Aimee
Mafia Scum
Aimee
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #575 (ISO) » Mon Jul 09, 2007 5:48 am

Post by Aimee »

The Fonz wrote:
CrashTextDummie wrote: 3 goons + 1 SK is pretty standard for a mini, and leaving out a GF was the right choice considering the power-level of the town. However, I find the addition of a survivor/self-reviver rather questionable. When the town is in Lylo after only one mislynch, there's something wrong with the balance. Lynching the SK on D2 was the correct play based on the information we had, and we could have been punished for it.
Three Goons and an SK, plus doc and cop, is slightly town-biased. The risk of crosskills hurts the scum. The survivor is fine, as an unusual alternative to the GF to balance the game back slightly toward the scum. Two non-mafia lynches and no crosskills putting you in LyLo is not particularly unbalanced.
I personally believe it was unbalanced (having five players who weren't on the town's side). It basically only allowed us one mislynch - a pretty weak scenario which we did indeed find ourselves in.
Stewie
Stewie
Mafia Scum
Stewie
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #576 (ISO) » Mon Jul 09, 2007 7:54 am

Post by Stewie »

Aimee wrote:
Stewie wrote:
bobbyplump wrote: Stewie mentioned killing Aimee on Night 2, and me and NN thought Hijalti instead.
I think I did it again night three.
Um, why was I picked? I wouldn't call this one of my crowning achievements, although I was the doc. Was I dangerous?
You were lurking. I figured you had a powerrole and were purposely lurking to not give any tells.
Aimee
Aimee
Mafia Scum
Aimee
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #577 (ISO) » Mon Jul 09, 2007 9:08 am

Post by Aimee »

Stewie wrote:
Aimee wrote:
Stewie wrote:
bobbyplump wrote: Stewie mentioned killing Aimee on Night 2, and me and NN thought Hijalti instead.
I think I did it again night three.
Um, why was I picked? I wouldn't call this one of my crowning achievements, although I was the doc. Was I dangerous?
You were lurking. I figured you had a powerrole and were purposely lurking to not give any tells.
Correct.
Off the Mark
Off the Mark
Mafia Scum
Off the Mark
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #578 (ISO) » Mon Jul 09, 2007 9:12 am

Post by Off the Mark »

What tells could a doc have anyway? I've heard it said docs are supposed to act doc-ish (non-aggressive) but I've never really understood that. Doesn't acting doc-ish make it easy for scum to find docs?
Aimee
Aimee
Mafia Scum
Aimee
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #579 (ISO) » Mon Jul 09, 2007 10:44 am

Post by Aimee »

Cogito Ergo Sum told me that docs are meant to be afraid of being lynched. That is one of their tells, anyway.

I tried to do the opposite of this. Apparently, I was only just successful - the scum wanted to kill me because I was too lurkerish, and considered to have a power-role. In short, my strategy almost backfired.
The Fonz
The Fonz
Jack of All Trades
The Fonz
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #580 (ISO) » Mon Jul 09, 2007 11:02 am

Post by The Fonz »

Aimee wrote:
The Fonz wrote:
CrashTextDummie wrote: 3 goons + 1 SK is pretty standard for a mini, and leaving out a GF was the right choice considering the power-level of the town. However, I find the addition of a survivor/self-reviver rather questionable. When the town is in Lylo after only one mislynch, there's something wrong with the balance. Lynching the SK on D2 was the correct play based on the information we had, and we could have been punished for it.
Three Goons and an SK, plus doc and cop, is slightly town-biased. The risk of crosskills hurts the scum. The survivor is fine, as an unusual alternative to the GF to balance the game back slightly toward the scum. Two non-mafia lynches and no crosskills putting you in LyLo is not particularly unbalanced.
I personally believe it was unbalanced (having five players who weren't on the town's side). It basically only allowed us one mislynch - a pretty weak scenario which we did indeed find ourselves in.
Two of those five bodies count
against
the mafia winning condition. You had two opportunities to nail mafia before you hit LyLo, and that's in the worst case scenario of no crosskills. What you forget in this scenario is a lynch of a neutral or an SK basically
is
a mislynch. Replacing the SK with a townie makes the scum's life
easier
Aimee
Aimee
Mafia Scum
Aimee
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #581 (ISO) » Mon Jul 09, 2007 11:06 am

Post by Aimee »

The Fonz wrote:
Aimee wrote:
The Fonz wrote:
Two of those five bodies count
against
the mafia winning condition. You had two opportunities to nail mafia before you hit LyLo, and that's in the worst case scenario of no crosskills. What you forget in this scenario is a lynch of a neutral or an SK basically
is
easier
No, but theoretically, by Day 3 there could be one person in the town left. In a twelve player game, that is unbalanced.

Panzer knows how much I <3 him though.
The Fonz
The Fonz
Jack of All Trades
The Fonz
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #582 (ISO) » Mon Jul 09, 2007 11:10 am

Post by The Fonz »

And, theoretically, there could be only one mafioso left without the town having lynched correctly at all. That seems unbalanced as well.
Aimee
Aimee
Mafia Scum
Aimee
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #583 (ISO) » Mon Jul 09, 2007 11:31 am

Post by Aimee »

The Fonz wrote:And, theoretically, there could be only one mafioso left without the town having lynched correctly at all. That seems unbalanced as well.
Point taken, I guess. I get confused with game setups sometimes (I am a bit dim, I know). I consider it more balanced with 2 Mafia and an SK.

Am I a true idiot, or a genius?
Off the Mark
Off the Mark
Mafia Scum
Off the Mark
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #584 (ISO) » Mon Jul 09, 2007 3:55 pm

Post by Off the Mark »

I think the balance was fine. Town had worst-case scenario after the first day, which shouldn't happen all that often.

A C9 setup is considered balance, and a mislynch on Day 1 puts you in LYLO on Day 2 in that setup too.
PJ.
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
Hell in a Cell

Post Post #585 (ISO) » Mon Jul 09, 2007 4:10 pm

Post by PJ. »

Balance to me means, that both sides could be put at a disadvantage very easily. Day 1 is the only real day that it is truly balanced, kills unbalance it. Town just played like crap D1, which killed 3 vanillas.
Sometimes a sandwich is just a sandwich.
Off the Mark
Off the Mark
Mafia Scum
Off the Mark
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #586 (ISO) » Mon Jul 09, 2007 4:12 pm

Post by Off the Mark »

The Fonz wrote: Two of those five bodies count
against
is
easier
Fonz, you realize the town was in lylo on Day 2, right? Not just Day 3? They just had 1 chance to nail scum, not 2.

What made you want to read this game, out of curiosity? You weren't trying to research me for our "bland, flavorless game" were you? :wink:
Hjallti
Hjallti
Goon
Hjallti
Goon
Goon
Happy Scumday!

Post Post #587 (ISO) » Mon Jul 09, 2007 7:00 pm

Post by Hjallti »

If I read a game to use meta gaming I wouldn't be that open about it!
[i]"Early experiments in transportation" Gary Larson[/i]

I stopped playing and modding here Friday the 13th, due to real life. finishing the hawks game however.
The Fonz
The Fonz
Jack of All Trades
The Fonz
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #588 (ISO) » Mon Jul 09, 2007 8:43 pm

Post by The Fonz »

Aimee wrote:
The Fonz wrote:And, theoretically, there could be only one mafioso left without the town having lynched correctly at all. That seems unbalanced as well.
Point taken, I guess. I get confused with game setups sometimes (I am a bit dim, I know). I consider it more balanced with 2 Mafia and an SK.

Two mafia and an SK makes it very, very hard for the mafia to win. It seems to me like you're looking at it only thru the prism of 'Oh no, the SK makes the town's life harder!' Trust me, in a game like this, SKs who survive any decent length of time give the scum fits. (I know this from games elsewhere). The SK in a mini isn't an unbalancing factor, but it's a destablising one- the game doesn't start unbalanced, but it can get that way very quickly. Consider the difference between the SK hitting a scummer, and a cop, night one.

Panzerjager wrote:Balance to me means, that both sides could be put at a disadvantage very easily. Day 1 is the only real day that it is truly balanced, kills unbalance it. Town just played like crap D1, which killed 3 vanillas.
What he said, basically.
Aimee
Aimee
Mafia Scum
Aimee
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #589 (ISO) » Mon Jul 09, 2007 11:10 pm

Post by Aimee »

The Fonz wrote:
Aimee wrote:

Two mafia and an SK makes it very, very hard for the mafia to win. It seems to me like you're looking at it only thru the prism of 'Oh no, the SK makes the town's life harder!' Trust me, in a game like this, SKs who survive any decent length of time give the scum fits. (I know this from games elsewhere). The SK in a mini isn't an unbalancing factor, but it's a destablising one- the game doesn't start unbalanced, but it can get that way very quickly. Consider the difference between the SK hitting a scummer, and a cop, night one.
I think this is why I dislike neutrals in mini games.
The Fonz
The Fonz
Jack of All Trades
The Fonz
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #590 (ISO) » Tue Jul 10, 2007 12:23 am

Post by The Fonz »

Off the Mark wrote:
What made you want to read this game, out of curiosity? You weren't trying to research me for our "bland, flavorless game" were you? :wink:
Before I forget- no. Since I didn't read this one till after I died there. I'd just been nightkilled in one game, a couple of others had just gone to night, and others were stalling, so i was bored. Simple as that.
MeMe
MeMe
Post or Perish
MeMe
Post or Perish
Post or Perish

Post Post #591 (ISO) » Sat Jan 26, 2008 6:10 am

Post by MeMe »

last post
Remember...It's not a lie if you believe it. -- G. Costanza

Return to “Completed Mini Normal Games”