EmpTyger
It's a JOKE!
EmpTyger
It's a JOKE!
It's a JOKE!

Post Post #300 (ISO) » Mon Jan 22, 2007 1:51 pm

Post by EmpTyger »

Epilogue

First of all, I would like to admit that I consider this game a failed experiment. I designed this to explore the convergence of 2 themes: identity and absurdity. Unfortunately, due to a series of events- some within my control, some beyond- the game never really felt like it “caught”. The delay at the beginning, the sitecrashes, the lost posts just when things started to happen, the replacements. The only silver lining was that the concept of absurdity was reinforced.

Moreover, there was a balance problem, which is a lesson for me. No-ability-reveal was intended as purely a handicap for the town; however, it can hurt the mafia just as much. (Knowing that serinah80 was a dead doctor would have changed things considerably, for example.)

For all its faults, I did receive compliments on the flavor, which I too had great fun with. Indeed, I had a wonderful deathscene for ThAdmiral ready to go to end D2, except somehow the town didn’t lynch the claimed SK.

Hamlet was a delicious role- from an evil mod standpoint. The first time I heard about guaranteed cop sanity, it struck me as absurd. The opposite seems perfect flavorwise for Hamlet, especially since it lent that player into second-guessing his own sanity.

R&G being scum was another delicious twist. Would the town think it that simple? To counterbalance- as well as to support the concept of identity- Rosencrantz and Guildenstern were given their additional abilities. The coinflip fit wonderfully- the mafia had an extra ability by not having an extra ability.

The King of Something and the Understudy were for the identity theme, as well as a slight check on Guildenstern’s ability.

Shakespeare was a tricky role, yet potentially powerful, and I was curious how it would be used. Conceptually, it was designed to make the SK a two-person team, of sorts. The “Every player must vote” messages, the “roleclaiming would be bad”, and the occasional modvotes were all caused by this ability.

Originally the Player knew the mechanic associated with their target's death; this was changed in balancing lest the vigilante be too powerful.

As far as individual performances:
I would vote HackerHuck for MVP. The game is lost without him killing mafia N3, and as demonstrated by Mr. Flay, this was hardly an obvious play.
I would award TCS HM, for playing the cop role perfectly.
And a pox on lurkers. :evil: Lying low as a strategy is well and good, but reading yet not replying to a “are you still in the game” PM is just rude.
Jack
Jack
Jack of All Trades
Jack
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #301 (ISO) » Mon Jan 22, 2007 2:00 pm

Post by Jack »

Good game. I greatly enjoyed the day period with the lynching of Bogre and the nightkill of Jules...although they never showed up to defend themselves.

I do think it's unlucky that with all the townies that were killed the vigilante survived to the end. Oh well.
The Central Scrutinizer
The Central Scrutinizer
Mafia Scum
The Central Scrutinizer
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #302 (ISO) » Mon Jan 22, 2007 2:02 pm

Post by The Central Scrutinizer »

Yeah, the mafia deserved to win that one. I definitely thought we should have lynched ThAdmiral, but all's well that ends well.

GG all. I am definitely including some of the elements of this game in a game I mod at some point.
"You might very well think that; I couldn't
possibly
comment."
Maz Medias
Maz Medias
Mafia Scum
Maz Medias
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #303 (ISO) » Mon Jan 22, 2007 2:08 pm

Post by Maz Medias »

I'd like to offer ThAdmiral an honorary place in the town. Sure it's a pointless formality, but he did hold to his word.
The Central Scrutinizer
The Central Scrutinizer
Mafia Scum
The Central Scrutinizer
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #304 (ISO) » Mon Jan 22, 2007 2:13 pm

Post by The Central Scrutinizer »

Yeah, even though our stage direction was poorly written, your performance was appreciated.
"You might very well think that; I couldn't
possibly
comment."
EmpTyger
EmpTyger
It's a JOKE!
EmpTyger
It's a JOKE!
It's a JOKE!

Post Post #305 (ISO) » Mon Jan 22, 2007 2:25 pm

Post by EmpTyger »

Actually- if ThAdmiral played an thematic role in the end. Consider what happens if he’s lynched D2. He doesn’t kill an innocent, Jules is left alive in a 4-person endgame, and mikeburnfire’s lynch is not automatic. So there is an absurdly counterintuitive situation of a protown being lynched D2 so that an antitown could survive to kill a second protown N3- which as a result gave the town an almost certain win!
Jack
Jack
Jack of All Trades
Jack
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #306 (ISO) » Mon Jan 22, 2007 3:13 pm

Post by Jack »

EmpTyger wrote:Actually- if ThAdmiral played an thematic role in the end. Consider what happens if he’s lynched D2. He doesn’t kill an innocent, Jules is left alive in a 4-person endgame, and mikeburnfire’s lynch is not automatic. So there is an absurdly counterintuitive situation of a protown being lynched D2 so that an antitown could survive to kill a second protown N3- which as a result gave the town an almost certain win!
I was initially going to go for a ThAdmiral lynch, until TCS expressed his suspicion of MikeBurn. I thought that the doctor was still alive and TCS unreachable, so the only way we could have won was by killing the doc that night and end up with me, bogre, and HH in the endgame.

I much preferred the odds of getting the town to lynch bogre (easy) and kill one of the other townies. Unfortunatly TCS decided Jules was more suspicious than HackerHuck. I still think this was the best plan based on what we knew.
mikeburnfire
mikeburnfire
Flashy
mikeburnfire
Flashy
Flashy

Post Post #307 (ISO) » Mon Jan 22, 2007 4:19 pm

Post by mikeburnfire »

Unfortunate.
"It is forbidden to kill; therefore all murderers are punished unless they kill with rope and a slim majority."

Flash Guide to Mafia and Flash Mafia Roles
Mr. Flay
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Metatron

Post Post #308 (ISO) » Mon Jan 22, 2007 5:24 pm

Post by Mr. Flay »

Nicely built, EmpTyger. Not an easy setup to manage and the site crashes and replacements made it difficult, but your flavor and overall setup were pretty good. Don't be too hard on yourself. :)
Retired as of October 2014.
HackerHuck
HackerHuck
Mafia Scum
HackerHuck
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #309 (ISO) » Mon Jan 22, 2007 7:39 pm

Post by HackerHuck »

My head was spinning for most of this game just trying to figure things out. It is incredibly interesting to read the details and now my head is just starting to clear.

This is one of those cases where the planets aligned perfectly for the town in the end. The mafia played well too, with some nice distancing between mike and Jack.

Great setup and I'm really glad that I was able to replace in - and finish!
Jules
Jules
Goon
Jules
Goon
Goon

Post Post #310 (ISO) » Tue Jan 23, 2007 3:38 am

Post by Jules »

Sorry for not being about at the end. I'm having pc trouble so couldn't get on but excellent stuff from the town. Thanks for the game EmpTyger too. And again, I must apologise :(
MeMe
MeMe
Post or Perish
MeMe
Post or Perish
Post or Perish

Post Post #311 (ISO) » Mon Jun 11, 2007 2:06 pm

Post by MeMe »

last post
Remember...It's not a lie if you believe it. -- G. Costanza

Return to “Completed Mini Theme Games”