Newbie 380: OH NOES! IT'S OVA

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
MeMe
MeMe
Post or Perish
MeMe
Post or Perish
Post or Perish

Newbie 380: OH NOES! IT'S OVA

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Sun May 27, 2007 2:40 pm

Post by MeMe »

What a nasty little town this has become. Mafia have arrived and are systematically gunning down the nice townfolk. What should decent, smart people do?
MOVE
, of course. What are YOU gonna do? Try to figure out who the bad guys are and lynch 'em during the daylight! I'm not kidding, folks. That's the plan. Deal with it.

Alive (2)

ojpower (Mafia)
SnowWhite (Mafia)

Dead (5)

Eagle (Townie) - lynched Day 1
JDodge (Townie) - killed Night 1
Valen85
replaces Drunky McDrinksalot
(Townie) - lynched Day 2
Off the Mark (Townie) - killed in Endgame
rainy
replaces Nik Zero
(Townie) - killed in Endgame

No current deadline

~~~~~~~~~~~~

One of the following four set-ups is used for this game:

a) 2 mafia, 1 cop, 1 doc, 3 townies
b) 2 mafia, 1 cop, 4 townies
c) 2 mafia, 1 doc, 4 townies
d) 2 mafia, 5 townies

Note: in view of the number of players, we will start in the day phase, although most larger games start with a night. The mafia will be allowed to communicate pre-game, though no role will submit choices until Day 1 is over.

Possible roles:

You are the mafia
. You may only talk with each other during the game's "night," not during the "day." You let me know before the night's deadline who will be your victim. You win the game when all the other players are dead.

You are the cop
. Every "night" before the deadline you send me a message with a name of your choice, and I will let you know whether that player is mafia or not. You are not allowed to communicate with any of the other players outside the thread. You win the game when the mafia are dead.

You are the doctor
. Every "night" before the deadline you send me a message with a name of your choice, and that player cannot die if attacked by the mafia that night. You cannot heal yourself. You are not allowed to communicate with any of the other players outside the thread. You win the game when the mafia are dead.

You are a townie
. You are not allowed to communicate with any of the other players outside the thread. You win the game when the mafia are dead.
Last edited by MeMe on Mon Jun 25, 2007 5:22 am, edited 8 times in total.
Remember...It's not a lie if you believe it. -- G. Costanza
MeMe
MeMe
Post or Perish
MeMe
Post or Perish
Post or Perish

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Sun May 27, 2007 2:40 pm

Post by MeMe »

The Rules
:
  • Votes must be in
    bold
    . If you do not bold your vote, it will not be counted.
  • Please be attentive and
    unvote
    , if necessary, before casting a new vote. This is not
    required
    , but I’d appreciate it.
  • Executions will require a simple majority of votes. Once a player has reached the necessary majority, his pleas are useless and any attempts to unvote will be unheeded. You may
    vote: no lynch
    – majority votes of this kind are necessary to end the day without a death.
  • The game is not to be discussed outside of the thread unless your role specifically states that you may do so.
  • Once your death scene has been posted, you’re dead. Stop typing.
  • Don’t edit/delete previously submitted posts
  • Don’t quote any PMs from me.
  • If you have a night choice to make, it is due by the posted deadline. I will not wait for you – if you do not submit a choice to me, tough! No choice will be made.
  • If you anticipate being unavailable for more than a 48-hour period, please post a notice to that effect in the thread.
    Treat this game as a commitment. Be considerate – don’t leave us hanging.
  • Remember, it’s a game. It’s supposed to played. It’s supposed to be
    fun
    . Do your part.
MeMe
MeMe
Post or Perish
MeMe
Post or Perish
Post or Perish

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Tue May 29, 2007 7:20 am

Post by MeMe »

All confirmations have been received.

Seven alive means four to lynch -- game on!
ojpower
ojpower
Townie
ojpower
Townie
Townie

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Tue May 29, 2007 7:26 am

Post by ojpower »

Hi everybody.
SnowWhite
SnowWhite
Goon
SnowWhite
Goon
Goon

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Tue May 29, 2007 7:28 am

Post by SnowWhite »

Howdy
Random vote: Drunky McDrinksalot

Because everyone knows that alcoholics are in the mafia.
I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed person.
Off the Mark
Off the Mark
Mafia Scum
Off the Mark
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Tue May 29, 2007 7:39 am

Post by Off the Mark »

Random.org says:

vote: Eagle
JDodge
JDodge
Accept it
JDodge
Accept it
Accept it

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Tue May 29, 2007 7:46 am

Post by JDodge »

Vote: ojpower
Drunky McDrinksalot
Drunky McDrinksalot
Goon
Drunky McDrinksalot
Goon
Goon

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Tue May 29, 2007 8:02 am

Post by Drunky McDrinksalot »

OMGUSVOTE - Snow white
, cuz everyone knows that the first to random vote
must
be mafia...
Scientists tell us that the fastest animal on earth, with a top speed of 120 ft/sec, is a cow that has been dropped out of a helicopter.
Off the Mark
Off the Mark
Mafia Scum
Off the Mark
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Tue May 29, 2007 8:17 am

Post by Off the Mark »

ojpower wrote:Hi everybody.
Hi, Dr. Nick! (ok someone had to say it)

:D
Eagle
Eagle
Townie
Eagle
Townie
Townie
Happy Scumday!

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Tue May 29, 2007 9:19 am

Post by Eagle »

lol hey first game (online).
I'm not rly sure who it is (since it's the first stage), but I think Drunky Mcdrinksalot is mafia. Well maybe, but he's using that excuse of someone voting first to get away from being lynched. There HAS to be someone thats gonna vote first anyway, and he used that excuse to avoid being lynched.
Vote Drunky McDrinksAlot
ojpower
ojpower
Townie
ojpower
Townie
Townie

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Tue May 29, 2007 12:34 pm

Post by ojpower »

Ok, I put all the names in a hat and picked a name randomly. =D
Vote:Drunky McDrinksalot
SnowWhite
SnowWhite
Goon
SnowWhite
Goon
Goon

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Tue May 29, 2007 12:38 pm

Post by SnowWhite »

ojpower wrote:Ok, I put all the names in a hat and picked a name randomly. =D
Wow, that's certainly a good way to start conversation. Why put him at lynch-1?
dylan41985
dylan41985
Goon
dylan41985
Goon
Goon

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Tue May 29, 2007 12:42 pm

Post by dylan41985 »

can i join?

[edit by MeMe]You can join a game, but not this one as it's already in progress. Please don't post in any more game threads[/edit]
ojpower
ojpower
Townie
ojpower
Townie
Townie

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Tue May 29, 2007 12:51 pm

Post by ojpower »

SnowWhite wrote:
ojpower wrote:Ok, I put all the names in a hat and picked a name randomly. =D
Wow, that's certainly a good way to start conversation. Why put him at lynch-1?
First name I draw=person who I vote for to lynch
Second name I draw=next person I lynch, unless I find someone else that acts scummy.
Off the Mark
Off the Mark
Mafia Scum
Off the Mark
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Tue May 29, 2007 12:55 pm

Post by Off the Mark »

You might want to rethink that strategy. Assuming you're town, you really don't want to put someone at lynch -1 this early in the game. Mafia could easily cast the last vote and day 1 would end without us learning anything.

FOS: ojpower
for not unvoting even when told he just put someone at lynch -1.
Off the Mark
Off the Mark
Mafia Scum
Off the Mark
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Tue May 29, 2007 6:09 pm

Post by Off the Mark »

unvote:

vote: ojpower
ojpower
ojpower
Townie
ojpower
Townie
Townie

Post Post #16 (ISO) » Wed May 30, 2007 1:34 am

Post by ojpower »

Off the Mark wrote:You might want to rethink that strategy. Assuming you're town, you really don't want to put someone at lynch -1 this early in the game. Mafia could easily cast the last vote and day 1 would end without us learning anything.

FOS: ojpower
for not unvoting even when told he just put someone at lynch -1.
Oh, ok. This is like my 2nd or 3rd time in a forum. And what does FOS mean?
Unvote
JDodge
JDodge
Accept it
JDodge
Accept it
Accept it

Post Post #17 (ISO) » Wed May 30, 2007 1:52 am

Post by JDodge »

Finger of Suspicion.
Off The Mark wrote:You might want to rethink that strategy. Assuming you're town, you really don't want to put someone at lynch -1 this early in the game. Mafia could easily cast the last vote and day 1 would end without us learning anything.

FOS: ojpower for not unvoting even when told he just put someone at lynch -1.
Not necessarily, though; there's a chance that a pro-town player who's either not paying attention or just impatient will put that last vote down.
Drunky McDrinksalot
Drunky McDrinksalot
Goon
Drunky McDrinksalot
Goon
Goon

Post Post #18 (ISO) » Wed May 30, 2007 5:12 am

OK, first off, bad eagle. Quite trying to ferret out scumtells from the snarky random voting stage. While these posts are sometimes good indicators of scumitude, that generally is only when referenced back later in the game. My vote was first off clearly omgus (oh my God, you suck*) and even referenced the same joke reason that the original vote on me had. Too soon, padawan, too soon... (you would have really found my first choice of vote scummy if I had gone with it, as random.org told me to vote for you, as well. That site must hate you... or know something we don't :shock:)

On the other hand:
ojpower wrote:First name I draw=person who I vote for to lynch
Second name I draw=next person I lynch, unless I find someone else that acts scummy.
This is maybe the scummiest thing I've seen on a first page, like, ever. It is so bad that I am almost unable to believe that you are scum because scum just wouldn't admit to it, but then we enter into the realm of WIFOM (wine in front of me**).

Let us first examine the terminology used here. "Person who I vote for to lynch". Votes are not used just for lynching, and in truth lynching is the least useful part of a vote. This early in the game the goal isn't to lynch someone (if you are a town), but rather to gather information. Votes placed often appear to be silly or random, but they seldom are. It is up to the town to decipher the meaning behind them. Randomly voting to lynch someone will only ever benefit the scum, so admitting to such automatically makes you look scummy to me. This makes your choices arbitrary and ultimately not useful (if this method is actually used in the game and not just at the random vote stage). Before people get to the point that they are an obvious lynch target, votes are the only way a townie has to try to apply pressure to someone. If there is someone who is suspicious, a vote should be applied to leverage information from them. Lynching is actually the last thing you want to use a vote for.

"Unless I find someone else that acts scummy". This implies to me that you don't care who you kill, so long as there is someone dead. Scum will often throw their partner under the bus if it will make them look better, knowing that they will get a night kill from the town and the next day they will look more cleared due to the "work" they did outing a scum the previous day.

You are at -1 to lynch (which personally I think isn't necessary, and is potentially dangerous, at this point), but I do think you warrant a
FOS - ojpower

JDodge, your last post is bothering me a bit, and I'm not sure why. While it is technically true that if someone hammers at this point in the game it doesn't automatically mean they are the scum, it does just about guaranty that person will be lynched the next day, or at least investigated by the cop (if we have one) in the night. I don't really see the point of this reminder unless it is foreshadowing that you are an impatient player and might be the one to do it later... at which point it will
still
look scummy.

*I am not putting these here to be insulting to anyone, just a helpful reminder or a quick heads up to those who might not know the terminology.

**The wine in front of me is taken from the movie "The Princess Bride" when the game of who drinks the poison is played. It is used to reference a situation where circular logic would prevent you from making a well informed choice. "Only scum would do that, but you admitted to doing that, so you probably aren't scum, because they would never admit to it, but that might be what you want me to think, so you
are
scum... etc. etc.
ad nauseum
."
Scientists tell us that the fastest animal on earth, with a top speed of 120 ft/sec, is a cow that has been dropped out of a helicopter.
Off the Mark
Off the Mark
Mafia Scum
Off the Mark
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #19 (ISO) » Wed May 30, 2007 5:35 am

Post by Off the Mark »

ojpower is at lynch -2 not lynch -1

The rest of your post I agree with and think it is great analysis/advice

It's tough in these games to separate the newb moves from the scum tells. I am suspicious of both Eagle and ojpower at this point, but need more discussion from them to make a decision. I'll leave my vote where it is for now to see what comes of it.
JDodge
JDodge
Accept it
JDodge
Accept it
Accept it

Post Post #20 (ISO) » Wed May 30, 2007 5:48 am

Post by JDodge »

Drunky McDrinksalot wrote:JDodge, your last post is bothering me a bit, and I'm not sure why. While it is technically true that if someone hammers at this point in the game it doesn't automatically mean they are the scum, it does just about guaranty that person will be lynched the next day, or at least investigated by the cop (if we have one) in the night. I don't really see the point of this reminder unless it is foreshadowing that you are an impatient player and might be the one to do it later... at which point it will still look scummy.
It's as a warning to say "be careful if that happens, so you don't accidentally hand the game to the scum".

I agree with your other points.
Drunky McDrinksalot
Drunky McDrinksalot
Goon
Drunky McDrinksalot
Goon
Goon

Post Post #21 (ISO) » Wed May 30, 2007 6:00 am

Off The Mark wrote:ojpower is at lynch -2 not lynch -1

The rest of your post I agree with and think it is great analysis/advice

It's tough in these games to separate the newb moves from the scum tells. I am suspicious of both Eagle and ojpower at this point, but need more discussion from them to make a decision. I'll leave my vote where it is for now to see what comes of it.
Sorry, I saw your fos and your vote and didn't register the difference for some reason.
SnowWhite
SnowWhite
Goon
SnowWhite
Goon
Goon

Post Post #22 (ISO) » Wed May 30, 2007 9:18 am

Post by SnowWhite »

I don't think it's so scummy that he put Drunky McDrinksalot at lynch-1, but then he didn't fix it when he found out. I could easily write the first off as just not paying attention.
I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed person.
Drunky McDrinksalot
Drunky McDrinksalot
Goon
Drunky McDrinksalot
Goon
Goon

Post Post #23 (ISO) » Wed May 30, 2007 9:47 am

Putting me at -1 isn't what I thought was scummy.
SnowWhite
SnowWhite
Goon
SnowWhite
Goon
Goon

Post Post #24 (ISO) » Wed May 30, 2007 9:49 am

Post by SnowWhite »

Drunky McDrinksalot wrote:Putting me at -1 isn't what I thought was scummy.
I didn't say it was, that's merely my observation.

Return to “The Road to Rome [Newbie Games]”