Mini 199 - Time Travel Mafia, Game Over!

mathcam
mathcam
Captain Observant
mathcam
Captain Observant
Captain Observant

Mini 199 - Time Travel Mafia, Game Over!

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Mon Jun 13, 2005 4:18 pm

Post by mathcam »

The date was September 14, 1983. I've just finished...wait, hold on, no...it's definitely sometime in the 60's. Or did I go back to the 60's yesterday? Right right right...it's
definitely
March 11, 2004. This time travel business can be confusing. In any case, journal, I've just finished the last touches on my time machine, and the last few test runs have been a perfct success. If only it didn't require quite so much expensive time fuel, this could be the next------------------

That, of course, was the last journal entry of scientist Jenna Ricinventor, found the night she was murdered, over a year ago today. Since that time, cheap imitations of Jenna's time machine have flooded the market. Though the problem of time-fuel consumption is still very restrictive, the last year has seen remarkable advancement in fuel production. So while nearly every household possesses (at least!) one time-machine, few can afford to use them very often.

Though attempts have been made to thwart the evil-doers, nothing yet has been very successful.

Current History
:

Night 1

You awake to find that EmpTyger has been killed.
You awake to find that Quagmire has been killed.

Day 1

The town lynched Mr. Stoofer with the following vote count:

Mr. Stoofer (4, Nox, Someone, Fishbulb, SinisterOverlord)
SinisterOverlord (2, Speedy, Stoofer)
Not Voting: Changling bob, Gaspode, N_lich, mole

Night 2

No one dies. Phew!

Day 2

Sinister Overlord (non-townie) has been lynched.

Night 3

Mole (townie), SpeedyKQ (non-townie), and N_lich (townie) have been killed.

Day 3

Changling Bob (non-townie) has been lynched.

Night 4

Someone (non-townie) has been killed.

Day 4

Fishbulb (non-townie) has been killed.

Not Currently Dead - 2
:
Nox
Fritzler (replacing Gaspode)

Currently Dead - 10
:
EmpTyger (non-townie, killed night 1)
Quagmire (non-townie, killed night 1)
Mr Stoofer (non-townie, lynched day 1)
SinisterOverlord (non-townie, lynched day 2)
SpeedyKQ (non-townie, killed night 3)
N_lich (townie, killed night 3)
mole (townie, killed night 3)
Changling bob (non-townie, lynched day 3)
Someone (non-townie, killed night 4)
Fishbulb (non-townie, lynched day 4)
Last edited by mathcam on Thu Sep 01, 2005 4:27 am, edited 17 times in total.
mathcam
mathcam
Captain Observant
mathcam
Captain Observant
Captain Observant

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Mon Jun 13, 2005 4:32 pm

Post by mathcam »

I absolutely insist that you thoroughly read these rules before starting the game.

Major Rule Changes
:

Q: How is time travel incorporated into the game?

A: Many night choices will occur on nights that are not the current one. For example, some roles could be used on night 2 to enact a change on night 5, or on night 1. Performing actions in the
future
will just have a delayed effect. Performing actions in the
past
may cause time to be rewritten. If/when this happens, I will post an updated timeline, though I'll leave the old timeline in its original post to keep for your records.

Q: Given some kind of time loop, couldn't this game go on for ever?

No. The key component to the time-travel mechanism is time-fuel, of which there is a limited quantity in this game. It
is
possible, however, in the case that everyone uses up all of their time fuel, that the game will turn in to a regular mini game.

Q: So how does this time fuel work?

The rules differ from role to role...some players have a certain number of times they can travel, while some players have a certain number of days they can travel through. Other than that, it's a mystery. :)

Q: Wait, so if I die, I might come back to life? How does that work?

Sure, if a doctor goes back in time to protect you on the night you were killed. If this happens, you'll be caught up to the game, and history will be re-written because of your presence in each intermediate day. Because of this (IMPORTANT), all dead players must keep up with the game, and submit votes and night-choices to me (privately, through PM) as if they were still alive. These will be their actions if they are brought back to life.

Q: Any weird rules on lynching?

Yup, 'fraid so. It is not the case that a player will be lynched as soon as a majority is hit. Instead, I will set a dealine each day, and the player with the most votes at deadline is lynched, regardless of how many. No lynch is still a possibility...if no lynch has the most votes at deadline, then it wins. If it's a tie, whoever got their first gets killed (lynches always win ties over no lynch). If there are no votes at deadline, there will be no lynch. Keep in mind that dead players coming back to life will have a say in re-writing the history. Finally, you cannot vote for dead players.

Q: Will roles be revealed upon death?

Not all roles will be revealed on death. This seems reasonable enough normally, as it's not clear that seeing a mafia's dead body would tell you that they were mafia. It's important in this game, seeing as how players can come back to life, that their life stories not be completely revealed. All that will be revealed upon death is whether or not the player was a generic townie. Players with roles that are not generic townies will not be revealed.

Q: What happens if I go back in time and kill myself?

While obviously a bad play, this is a question that needs addressing...if there's any possible way of making a scenario work, then I'll process any night choice I get. If there's just no way to resolve a certain collection of night choices, I may PM you and disallow your choice.

Q: What happens if I do something like quoting my role PM or something else that would typically involve mod intervention?

Whether by accident or intentional, to maintain game integrity, I have to make sure that the outcome is not advantageous for your team, so I will use my discretion in doling out punishment. If it's accidental or unknowing, this will typically mean being modkilled, but may require something stronger. If it's intentional, I'll make sure you regret it, both in and out of this game.

Q: Anything else I should know?

Sure. First, if you've played any of my games before, you might be expecting a split-motive/role game. That won't be the case. On the other hand, I
have
done a decent amount of work to make sure that mass role-claiming will not benefit anyone very much. For instance, I will post the townie role PM:
Me, to some players, wrote: You are a townie with a time machine, though unfortunately without time fuel...or at least much of it. You have just enough fuel to send a time shield into the future to protect yourself on a future night. Please confirm by PM, including which night you would like to send your time shield forward to.

No need to confirm, but PLEASE be sure to read all of the rules in the second post.
Further,
all
of the other pro-town roles finish with the lines
Me, to you players who aren't trying to kill everyone else, wrote: You win with the town.

No need to confirm, but PLEASE be sure to read all of the rules in the second post.
And, of course, there are the below (mostly) regular rules:

Rules
  • 1) All communication outside this thread by me will be by PM. So, if you're wondering when that role e-mail will be sent, it won't be.
    2) Once the day's deadline has been reached, the lynchee is dead and Twilight has begun. Posting is allowed during Twilight, though additional votes will not be counted.
    3)
    Once you are deceased, also decease from posting.
    Because of possible back-to-life issues, do not post
    anything
    else until/unless you are brought back to life.
    4) Votes must be in bold. If you do not bold your vote, it will not be counted. Unvotes are appreciated, but not required.
    5) Please do not discuss this game out of thread unless your role specifically states you may communicate with other players. Remember, just because you're dead doesn't mean you're out of the game.
    6) Do not edit/delete any post on pain of being disinvited from playing and/or smiting.
    7) If you anticipate being unavailable for more than a 48-hour period, please post a notice to that effect in the thread. Treat this game as a commitment to 12 others. Be considerate: don't leave us hanging.
    8 ) Do not quote any private communication from me.
    9) If there are four consecutive periods (where a period is either a night or a day) without a kill, the game will be ruled a draw unless I see convincing evidence to keep it going. For example, no lynch followed by no night kills followed again by no lynch and no night kill will probably be ruled a draw. At least, this is how it works in my regular games. In this game, things will be geared more toward my discretion.
    10) If a player is targeted to be killed more times than the number of times he is protected, he will die.
    11) Remember that this is a game, intended to be enjoyable for everyone. I hope you play to win without giving in to name-calling or general meanness. I will give a warning PM to the offenders if it gets out of hand, and a subsequent infraction will be punishable by smiting.
    12) If I do something stupid, please indicate this to me privately. I may or may not have made a mistake.
Last edited by mathcam on Thu Jun 16, 2005 9:32 am, edited 2 times in total.
mathcam
mathcam
Captain Observant
mathcam
Captain Observant
Captain Observant

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Mon Jun 13, 2005 6:10 pm

Post by mathcam »

Roles are out!. No need to confirm. Get those night choices in! (Including time shields, townies!)

Cam
mathcam
mathcam
Captain Observant
mathcam
Captain Observant
Captain Observant

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Thu Jun 16, 2005 6:06 pm

Post by mathcam »

Almost done with night choices. Game will probably start tomorrow.

Cam
mathcam
mathcam
Captain Observant
mathcam
Captain Observant
Captain Observant

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Fri Jun 17, 2005 7:27 pm

Post by mathcam »

You awake in the morning to find that EmpTyger, well, didn't.
EmpTyger (non-townie)
, has been killed.

Reminder: Time history can change, so EmpTyger, you're not out of the game yet. Please remember to vote for a player or for no lynch privately to me through PM. That vote will be enacted if you are ever brought back to life. Similarly, don't forget to submit a night choice tonight. Finally, don't forget that there is no posting once you're dead.

To keep all information available, I'll post the death scene each night in two places: Here, and in the opening post. In case of a timeline re-write, I will edit the one in the opening post, but leave the one here so that this information is available for piecing together what happened.

Deadline in 11 days.

Cam
Last edited by mathcam on Mon Jun 20, 2005 3:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mr Stoofer
Mr Stoofer
Less than scum
Mr Stoofer
Less than scum
Less than scum

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Fri Jun 17, 2005 8:46 pm

Post by Mr Stoofer »

Vote: Someone
SpeedyKQ
SpeedyKQ
Mafia Scum
SpeedyKQ
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Sat Jun 18, 2005 3:24 am

Post by SpeedyKQ »

Random
vote SinisterOverlord

The thing that scares me most about this setup is non-revealing of roles on death. Seems we'll be in a state of constant cluelessness.
[size=75]Mafia is hard.[/size]
SinisterOverlord
SinisterOverlord
Goon
SinisterOverlord
Goon
Goon

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Sat Jun 18, 2005 3:50 am

Post by SinisterOverlord »

SpeedyKQ wrote:The thing that scares me most about this setup is non-revealing of roles on death. Seems we'll be in a state of constant cluelessness.
Mm. Depends on how the game plays out... but it looks like there's a good chance we don't know we're doing well until we win - or badly until we lose.

I also note Mr Stoofer's vote ain't random. Leads me to suspect he may have info we don't. Care to explain?
MUAHAHAHAHA!! AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAA!!!
Someone
Someone
Well, we gotta remove Someone
Someone

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Sat Jun 18, 2005 3:51 am

Post by Someone »

We do get townee/non-townee at death. Added to the fact that we surely have some time-docs that can go back to save them, and there is a good chance that we'll have some confirmed innocents in this game.

As for those time docs, I don't think you should go back and save emp-tiger tonight. There's a good chance that he's mafia, and it's better to save your time-juice for later use. It's more than likely we have more than one killing group in this game, and this means that emp-tiger is not completely confirmed.

As for the roles in this game, one must wonder if Mathcam brought back the coroner-type role, since it was really one of the funner parts of CS's TT's, even with the inconsistencies it made with the timelines.

As for voting, IMO, the final vote-count should look something like this:

Someone-6
Someone else-3
Everyone else- None

The small second bandwagon on the person we find suspicious, is to prevent dead mafia from being able to vote for whoever they want to kill, and then kill the leading vote getter. Ex:

Someone-9
Everyone else-0

Scum A dies and votes for who they want killed.
Scum A gets revived.
Scum A kills Someone.

As you can see, in this scenario Scum A gets to lynch whoever they want.

That's all I've thought of for now...
I'll talk more later.
This is just here so my posts don't look so ugly when I edit them.
Quagmire
Quagmire
Mafia Scum
Quagmire
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Sat Jun 18, 2005 4:15 am

Post by Quagmire »

My guess on Emptyger's death is that Emp is the SK, and the mafia killed him, but yet EmpTyger went forward in time to kill someone.

That's assuming that "non-townie" means someone who's not playing for the town instead of someone who's not a vanilla townie. mathcam, could you please clarify that for me?
Someone
Someone
Someone

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Sat Jun 18, 2005 4:17 am

Post by Someone »

non-townee means someone who's not a vanilla townee. Read the first game.
mathcam
mathcam
Captain Observant
mathcam
Captain Observant
Captain Observant

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Sat Jun 18, 2005 5:00 am

Post by mathcam »

Correct.

Cam
mole
mole
die suck die
mole
die suck die
die suck die

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Sat Jun 18, 2005 5:16 am

Post by mole »

In fact it's in the second post:
All that will be revealed upon death is whether or not the player was a generic townie.
I was all for saving EmpTyger tonight until I read Someone's post. He's right that it is probably better to wait until we think we're bringing back a pro-town role, but what can we do find out? We won't find out how many killing groups there are by lynching people, and trying to count the number of deaths that occur per night is going to take some work, and a lot more data than we'll have even tomorrow.

Perhaps it's better to just save the generic townies, as we can be sure they're innocent.
mole
mole
die suck die
mole
die suck die
die suck die

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Sat Jun 18, 2005 5:29 am

Post by mole »

Whoa, posted that too quickly. It
is
possible to prove there's more than one killing group if enough deaths occur on one night. (since all the kills submitted on Night 2 are posted on Night 2, even if the mafia travelled back in time to commit them). What we can't prove is that there is only one family (which would be useful as it would prove EmpTyger innocent, unless he killed himself or something), since a kill could have been sent into the future, or blocked by a time shield or a doctor.

All we can do is wait until someone's brave enough to say "You know, we've gone five nights and there's only ever been one kill on each of them. Isn't it about time we brought Tyger back to life?"
Someone
Someone
Someone

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Sat Jun 18, 2005 6:16 am

Post by Someone »

Since the mafia probably have limited time juice, by day 2 or 3 we should have a good idea how many kill groups we have.

IMO we should wait until we get some confirmed innocents before we go reviving people who might be scum. Also, I don't think that there's only one scum group, that would make the town overpowered as all the deaths would be confirmed innocents.
Gaspode
Gaspode
Old school
Gaspode
Old school
Old school

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Sat Jun 18, 2005 7:30 am

Post by Gaspode »

I would bet there is more than one killing group. Wasn't there a non-time-travelling SK in one of the earlier time travel games? Maybe he killed EmpTyger, and the mafia sent a kill forward in time.

vote: SinisterOverlord
Oh no! I didn't say it's random! I must be scum or a cop! :P
Nox
Nox
Goon
Nox
Goon
Goon

Post Post #16 (ISO) » Sat Jun 18, 2005 8:37 am

Post by Nox »

Whoa this is going to be confusing O.o

This is my first non-newbie game ^^;;

Well, Me not really knowing what all roles are, I'm a little lost. I'm going to go read it up I think.

For now, what I can see is that I like Someone's somewhat foolproof plan for the voting. Seems valid to me. Gaspode's reasoning about the posible SKis also nice, what he's proposing is quite plausible.

Mr.Stoofer's vote wasn't specified as random, which, like SinisterOverlord mentionned, could lead one to think that he has information we don't. Unless he just forgot to say it was a random vote, or he had information, I really don't see what could have possibly led him to think that Someone was scum, as Someone had not even posted yet at the time of his voting. Explanation?

Then, Gaspode's voting for SinisterOverlord was another vote, again unjustified. This time, we know for a fact that his vote wasn't random, because he mocks it in his post. Reasoning, please?
Nocturne is, most obviously, NOT sleeping.
Quagmire
Quagmire
Mafia Scum
Quagmire
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #17 (ISO) » Sat Jun 18, 2005 9:10 am

Post by Quagmire »

Nox, you're overanalyzing a little too much and overlooking Gaspode just trying to bring a little light-heartedness to the game.
Gaspode
Gaspode
Old school
Gaspode
Old school
Old school

Post Post #18 (ISO) » Sat Jun 18, 2005 11:42 am

Post by Gaspode »

And I was trying to subtlely make a point that you should all read this (or at least some of it, I didn't even have time to read the whole thing myself): http://www.mafiascum.net/forum/viewtopi ... &showall=1 ;)
Someone
Someone
Someone

Post Post #19 (ISO) » Sat Jun 18, 2005 12:35 pm

Post by Someone »

It's only two pages. Get of your lazy asses and read it.
Nox
Nox
Goon
Nox
Goon
Goon

Post Post #20 (ISO) » Sat Jun 18, 2005 12:55 pm

Post by Nox »

Gaspode: So your position, if my assumptions are correct, is against random voting? It was interesting to read the different point of views of people in that debate. Point taken. :) Now why do you suspect SinisterOverlord, if its not a random vote?

Quagmire: Yes I know he was not beeing serious. I still dont think his post was random, hence why I'm asking him why he suspects SinisterOverlord.

Someone: Done :P
Nocturne is, most obviously, NOT sleeping.
SinisterOverlord
SinisterOverlord
Goon
SinisterOverlord
Goon
Goon

Post Post #21 (ISO) » Sat Jun 18, 2005 3:42 pm

Yeah, read it. Okay, so it coulda just been a random vote without the random, it coulda been an attempt to start of more discusion, yeah.

But that doesn't mean that he doesn't have info. It still could mean he's a cop or a scum or whatever. You'll notice I didn't go OMGHEHASINFOVOTESOMEONE, I'm not saying he definitely has info. I'm saying it's a possibility, and asking him to say more on the topic.
Gaspode
Gaspode
Old school
Gaspode
Old school
Old school

Post Post #22 (ISO) » Sat Jun 18, 2005 3:42 pm

Post by Gaspode »

Nox: That's sort of my position. If people want to random vote to start the day, I'm not going to complain--it's not necessarily the perfect play, but it has its purpose and doesn't really hurt. However, I'm more one to follow the mith school of useless yet nonrandom babble and using any tiny hunch or idea to get the day going.

I just don't think someone voting without specifically calling it random is no real cause for alarm. Such a vote can't really be considered a mafia tell (mafia want to fit in with the crowd, not stick out), and why would a cop come out day one? There are always sanity questions, etc. Plus, if a cop was going to come out, I'd hope they would just do it all at once, rather than be all cryptic about it, attracting the attention of scum but still being useless to the town.

So if you want a definite reason for the vote, it's because I don't think every Day 1 vote needs to be random (as opposed to what SinisterOverlord implies), and any tiny ridiculous reason for a vote (like this one) is preferable to random for me, if only to start discussion. (And in this case, the fact that Stoofer didn't specifically say it was random didn't mean it wasn't.)

In other words, it's about 1% above random. ;)
SinisterOverlord
SinisterOverlord
Goon
SinisterOverlord
Goon
Goon

Post Post #23 (ISO) » Sat Jun 18, 2005 3:53 pm

I'm not trying to imply all starting votes should be random. I was raising the possibility that this one wasn't, hopefully to get more information from Mr Stoofer on it. If it was random, then fine, we move on to other things, but on the chance it wasn't I don't want to miss whatever it means.
Gaspode
Gaspode
Old school
Gaspode
Old school
Old school

Post Post #24 (ISO) » Sat Jun 18, 2005 4:00 pm

Post by Gaspode »

Hopefully Stoofer will show up soon to clarify things; the last thing we need is for me to continue ranting on useless voting theory.

Return to “Completed Mini Theme Games”