Ethics: Type-2 Metagaming

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
VisMaior
VisMaior
Flip Out!
VisMaior
Flip Out!
Flip Out!

Post Post #75 (ISO) » Wed May 24, 2006 8:28 am

Post by VisMaior »

Fiasco, do understand: while you have no reliable information on the real alignment, any lynch is actually good game. You cannot claim that someone was playing against the win, simply because they had no information a priori. Thus, the problem is a made up one. It never actually arises!
"logic is in the eye of the beholder" -LyingBrian in Eyewitness 1
"correct me if i'm wrong, but isn't the CHANCE of something happening always 50% (either it will or it won't)?" -LyingBrian in BJs Wild West mafia
Fiasco
Fiasco
Goon
Fiasco
Goon
Goon

Post Post #76 (ISO) » Wed May 24, 2006 8:33 am

Post by Fiasco »

Information can come with many different degrees of reliability. Would you really say lynching a liar confirmed by a 99%-reliable cop is good play, just because there's no absolute proof that he isn't scum?

You may be able to argue that situations like that are very rare in practice, but you can't argue it's theoretically impossible.
"I beseech you, in the bowels of Christ, think it possible you may be mistaken." - Oliver Cromwell
VisMaior
VisMaior
Flip Out!
VisMaior
Flip Out!
Flip Out!

Post Post #77 (ISO) » Wed May 24, 2006 10:02 am

Post by VisMaior »

I agree with you that lynching someone against your judgement just to keep consistent with some metagame-rule is bad play. (altough LAL would not fall into this category) But its not unethical.
"logic is in the eye of the beholder" -LyingBrian in Eyewitness 1
"correct me if i'm wrong, but isn't the CHANCE of something happening always 50% (either it will or it won't)?" -LyingBrian in BJs Wild West mafia
Norinel
Norinel
Not Voting (3)
Norinel
Not Voting (3)
Not Voting (3)

Post Post #78 (ISO) » Wed May 24, 2006 12:11 pm

Post by Norinel »

Seol wrote:Furthermore, just talking briefly about tactics:

What good does it do to improve the town's chances of winning future games - games which (if you play in) you stand as good a chance as anyone as being scum in? You're not even increasing
your own EV
over future games by increasing the power of the town. So, you're sacrificing your chances of winning in exchange for something which may help
or may hinder
you in the future.

Mafia is a zero-sum game - every win for one group is a loss for all others, and metagame ploys which increase the strength of the town will be balanced by setups favouring the scum to compensate. The impact of LaL in future games should, ethically speaking, not be a consideration - but tactically speaking, why do you
want
to assist the town in future games?
Well, setups changing in favor of the metagame notwithstanding, you are more likely to be town than scum in any single game, so by increasing the odds of the town winning in general, you're increasing the chances of you winning on average. Granted, not in a way that helps anyone else less than you.

And maybe it's not a matter of winning in the long term, but some more "noble" goal. It could be argued (I'm not sure if I want to do it just yet) that a mafia game where the town plays better is more interesting/fun/exciting to play in
no matter which side you're on
, so helping the town at large makes the game more enjoyable in the long term (For you, at least), if not more winningful. And that's not zero-sum, but is it an ethical goal to pursue?
MrBuddyLee
MrBuddyLee
Slightly better than 50-50
MrBuddyLee

Post Post #79 (ISO) » Thu May 25, 2006 2:12 pm

Post by MrBuddyLee »

Why should scum have a monopoly on artful skullduggery?

If you can fool scum and maintain the trust of your fellow townies, I'd say you deserve praise for your deceptions.
dialing in mildly protown reads since 2006
mathcam
mathcam
Captain Observant
mathcam
Captain Observant
Captain Observant

Post Post #80 (ISO) » Thu May 25, 2006 6:01 pm

Post by mathcam »

Let me preface this by saying I haven't read every post in this thread (but most of them), but I've spent a good amount of time thinking about these issues over the past few years, and wanted to write them down:

I'm a rather firm opponent of the "lynch all liars" policy. There is, of course, a correlation between lying and being scum, and perhaps even a strong one, but the sweeping conclusion of LAL is, I feel, hardly merited. If nothing else, a far saner policy would be "If you're otherwise stuck on who to lynch, lynch someone who's been caught lying." The train of thought I'm most opposed to is the following meta-LAL argument: Townies don't need to lie, therefore lynch all liars, therefore don't lie as a townie. Could there ever be a more devastating blow to the imagination involved in a game of mafia than "You don't
need
to do suchandsuch, so
don't
do suchandsuch?"

I, perhaps rather immodestly, count myself as a player who has done much more good than harm by being willing to lie as a pro-town member. As a weak pro-town role, you can claim a fake stronger role which forces the mafia to make some decisions that might eventually lead them to being outed. As a strong pro-town role, you can claim a weaker role to avoid being targeted (though this obviously gets complicated). There are instances where it's advantageous to act slightly scummy, to fake a posting restriction, etc., all of which are just other forms of lying (or at least deceit). In none of these instances does a townie
need
to lie to be effective, but I'd argue that there exist a variety of plausible instances where a townie would do well to do so. The perpetually-honest townie is the "pusher" in a game of ping-poing between the town and the mafia, perfectly happy to return the ball every time and hope the other side messes up, but reluctant to take a first stab to
induce
the error.

Further, it's not like the mafia
need
to lie all that often either. Only the mafia that allow themselves to be caught up in elaborate schemes of lying and deception (like, unfortunately, myself) need to be worried about keeping their story straight. The issue of being a good fake-claimer aside, once a mafia has been forced into making a claim, it's a simple matter for him/her to write it down an exact role PM describing such a role, and pretending to follow that role to the letter.

Finally, an interesting addenda ties in nicely with another ethics thread: What if I consider my goal not to be to win with the town, but to emerge as a winner no matter what team I end up on? Might it not be to my advantage to occasionally lie to my current team to set up a more likely overall victory for myself? And what if it is, and I confess to such? Would you propose lynching me for following optimal strategy, for putting my goal of winning over my loyalty to the team?

Cam
Mr. Flay
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Metatron

Post Post #81 (ISO) » Sun May 28, 2006 6:32 pm

Post by Mr. Flay »

mathcam FTW. Lynch-all-liars is unnecessarily dogmatic, and allows players to assume that someone who tells the truth is more likely to be pro-town than someone who lies for metagame reasons. I've used this to my advantage on a number of cases, as scum; I lie as little as possible, and yet still am scum. It makes it infinitely easier to keep your lies straight, as my daddy taught me. :twisted:
Retired as of October 2014.
teucer
teucer
Goon
teucer
Goon
Goon

Post Post #82 (ISO) » Mon May 29, 2006 2:40 am

Post by teucer »

MrBuddyLee wrote:Why should scum have a monopoly on artful skullduggery?

If you can fool scum and maintain the trust of your fellow townies, I'd say you deserve praise for your deceptions.
You forget, of course, that LAL can only be applied if the liar is caught. Someone skillful enough at lying that nobody knows they are will never be lynched under LAL. So, despite the phrasing, it's actually "lynch everyone caught in a lie."

Also, remember that you lying doesn't give me any information about your alignment - in fact, it deprives me of some if I trust you - but since most liars are scum, it's in my best interest to vote for you if I know about the lie.

Return to “Mafia Discussion”