Lying about external circumstances

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
Alexander
Alexander
Goon
Alexander
Goon
Goon

Lying about external circumstances

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Mon Dec 19, 2005 8:56 am

Post by Alexander »

A game of mafia is all about lying and ferreting out liars, this much is clear. But, there is one type of lie in the game that I find unappropriate: lying about events and circumstances external to the game. As an example, I'd like to bring the recently completed Newbie 165 game.
On Day 3, in a Lynch-or-Lose situation, one of the players announced, with much bravado that "this is going to end now, one way or the other", because "he's not going to have Internet access for a while". With that, he placed a vote on another player and left.
But, as the game progressed, the third player (now in a kingmaker position) was reluctant to make a choice, and it turned out that the first player did have Internet access after all - he came back to the thread periodically to post and check up on the progress. (btw, this shyftiness eventually got him lynched, but that's beside the point)

Now, maybe it's just me, but I don't appreciate this type of lying.
"I am the cop and last night I investigated xyz"
- this is fine, because it's in-game.
"I placed a third vote on abc because I wanted to force a claim, I didn't realize defghij will rush and lynch him"
- also in-game, perfectly acceptable.

"My mommy is sick and I have no time to post, please don't lynch me"
- should be frowned upon (although, practically speaking, of course cannot be forbidden).

Anyway, that's my opinion, please discuss. What do YOU think - is lying about out-of-game events an acceptable weapon in the arsenal of a mafia player or something less-than-completely-acceptable?
Einsteinmonkey
Einsteinmonkey
Townie
Einsteinmonkey
Townie
Townie

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Mon Dec 19, 2005 9:34 am

Post by Einsteinmonkey »

I was contemplating making this topic a while ago, but I wasn't sure if it was relevant to the game I was playing.

Anyhow, I don't think lying about out-of-game circumstances is really acceptable. The mafia don't lurk the town to death.
Aelyn
Aelyn
Goon
Aelyn
Goon
Goon

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Mon Dec 19, 2005 1:34 pm

Post by Aelyn »

I don't see the point, frankly. It's so much
easier
to run the town by manipulating them than by hoping they don't see you.

Besides, if you have to lie like that, you're taking the game the wrong way. I consider lies acceptable if you can see them making flavour sense (can you imagine a guy saying "I'm ill" with a lynch mob around then coming out of his room every hour, saying "oh yeah, I am still ill. Cough cough. Back to bed now" and getting away with it?
Thesp
Thesp
Supersaint
Thesp
Supersaint
Supersaint

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Mon Dec 19, 2005 7:37 pm

Post by Thesp »

Aelyn wrote:I don't see the point, frankly. It's so much
easier
to run the town by manipulating them than by hoping they don't see you.

Besides, if you have to lie like that, you're taking the game the wrong way. I consider lies acceptable if you can see them making flavour sense (can you imagine a guy saying "I'm ill" with a lynch mob around then coming out of his room every hour, saying "oh yeah, I am still ill. Cough cough. Back to bed now" and getting away with it?
Elect Aelyn for Prez!

This man speaks for me!
"When playing a game, the goal is to win, but it is the goal that is important, not the winning." -
Reiner Knizia

Ask me about my automatic votecounter, and how you can use it in
your
game!
Check out my 15 minutes of fame on Wait Wait...Don't Tell Me!
Thoth
Thoth
Not the spot
Thoth
Not the spot
Not the spot

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Mon Dec 19, 2005 9:11 pm

Post by Thoth »

I have no problems with lying about external circumstances. To me it's just another part of the game (and I've done it in the past).
halo freak
halo freak
Goon
halo freak
Goon
Goon

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Mon Dec 19, 2005 9:26 pm

Post by halo freak »

I hate people lying about external circumstances. It is basically cheating and ruins the game.
Become a replacement for Italian Mafia [b][url=http://www.mafiascum.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2479&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=0&sid=adecd9ea5f99eb6ee344bd18c4bf4de0]HERE[/url][/b]

*smacks Cadmium with stick for fun*
- Phoebus
Talitha
Talitha
Dr. Dead
Talitha
Dr. Dead
Dr. Dead

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Mon Dec 19, 2005 9:44 pm

Post by Talitha »

I'm with Thoth... I fully expect that anything anyone says in the game thread may not in fact be true, and I have no problem with that.

I try not to lie about external stuff but that is a personal choice, and it's mainly so I dont trip myself up when I'm talking to people outside of the game thread. (Eg, it would be awful if I had to pretend to Phoebus on chat that I had the flu because I had said I did in a game we were both in).
Last edited by Talitha on Mon Dec 19, 2005 9:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Cadmium
Cadmium
Twentythreeth
Cadmium
Twentythreeth
Twentythreeth

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Mon Dec 19, 2005 9:51 pm

Post by Cadmium »

I'm with Thoth and Tally.

I don't understand why people would think it's a no-go. I'm sure that if they get the chance, they'll use that same lie to prove that person is scum. That should not be allowed either then. It's both or none.
"OH MY GOD, Cadmium! I can make rye bread! You must be innocent, I'll do whatever you tell me!" exclaims Mackay excitedly. - Jeep, Mini Game 9
Talitha
Talitha
Dr. Dead
Talitha
Dr. Dead
Dr. Dead

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Mon Dec 19, 2005 9:54 pm

Post by Talitha »

Upon pondering it further, I decided I would get annoyed if somebody lied about (for example) their grandmother dying. If the lie is likely to draw excessive sympathy or bring up bad feelings for others, it might not be acceptable....
Cadmium
Cadmium
Twentythreeth
Cadmium
Twentythreeth
Twentythreeth

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Mon Dec 19, 2005 9:57 pm

Post by Cadmium »

Well, it's not like they're going to get away with that more than twice ;).
"OH MY GOD, Cadmium! I can make rye bread! You must be innocent, I'll do whatever you tell me!" exclaims Mackay excitedly. - Jeep, Mini Game 9
Thoth
Thoth
Not the spot
Thoth
Not the spot
Not the spot

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Mon Dec 19, 2005 10:10 pm

Post by Thoth »

Talitha wrote:Upon pondering it further, I decided I would get annoyed if somebody lied about (for example) their grandmother dying. If the lie is likely to draw excessive sympathy or bring up bad feelings for others, it might not be acceptable....
I agree that this would be taking it a bit too far.
Puzzle
Puzzle
Has a Cunning Plan
Puzzle
Has a Cunning Plan
Has a Cunning Plan

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Tue Dec 20, 2005 12:01 am

Post by Puzzle »

How about the mother-in-law ?
For now, I'll ask Thoth to come up with reasons why I should be voting for him, and I'd like him to respond to those.
Commodore Amazing
Phoebus
Phoebus
Hall Monitor
Phoebus
Hall Monitor
Hall Monitor

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Tue Dec 20, 2005 1:14 am

Post by Phoebus »

If your mother-in-law dies one two often, you're taking the lone wolf role far beyond the call of duty. ;)
Your happiness is intertwined with your outlook on life.
Mr. Flay
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Metatron

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Tue Dec 20, 2005 3:03 am

Post by Mr. Flay »

I think it's ill-advised unless that's the only thread you're posting in (see Talitha's comment about getting tripped up elsewhere by it), but there's no reason/way to "ban" it. Much like the Personal Attacks thread, anything (within reason) that we do to artificially limit the possible responses cheapens the game.

I'm always invisible on the forum, whether I'm scum or town at the time, because I prefer to keep RL separate from my games. But that's just me (and also, I come to browse ALL the time, and only post sometimes).
Retired as of October 2014.
VisMaior
VisMaior
Flip Out!
VisMaior
Flip Out!
Flip Out!

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Tue Dec 20, 2005 3:09 am

Post by VisMaior »

I always disclose external reasons from my reasoning, so it does not influence my choice. Ergo, I dont really care if the person is lying.
"logic is in the eye of the beholder" -LyingBrian in Eyewitness 1
"correct me if i'm wrong, but isn't the CHANCE of something happening always 50% (either it will or it won't)?" -LyingBrian in BJs Wild West mafia
Puzzle
Puzzle
Has a Cunning Plan
Puzzle
Has a Cunning Plan
Has a Cunning Plan

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Tue Dec 20, 2005 4:25 am

Post by Puzzle »

I think all lies should be allowed. Anyway, nobody has ever hesitated to lynch me when I was saying it would make me cry, so such tactics don't work with you, band of heartless Puzzle-lynchers.
*Goes off crying in foetal position, sucking his thumb in the dark recess of a humid cave*
For now, I'll ask Thoth to come up with reasons why I should be voting for him, and I'd like him to respond to those.
Commodore Amazing
Mr Stoofer
Mr Stoofer
Less than scum
Mr Stoofer
Less than scum
Less than scum

Post Post #16 (ISO) » Tue Dec 20, 2005 4:40 am

Post by Mr Stoofer »

I think all "external" lies should be banned, and this rule should be enforced by a team (lead by MeMe, of course) who would go to people's houses to check whether they really are sick/having connection problems/called away on business/had arm eaten by Ebola virus.
Seol
Seol
Logical Rampage
Seol
Logical Rampage
Logical Rampage

Post Post #17 (ISO) » Tue Dec 20, 2005 4:41 am

Post by Seol »

As far as I'm concerned, anything that doesn't break the rules is fair game to say in a game. Lying, obviously, isn't against those rules. Whilst it's arguable that lying about personal circumstances makes you a jerk, more importantly, it's a difficult lie to maintain. Certainly you won't get away with it more than once or twice. I wouldn't do it, simply because I have two siblings on the site and use the same identity on other sites I'm reasonably active on, so it's easy to catch me in a lie.

I have on more than one occasion checked other people's posting records not only on Scum but also other sites to try and find evidence they're lurking as opposed to simply not there. This is not a gentlemanly sport, and any tactic you can use to improve your game is legitimate - whilst as Aelyn said, participation is usually more effective, there's a time and place for everything.

Everything is a tactic - for example, I'm only ever nice to people because it predisposes them to like me, and therefore want to think me innocent, not because I'm actually nice - and all's fair in love and war - but, equally, everything has its consequences. This applies to all walks of life, not just Mafia.
[i]The hungry maw of Twilight snaps, but shall not have its fill,
Until one man hangs by his neck, by half this curs'd town's will[/i]
Seol
Seol
Logical Rampage
Seol
Logical Rampage
Logical Rampage

Post Post #18 (ISO) » Tue Dec 20, 2005 4:44 am

Post by Seol »

Mr Stoofer wrote:I think all "external" lies should be banned, and this rule should be enforced by a team (lead by MeMe, of course) who would go to people's houses to check whether they really are sick/having connection problems/called away on business/had arm eaten by Ebola virus.
Meme, I think you ought to know I have contracted Ebola and will be unable to post for approximately until I've won all my games through lurking. Now I'm off to post in other threads.

I'll have the Scrabble board and the cheese and wine set up ready for your arrival. 8)
Alexander
Alexander
Goon
Alexander
Goon
Goon

Post Post #19 (ISO) » Tue Dec 20, 2005 4:47 am

Post by Alexander »

Thanks for your responses, people!

After carefully going through your feedback, I decided to change my mind. I now consider out-of-game-lying a legitimate weapon in the arsenal of the mafia scum... all is fair in love and war, and remember, it's only cheating if you get caught!
Seol
Seol
Logical Rampage
Seol
Logical Rampage
Logical Rampage

Post Post #20 (ISO) » Tue Dec 20, 2005 4:51 am

Post by Seol »

Alexander wrote:Thanks for your responses, people!

After carefully going through your feedback, I decided to change my mind. I now consider out-of-game-lying a legitimate weapon in the arsenal of the mafia scum... all is fair in love and war, and remember, it's only cheating if you get caught!
Also remember these lessons can be applied to real life too!
Commodore Amazing
Commodore Amazing
Out-booyahed
Commodore Amazing
Out-booyahed
Out-booyahed

Post Post #21 (ISO) » Tue Dec 20, 2005 4:54 am

Post by Commodore Amazing »

If someone says, "hey, i gotta stop posting my computer exploded, ill
vote: Alexander
and hope we win. gl town," shouldn't the town be able to request a replacement? Then the mod would have to either confirm that the person is a liar, or the person would have to bow out of the game and hopethat the replacement could argue his way out of it?
Mr Stoofer
Mr Stoofer
Less than scum
Mr Stoofer
Less than scum
Less than scum

Post Post #22 (ISO) » Tue Dec 20, 2005 5:00 am

Post by Mr Stoofer »

Seol wrote:lying about personal circumstances makes you a jerk
QFT
Seol
Seol
Logical Rampage
Seol
Logical Rampage
Logical Rampage

Post Post #23 (ISO) » Tue Dec 20, 2005 5:03 am

Post by Seol »

Mr Stoofer wrote:
Seol wrote:lying about personal circumstances makes you a jerk
QFT
I'd like to discuss this further with you, Stoof, but my grandma just died. :(
Cadmium
Cadmium
Twentythreeth
Cadmium
Twentythreeth
Twentythreeth

Post Post #24 (ISO) » Tue Dec 20, 2005 5:07 am

Post by Cadmium »

You only got one of these left now, Seol. I'm watching you ;).

Return to “Mafia Discussion”