Deadline Lynching?

This forum is for discussion related to the game.

How many votes should be required for a lynch at deadline?

Poll ended at Tue Aug 02, 2005 6:10 am

A regular majority
29%
Half of a regular majority
71%

Total votes: 17

Mr Stoofer
Mr Stoofer
Less than scum
Mr Stoofer
Less than scum
Less than scum

Deadline Lynching?

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Wed Jul 13, 2005 6:10 am

Post by Mr Stoofer »

Some mods have a rule that no majority at a deadline = no lynch.

Other mods have a rule that at deadline half a regular majority will be enough for a lynch.

I'm about to start modding my first game. Which rule should I adopt and why?
Seol
Seol
Logical Rampage
Seol
Logical Rampage
Logical Rampage

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Wed Jul 13, 2005 7:22 am

Post by Seol »

Full majority. If the town can't come to a conclusion in a sensible amount of time, then the deadline should serve to punish them for their laziness. Why should different rules apply just because you're
not
getting anywhere?

OR:

Half majority. If the game's taking this long already, the last thing you want to do is slow it down and risk turning the players off the game even more. Requiring a full majority also makes it easier for the scum to stall to a no-lynch.

Which argument do you personally sympathise with better?
[i]The hungry maw of Twilight snaps, but shall not have its fill,
Until one man hangs by his neck, by half this curs'd town's will[/i]
Dragon Phoenix
Dragon Phoenix
Don't shoot the mod
Dragon Phoenix
Don't shoot the mod
Don't shoot the mod

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Wed Jul 13, 2005 8:00 am

Post by Dragon Phoenix »

[06] Lynching will be carried out once a regular majority is reached - and cannot be undone by unvoting. If I impose a day deadline, lynching will require at least half of the regular majority. In case of a tie, first come first served. In the endgame (six players or less) only lynches with a regular majority will occur. Votes for no lynch will be accepted.

That's my approach. I do not like the no-lynch approach, cerrtainly in large games.
Chief O'Hara
Chief O'Hara
Townie
Chief O'Hara
Townie
Townie

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Wed Jul 13, 2005 9:04 am

Post by Chief O'Hara »

Half a majority should be enough. At least you reward the people who commit to a vote and when someone suddenly comes under threat of a deadline lynch, games often spike with activity.
Barbarian: Don't trust anyone, you are sure to be wrong sometime
Mgm: Nothing is what it looks like unless the mod says or they're dead (and even then)
jeep
jeep
Cappo Bastone
jeep
Cappo Bastone
Cappo Bastone

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Wed Jul 13, 2005 10:45 am

Post by jeep »

I've been in too many games with no lynch if no majority... I didn't like it when I was scum and I didn't like it when I was townie... so I adopted the DP deadline rule.

-JEEP
jeep
jeep
Cappo Bastone
jeep
Cappo Bastone
Cappo Bastone

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Wed Jul 13, 2005 10:46 am

Post by jeep »

err... not that I've every been scum...

-JEEP
Mr. Flay
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Metatron

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Wed Jul 13, 2005 10:53 am

Post by Mr. Flay »

I'm liking Dragon Slayer's (or is it Polotet's?) half-the-cast-votes plurality voting for deadlines. Avoids punishing active players for people who have completely flaked out of the game, but maintains a little bit of the initial requirement for consensus.

I think the best way to explain it is this: Say there's 19 players alive. 10 would be required for a normal lynch. If a deadline is put in place, then at deadline someone will be lynched if they have half the normal required votes (5, in this case) *AND* at least half of the votes that have been cast, total. So if 15 of your players vote, but the leading candidate only gets 7 of them and the other 8 are spread out amongst the crowd, No Lynch. 7 or more on one person? Lynched. 8 votes total, and only 4 are for one person? No Lynch. Make sense?

Of course, with my scum-are-the-town games (like Res. Dogs), I'm using no-majority=no-lynch for thematic reasons. :twisted:
Retired as of October 2014.
MeMe
MeMe
Post or Perish
MeMe
Post or Perish
Post or Perish

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Wed Jul 13, 2005 10:55 am

Post by MeMe »

A deadline placed usually means there's been a lack of activity, so demanding a full majority at deadline means that non-actives can, essentially, dictate a no-lynch or force those who are actually posting to be nearly unanimous in their decision, which is almost impossible.

Basically, I agree with the half-majority at deadline being plenty fair.
Remember...It's not a lie if you believe it. -- G. Costanza
Axelrod
Axelrod
Mafia Scum
Axelrod
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Wed Jul 13, 2005 11:43 am

Post by Axelrod »

Eh. In the games I have played so far, I can truthfully say I was always more annoyed when someone was lynched at a deadline with less than a majority. Requiring a majority "forces" the town to participate, and if they don't, well then, they should face the penalty.

I recognize the need to "keep the game moving," but from games I've seen, the town will usually learn its lesson the first time they "miss" a lynch because they couldn't agree. I'm running a game on another site, 20 players, no majority = no lynch, and I've imposed two deadlines. Each time the deadline galvanized the town and they did manage to accumulate the necessary votes.

Lynching the high vote getter actually enables lurking, since that particular incentive to vote is absent.

Games on this site, however, play at quite a different pace. That's a factor to take into consideration also. When single days take weeks and weeks, missing even one can drag the game out significantly. So, as a practical matter, I don't object. I just don't like it. It feels like you are saying "fine, whatever, let's just get this over with. You don't want to be here, I don't want to be here."

I guess my objection is mainly philosophical. If players aren't participating, they should be replaced.
mith
mith
Godfather
mith
Godfather
Godfather

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Wed Jul 13, 2005 12:30 pm

Post by mith »

I'd forgotten about DS's version. I think it's my favorite.

I agree with what's been said about requiring majority is often unfair on those participating. However, getting lynched with a handful of votes because of a deadline is the most annoying thing I have to deal with in Mafia. I don't know how often it happens in general, but a majority of my lynches in the past three years have been at deadline. That's an anomaly though, and I recognize the need for reducing the number at deadline.

When I get back to modding (soon... I'll probably run some sort of game before the invitational) I am probably going to do a bit of experimenting with deadlines and voting. But more on that some other time. :)
Thesp
Thesp
Supersaint
Thesp
Supersaint
Supersaint

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Wed Jul 13, 2005 12:31 pm

Post by Thesp »

I prefer the half-majority view, the one Dragon Phoenix has mentioned. It gives the mafia much more influence, and punishes the town in a much subtler way.

And I agree, if someone isn't participating, they shouldn't be playing.
"When playing a game, the goal is to win, but it is the goal that is important, not the winning." -
Reiner Knizia

Ask me about my automatic votecounter, and how you can use it in
your
game!
Check out my 15 minutes of fame on Wait Wait...Don't Tell Me!
the silent speaker
the silent speaker
Mafia Scum
the silent speaker
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Wed Jul 13, 2005 2:23 pm

Post by the silent speaker »

I don't like cheap deadline lynches either, but having no provisions for deadlines is just asking for trouble, too. What I did for Simpsons Maf was require strong consensus among the active voters, so lurkers couldn't hamstring the town but small groups couldn't impose their wills on the majority either. (I used 80% of all votes cast, minimum three, but 75% might be better.)
If players aren't participating, they should be replaced.
Easy enough to say when you aren't the one who has to replace twenty of them.
I think it's pretty clear that TSS's awesomeness did alter the roles each of us recieved, and thus he's obviously pro-town. -- Save The Dragons
PeaceBringer
PeaceBringer
Posts Blindly
PeaceBringer
Posts Blindly
Posts Blindly

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Wed Jul 13, 2005 7:08 pm

Post by PeaceBringer »

Seol wrote:Full majority. If the town can't come to a conclusion in a sensible amount of time, then the deadline should serve to punish them for their laziness. Why should different rules apply just because you're
not
getting anywhere?

OR:

Half majority. If the game's taking this long already, the last thing you want to do is slow it down and risk turning the players off the game even more. Requiring a full majority also makes it easier for the scum to stall to a no-lynch.

Which argument do you personally sympathise with better?
anything not involving threat of death rewards lurking and is not helpful.
Dasquian
Dasquian
Mafia Scum
Dasquian
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Wed Jul 13, 2005 10:21 pm

Post by Dasquian »

I prefer the ideology of the "no majority, no lynch" deadline, for metagame reasons - in the long-run, you need your players to appreciate the necessity to vote all the way up to and including the actual lynching vote. Allowing half-price lynches, particularly in the early game when that can mean needing 5 votes less, means that people think that day actually went
well
. Which means the people who lurked didn't get the flak for it they deserved. Which means they'll do it again.

So I'm a firm believer that you should meta-game in some serious lurker hate by refusing to budge on the majority needed.

In practice, though, I agree with much of the above. Whenever I've tried this, it hasn't made any lurkers come back and so I just feel like the people who are there and getting frustrated are being penalised. How about this for a strategy?

At deadline: Number of votes for a lynch needed drops by 1.
24 hours after deadline: Number of votes for a lynch needed drops by a further 1.
48 hours after deadline: Number of votes for a lynch needed drops by a further 1 (so now, 3 votes less than normal).

And so on? What effect do people think that would have? Obviously there'd have to be some way of resolving sudden ties.
[size=84]QUACK[/size]
halfpint
halfpint
Goon
halfpint
Goon
Goon

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Thu Jul 14, 2005 2:29 am

Post by halfpint »

Dasquian wrote: At deadline: Number of votes for a lynch needed drops by 1.
24 hours after deadline: Number of votes for a lynch needed drops by a further 1.
48 hours after deadline: Number of votes for a lynch needed drops by a further 1 (so now, 3 votes less than normal).
Wait, are you saying that the players can still vote to lynch someone after the deadline has passed? If so, then what's the point of the deadline?

I've practiced the half-majority at deadline but I can see good reasons for having the full majority required to lynch.
mith
mith
Godfather
mith
Godfather
Godfather

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Thu Jul 14, 2005 3:24 am

Post by mith »

I think he just needs to call it something other than "deadline". :)

Dropping by 1 each 24 hours thing would become more signficant as the game goes. You can hope that won't be a problem (most deadline lynches occur in the first couple days, I think), but it's still the opposite of what you want.
Dasquian
Dasquian
Mafia Scum
Dasquian
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #16 (ISO) » Thu Jul 14, 2005 3:34 am

Post by Dasquian »

Yeah, sorry... deadline was a dumb term for that suggestion. ;)

I think it would certainly result in some weird plays but would ultimately be a variation on "half-majority at deadline" - it's just that instead of a snap check at the deadline, you're sliding towards that half-majority and past it over the course of the next week or so. I don't think it'd actually be a particularly good idea, thinking about it.

Ultimately the problem is having inactive players... I've rarely seen a game full of eager participants struggle to find someone to lynch. Even if they procrastinate, there's going to be a lot of discussion, which will hopefully eventually go somewhere.
[size=84]QUACK[/size]
Mr. Flay
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Metatron

Post Post #17 (ISO) » Thu Jul 14, 2005 3:43 am

Post by Mr. Flay »

I don't know if it's because of the summer or what, but I'm having a devil's own time getting good discussion going in any of the games I've been in lately, outside of Road to Rome. Are people just too busy to play, disinterested in the theme, or am I expecting too much (i.e that people will post once a week)?
Mr Stoofer
Mr Stoofer
Less than scum
Mr Stoofer
Less than scum
Less than scum

Post Post #18 (ISO) » Fri Jul 15, 2005 6:33 am

Post by Mr Stoofer »

Thanks to everyone who provided suggestions for this. I went with the majority (in both senses) and adopted DP's rule.
rolandofthewhite
rolandofthewhite
F. the White!
rolandofthewhite
F. the White!
F. the White!

Post Post #19 (ISO) » Fri Jul 15, 2005 3:52 pm

Post by rolandofthewhite »

::rimshot::
Quiero hacer contigo lo que la primavera hace con los cerezos.
ibaesha
ibaesha
Too Townie
ibaesha
Too Townie
Too Townie

Post Post #20 (ISO) » Thu Jul 21, 2005 6:07 pm

Post by ibaesha »

Mr. Flay wrote:I don't know if it's because of the summer or what, but I'm having a devil's own time getting good discussion going in any of the games I've been in lately, outside of Road to Rome. Are people just too busy to play, disinterested in the theme, or am I expecting too much (i.e that people will post once a week)?
I just asked a similar question in a game I'm in. Currently I'm in two games and both are at a standstill because of someone who is not active. It's frustrating me to the point that I nearly makes -me- ask to be replaced so I can try to get in a game that this isn't happening. It can't just be a coincidence. I'd just like to point out, if people aren't going to play, tell your mod, get replaced, don't ruin other people's fun waiting for you to participate, because that's what it's doing. Also, nearly every game I've read has a 48 hour rule. I think this needs to be enforced more heavily if this is becoming such a widespread problem. I'm just a newbie, but that's how I feel.

This doesn't apply to people who actually post that they'll be away. That is understandable and can be worked with, but not knowing what is going on and waiting is infuriating. Or maybe I'm just too impatient. *shrug*
Mr. Flay
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Metatron

Post Post #21 (ISO) » Fri Jul 29, 2005 6:33 am

Post by Mr. Flay »

Hopefully the slowness of games will be alleviated *somewhat* when we make the jump to a new hosting service (see the Global Announcement by mith), but there has to be something else going on... I've had to stop myself several times from throwing in the towel on all my games from the frustration, and I *like* this game. What does that say for the people who are new to the site?!? :evil:

Return to “Mafia Discussion”