Roleblocked Mason?

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
Crola
Crola
Mafia Scum
Crola
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Roleblocked Mason?

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Mon Nov 28, 2005 10:27 am

Post by Crola »

Just wondering, if a mason is role blocked, is he/she not allowed to speak with his/her partners? Most people don't follow this rule, I've never been confronted with the situation. I know that when mafia is blocked they can still talk but they can't kill (assuming the killing scum was blcoked.) So I was just curious because the rules do specifically state that role blockers block roles, and if talking at night is your role then technically it should be blocked.

I personally don't care what people do, everyone's gonna do what they want anyway, but I would like to know other people's viewpoint on this topic.

Is it fair to not block masons of any kind?
Kun Lan:"Oops, I guess my trick didn't work on you."
Harman:"Tricks are for kids, Kun. I'm an old man."
~ Killer7
Commodore Amazing
Commodore Amazing
Out-booyahed
Commodore Amazing
Out-booyahed
Out-booyahed

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Mon Nov 28, 2005 11:00 am

Post by Commodore Amazing »

I wouldn't really count masons talking as a night action. If you want to be really clear, you could tell your roleblocker he only stops people from making "night choices."

Hey, if a role copier copies a mason, does that mean he gets to talk with them? I would say "no," but I could see it either way.
inHimshallibe
inHimshallibe
SmartyPants
inHimshallibe
SmartyPants
SmartyPants

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Mon Nov 28, 2005 11:22 am

Post by inHimshallibe »

Commodore Amazing wrote:Hey, if a role copier copies a mason, does that mean he gets to talk with them? I would say "no," but I could see it either way.
I'd say the copier should only be given permission to communicate with the partner, not the person he copied. Although, the partner could still relay things along, so I guess there's really not much difference.
Yosarian2
Yosarian2
(shrug)
Yosarian2
(shrug)
(shrug)

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Mon Nov 28, 2005 11:29 am

Post by Yosarian2 »

I don't think role-blocking masons would work, from a technical standpoint.

The problem is, is that as soon as the mod says "It is night", the masons can start talking. The mod probably won't even GET the "roleblock person X" order for several hours after that, at the very least. So how would you design it so that you could stop masons from talking?
I want us to win just for Yos' inevitable rant alone. -CrashTextDummie
Iammars
Iammars
Mers I am not
Iammars
Mers I am not
Mers I am not

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Mon Nov 28, 2005 11:34 am

Post by Iammars »

Have the roleblocker choose during the day...
"Rolefishing is fishing for someones role. It's called fishing because it requires subtlety. When you grab a shotgun and start firing into the water, thats not fishing." - IH
Mr. Flay
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Metatron

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Mon Nov 28, 2005 12:14 pm

Post by Mr. Flay »

Roleblocker choosing by twilight is actually not a bad idea... although that worked with only middling success for the lynchblocker Magistrate in Mafia 37 (Werewolves).
Retired as of October 2014.
PolarBoy
PolarBoy
Sir Not-Appearing-In-This-Mafia
PolarBoy

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Mon Nov 28, 2005 5:16 pm

Post by PolarBoy »

If you had more controlled masons the logistics would be fairly simple. For instance, we could say that they each send each other one note that night, and the note has to be sent to the mod.
MUNSCM Delegate for the United Kingdom
Check out the [url=http://www.mafiascum.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?HomePage]ScumWiki[/url], and while you're at it, check out [url=http://www.mafiascum.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?DocumentModeMafia]DocumentModeMafia[/url]
Mr Stoofer
Mr Stoofer
Less than scum
Mr Stoofer
Less than scum
Less than scum

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Mon Nov 28, 2005 10:44 pm

Post by Mr Stoofer »

This happened to me Night 1 of the first game I ever modded. Since the masons had been talking for some time already, I thought there was no point in ordering the conversation to cease.
Mr. Flay
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Metatron

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Tue Nov 29, 2005 3:29 am

Post by Mr. Flay »

Oh! I forgot that one of the mechanisms of Dodecamafia was that if one of the masons rolled a 1, they were unable to send PMs that night (they could still receive). I believe it happened once, but the masons were having trouble getting PMs to each other reliably already at that point... anyway, dice were rolled at the end of Day.
Retired as of October 2014.
Crola
Crola
Mafia Scum
Crola
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Tue Nov 29, 2005 9:59 am

Post by Crola »

Commodore Amazing wrote:I wouldn't really count masons talking as a night action. If you want to be really clear, you could tell your roleblocker he only stops people from making "night choices."

Hey, if a role copier copies a mason, does that mean he gets to talk with them? I would say "no," but I could see it either way.
If thre was a rolecopier and they copied the mason, wouldn't the REAL mason realize that there was something wrog considering a new person just joined their chat?

From what everyone's saying, it would seem illogical to have roleblockers block masons, however, they become exactly what CA said, NightChoice blockers.

Let's break down the technicalities:
Roleblocker: by definition blocks your
role
, whether it be night or day.

Night Choice Blocker: what we currently call roleblockers.

Morning Role Blocker: never seen one of these before since morning roles are so unusual.

So, would a roleblocker's (see above def) blocking ability start in the day and end by the next morning (one full day and night)? or would it start at night and end in twilight?

Should we begin to call them Night CHoice Blockers from now on to avoid confusion? Or are we all too lazy to do anyhting about the misnomer?
Kun Lan:"Oops, I guess my trick didn't work on you."
Harman:"Tricks are for kids, Kun. I'm an old man."
~ Killer7
VisMaior
VisMaior
Flip Out!
VisMaior
Flip Out!
Flip Out!

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Tue Nov 29, 2005 12:00 pm

Post by VisMaior »

We are too lazy. Roleblocker=night choice negator.
"logic is in the eye of the beholder" -LyingBrian in Eyewitness 1
"correct me if i'm wrong, but isn't the CHANCE of something happening always 50% (either it will or it won't)?" -LyingBrian in BJs Wild West mafia

Return to “Mafia Discussion”