Role Claiming

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
Streeflo
Streeflo
Mafia Scum
Streeflo
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Role Claiming

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Wed Apr 04, 2007 3:44 pm

Post by Streeflo »

For which general roles (cop, doctor, mason, tracker, townie) is it generally a good idea to role claim and if so when?
Kelly Chen
Kelly Chen
Open-Minded
Kelly Chen
Open-Minded
Open-Minded

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Wed Apr 04, 2007 3:54 pm

Post by Kelly Chen »

Any of those except townie would be good to claim if the town is about to lynch you. Townie is not a very effective claim.

Roles also might claim when they possess useful information affecting who should or should not be lynched. Even a doctor could fit here, since they could have good reason to believe a certain player is innocent. Mason doesn't really fit here, since ideally your partner (if he's about to be lynched) should be the one claiming, and would not necessarily be expected to reveal his partner.

None of those roles want to claim out of the blue for no reason. That just gives scum free information.

That's a quick answer...
Yosarian2
Yosarian2
(shrug)
Yosarian2
(shrug)
(shrug)

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Thu Apr 05, 2007 1:21 pm

Post by Yosarian2 »

And it's often (but not always) a good idea to "counter-claim" if someone else makes a claim that seems to contradict what you know to be true. For example, someone else claims to be a mason, and you're a mason and they're not in your group; now, there COULD be two different mason groups in a game in theory, but I've never seen that actually done, so the other person is probably lying scum.
I want us to win just for Yos' inevitable rant alone. -CrashTextDummie
Blackberry
Blackberry
berry
Blackberry
berry
berry

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Thu Apr 05, 2007 2:21 pm

Post by Blackberry »

NEVER Role-Claim
, it's stupid and turns the game into "whose the best bull-shitter" instead of "who is the culprit... dun dun dunnn"
Adele
Adele
Big Sister
Adele
Big Sister
Big Sister

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Thu Apr 05, 2007 2:24 pm

Post by Adele »

Yosarian2 wrote: someone else claims to be a mason, and you're a mason and they're not in your group; now, there COULD be two different mason groups in a game in theory, but I've never seen that actually done
Gossip Mafia on GL

mini.
As in, 13 players
2 groups of 2 masons each.

Yeah. The town won, surprisingly ;)
IH
IH
Always Scum
IH
Always Scum
Always Scum

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Thu Apr 05, 2007 3:15 pm

Post by IH »

= | Stupid cop/doc combo
Untrod Tripod (7:27:18 PM): you enjoy whoring
xcaykex (7:27:24 PM): yes
xcaykex (7:27:26 PM): i know that
Kelly Chen
Kelly Chen
Open-Minded
Kelly Chen
Open-Minded
Open-Minded

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Thu Apr 05, 2007 6:32 pm

Post by Kelly Chen »

Blackberry wrote:
NEVER Role-Claim
, it's stupid and turns the game into "whose the best bull-shitter" instead of "who is the culprit... dun dun dunnn"
What if you're an info role? Still never claim?
spectrumvoid
spectrumvoid
Problem Child
spectrumvoid
Problem Child
Problem Child

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Thu Apr 05, 2007 9:58 pm

Post by spectrumvoid »

BB: I know why you're saying the never claim thing (an on-going game), but consider other games you've played?
Blank.
EmpTyger
EmpTyger
It's a JOKE!
EmpTyger
It's a JOKE!
It's a JOKE!

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Fri Apr 06, 2007 1:50 am

Post by EmpTyger »

Streeflo wrote:For which general roles (cop, doctor, mason, tracker, townie) is it generally a good idea to role claim and if so when?
Claimiong should be done when it will do the most good. Since this is situational, there really isn't a good general rule. You have to evaluation each situation.

But an extreme case: if you're in a situation where you're 1 or 2 from lynch and half the town wants to lynch you and a few of those not voting you are threatening to put the finishing votes on you unless you claim- well, then you should probably claim, since there's very little to lose.
Blackberry wrote:
NEVER Role-Claim
:roll: Respect the mod. The mod has included roles in the game. The mod has balanced the game assuming they are to be used. Use them.

LOST Mafia had *3* mason pairs for a large themed setup, although alignment wasn't guaranteed (in fact, strongly suggested otherwise), and it was supported by flavor. No one took the counterclaiming bait.
IH
IH
Always Scum
IH
Always Scum
Always Scum

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Fri Apr 06, 2007 3:45 am

Post by IH »

If you would notice all the games that have been mentioned with extra mason pairs are on GL.

:roll:
Untrod Tripod (7:27:18 PM): you enjoy whoring
xcaykex (7:27:24 PM): yes
xcaykex (7:27:26 PM): i know that
Thesp
Thesp
Supersaint
Thesp
Supersaint
Supersaint

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Fri Apr 06, 2007 4:35 am

Post by Thesp »

Yosarian2 wrote:For example, someone else claims to be a mason, and you're a mason and they're not in your group; now, there COULD be two different mason groups in a game in theory, but I've never seen that actually done, so the other person is probably lying scum.
I ran a large game with 2 mason groups in a mafia game on Misetings I ran. I was counterbalanced by the fact that both 2-person mason groups had a "head", so that if the head was killed, the other mason partner would be, too. (It gave incentive to keep hidden as a mason group.) Also fun in that game: no doctor.

The mafia won, largely because the town didn't pay attention, and had a cop who claimed D1, then claimed he wasn't cop, then did nothing meaningful for the rest of the game.
"When playing a game, the goal is to win, but it is the goal that is important, not the winning." -
Reiner Knizia

Ask me about my automatic votecounter, and how you can use it in
your
game!
Check out my 15 minutes of fame on Wait Wait...Don't Tell Me!
Blackberry
Blackberry
berry
Blackberry
berry
berry

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Fri Apr 06, 2007 5:29 am

Post by Blackberry »

Claiming when you have an INFO role COMPLETELY RUINS THE GAME. If you have an info role you're supposed to LEAD the town into lynching the scum, not blantly saying "THIS PERSON IS SCUM CUZ I HAVE FACTS"... it makes the game 3432423423 times more boring!
Kelly Chen
Kelly Chen
Open-Minded
Kelly Chen
Open-Minded
Open-Minded

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Fri Apr 06, 2007 5:58 am

Post by Kelly Chen »

If it's true that that ruins the game then setup designers need to make sure it isn't the optimal play.

If the mod's setup design skills are poor enough that he hands you an unnightkillable cop role than I guess you may as well claim it... Otherwise you're voluntarily handicapping yourself.
Yosarian2
Yosarian2
(shrug)
Yosarian2
(shrug)
(shrug)

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Fri Apr 06, 2007 6:08 am

Post by Yosarian2 »

Blackberry wrote:
Claiming when you have an INFO role COMPLETELY RUINS THE GAME. If you have an info role you're supposed to LEAD the town into lynching the scum, not blantly saying "THIS PERSON IS SCUM CUZ I HAVE FACTS"... it makes the game 3432423423 times more boring!
Well, it is more fun to lead subtly, which is why I like cop but no doc type games. However, if you're a cop, there are times the correct stratigic move to do is to claim and claim your information, and if you don't do so, you're just hurting the town.
I want us to win just for Yos' inevitable rant alone. -CrashTextDummie
Dr. Blackstrike
Dr. Blackstrike
Goon
Dr. Blackstrike
Goon
Goon

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Fri Apr 06, 2007 12:54 pm

Post by Dr. Blackstrike »

I don't see any reason not to claim roles if need be. Under the right circimstances, it can be very fun.
TBuG
TBuG
they/them
I win
TBuG
they/them
I win
I win
Pronoun: they/them

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Fri Apr 06, 2007 1:08 pm

Post by TBuG »

IH wrote:If you would notice all the games that have been mentioned with extra mason pairs are on GL.

:roll:
No, LOST Mafia was here.
rolandofthewhite (5:40:28 PM): It would be weird living with Thesp. All the hookers murdered and skin lying around. :(

Return to “Mafia Discussion”