Equinox seems town. Too early to tell for Scripten but he at least seems genuine.
Mathdino
Mathdino
Survivor
Mathdino
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #87 (ISO) » Thu Dec 18, 2014 10:33 pm

Post by Mathdino »

In post 0, Empking wrote:
T-Bone Belisarius Mathdino
Kaboose Pine vettrock
Equinox Scripten RedCoyote

Keep in mind that our D3 lynch is absolutely not forced. I mean technically it is but we have control over it.

Suppose for now that RC gets lynched, flips whatever.
Scum kills Pine excepting shenanigans.
Then suppose we collectively decide, say, vettrock is scum.
We can lynch either of vettrock or myself and thus line up the next day's lynch.

See, if we lynch vettrock, scum has to NK me. Then we lynch Equinox and scum kills Scripten.
On the other hand, if we lynch me, scum would have to NK vettrock, then we lynch Kaboose and scum gets to choose who to kill, putting us in 3p LyLo.

We have more control over this than you'd think. Just keep in mind that in lynching RC, we admit that if T-Bone is scum, he can't be lynched until LyLo. Furthermore when we choose which side to go on (the Equinox/Scripten side or the vettrock/Mathdino side) we admit the same for Kaboose and Belisarius, respectively.
Belisarius
Belisarius
Mafia Scum
Belisarius
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #88 (ISO) » Fri Dec 19, 2014 2:01 am

Post by Belisarius »

I've no objection to L-1 (Or a hammer, for that matter) at this point, but I'll withhold my vote due to multiple townreads being unready.

And that little doubting voice in my head? As Shakespeare once said, "
Fuck
that guy."
Kaboose
Kaboose
Mafia Scum
Kaboose
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #89 (ISO) » Fri Dec 19, 2014 2:25 am

Post by Kaboose »

In post 59, RedCoyote wrote:If we then lynch, say, vettrock, then the scum have to kill Kaboose. If Kaboose isn't killed, he's confirmed scum.

I want to point out that this is such a useless point. It has nothing to do with scum confirming me, because at this point it wouldn't matter if I was scum, a SK, the mod, Jesus Christ or Brad Pitt. Town win the game. The only thing it would confirm is that town have won the game, so why are you trying to make it seem like this scenario matters? The reason this matters to me, is because you're not pointing out that town would win, and to me that sort of tells me you're not concerned with them winning I guess.

It's like you're more interested in telling us how people get confirmed scum, than how we win. In this scenario we would win by lynching me and in that scenario I'd be the first person to vote for me.

Maybe it was just a mental lapse but I read that and it stuck out like a sore thumb to me that you'd rather try and say someone was confirmed scum, than say town win by simply lynching that person. Maybe it stuck out more because you used me as an example, but you're the one typing out that scenario and for you to not realize that would win the game for town makes me think you're not thinking about ways town win.

Also you're right the center square gives us a great control of the board, you're wrong that we should lynch a confirmed townie. Only time that's worth doing is if it wins the game some how. However, considering it would be the first lynch I don't see how we win doing that.
Scripten
Scripten
Mafia Scum
Scripten
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #90 (ISO) » Fri Dec 19, 2014 5:46 am

Post by Scripten »

In post 86, Mathdino wrote:
In other news, vettrock is pinging me weirdly.

Have you played with Vettrock before?

() reads strangely for me.

Kaboose:
You wrote a lot about how that one particular quote was problematic, but that post just feels like fluff and posturing. Why aren't you voting for RedCoyote right now?
Mathdino
Mathdino
Survivor
Mathdino
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #91 (ISO) » Fri Dec 19, 2014 5:48 am

Post by Mathdino »

Nope. Something I should know/read?
Scripten
Scripten
Mafia Scum
Scripten
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #92 (ISO) » Fri Dec 19, 2014 6:32 am

Post by Scripten »

In post 91, Mathdino wrote:Nope. Something I should know/read?

Nothing particularly solid. I played one game where Vettrock showed up and he pinged for me, as well. If you ISO him in Micro 382, you'll probably see a lot of the same red flags as in this game.
Kaboose
Kaboose
Mafia Scum
Kaboose
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #93 (ISO) » Fri Dec 19, 2014 7:23 am

Post by Kaboose »

In post 90, Scripten wrote:
In post 86, Mathdino wrote:
In other news, vettrock is pinging me weirdly.

Have you played with Vettrock before?

() reads strangely for me.

Kaboose:
You wrote a lot about how that one particular quote was problematic, but that post just feels like fluff and posturing. Why aren't you voting for RedCoyote right now?

Why aren't you following the thread? I have a vote on RedCoyote.

I wrote about the one part that stuck out to me because everyone else already hit home the rest of it. I didn't need to go over it again with the same brush.
vettrock
vettrock
Mafia Scum
vettrock
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Happy Scumday!

Post Post #94 (ISO) » Fri Dec 19, 2014 7:55 am

Post by vettrock »

In post 87, Mathdino wrote:
In post 0, Empking wrote:
T-Bone Belisarius Mathdino
Kaboose Pine vettrock
Equinox Scripten RedCoyote

Keep in mind that our D3 lynch is absolutely not forced. I mean technically it is but we have control over it.

Suppose for now that RC gets lynched, flips whatever.
Scum kills Pine excepting shenanigans.
Then suppose we collectively decide, say, vettrock is scum.
We can lynch either of vettrock or myself and thus line up the next day's lynch.

See, if we lynch vettrock, scum has to NK me. Then we lynch Equinox and scum kills Scripten.
On the other hand, if we lynch me, scum would have to NK vettrock, then we lynch Kaboose and scum gets to choose who to kill, putting us in 3p LyLo.

We have more control over this than you'd think. Just keep in mind that in lynching RC, we admit that if T-Bone is scum, he can't be lynched until LyLo. Furthermore when we choose which side to go on (the Equinox/Scripten side or the vettrock/Mathdino side) we admit the same for Kaboose and Belisarius, respectively.

I agree we have control over who is lynched D3, but we have to make that decision earlier than D3. At D3, we are pretty much locked in.

Assuming we we lynch RC, at that point we have to select either the Equinox/Scripten side, or the vettrock/Mathdino side. Suppose for example we think Equinox is the scum. At that point we need to look at who is opposite. We have Mathdino and Belisarius. If we think Belisarius is the scummier of the two, we should lynch Equinox. This will force the scum to NK Scripten, and we will be forced to lynch Belisarius D3. If we think Equinox is scum, but think Mathdino is scummier than Belisarius, we need to lynch Scripten, even if we think Equinox is the scum. This forces the scum to NK Equinox (even if he is scum). If scum doesn't NK Equinox, we lynch the next day for the win. If scum does NK Equinox, then we are forced to lynch Mathdino to block. At this point if at least one scum has been lynch, we are in 3p LyLo. if zero scum have been lynched, we will have lost. If both scum have been lynched, we obviously will win.

So yes, we do have a limited control over who is lynched. The trick is to identify the T pattern (in any rotation) that we think has the most chance of scum, or the 7 pattern:

XXX
-X-
X--

Which can be rotated or mirror image, and has at least one scum in it. We are basically selecting 4 of the 8 possible scum locations an hoping at least one of the 4 is scum.

I'll address why lynching Pine is a bad idea next, and how it is giving up control to the scum:

If we lynch Pine, the scum then can select any square for the NK This effectively protects the square opposite. So for example they could NK T-bone:

X--
-O-
---

At this point, we can lynch anyone but RC. If we lynch RC, even if he is scum, we have:

X--
-O-
--O

Scum now can NK either across the top, or down the left column. Scum knows where they are, so they will NK the opposite or is the scum is the right middle or bottom middle in this example, it doesn't matter which direction they go, which sets them up to force our lynch and keep them from getting three in a row. We are essentially in LyLo but there are still 5 players and only 1 is scum because our only chance to win is lynching scum on that turn, or they win by three in a row.

Assuming we don't lynch the spot across from the NK, we have a choice of anyone else:

X--
OO-
---

We force their NK:

X--
OOX
---

At this point, we have selected only 2 of the possible 8 as scum. The IC is by definition town, and the scum have an open board so they are NKing town on N1. In the other example, we are forcing their NK to a specific square, which may be scum. We then need to select one of the remaining 5 to be scum. If there are two scum still alive, We have to get it right as we are in 5p LyLo, or they will NK town and have the majority. If one of the 2 of 8 that we selected was scum, we can force their NK to the square we want, with the exception of the lower right in this example. If we slect the lower right, and it is not scum, scum can NK anywhere and we are in 3p LyLo. If we select any other, we are selecting 2 squares for scum to be in since they have to block. So selecting 2/5 of which one has to be scum, which then puts us in 3p LyLo if we are wrong.

XO-
OOX
-X-

So in summary, If we lynch the IC in the center, we have to get the scum in 2/8, and then 2/5 since we have wasted our first lynch on town, and the scum choose their NK on N1. If we select a non center square, they have to use their NK on N1 on the center IC, and then we can force where their second NK is, and the space across to block, so we have to find one scum with a 4/8 chance instead of of 2/8.
Scripten
Scripten
Mafia Scum
Scripten
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #95 (ISO) » Fri Dec 19, 2014 8:13 am

Post by Scripten »

In post 93, Kaboose wrote:

I wrote about the one part that stuck out to me because everyone else already hit home the rest of it. I didn't need to go over it again with the same brush.

Nevermind, I hadn't noticed that you'd RVS'd him. My bad.

I suppose this is fair. I assume, based on your post, that your RVS vote is serious now and you would like to see RedCoyote lynched, then?
vettrock
vettrock
Mafia Scum
vettrock
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Happy Scumday!

Post Post #96 (ISO) » Fri Dec 19, 2014 8:33 am

Post by vettrock »

In post 69, RedCoyote wrote:I want to press this. You're saying let's take a 1/8 shot over controlling the entire game. I don't think that's a reasonable trade-off. I mean, I'm willing to debate this further, but it's not even close to me right now.

It's like saying choose between a one-shot vig and a two-shot cop.

The TL;DR version of my previous post. By taking a non-center square, we have to hit one scum by selecting 4/8 squares. By taking the center square, we have to hit one scum in 2/8 and then if successful, 2/5.
Kaboose
Kaboose
Mafia Scum
Kaboose
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #97 (ISO) » Fri Dec 19, 2014 8:56 am

Post by Kaboose »

In post 95, Scripten wrote:

I suppose this is fair. I assume, based on your post, that your RVS vote is serious now and you would like to see RedCoyote lynched, then?

Yes I would like to see RedCoyote lynched currently based on him agreeing to lynch a confirmed townie, and based on my post earlier.
Pine
Pine
In Your Head
Pine
In Your Head
In Your Head

Post Post #98 (ISO) » Fri Dec 19, 2014 1:08 pm

Post by Pine »

In post 97, Kaboose wrote:

Yes I would like to see RedCoyote lynched currently based on him agreeing to lynch a confirmed townie, and based on my post earlier.

RedCoyote's justification was more elaborate than that, and so is the case against him. This looks like distancing

Act 3, Scene 1 of
Julius Caesar
, by W. Shakespeare
Kaboose
Kaboose
Mafia Scum
Kaboose
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #99 (ISO) » Fri Dec 19, 2014 3:14 pm

Post by Kaboose »

In post 98, Pine wrote:
In post 97, Kaboose wrote:

RedCoyote's justification was more elaborate than that, and so is the case against him. This looks like distancing

This looks like a confirmed townie over thinking things.

Return to “Mayfair Club [Micro Games]”