Polymath
implosion
he/him
Polymath
Polymath
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #75 (ISO) » Wed Dec 22, 2010 6:59 pm

Post by implosion »

I suspect that if it can be passed during the day, it qualifies as "nonstandard."
quadz08
quadz08
Jack of All Trades
quadz08
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #76 (ISO) » Wed Dec 22, 2010 7:00 pm

Post by quadz08 »

The Eruci wrote:[*]Any Anti-Town Faction existing within this game may not pass a
standard ability
to any of their partners, if any partners exist within the game.
Nonstandard abilities may exist in the game.
I'd be willing to bet that the potato counts as a nonstandard ability.

PREVIEW EDIT: Ninja'd by implosion.
Current Avatar: Kronk. Duh.
Parama
Parama
Survivor
Parama
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #77 (ISO) » Wed Dec 22, 2010 7:06 pm

Post by Parama »

The virus can be passed between factions, sorry. The mod actually had to clarify that for me.
Show
Ever wanted a playlist full of a lot of music I really dig? Here you go.

RateYourMusic page because song contests are like the only reason I'm still here.

GET TO KNOW ME

I basically post like I'm always on twitter, ignore my spamminess.
quadz08
quadz08
Jack of All Trades
quadz08
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #78 (ISO) » Wed Dec 22, 2010 7:07 pm

Post by quadz08 »

VOTE: Parama

Scumslip, much?
Parama
Parama
Survivor
Parama
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #79 (ISO) » Wed Dec 22, 2010 7:10 pm

Post by Parama »

...no?
Show

RateYourMusic page because song contests are like the only reason I'm still here.

GET TO KNOW ME

chkflip
chkflip
Stand Up Guy
chkflip
Stand Up Guy
Stand Up Guy

Post Post #80 (ISO) » Wed Dec 22, 2010 7:33 pm

Post by chkflip »

LOL'd!
"Fuck you. I opened up my heart to you and you stabbed it a thousand times." - Gamma, to me, right before confessing to being the town vig and murdering my scum partner N1.
EtherealCookie
EtherealCookie
Goon
EtherealCookie
Goon
Goon

Post Post #81 (ISO) » Wed Dec 22, 2010 7:47 pm

Post by EtherealCookie »

Lol?
Narsis
Narsis
Goon
Narsis
Goon
Goon

Post Post #82 (ISO) » Wed Dec 22, 2010 7:54 pm

Post by Narsis »

quadz08 wrote:VOTE: Parama

Scumslip, much?
i dont think so. it's a question i myself would ask the mod simply because i can use it as a game breaking strategy depending on the answer. so it is a null point imo.
Record:
Town: 1W/3L

Mafia: 1W/0L

Other: 0W/0L
quadz08
quadz08
Jack of All Trades
quadz08
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #83 (ISO) » Wed Dec 22, 2010 8:11 pm

Post by quadz08 »

I was hoping I would get a legit explanation from Parama, actually.
RedCoyote
RedCoyote
Jack of All Trades
RedCoyote
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #84 (ISO) » Wed Dec 22, 2010 8:49 pm

Post by RedCoyote »

WC 27 wrote:#1: Hi guys, I'm new here, so forgive me if I don't know the meta or joke-phase protocal, so...
#2: I'll skip right over joke-phase and get down to business. So did Implosion just suggest we give every anti-town role to the person we find scummiest? With the Vig factor in or not, this is a HUGE gamble and bound to be detrimental to the town.
#3: It's gonna take me a bit to wrap my head around all the new names here, so bare with me.
1.) Hi, WC. Welcome to MS!
2.) I don't much care for the plan either, so I'm with you here. In theory I like the idea of getting rid of abilities, but I don't like the idea of having to mass claim and completely tell the scum team/s our night action plans.
3.) No worries. It's a pretty big website, relatively speaking. Most of us in this game haven't played with each other. If you look around the playerlist, you'll see a few other names with join dates similar to yours.

---
Mod 28 wrote:
Due to this being the holiday season, I am postponing instating a deadline until after the beginning of January. Please note that many people may be V/LA over the next week.
Understood. This is probably for the best.

---
pops 29 wrote:Please do not reveal your role unless it's best for the town. Please don't get into the "omg funyay normal game IMJESTER ojk but I dont have a trackin ability I pinkyswear MAWFIA IS FUN" mode that I see people do in large games.
This. This. This. This. This.

---
implosion 31 wrote:I have a treestump ability. For today, I'm voteless and can't be lynched. I'm worried that if this survives to lylo, it could screw everything up if a townie has it. Or if a mafia member has it for that matter. However, mafia having it for one day wouldn't really affect anything.
While I believe you most likely have this ability, I don't think this speaks to your alignment whatsoever.

I don't understand why you automatically believe that this can't help the town though? Why can't you just pass it to the player you find most townie? This is very odd, implosion. I figured your ability was more along the lines of a suicide-bomber like thing, where, statistically, you'd probably end up killing yourself and another townie if you used it.

It's not a great ability, but I don't think it's uniformly anti-town. I can understand your point of view though, I think we just have an honest political disagreement over the power.

---
pops 32 wrote:Figuring out how to create advantage within the setup is part of theme games, even normal games somewhat. Where's the spirit? You keep mentioning vague "bad things will happen, for sure, i just don't know what they are or why they will happen", and that's your only argument.
There's a fine line between successful planning and showing your hand.
pops 43 wrote:Vote: implosion. No harm in confirming this.
Well, we'll lose a lynch.
pops 48 wrote:@muh: Look on the back of the potato, it says "come play mafia with me". Make some real posts.
Lol.
pops 52 wrote:I'm thinking maybe we ought to remove implosion's ability from the game. If you're town, please argue for or against that without appeals to fear, mkay?
I have no strong opinion either way. I don't think it's uniformly anti-town. It can be used beneficially. implosion and you are thinking too far ahead, imo. The cyclical mechanic and likely multiple kills will eventually catch up with most of the abilities, most likely. This just isn't a priority thing to worry about. As in most good mafia games, the only thing I'm concerned with right now is catching scum, not overanalyzing our powers.

---
MoI 53 wrote:
How the cycling abilities will be handled -

D2 all players who survived and passed on abilities N1 should claim that they passed an ability, only revealing what that ability was if it gave them a Pro-Town result (like a guilty on someone). They are not to claim who they passed it to.

D3 all players still alive who passed abilities N1 claim who they passed them to. Then said players confirm / deny that they received an ability Day 2 that they passed on N2. They also reveal any useful results.

Lather rinse repeat each Day cycle. And continue to lynch scum.
I can support this, if only because it will kind of stop us from going on too much about the whole "what to do" aspect and focus our efforts on the actual game. It's efficient.

---
Power 73 wrote:While this sounds good, what if X has other reasons to not pass the ability to Y?
I think he's implying more along the lines of a town-controlled "you pass it to Y or face the consequences".
EtherealCookie
EtherealCookie
Goon
EtherealCookie
Goon
Goon

Post Post #85 (ISO) » Wed Dec 22, 2010 8:58 pm

Post by EtherealCookie »

Red Coyote, once again, I'd like to point out that passing the abilities to a scummy player would not be detrimental as we can simply lynch the person D2. He will have no time to use his abilities.
RedCoyote
RedCoyote
Jack of All Trades
RedCoyote
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #86 (ISO) » Wed Dec 22, 2010 9:14 pm

Post by RedCoyote »

MoI's plan sounds more efficient and reasonable than "give all the bad abilities to a scummy player". As we just saw with implosion, it's kind of subjective whether these abilities are bad or not.
AntB
AntB
Mafia Scum
AntB
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #87 (ISO) » Wed Dec 22, 2010 11:49 pm

Post by AntB »

Currently I'm not liking Muh, a couple of posts and no content; I'm also not liking quadz based on his "scumslip" vote on paramas nulltell.

I'm not too keen on the idea of a massclaim early on, however removing anti-town abilities early on could prove beneficial then the scum would be left guessing as to what is in game and where...

Also the spud has a "time limit" of X amount of posts for those who missed it... I would guess that the trigger is around 150~250 posts.
Show
:doc: I shall protect you!! :doc: ... why do I smell of vanilla..?

"tickle" - Haylen is now thinking of Mayonnaise

G+
AntB - My wiki page. Usually up to date.
I Am Innocent
I Am Innocent
Jack of All Trades
I Am Innocent
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #88 (ISO) » Thu Dec 23, 2010 12:02 am

Post by I Am Innocent »

popsofctown wrote:anyway, there's the antitown role isn't nearly as bad as i thought it was.

The cycling mechanic alleviates most of the pain in an endgame situation. You cycle treestump to the guy you dont feel like lynching. He'll be unlynchable. Oh, unlynchable doesn't matter because you refuse to vote for him and it's hard to get votes in endgames. You guys go lynch scum if it's anything but LyLo.
But wouldn't it make it LyLo happen sooner (instead of 2 town vs 1 mafia, you would need 3 town vs 1 mafia since one town would be rendered useless).

I do not see the problem with implosion outting this, as he said, suspicion would have likely come his way as he cast no votes D1.

Consider me in the group that would like to see this thing go bye-bye.
Show
Town 21-21-1
Mafia 10-6

Replaced Out (Town) 1-5
Replaced Out (Mafia) 3-2 (incl hydra game with Nero where I flaked)

Ongoing
None
I Am Innocent
I Am Innocent
Jack of All Trades
I Am Innocent
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #89 (ISO) » Thu Dec 23, 2010 12:10 am

Post by I Am Innocent »

popsofctown wrote:ok.

Real posts, when i use the term at least, are posts that move you towards your wincon substantially, and make you a readable player. Scum want to be unreadable, and are more likely to post one liners like you are doing.

What are the risks of trying to kill implosion's ability? Is the worst case scenario really a mafia doc saving the guy? A vigilante would miss getting a kill that night, but he wasn't guaranteed to shoot correctly anyhow. While this treestump ability makes us autolose LyLo, so it is the equivalent of an entire player, guaranteed.

I'm thinking maybe we ought to remove implosion's ability from the game. If you're town, please argue for or against that without appeals to fear, mkay?
Reading chronologically here, so my bad if some of these points have already been brought up.

The danger with thing seems to be near endgame. My proposition, everybody who has it states it each day. That person chooses who to send it to and then tells the group before hand. So each day/night, we will know as a group where this thing is. When a vig has someone he/she thinks is scum with the tree stump, they can kill at that time.

So I don't think we benefit from selecting now and letting scum know when it happens. I think over the course of the next few days, let a vig decide when he thinks it is best to dispose of it, with as you said, an anti-town player.

That is my initial thoughts, I'll read on to see what everyone else comes up with.
Show
Town 21-21-1
Mafia 10-6

Replaced Out (Town) 1-5

Ongoing
None
I Am Innocent
I Am Innocent
Jack of All Trades
I Am Innocent
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #90 (ISO) » Thu Dec 23, 2010 12:32 am

Post by I Am Innocent »

The Eruci wrote:[*]If a person with an ability is killed at any point in the game, that ability is removed from gameplay.
[*]Action Resolution follows a simplified Natural Action Resolution, with the Cycling Choice Action appended to the the end of the list. Meaning abilities will be passed after Kills resolve.[/list]
All caught up and think I am starting to understand this better.

I revise my earlier post based on MoI's post and the rules here. No point for the holder of the tree stump to tell who he is sending it to beforehand, and kills during the night phase happen prior to the handoff.

Being that the tree stump is not a really pro-town role, claims on who it was sent to should be made the following day. Of course the lack of voting would also give it away...
Show
Town 21-21-1
Mafia 10-6

Replaced Out (Town) 1-5

Ongoing
None
I Am Innocent
I Am Innocent
Jack of All Trades
I Am Innocent
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #91 (ISO) » Thu Dec 23, 2010 12:34 am

Post by I Am Innocent »

AntB wrote:Currently I'm not liking Muh, a couple of posts and no content; I'm also not liking quadz based on his "scumslip" vote on paramas nulltell.

I'm not too keen on the idea of a massclaim early on, however removing anti-town abilities early on could prove beneficial then the scum would be left guessing as to what is in game and where...

Also the spud has a "time limit" of X amount of posts for those who missed it... I would guess that the trigger is around 150~250 posts.
Oh and something about this post just didn't sit well with me...
Show
Town 21-21-1
Mafia 10-6

Replaced Out (Town) 1-5

Ongoing
None
Helghast
Helghast
Townie
Helghast
Townie
Townie

Post Post #92 (ISO) » Thu Dec 23, 2010 1:03 am

Post by Helghast »

I Am Innocent wrote:
AntB wrote:Currently I'm not liking Muh, a couple of posts and no content; I'm also not liking quadz based on his "scumslip" vote on paramas nulltell.

Oh and something about this post just didn't sit well with me...
Your name doesn't sit well with me...
:D
curiouskarmadog
curiouskarmadog
This Space for Rant
curiouskarmadog
This Space for Rant
This Space for Rant

Post Post #93 (ISO) » Thu Dec 23, 2010 3:06 am

Post by curiouskarmadog »

Parama wrote:The virus can be passed between factions, sorry. The mod actually had to clarify that for me.
well shit...nevermind. well it would have been awesome.
NO YOU'RE OVER DEFENSIVE
The Eruci
The Eruci
Goon
The Eruci
Goon
Goon

Post Post #94 (ISO) » Thu Dec 23, 2010 3:21 am

Post by The Eruci »

:: VoteCount 1x1 ::

LynchMePls (2) -
Narsis, muh316

RedCoyote (0) -

MagnaOfIllusion (0) -

themanhimself (1) -
chkflip

TheLonging (0) -

WrathChild (0) -

curiouskarmadog (0) -

Helghast (1) -
RedCoyote

Powerrox93 (0) -

quadz08 (0) -

chkflip (1) -
themanhimself

Nero Cain (0) -

Narsis (0) -

AntB (1) -
curiouskarmadog

q21 (0) -

diddin (0) -

muh316 (1) -
MagnaOfIllusion

popsofctown (0) -

danGR (0) -

I Am Innocent (1) -
q21

UnofficialRulerOfEveryone (2) -
Nero Cain, WrathChild

Parama (2) -
EtherealCookie, quadz08

Implosion (1) -
popsofctown

EtherealCookie (1) -
AntB

Saint (1) -
I Am Innocent

Not Voting (10) -
LynchMePls, TheLonging, Helghast, Powerrox93, implosion, diddin, danGR, UnofficialRulerOfEveryone, Parama, Saint

With 25 Alive, it takes 13 to lynch.
Cyclic Experimentation Set x02.

Equality is a perversion of the natural order!It binds the strong to the weak. They [the weak] become anchors that drag the exceptional down to mediocrity. Individuals destined and deserving of greatness have it denied them. They [the strong] suffer for the sake of keeping them even with their inferiors.
Parama
Parama
Survivor
Parama
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #95 (ISO) » Thu Dec 23, 2010 3:42 am

Post by Parama »

quadz08 wrote:I was hoping I would get a legit explanation from Parama, actually.
Here it is:
The mod saw >9000 people asking me about the virus.
So he rewrote the role's properties and sent this new description to me. I didn't even ask for it but whatever :roll: I see no reason to vote muh seeing as he currently has the bomb (I think?)
Show

GET TO KNOW ME

The Eruci
The Eruci
Goon
The Eruci
Goon
Goon

Post Post #96 (ISO) » Thu Dec 23, 2010 4:10 am

Post by The Eruci »

MagnaOfIllusion wrote:
MOD - Can role-blocking / redirection abilities affect the actual hand-off of powers?
If any ability were to affect the hand-off of powers, it would specify that it affects cycling choices (which is the term I use to designate the hand-off of powers) specifically.
Cyclic Experimentation Set x02.

Equality is a perversion of the natural order!It binds the strong to the weak. They [the weak] become anchors that drag the exceptional down to mediocrity. Individuals destined and deserving of greatness have it denied them. They [the strong] suffer for the sake of keeping them even with their inferiors.
LimMePls
LimMePls
Mafia Scum
LimMePls
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #97 (ISO) » Thu Dec 23, 2010 4:13 am

Post by LimMePls »

I PM'ed the mod earlier, but just so the thread knows, I'm V/LA for the next week for holiday activities. I will be checking the thread, but not frequently.
"LynchMePls is more town than all the players I've ever declared to be townies. And that's never going to change." - Drippereth

V/LA on weekends
Powerrox93
Powerrox93
Goon
Powerrox93
Goon
Goon

Post Post #98 (ISO) » Thu Dec 23, 2010 4:19 am

Post by Powerrox93 »

RedCoyote wrote:I think he's implying more along the lines of a town-controlled "you pass it to Y or face the consequences".
And by angeling it that way, X gets a chance of saying why he didn't passed it to Y in his defense-speech

Reminder (Not sure if I've said this in this thread):
I'm V/LA 26-28 December. Will have chances of reading/posting, but less then average
Hoping to make a comeback to mafia soon...

popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: She

Post Post #99 (ISO) » Thu Dec 23, 2010 5:27 am

Post by popsofctown »

Parama wrote:
quadz08 wrote:I was hoping I would get a legit explanation from Parama, actually.
Here it is:
The mod saw >9000 people asking me about the virus.
So he rewrote the role's properties and sent this new description to me. I didn't even ask for it but whatever :roll: I see no reason to vote muh seeing as he currently has the bomb (I think?)
Parama wrote:The virus can be passed between factions, sorry. The mod actually had to clarify that for me.
I definitely have my eye on you now. You declined an opportunity to explain the first time, possibly hoping it blows over, at the worst.

And if the mod rewrote the role's properties and resent them to you, it seems unlikely that you would say the "mod had to clarify it for me". "the mod actually had to clarify" seems like the way I would naturally phrase that, since the rewritten role would be the new role for EVERYONE, not just you, and the rewrite would affect you the least if you were town.
"Let us say that you are right and there are two worlds. How much, then, is this 'other world' worth to you? What do you have there that you do not have here? Money? Power? Something worth causing the prince so much pain for?'"
"Well, I..."
"What? Nothing? You would make the prince suffer over... nothing?"

Return to “Completed Large Theme Games”