Micro 161: No-Newbie Newbie (over)

Micro Games (9 players or fewer). Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
N
N
Jack of All Trades
N
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Micro 161: No-Newbie Newbie (over)

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:21 pm

Post by N »

Micro 161: No-Newbie Newbie

Player list

RedCoyote
² (hydra of buldermar and fferyllt)
A_Stone
thenewearth**
Mac
(replaced syndromeofatown*)

Mr E Roll
goodmorning
RachMarie***
GuyInFreezer
(replaced EspeciallyTheLies**, who replaced Rondar*)

Spoiler: Alive
RedCoyote,
Mafia Rolecop
, winner!
²,
Vanilla Townie
, endgamed
Mr E Roll,
Mafia Goon
, winner!
GuyInFreezer,
Town Jailkeeper
, endgamed

Spoiler: Dead
thenewearth,
Town Doctor
, lynched day 1
RachMarie,
Vanilla Townie
, killed night 1
A_Stone,
Vanilla Townie
, lynched day 2
Mac,
Vanilla Townie
, killed night 2
goodmorning,
Vanilla Townie
, lynched day 3

Important Events

Day 1 start
EspeciallyTheLies replaces Rondar
Mac replaces syndromeofatown
End of day 1

Day 2 start
GuyInFreezer replaces EspeciallyTheLies
End of day 2

Day 3 start
End of day 3
Last edited by N on Wed May 29, 2013 8:29 pm, edited 18 times in total.
GTKAS

Share And Enjoy
(go stick your head in a pig)
N
N
Jack of All Trades
N
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:22 pm

Post by N »

1. General Rules

2. As always, the Forum Rules and Guidelines apply. I’m going to assume you’ve read these, so I’m not going to repeat them.
    • (If you’re unsure whether something you’re going to do is breaking these rules, ask me beforehand.)
  3. Don’t make any posts that may even remotely look like mod communication. If I edit a post, I’ll sign it.
  4. The only places outside of this thread you are permitted to talk about this game are in mod-provided quicktopics.
  5. If you’re unsure whether something you post could count against the “playing to your wincon” rule, think about how you would perceive it if someone else made the same post.
  6. Personal remarks and insults are not welcome at all. There is no problem with criticising how others play
    in this game
    , but as soon it goes beyond that line there will be one warning before I start force-replacing.
  7. If someone is modkilled, their alignment will change to “neutral survivor” and there will be no chance of them winning the game, even if their original faction does so.
  8. I reserve the right to change rules at any time, including while the game is ongoing, although there will be warning in-thread if this happens.

Activity Rules

9. If a player does not post in the game thread for over 48 hours, they will be prodded. After this prod, they are given a 24 hour grace period to make a post – otherwise I will start searching for a replacement.
  10. I will keep track of the number of prods given to each player. If a player has received three or more prods, I reserve the right to search for their replacement if their activity does not pick up.
  11. Please post V/LA notices in-thread at least 24 hours in advance of them starting.
  12. Day 1 will last a maximum of 3 weeks; all other days will last a maximum of 2 weeks. If a lynch is not reached by this deadline, there will be no lynch.
    • An exception to this is if a replacement is needed within the last 48 hours of a game day.
  13. Night 1 will last 72 hours; all other nights will last 48 hours. If you don’t submit an action by this deadline, you will not do anything that night.
    • Again, an exception to this is if a replacement is needed – in which case, night will last an additional 24 hours from when the replacement is announced.

Voting Rules

14. When making votes, please use the vote or bold tags. For a vote (or unvote) to be counted, it must be at the start of a new line.
  15. Unvoting before voting again is not compulsory.
  16. If one player receives a majority (at least 51%) of votes, they are that day’s lynch and any further voting/unvoting will be futile.
    • (Players - including the lynchee - may still comment after majority has been reached and until the mod locks the thread.)
  17. Dead players may make one “bah” post after their death. This may not contain any game relevant information. Once the mod has declared the game over, anybody may start talking in thread again.

Setup Rules

18. This game has a day start.
  19. As this is an open setup, all possible roles PMs are posted below.
  20. There are 7 town players and 2 mafia.
  21. Mafia will have 1 Goon, and 1 Rolecop.
  22. Town will have one of the following:
    1. 5 Vanilla Townies, 1 Sane Cop, and 1 Doctor.
    2. 5 Vanilla Townies, 1 Sane Cop, and 1 Jailkeeper.
    3. 5 Vanilla Townies, 1 Doctor, and 1 Jailkeeper.
    4. 6 Vanilla Townies, and 1 Sane Cop.
    5. 6 Vanilla Townies, and 1 Jailkeeper.
    6. 6 Vanilla Townies, and 1 Doctor.
  23. For a more detailed version of the setup, look at 2of4 on the wiki.
Last edited by N on Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GTKAS

Share And Enjoy
N
N
Jack of All Trades
N
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:25 pm

Post by N »

Sample Role PMs

Mafia GoonWelcome, (name)!

You are the
Mafia Goon
. With your partner – (name), the Mafia Rolecop – you must try to eliminate all of the town. The town does not know who you are, so try to blend in during the day.

At night (and during pre-game), you are your partner may communicate at this quicktopic. The two of you can kill one person per night – tell me (via PM or in the QT) who will be killed and who is performing the kill.

Please confirm by replying with your role and alignment. You win the game if the number of Mafia outnumber or equal the number of town (or nothing can prevent that happening).

Note: if you or your kill-target are targeted by the Jailkeeper, the kill will not go through, nor will it if your target is protected by the Doctor.

Mafia RolecopWelcome, (name)!

You are the
Mafia Rolecop
. With your partner – (name), the Mafia Goon – you must try to eliminate all of the town. The town does not know who you are, so try and blend in during the day.

At night (and during pre-game), you and your partner may communicate at this quicktopic. The two of you can kill one person per night night – tell me (via PM or in the QT) who will be killed and who is performing the kill.
Each night, you can also choose to investigate one person. At the start of the next day, you will receive a result telling you your target’s role within this game.

Please confirm by replying with your role and alignment. You win the game if the number of Mafia outnumber or equal the number of town (or nothing can prevent that happening).

Note: if you or your kill-target are targeted by the Jailkeeper, the kill will not go through, nor will it if your target is protected by the Doctor.
You will also not receive any results from an investigation if you are targeted by the Jailkeeper

Town DoctorWelcome, (name)!

You are the
Town Doctor
. During the day, you are no different than anybody else.

But during each night, you can protect one other player (you cannot protect yourself). If that player is targeted for a kill that night, they will not die. Please PM me your selection each night.

Please confirm by replying with your role and alignment. You win if the Mafia are eliminated and at least one town is still alive.

Note: if you are targeted by the Jailkeeper, you will be blocked from protecting.

Town CopWelcome, (name)!

You are the
Town Cop
. During the day, you are no different than anybody else.

But during each night, you can investigate one other player. Please PM me your selection each night. At the start of the next day, you will receive a result telling you whether your target was “town aligned” or “non-town aligned”, which is guaranteed to be accurate.

Please confirm by replying with your role and alignment. You win if the Mafia are eliminated and at least one town is still alive.

Note: if you are targeted by the Jailkeeper, you will not receive a result from your investigation.

Town JailkeeperWelcome, (name)!

You are the . During the day you are no different than anybody else.

But during each night, you can target one other player. This player will be stopped from performing any actions, and will also be protected from being killed. You are unable to target yourself.

Vanilla TownieWelcome, (name)!

You are a . You do not have any special powers at night. During the day, however, you’re just like anybody else!

Last edited by N on Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GTKAS

Share And Enjoy
N
N
Jack of All Trades
N
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:43 pm

Post by N »

I fucked something up. Roles are being re-randomised.
GTKAS

Share And Enjoy
N
N
Jack of All Trades
N
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:09 pm

Post by N »

Hopefully they're all right this time. Once enough people confirm, the game will start. If someone doesn't confirm in (expired on 2013-04-25 00:08:42), they will be replaced.
GTKAS

Share And Enjoy
N
N
Jack of All Trades
N
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:34 pm

Post by N »

Vote Count 1.00
RedCoyote
( 0 )
²
( 0 )
A_Stone
( 0 )
thenewearth
( 0 )
syndromeofatown
( 0 )
Mr E Roll
( 0 )
goodmorning
( 0 )
RachMarie
( 0 )
Rondar
( 0 )

Not voting:
RedCoyote , ² , A_Stone , thenewearth , syndromeofatown , Mr E Roll , goodmorning , RachMarie , Rondar

With 9 alive, it takes 5 to lynch.

Deadline is in
(expired on 2013-05-14 21:34:45)
GTKAS

Share And Enjoy
²
²
Mafia Scum
²
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:48 pm

Post by ² »

Hi guys

- f
Mr E Roll
Mr E Roll
Goon
Mr E Roll
Goon
Goon

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:54 pm

Post by Mr E Roll »

Our town has a illness an unhealthy presence of scum.

It will only be restored to health once we eradicate the…

VOTE: syndromeofatown
syndromeofatown
syndromeofatown
Goon
syndromeofatown
Goon
Goon

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:52 pm

Post by syndromeofatown »

VOTE: RedCoyote

only other player I've played with before I think.
goodmorning
goodmorning
Any
Survivor
goodmorning
Any
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: Any

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:58 pm

Post by goodmorning »

Vote: 2

for uselessly complex hydra name which I will not be superscripting ever

Hello other people I know, this playerlist is quite strange.

V/LA for the next 46-ish hours.
²
²
Mafia Scum
²
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:07 pm

Post by ² »

haterz
thenewearth
thenewearth
Mafia Scum
thenewearth
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:52 pm

Post by thenewearth »

VOTE: A_stone

Because of N :wink: (No offense bro)
A_Stone
A_Stone
Goon
A_Stone
Goon
Goon

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:13 pm

Post by A_Stone »

VOTE: 2

Their posts seem to be a bit... spaced out
In this town, we don't lynch bad guys, we just make them feel really really bad about themselves and give them free access to pills. ~ Detroit 9000/Cub Daigoro
Mr E Roll
Mr E Roll
Goon
Mr E Roll
Goon
Goon

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:58 am

Post by Mr E Roll »

In post 12, A_Stone wrote:VOTE: 2

Is this a random vote or a policy vote?

2 are both heads in agreement with not casting a random vote? Do you not think random voting has any value?
²
²
Mafia Scum
²
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:16 am

Post by ² »

Neither of us do RVS. I personally wouldn't say that it has no value at all. It's just not my thing. Buldermar may have more rigorous reasons for eschewing it.

- f
²
²
Mafia Scum
²
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:52 am

Post by ² »

In post 14, ² wrote:Neither of us do RVS. I personally wouldn't say that it has no value at all. It's just not my thing. Buldermar may have more rigorous reasons for eschewing it.

- f
Indeed, I personally would say that it has no value at all.

- b
Mr E Roll
Mr E Roll
Goon
Mr E Roll
Goon
Goon

Post Post #16 (ISO) » Wed Apr 24, 2013 4:49 am

Post by Mr E Roll »

I think RVS has value, first as it acts as an icebreaker and helps get conversation moving; although this can also be accomplished by not RV’ing as it is almost always commented on. However, I think it has even more value later as it helps establish connections between players. I don’t think I’ve ever seen scum RV their partner so it may be useful after scum flips.
²
²
Mafia Scum
²
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #17 (ISO) » Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:07 am

Post by ² »

In post 16, Mr E Roll wrote:I think RVS has value, first as it acts as an icebreaker and helps get conversation moving; although this can also be accomplished by not RV’ing as it is almost always commented on. However, I think it has even more value later as it helps establish connections between players. I don’t think I’ve ever seen scum RV their partner so it may be useful after scum flips.
We're not talking about the same thing, it seems. I'm talking about RV's, an abbreviation of random votes, which by definition cannot help establish any connections (or they wouldn't be random).

I've yet to see a conversation that couldn't have been instigated without random votes prior to it. For instance, in this very game, the first debate is the one we're having now and that started with a question, not with a random vote. I don't see how there was any ice to break, nor do I see how any amount of random votes supposedly could have broken such ice.

- b
²
²
Mafia Scum
²
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #18 (ISO) » Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:58 am

Post by ² »

IME someone not doing RVS is one of the fastest ways to move the game out of RVS and into discussions where taking a stand is easy for town players.

- f
Mr E Roll
Mr E Roll
Goon
Mr E Roll
Goon
Goon

Post Post #19 (ISO) » Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:36 am

Post by Mr E Roll »

What is generally called RV’ing is a misnomer its really more voting for BS reasons. Very few people actually use a RNG to determine their vote and of those that claim that they do I wouldn’t be surprised if some of them are lying about it. Therefore I still think RVS’ing helps create connections and is a pro-town action.

If everybody entered the games with a simple “hi” like you did and that was the accepted site meta how would that lead to questions and help move us out of RVS?
RedCoyote
RedCoyote
Jack of All Trades
RedCoyote
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #20 (ISO) » Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:53 am

Post by RedCoyote »

hi

- RC
²
²
Mafia Scum
²
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #21 (ISO) » Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:02 am

Post by ² »

In post 19, Mr E Roll wrote:What is generally called RV’ing is a misnomer its really more voting for BS reasons. Very few people actually use a RNG to determine their vote and of those that claim that they do I wouldn’t be surprised if some of them are lying about it. Therefore I still think RVS’ing helps create connections and is a pro-town action.

If everybody entered the games with a simple “hi” like you did and that was the accepted site meta how would that lead to questions and help move us out of RVS?
I've been playing forum mafia elsewhere for years. RVS doesn't exist on those sites. People start the game with discussion of the flavor, they fuss at chronic lurkers and shit posters, policy vote, etc. Something strikes an off note, and we're off. Every game has a more or less unique start. It's interesting. You're not looking for some slight variation on a theme to unravel.

RVS kind of cheapens the early votes. Nobody has to ask "why?" when they are voted or otherwise flinch at the attention a vote brings because it's just RVS. The only slight utility I see to it is that in a game where most of the players don't know each other or know how to get things started, there's a starting place. Problem is, it's a somewhat safe starting place for scum.

- f
²
²
Mafia Scum
²
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #22 (ISO) » Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:26 am

Post by ² »

In post 20, RedCoyote wrote:hi

- RC
both enigmatic and ironic. I like your style.

- f
A_Stone
A_Stone
Goon
A_Stone
Goon
Goon

Post Post #23 (ISO) » Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:26 am

Post by A_Stone »

In post 13, Mr E Roll wrote:
In post 12, A_Stone wrote:VOTE: 2

Is this a random vote or a policy vote?

2 are both heads in agreement with not casting a random vote? Do you not think random voting has any value?
Random vote based on their avatar.
In this town, we don't lynch bad guys, we just make them feel really really bad about themselves and give them free access to pills. ~ Detroit 9000/Cub Daigoro
A_Stone
A_Stone
Goon
A_Stone
Goon
Goon

Post Post #24 (ISO) » Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:29 am

Post by A_Stone »

In post 21, ² wrote:
In post 19, Mr E Roll wrote:What is generally called RV’ing is a misnomer its really more voting for BS reasons. Very few people actually use a RNG to determine their vote and of those that claim that they do I wouldn’t be surprised if some of them are lying about it. Therefore I still think RVS’ing helps create connections and is a pro-town action.

I've been playing forum mafia elsewhere for years. RVS doesn't exist on those sites. People start the game with discussion of the flavor, they fuss at chronic lurkers and shit posters, policy vote, etc. Something strikes an off note, and we're off. Every game has a more or less unique start. It's interesting. You're not looking for some slight variation on a theme to unravel.

RVS kind of cheapens the early votes. Nobody has to ask "why?" when they are voted or otherwise flinch at the attention a vote brings because it's just RVS. The only slight utility I see to it is that in a game where most of the players don't know each other or know how to get things started, there's a starting place. Problem is, it's a somewhat safe starting place for scum.

- f
I kind of have to disagree with that last part, at some points scum don't want to be the first voting/hold the hammer, so if they enter with "hi" then throw down a random vote later and they're *not* new, then it can arouse suspicion.

Return to “Mayfair Club [Micro Games]”