Metagaming

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
spectrumvoid
spectrumvoid
Problem Child
spectrumvoid
Problem Child
Problem Child

Post Post #25 (ISO) » Wed May 30, 2007 6:06 am

Post by spectrumvoid »

I'm in/have been in a couple of games with BM as well (and with TCS too). However, I don't think BM's behaviour is 100% detrimental to town. It's always worthwhile to see how other players react to BM, and catching those who unduly push BM.

I'm with pablito here. Pab's playstyle is completely mind-boggling, and usually seems scummy. But pab's specific playstyle has helped to net scum quite a bit. (Newbie 280 springs immediately to mind, but I'm sure I've read a few.)
Blank.
pablito
pablito
Mafia Scum
pablito
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #26 (ISO) » Wed May 30, 2007 2:52 pm

Post by pablito »

The Central Scrutinizer wrote:It's that he can derail legitimate bandwagons with his mere presence in the game. It's that he openly and blatantly says, "yeah I'm scummy as hell, but it's worth it to screw up the games in which I'm town in order to have cover when I'm scum."
I do not see how being able to "derail legitimate bandwagons" is a one-person process. Players and scum have every right to keep their vote where it is or they can switch to vote the "derailer". Then again, I think my game philosophy is different than some others because I tend to blame the town as a whole when some things fall flat.

There is a point that players may take that stance as a cover for future games. But I have to strongly believe that no one ever played their first game and said "I will purposely try to lose the game so that when I'm on the other side, people will think differently of me." New players notice how people react to their behaviors and change their playstyles accordingly. Something must have happened in the early games which may have caused a player to choose his playstyle and in later games players' reactions have reinforced this behavior. I think lynching is only going to reinforce the behavior.

If you truly think that a player is being detrimental in all games because of his/her style, don't give a person a pass just because he's new or because he fits the profile, but don't automatically lynch a player because of his/her playstyle; take it all case-by-case. But if it happens a lot and you have a distaste for any specific playing style, then try to isolate your feelings apart from everything else and it can help you gauge the player better. And if you're the vig, then no matter.

But the big reason why it's not good to policy-lynch any player D1 is because it may cause this person to amplify their behavior D1 until they get the message, but even then, they may just give up on mafiascum and spread the bad word or they may just return to their style later on anyway. I know some players that tend to get killed N1 because of their reputation (a policy night-kill) may be more aggressive in D1 because they know they might not have long to live. They adapted to the style because they die early and they see no reason to abandon that style for D1. Similarly, if you make someone a policy lynch, they may continue with a style that benefits them for D1.
Sup, later.
Battle Mage
Battle Mage
Jester
Battle Mage
Jester
Jester

Post Post #27 (ISO) » Thu May 31, 2007 10:46 am

Post by Battle Mage »

the answer to your query TCS, is obvious. If you think a player always looks scummy, you metagame and find out whether they are being 'normal-scummy' or 'strange-scummy'.
if you think a player is distracting the town, their is a good answer:
DONT KEEP CALLING THEM UP ON IT.
When you make a thread like this, whilst simultaneously drawing attention away from lynching scum youself, in games, it makes little sense.
BM
Show
2020 Stats - 31 completed games:

Survived to the end and won - 11
Nightkilled - 10
Survived to the end and lost - 6
Day-elimmed by majority - 4

winrate as scum: 78%
winrate as town: 55%
Jack
Jack
Jack of All Trades
Jack
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #28 (ISO) » Thu May 31, 2007 11:26 am

Post by Jack »

If you think BM is scummy in every game maybe you need to look at your scumdar.
The Central Scrutinizer
The Central Scrutinizer
Mafia Scum
The Central Scrutinizer
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #29 (ISO) » Thu May 31, 2007 11:47 am

Post by The Central Scrutinizer »

Yeah, it's pretty clear I need to work on my own play before I start bitching about other peoples'.
"You might very well think that; I couldn't
possibly
comment."
The Central Scrutinizer
The Central Scrutinizer
Mafia Scum
The Central Scrutinizer
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #30 (ISO) » Thu May 31, 2007 11:52 am

In the scheme of things I prefer modding anyway.
possibly
comment."
Khelvaster
Khelvaster
Mafia Scum
Khelvaster
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #31 (ISO) » Sun Jun 17, 2007 4:08 pm

Post by Khelvaster »

battlemage doesn't seem that bad to me. If it weren't for his unreasoned vote which put someone at lynch -2, he would be a perfectly normal townie in the game I'm in w/him right now.
Lag actually does exist in real life. For proof, look no further than Jesus: When he died, it took him three *days* to respawn.
Mr. Flay
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Metatron

Post Post #32 (ISO) » Sun Jun 17, 2007 4:46 pm

Post by Mr. Flay »

Please don't discuss ongoing games outside of the game thread. I'd hate to see one of you get modkilled and disrupt the game.
Retired as of October 2014.
Stewie
Stewie
Mafia Scum
Stewie
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #33 (ISO) » Sun Jun 17, 2007 6:29 pm

Post by Stewie »

Battle Mage wrote:the answer to your query TCS, is obvious. If you think a player always looks scummy, you metagame and find out whether they are being 'normal-scummy' or 'strange-scummy'.
if you think a player is distracting the town, their is a good answer:
DONT KEEP CALLING THEM UP ON IT.
When you make a thread like this, whilst simultaneously drawing attention away from lynching scum youself, in games, it makes little sense.
BM
This makes no sense.

vote: battle mage
ShadowLurker
ShadowLurker
9 years old
ShadowLurker
9 years old
9 years old

Post Post #34 (ISO) » Sun Jun 17, 2007 7:30 pm

Post by ShadowLurker »

Who the fuck said this:

"BM isn't just town. He's anti-scum."
:sadtorch Ken Hoang, A.D/Fuzzie, Cameron Ferris, Taj Johnson-George, Annie Duke, Patti Blagojevich, Maria/Tiffany :sadtorch
:torch Tammy/Victor, Dan/Jordan
Mr. Flay
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Metatron

Post Post #35 (ISO) » Mon Jun 18, 2007 10:56 am

Post by Mr. Flay »

Whichever Anonymous Cowards are tagging Battle Mage's wikipage with slams and insults
really
need to knock it off. IPs found to do so so far have been blocked from using the wiki for three days, and if necessary I will ask mith or JEEP to reveal who these users are, as it amounts to personal attacks without the chance of retaliation.
It's not acceptable.
We're a
community
, not a locker room.
Retired as of October 2014.
Occult
Occult
Goon
Occult
Goon
Goon

Post Post #36 (ISO) » Mon Jun 18, 2007 1:40 pm

Post by Occult »

Wow, good job. Anonymously attacking someone. Battle Mage what do you have to say to these bitches?

*Waits*
JDodge
JDodge
Accept it
JDodge
Accept it
Accept it

Post Post #37 (ISO) » Tue Jun 19, 2007 6:59 am

Post by JDodge »

Just fixed one.

This is just ridiculous.
MrBuddyLee
MrBuddyLee
Slightly better than 50-50
MrBuddyLee

Post Post #38 (ISO) » Tue Jun 19, 2007 7:35 am

Post by MrBuddyLee »

It's pretty common practice on forums to out alts who try to influence discussion via more than one personality. I think that the mods should definitely consider making public the identities of any main-alt pairs who post in Mafia Discussion or General Discussion, or anyone who defaces the wiki. Sunlight's the best disinfectant, amirite?

If you guys want to play in games as your little Donnie Darko alter-egos that's one thing, but quit shitting up discussion threads and the wiki under the guise of anonymity. It won't be long before you're the next StallingChamp--someone who no one will ever take seriously or allow in their games.
dialing in mildly protown reads since 2006
The Central Scrutinizer
The Central Scrutinizer
Mafia Scum
The Central Scrutinizer
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #39 (ISO) » Tue Jun 19, 2007 8:00 am

Just for the record, I don't play with the wiki... I've pretty much resolved my issue with BM.
possibly
comment."
Zindaras
Zindaras
Mr(s) Popularity
Zindaras
Mr(s) Popularity
Mr(s) Popularity

Post Post #40 (ISO) » Wed Jun 20, 2007 2:01 am

Post by Zindaras »

Glork wrote:
The Central Scrutinizer wrote:It's that he openly and blatantly says, "yeah I'm scummy as hell, but it's worth it to screw up the games in which I'm town in order to have cover when I'm scum."
I will never understand this sentiment, even though I've seen a handful of players hold it. :?
It's actually quite a suboptimal idea to begin with, since you'd be better off doing it the other way around. After all, you're more often town than scum.

It's not an acceptable strategy and I'd consider it akin to ruining the game. The goal of every single player in a game is to win the game. That's what the Role PM says, and that's what you should attempt to reach. Playing to lose is very very annoying.

As for the rest, /agree with Flay and MBL.
Show
Finished: 159 (120 Town, 33 Mafia, 5 Other, 1 Cult, 4 Cultivated)
68 Wins, 71 Losses
Town: 52 Wins, 54 Losses (2 Wins as Cult)
Mafia: 13 Wins, 15 Losses (1 Win as Cult)
Other: 3 Wins, 1 Loss (1 Win as Cult)
Cult: 0 Wins, 1 Loss
Cultivated: 4 Wins, 0 Losses
59 Survived, 31 Lynched, 60 Killed
Cavane
Cavane
Goon
Cavane
Goon
Goon

Post Post #41 (ISO) » Wed Jun 20, 2007 10:30 am

Post by Cavane »

Seriously. I thought this community was above this sort of thing. (And I realize most of it is.) Grow up, or GTFO.

Return to “Mafia Discussion”