Newbie 1131 - Game over

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
Demyx
Demyx
Goon
Demyx
Goon
Goon

Post Post #25 (ISO) » Fri Jul 15, 2011 3:41 am

Post by Demyx »

Gingy wrote:
My apologies.

They are intertwined to a degree. I can do both at the same time.

Uh, no need to apologize, I was just trying to discuss. Sometimes I can be a little abrasive because I enjoy arguing, so I'll say in advance it's nothing personal >_>

haoala wrote:Hello all! I have a question for all of you (besides Tajun, who has answered it): How's your experience with mafia, whether on- or off-site?

I play mafia regularly on another forum. We have the standard-other-than-this-site 24 hour days. We're all gamers so we do a lot of video game style mechanics in our mafia (leveling up, puzzle solving). It's really different from this style of game! But of course some of the basic scumhunting techniques and all carry over so hopefully I won't be too lost here. Oh, I also used to play quite a bit of mafia in real life, but that was a long time ago and honestly I think they are so different that that experience doesn't really apply.

Also, what time zone are you in?

Eastern US.

I'd suggest that all of you get an avatar so we can easily recognise the poster. Nice avatar btw, Demyx. I like "Want you gone".

Totally agree, avatars are really helpful. And thanks :)

StefanB wrote:
Demyz and Haola: What are your own answers to your questions?

Demyx with an X, please :) I think I already answered it partially in my post to VitaminR, but yes, vanilla townie is my favorite. I find it stressful to play as scum because I don't feel like I am very good at deception, and power roles carry extra responsibility. I'm a low stress, low expectations kinda person ;)

Demyz why did you ask that specific question? If you want to wait until everyone answered them okay, but it's an interesting question to ask.

It's kind of a subtle-ish way to get people's views on scumhunting in general.

Post 16 makes me nervous, that don't trust me reminds me to much of a certain character in a book. I don't want to "I told you you should have trust me!", moment later. (Perhaps I read the wrong book in the moment)

Trust no one! :p
VitaminR
VitaminR
Mafia Scum
VitaminR
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #26 (ISO) » Fri Jul 15, 2011 3:41 am

Post by VitaminR »

StefanB wrote:Post 16 makes me nervous, that don't trust me reminds me to much of a certain character in a book. I don't want to "I told you you should have trust me!", moment later. (Perhaps I read the wrong book in the moment)

Really? It was obviously tongue-in-cheek.

StefanB wrote:What????
The mafia would ask you to play the game???
What is so different from my thinking and this point:

StefanB wrote:I wan't you to make seens.

And if you think I am mafia, why no vote?

You seem very nervous.
StefanB
StefanB
Mafia Scum
StefanB
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #27 (ISO) » Fri Jul 15, 2011 4:41 am

Post by StefanB »

VitaminX:

Tongue in check or apearing to be inocent. Sometimes the best lie is to tell the truth.

Well nervous is not really what I would call myself. Confused by LegendofMafia (who I know is from another side an wanted to invite players from here for a challenche) is more like it, correction by exactly four of his five posts. Overeager, yes! Nervous because of one post I don't even understand, (And that is not the first one from Legend) and your vote on me. I fully admite that is more than I have gotten in other games, that's true, but why do you call me nervous.
And what do you think about Legend of Mafia?
haoala
haoala
Goon
haoala
Goon
Goon
Happy Scumday!

Post Post #28 (ISO) » Fri Jul 15, 2011 5:03 am

Post by haoala »

@Demyx, do I like being a vanilla townie? Well, personally I prefer power roles because of the responsibility and special powers they have.

I've played in 3 games on this site, but was replaced in 2 of them.

GMT +8
haoala
haoala
Goon
haoala
Goon
Goon
Happy Scumday!

Post Post #29 (ISO) » Fri Jul 15, 2011 5:04 am

Post by haoala »

I think LOM is a joker.
Demyx
Demyx
Goon
Demyx
Goon
Goon

Post Post #30 (ISO) » Fri Jul 15, 2011 5:09 am

Post by Demyx »

haoala wrote:

...really?

Not a glowing endorsement... :/

Legend of Mafia is the garden variety sort of poster who has no idea how to play mafia, doesn't seem terribly interested in learning, and you wonder why he's here. That's my take.
legend of mafia
legend of mafia
Townie
legend of mafia
Townie
Townie

Post Post #31 (ISO) » Fri Jul 15, 2011 5:35 am

Post by legend of mafia »

Look at them all bandwaggoning. One of them is the mafia trying to get me out.
Lichtieforlife
Demyx
Demyx
Goon
Demyx
Goon
Goon

Post Post #32 (ISO) » Fri Jul 15, 2011 5:49 am

Post by Demyx »

Sorry if that last post seemed too harsh, Legend, but I think it'd be helpful if you answered some of the questions put forth by other posters.
VitaminR
VitaminR
Mafia Scum
VitaminR
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #33 (ISO) » Fri Jul 15, 2011 6:19 am

Post by VitaminR »

StefanB wrote:Well nervous is not really what I would call myself. Confused by LegendofMafia (who I know is from another side an wanted to invite players from here for a challenche) is more like it, correction by exactly four of his five posts. Overeager, yes! Nervous because of one post I don't even understand, (And that is not the first one from Legend) and your vote on me. I fully admite that is more than I have gotten in other games, that's true, but why do you call me nervous.

I called you nervous because the moment legend called you mafia, you took it seriously. It seemed strange to take such a jokey accusation seriously. It reminds me somewhat of myself as scum. As scum, I tend to take accusations too seriously, because I know them to be correct, when, as town, I know them to be baseless and I don't worry about it.

StefanB wrote:And what do you think about Legend of Mafia?

Not much, so far. Seems a little paranoid.
Gingy
Gingy
Townie
Gingy
Townie
Townie

Post Post #34 (ISO) » Fri Jul 15, 2011 6:31 am

Post by Gingy »

Timezome: Eastern US

History with mafia in general
---------------------------------
Epicmafia: 128-114 (21 accidental suicides from my terrible computer at the time)
Forum Mafia- 1-1

Question: What is your greatest flaw as scum?

Mine is my sense of a carefree town.
I came from Epicmafia, forgive me if they taught me to be a jerk
Gingy
Gingy
Townie
Gingy
Townie
Townie

Post Post #35 (ISO) » Fri Jul 15, 2011 6:32 am

Post by Gingy »

legend of mafia wrote:Look at them all bandwaggoning. One of them is the mafia trying to get me out.

You realize you are scummy right now and the votes are justified.
I came from Epicmafia, forgive me if they taught me to be a jerk
forehead7
forehead7
Goon
forehead7
Goon
Goon

Post Post #36 (ISO) » Fri Jul 15, 2011 8:00 am

Post by forehead7 »

I'm in the GMT timezone. Five hours infront of Eastern.

First game on here, I've played a few on the same site as Legend of Mafia(who's a complete dumbass btw) and a bunch on another site(View Askew, someone said Starbuck plays on here, she's from there as well)

I tend to go quiet when I'm mafia and get killed because of my quietness. When I'm village, I rarely get killed by the mafia. It tends to be the village who kill me because I end up putting my foot in my mouth.
Tajun
Tajun
Goon
Tajun
Goon
Goon

Post Post #37 (ISO) » Fri Jul 15, 2011 1:58 pm

Post by Tajun »

Sorry about the dumb question Vel-Rahn, I read the rules, I swear, but that one slipped past me.

I'm in GMT -5, aka Eastern Standard.

Right now, Legend Of Mafia is the only one who strikes me as particularily scummy. However, I don't want a policy lynch on the first day, so I will
Unvote
It strikes me that this is his personality, and that his actions would be the same Mafia or not. That being said, FOS on LOM.

I will however
Vote AndroidDreams
him/her being the first inactive I see. Are you with us?
"I see little hope for democracy as an effective form of government, but I admire the poetry of how it makes its victims complicit in their own destruction."
haoala
haoala
Goon
haoala
Goon
Goon
Happy Scumday!

Post Post #38 (ISO) » Fri Jul 15, 2011 5:34 pm

Post by haoala »

Demyx wrote:
haoala wrote:

...really?

Not a glowing endorsement... :/

Oh but I forgot to mention that those 2 were played about 4-5 years ago. I assure you that I intend to play this game to the end.

forehead7, you seem to have played with LOM before. What's your take on his behaviour right now? Scummy or innocent?
StefanB
StefanB
Mafia Scum
StefanB
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #39 (ISO) » Fri Jul 15, 2011 8:28 pm

Post by StefanB »

VitaninR: Okay nervous is your interpretation of me. Beeing worried is not the reason for going into the direction of LoM. Why should I be worried about having one RVS vote and one baseless acusation.
My problem is more that I don't understand LoM one bit and this is one think I don't like, but if I believe Forehead7, that this is unfortunatly normal for him.
Of course it all comes back to interpretation of actions. I can't prove that your interpretation is wrong, and I have been know to react badly under pressure. (in my shamegame and unfortunatly I was VT in there)

Gingy: Good question not an easy one:
Well in that play were I got lynched: Typing to slow and not attacking strong enough. But that was marathon.
In my scumnewbiegame: Not planning ahead (okay I don't do that in most of my newbiegames, but in that scumgame it was really a problem), to willing to compromise for a lynch, sending my scumpartner to L-1 to get him hamered (thought was necesary), searching for scum becomes harder to fake if the game continues.

But my biggest flaw is that I am moodswingy to much and unfurtunatly that has nothing to do with alligment.
StefanB
StefanB
Mafia Scum
StefanB
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #40 (ISO) » Fri Jul 15, 2011 8:46 pm

Post by StefanB »

Okay to get that out:

LoM had 2 votes, now has one, how is this a big bandwagon?

Tajun: Why do you think that 2 votes will led to a lynch necessary down the line? LoM is in the moment in no danger. And then you voted someone who isn't there. Hell of a safe vote.

Unvote

Vote: Tajun

I gave my paranoia a rest, I will probably get a read on him when the day continues. LoM is somethink to get back to later also. By then there are 3 posibilitys:
1. He improved his game.
2. He replaced out.
3. He still is a headace, who is a problem for us all.

If it is 3 we will have to look in the situation further. Please LoM make it 1.
Demyx
Demyx
Goon
Demyx
Goon
Goon

Post Post #41 (ISO) » Sat Jul 16, 2011 3:03 am

Post by Demyx »

Gingy wrote:
Question: What is your greatest flaw as scum?

Probably that I find it difficult to fake scumhunting as scum. In many of my games as scum, I get called out: "Demyx isn't being helpful!" "Demyx isn't being aggressive!" I've stepped up my game a LITTLE bit but still have issues. I don't really like playing scum to be honest!

Mine is my sense of a carefree town.

What does that mean?

haoala wrote:
Oh but I forgot to mention that those 2 were played about 4-5 years ago. I assure you that I intend to play this game to the end.

Ah, cool. :)

Stefan, I have to agree with VitaminR, you do seem pretty nervous.
Tajun
Tajun
Goon
Tajun
Goon
Goon

Post Post #42 (ISO) » Sat Jul 16, 2011 4:59 am

Post by Tajun »

StefanB: I don't think a lynch is imminent by any stretch, I just wanted to get my vote somewhere more useful. If LoM is a joker, then he's not going to give us any useful info under pressure anyway, and I'd like to see the whole town get involved. Hence the vote on the inactive, to see if I could wake him up. Besides, I figured we were still basically in RVS anyway?
"I see little hope for democracy as an effective form of government, but I admire the poetry of how it makes its victims complicit in their own destruction."
Demyx
Demyx
Goon
Demyx
Goon
Goon

Post Post #43 (ISO) » Sat Jul 16, 2011 5:27 am

Post by Demyx »

Why in the world are people talking about LoM being a joker? We have the role list in front of us. There's no joker.
StefanB
StefanB
Mafia Scum
StefanB
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #44 (ISO) » Sat Jul 16, 2011 5:42 am

Post by StefanB »

Tajun: Good explanation, you know it can be days before we hear of AndroidDreams, it can be that he will be replaced. So you are voting someone that is perhaps never going to read it. How is that useful? He won't come runing in, if you call and vote him.

Demyz: (Yes right that time) I don't think they mean it in a rolesense more in a personality sense...
Demyx
Demyx
Goon
Demyx
Goon
Goon

Post Post #45 (ISO) » Sat Jul 16, 2011 5:50 am

Post by Demyx »

Sometimes lurkers do respond if they're called out, actually. It's not an invalid reason, especially for a Day One semi-random vote.
forehead7
forehead7
Goon
forehead7
Goon
Goon

Post Post #46 (ISO) » Sat Jul 16, 2011 6:44 am

Post by forehead7 »

haoala wrote:forehead7, you seem to have played with LOM before. What's your take on his behaviour right now? Scummy or innocent?

Pretty standard to be honest. He lacks common sense. In one of our games, he quoted someone and then changed what the person said to make that person look dirty, eventhough both of them were innocents.

This question will make me seem dirty but I feel I need to ask it, how do the mafia communicate off-thread? Is it a PM conversation with all of them in it or is there a private board for them?
StefanB
StefanB
Mafia Scum
StefanB
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #47 (ISO) » Sat Jul 16, 2011 8:39 am

Post by StefanB »

forehead: Nothing of this. It's a quicktopic on this side: http://www.quicktopic.com, given to them by the mod. Normally (Always in newbiegames) they are only allowed to talk in the night there.
Why do you need to know this?
Tajun
Tajun
Goon
Tajun
Goon
Goon

Post Post #48 (ISO) » Sat Jul 16, 2011 8:51 am

Post by Tajun »

@Demyx: By "Joker" I meant someone who is just here to joke around and not really interested in the game at all. I don't think there is a Joker role at all (Jester is the closest thing I can find, and we don't have one of those either).

@StefanB: I figure there are three possibilities for AndroidDreams: Either he's
1) Inactive, because he can't access the game or has lost interest. In this case my vote is useless and he will either activate or be replaced.
2) Townie who is watching, but not participating, in which case hopefully he will notice the attention and get involved or
3) Scum, who is lurking, in which case I would like to take the option of hiding away from him.

In cases 2 or 3, my vote is beneficial to the town.
forehead7
forehead7
Goon
forehead7
Goon
Goon

Post Post #49 (ISO) » Sat Jul 16, 2011 9:13 am

Post by forehead7 »

StefanB wrote:forehead: Nothing of this. It's a quicktopic on this side: http://www.quicktopic.com, given to them by the mod. Normally (Always in newbiegames) they are only allowed to talk in the night there.
Why do you need to know this?

Just curious. On the board that LOM and I play on it's a PM conversation that everyone's added to. On View Askew the game runner makes a Pro Board and then discussion ensues.

I know it'll make me seem dirty, like I'm trying to deflect attention as obviously the mafia would know but I was genuinely interested in which way this board uses.

Return to “The Road to Rome [Newbie Games]”