The MafiaScum Minecraft Thread - AllTheMods 9!!! - NEW Vanilla?

This forum is specifically for discussing non-Mafia games
(board, card, video, we're not picky)
Playing
such games should happen in the Mish Mash forum, of course.

New Vanilla Server?

Yes, on latest stable version; with fun events & mini-games!
33%
Yes, on latest stable version; for consistency & community! (no plugins)
33%
Yes, on "snapshots"/development versions; bleeding edge! (definitely no plugins)
No votes
Yes, with Spigot/Bukkit/server "plugins" (or commands like /tpa, /home, etc.)
33%
Yes, but I'll post with my specific thoughts and ideas!
No votes

Total votes: 9

Fishythefish
Fishythefish
Mafia Scum
Fishythefish
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #14275 (ISO) » Sun Jun 23, 2013 9:02 pm

Post by Fishythefish »

For vanilla people: we now have an arrow/bones farm. Go down the water shaft at -273, 195 (in water very near spawntown). At some point I'll make the farm itself more beautiful, and add a proper entrance.
Maestro
Maestro
They/Them/Any
Jack of All Trades
Maestro
They/Them/Any
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: They/Them/Any

Post Post #14276 (ISO) » Sun Jun 23, 2013 9:04 pm

Post by Maestro »

if I hear anything from certain individuals about server downtime I'll gladly show those individuals the 4-hour-long dynmap deletion that is currently ongoing. we're either moving to a lowres version of dynmap or we're removing it, because this is a HUGE waste of memory and time on something people barely even use. and all most people do when they do use it is gripe about the lack of a dynmap/IRC bridge which isn't really a priority ATM and probably never will be

Klaz and I are REALLY tempted to remove dynmap - if anybody has sever separation anxiety or has thoughts they should share them

P-Edit: Fishy ILU welcome back and stuff <3
Fishythefish
Fishythefish
Mafia Scum
Fishythefish
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #14277 (ISO) » Sun Jun 23, 2013 9:17 pm

Post by Fishythefish »

Thanks! At some point I might get around to trying out FTB. BTW, does vanilla still have dynmap or is that gone?
Tierce
Tierce
Cache Me If You Can
Tierce
Cache Me If You Can
Cache Me If You Can

Post Post #14278 (ISO) » Sun Jun 23, 2013 9:45 pm

Post by Tierce »

It's gone, vanilla is running snapshots.
EspeciallyTheLies
EspeciallyTheLies
Survivor
EspeciallyTheLies
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #14279 (ISO) » Sun Jun 23, 2013 11:03 pm

Post by EspeciallyTheLies »

I really, realy, really like dnmap and use it all the time, rspecially now that i've haf no access to ftb.
Art is cool.
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #14280 (ISO) » Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:20 am

Post by Rhinox »

In post 14276, Maestro wrote:if I hear anything from certain individuals about server downtime I'll gladly show those individuals the 4-hour-long dynmap deletion that is currently ongoing. we're either moving to a lowres version of dynmap or we're removing it, because this is a HUGE waste of memory and time on something people barely even use. and all most people do when they do use it is gripe about the lack of a dynmap/IRC bridge which isn't really a priority ATM and probably never will be

Klaz and I are REALLY tempted to remove dynmap - if anybody has sever separation anxiety or has thoughts they should share them
In post 14279, EspeciallyTheLies wrote:I really, realy, really like dnmap and use it all the time, rspecially now that i've haf no access to ftb.
I use dynmap all the time. I generally always have it open while I'm playing. Its extremely useful to tell where un-generated chunks are, which is useful for avoiding generating new chunks (most cases), or to explore new area if there's something I'm looking for (useful to explore new chunks in a systematic way so as to not explore more than needed). I use it for navigating as well, if there is a biome I'm looking for specifically for some resource, or to know how to find someone's place (I don't have waypoints to everyone). I use it to see where people are and what they're working on. I like looking at peoples structures on the dynmap even if all the blocks don't have a texture. Also, IRC is blocked by my work network and my phone is unreliable in the factory, so dynmap is the only way I am able to communicate with people playing on the server for roughly 50hrs per week.

Basically, I've gotten pretty used to playing with dynmap and I'd have to change the way I play if it were to be no more, and I'd be somewhat more disconnected from the community. That being said, the 3D res can probably easily by dialed back a couple clicks. I recall it zooming it more than practical most of the time, while the 2D felt about right. Really though, if I had the choice between way scaled back, or no dynmap at all, I'd still choose way scaled back for the navigation and locating of un-generated chunks, while zooming in is only really useful for viewing structures which is already limited due to not every block having dynmap textures.

tl;dr: please don't take away dynmap completely
Maestro
Maestro
They/Them/Any
Jack of All Trades
Maestro
They/Them/Any
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #14281 (ISO) » Mon Jun 24, 2013 5:36 am

Post by Maestro »

I'm not seeing how this is possible...but the deletion is still going on, guys

I have no idea when it will be done either
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #14282 (ISO) » Mon Jun 24, 2013 5:38 am

Post by Rhinox »

/inb4 M missed clicking yes on the "are you sure you want to permanently delete 15,432,524 files" dialog box hidden behind another window :P
Maestro
Maestro
They/Them/Any
Jack of All Trades
Maestro
They/Them/Any
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #14283 (ISO) » Mon Jun 24, 2013 5:41 am

Post by Maestro »

that's exactly what I clicked yes to - I said that no matter what we're deleting all dynmap renders and switching to lowres, but I didn't realize it would take a full 20 hours to delete them all. I mean, I know that at some point while I was sleeping my connection got cut or something, but this has still been going for at least 10 hours now and I actually don't see any significant progress...
Maestro
Maestro
They/Them/Any
Jack of All Trades
Maestro
They/Them/Any
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #14284 (ISO) » Mon Jun 24, 2013 5:44 am

Post by Maestro »

In post 14277, Fishythefish wrote:Thanks! At some point I might get around to trying out FTB. BTW, does vanilla still have dynmap or is that gone?
yeah, as Tierce said - we're running the lastest snapshot now so that we can keep Vanilla bleeding edge while all this Redstone shit is sorted out. a lot of Mods and plugins may break with 1.6 too, so we may eventually have Bukkit on there again, but not for the foreseeable future
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #14285 (ISO) » Mon Jun 24, 2013 5:57 am

Post by Rhinox »

In post 14283, Maestro wrote:that's exactly what I clicked yes to - I said that no matter what we're deleting all dynmap renders and switching to lowres, but I didn't realize it would take a full 20 hours to delete them all. I mean, I know that at some point while I was sleeping my connection got cut or something, but this has still been going for at least 10 hours now and I actually don't see any significant progress...
Just spitballing a couple of ideas...

If I click on my dynmap shortcut I go to a page that loads a black screen. When the dynmap has been down in the past, I'd get a straight "Page not found" error - is it possible its having trouble deleting stuff because something is still running?

If it stopped making progress, would it be worth cancelling and restarting? everything it already deleted
should
still be deleted right? I know if I do a move operation and cancel half way through, whatever was already moved stayed moved. Same with a copy - if I cancel half way through, whatever was copied was copied. Delete should work the same right? Maybe that would get it going again if it hung up when you lost your connection?
fuzzybutternut
fuzzybutternut
Jack of All Trades
fuzzybutternut
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #14286 (ISO) » Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:09 am

Post by fuzzybutternut »

They're currently downgrading it right now, Rhinox. :P
There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so.
GTKAFuzzy! Come ask me questions. :D
Come play
modded
Minecraft!
Maestro
Maestro
They/Them/Any
Jack of All Trades
Maestro
They/Them/Any
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #14287 (ISO) » Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:24 am

Post by Maestro »

In post 14285, Rhinox wrote:
In post 14283, Maestro wrote:that's exactly what I clicked yes to - I said that no matter what we're deleting all dynmap renders and switching to lowres, but I didn't realize it would take a full 20 hours to delete them all. I mean, I know that at some point while I was sleeping my connection got cut or something, but this has still been going for at least 10 hours now and I actually don't see any significant progress...
Just spitballing a couple of ideas...

If I click on my dynmap shortcut I go to a page that loads a black screen. When the dynmap has been down in the past, I'd get a straight "Page not found" error - is it possible its having trouble deleting stuff because something is still running?

If it stopped making progress, would it be worth cancelling and restarting? everything it already deleted
should
still be deleted right? I know if I do a move operation and cancel half way through, whatever was already moved stayed moved. Same with a copy - if I cancel half way through, whatever was copied was copied. Delete should work the same right? Maybe that would get it going again if it hung up when you lost your connection?
Nothing's running - I'm backing up/gutting/deleting shit from FTBBot as we speak
and I actually get the "page not found" error you speak of... :P
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #14288 (ISO) » Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:25 am

Post by Rhinox »

Hey guys so... while we're waiting for the server I was wondering if you guys can give me some ideas for how to turn spawners into grinders for items? I found a zombie/spider double dungeon in the cave system under my base and I have a skellie spawner to add to it. I'd really like to make a grinder out of 'em but I've never done it before. Any tips for me? I'd like for it to automatically deposit items into storage for me, so that as long as I'm working at my base the grinder will be running collecting items for me.
fuzzybutternut
fuzzybutternut
Jack of All Trades
fuzzybutternut
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #14289 (ISO) » Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:29 am

Post by fuzzybutternut »

Klaz knows all about grinders. :P As him. x)

I personally can't design one to save my life.
There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so.
GTKAFuzzy! Come ask me questions. :D
Come play
modded
Minecraft!
EspeciallyTheLies
EspeciallyTheLies
Survivor
EspeciallyTheLies
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #14290 (ISO) » Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:29 am

I know how to build that!

I have a design that is pretty compact for killing. I think you need, 2D, 9x14 or 9x18 with the spawner(s) in the middle.
Art is cool.
EspeciallyTheLies
EspeciallyTheLies
Survivor
EspeciallyTheLies
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #14291 (ISO) » Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:33 am

No need for long drops anything, passive killing so no exp, but builds up pretty quickly when you're in the area.

Also, it can be set up for both passive and xp grinding, so when you feel like having xp, you can. And drops are safe, meaning no cactus or lava involved.
Art is cool.
Klazam
Klazam
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Klazam
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #14292 (ISO) » Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:45 am

Post by Klazam »

mfrl grinder

melee turtles

2 great options
EspeciallyTheLies
EspeciallyTheLies
Survivor
EspeciallyTheLies
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #14293 (ISO) » Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:47 am

Or that fancy shit. ^^^

:P
Art is cool.
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #14294 (ISO) » Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:49 am

Post by Rhinox »

klaz: any vanilla ideas? I don't have turtles or mfrl grinders, and i'm not sure I want to invest the time crafting and learning them now when I'm still trying to invest time and resources into other things.

etl: care to share your method or just tease me with it? :P
Klazam
Klazam
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Klazam
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #14295 (ISO) » Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:54 am

Post by Klazam »

for vanilla- I much prefer my drop grinder- make a vertical 1x1 shaft up 23 blocks, then a little horzional, then a drop of 23 blocks.

have water pushing all mobs in the vertical shaft, then have sign at bottom of that, then water, then sign, then water and so on. make sure water doesn't spill out in main room- use signs to prevent that.

mobs will be tricked on thinking they're drowning and swim upwards to the top of the shaft, where water pushes them to the drop. and since there's a sign blocking water going down, the mobs will just fall down and land at .5 heart or die. if you want auto death, just have the drop be 24 blocks, and put obsidan pipe at the base to collect all drops and put in a chest.
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #14296 (ISO) » Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:03 am

Post by Rhinox »

That will work for the skellies and zombies... what about the spiders? they won't fit in 1x1 holes.
Klazam
Klazam
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Klazam
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #14297 (ISO) » Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:08 am

Post by Klazam »

break the spider spawner.

or you can use the grinder I have in vanilla. go in my house and in the enchanting room. look in basement.

tL;dr: spiders sux
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #14298 (ISO) » Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:12 am

Post by Rhinox »

but I need sting and this modpack no haz flax :(
izakthegoomba
izakthegoomba
Mafia Scum
izakthegoomba
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #14299 (ISO) » Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:13 am

Post by izakthegoomba »

Yeah, it's damn near impossible to make a good "fat spider" farm. Believe me, I've tried - they're so inefficient they're only good if you're playing UHC or something and you really need an XP farm. Cave Spiders are a bit better, but still only worthwhile if you can get a bunch of them together.
(Mostly) on hiatus until further notice. Planet MafiaScum 2 will be modded by Inspi and JDGA - go check it out!

Return to “The Arcade”