MM's Hypothesis

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
yellowbounder
yellowbounder
/cows
yellowbounder
/cows
/cows

Post Post #25 (ISO) » Thu Jul 05, 2007 9:02 am

Post by yellowbounder »

Mafia 66 has 2.290 (3.d.p).

I think that's because of all the players, right? More players -> more posts,

and posts are increased exponentially (or something), rather than views
Max
Max
Mafia Scum
Max
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #26 (ISO) » Sun Feb 15, 2009 1:58 am

Post by Max »

I feel really bad about this necro bump, but I was wondering, do mods feel it is in their interest to keep the game around 1 or do they prefer ratings higher than that?
Xdaamno
Xdaamno
I love you
Xdaamno
I love you
I love you

Post Post #27 (ISO) » Sun Feb 15, 2009 2:23 am

Post by Xdaamno »

mm wrote:An AC of below 1 indicates a below average activity level
An AC of above 1 indicates an above average activity level
An AC of exactly 1 indicates an ideal activity level, also known as activity equilibrium
"This should be an absolute car crash, but let's try it." - CDB
"did you get ces to look disgusted by their offer? i thought that might work" - Patrick
Cracking Idea Mafia
Xtoxm
Xtoxm
EBWOXM
Xtoxm
EBWOXM
EBWOXM

Post Post #28 (ISO) » Sun Feb 15, 2009 3:06 am

Post by Xtoxm »

Given the responses to this thread, I don't think this is a sufficiently accurate measurement (apart the views thing).

And, I disagree with Mith. I think it is possible to apply mathematical formulae to Mafia, just probably good enough ones haven't been used/developed...

However, Family Guy Mafia has Ac of 3.094, which seems pretty accurate. This is including the inflated numbers views for post-game etc, so it would be a little higher. It definately was a very fast paced game, I recall at one point we got like 10 pages up in day, or something like that.

I'll try find a game I felt was slow-paced...

Strawberry I remember was horribly slow paced...Among other things. It has an AC of 0.32. So it does seem accurate for the games I recall as being fastest/slowest respectively.

But I think there have been some examples of this forumla being sub-par.

Edit: Also, if you have the ideal at one (I think it's actually probably higher) then slow-paced games aren't going to appear as slow as the fast paced games...A value of 3 sounds a lot more off than a value of 0.32, when I don't feel that's a good representation.
mith
mith
Godfather
mith
Godfather
Godfather

Post Post #29 (ISO) » Sun Feb 15, 2009 3:48 am

Post by mith »

I'm not sure what you're disagreeing with, exactly. I have probably applied more mathematics to the game than just about anyone; I was arguing here about arbitrary and ill-conceived formulae, especially when someone is suggesting they be used in the game in some way. The number of views depends on so many things (including out-of-game things, such as non-players reading the thread) that, while it is of course *roughly* related to the number of posts and players, using it as a hard rule for deadlines is foolish. (One could easily see it being abused by the scum; if they want a deadline, hide and refresh the thread a lot without posting.)
mith
mith
Godfather
mith
Godfather
Godfather

Post Post #30 (ISO) » Sun Feb 15, 2009 3:57 am

Post by mith »

(I would much rather have mods that were on top of their games and able to identify subjectively when a game is lagging, rather than use a formula, no matter how accurate it is.)
Xtoxm
Xtoxm
EBWOXM
Xtoxm
EBWOXM
EBWOXM

Post Post #31 (ISO) » Sun Feb 15, 2009 4:04 am

Post by Xtoxm »

Perhaps I misinterpreted what you meant.
Smooth as silk when he's scum, and very much capable of running things from behind the scenes while appearing to be doing minimal effort. - Almost50
Xtoxm is consistently great - Shosin
you were the only wolf i townread at endgame - the worst
Elmo
Elmo
Mafia Scum
Elmo
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #32 (ISO) » Sun Feb 15, 2009 7:11 am

Post by Elmo »

I don't really have a lot to say beyond the fact that people reading the game can increase the view count and that I don't understand why you'd want to use this over, you know, reading the game that you're modding.

This just seems a variant of posts per player per unit time. If you were going to do something like this, I would advocate examining only the most recent posts, for example "how many days were the last 50 posts made in"? with some kind of proportionality thrown in. But really, posts per day is a decent metric, but isn't it kind of obvious? I really don't understand where the formula in the OP comes from, or why it's supposed to be good..

edit: Wow, apparently I hadn't refreshed the thread for something like five hours before writing that. Very-slowly-sarnath'd
Succinctness is pro-town.

Passion is inversely proportional to the amount of real information available. ~ Gregory Benford

Return to “Mafia Discussion”