Parama
Parama
Survivor
Parama
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #50 (ISO) » Wed Dec 22, 2010 3:45 pm

Post by Parama »

Yeah I gave you that, like I already said. That you don't know who had it originally even though I SAID IT SEVERAL TIMES shows that you're not reading which means that you were a great pick to send the virus to.
Show
Ever wanted a playlist full of a lot of music I really dig? Here you go.

RateYourMusic page because song contests are like the only reason I'm still here.

GET TO KNOW ME

I basically post like I'm always on twitter, ignore my spamminess.
implosion
implosion
he/him
Polymath
implosion
he/him
Polymath
Polymath
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #51 (ISO) » Wed Dec 22, 2010 3:55 pm

Post by implosion »

[insert joke about how somebody set us up the bomb]

@pops, IDK if that's how they're usually handled. I'd think so, but I know that's how the treestump works in this game.
popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: She

Post Post #52 (ISO) » Wed Dec 22, 2010 4:01 pm

Post by popsofctown »

ok.

Real posts, when i use the term at least, are posts that move you towards your wincon substantially, and make you a readable player. Scum want to be unreadable, and are more likely to post one liners like you are doing.

What are the risks of trying to kill implosion's ability? Is the worst case scenario really a mafia doc saving the guy? A vigilante would miss getting a kill that night, but he wasn't guaranteed to shoot correctly anyhow. While this treestump ability makes us autolose LyLo, so it is the equivalent of an entire player, guaranteed.

I'm thinking maybe we ought to remove implosion's ability from the game. If you're town, please argue for or against that without appeals to fear, mkay?
"Let us say that you are right and there are two worlds. How much, then, is this 'other world' worth to you? What do you have there that you do not have here? Money? Power? Something worth causing the prince so much pain for?'"
"Well, I..."
"What? Nothing? You would make the prince suffer over... nothing?"
MagnaofIllusion
MagnaofIllusion
has been killed Night 1
MagnaofIllusion
has been killed Night 1
has been killed Night 1

Post Post #53 (ISO) » Wed Dec 22, 2010 4:31 pm

Post by MagnaofIllusion »

Greetings to those of you I’ve played with in the past.

First order of business –

@MOD
– I didn’t see it specifically addressed in the rules so I apologize if it was

Were the passable powers randomly sent out irrelevant of alignment as the Vig mechanic was in 1040?

Second order of business -

Specifically getting rid of passable abilities early on is not good play. I can explain why if you really need the insight. If you don’t understand first read Mini 1040. And think about how the mechanic works.

How the cycling abilities will be handled -

D2 all players who survived and passed on abilities N1 should claim that they passed an ability, only revealing what that ability was if it gave them a Pro-Town result (like a guilty on someone). They are not to claim who they passed it to.

D3 all players still alive who passed abilities N1 claim who they passed them to. Then said players confirm / deny that they received an ability Day 2 that they passed on N2. They also reveal any useful results.

Lather rinse repeat each Day cycle. And continue to lynch scum.
Helghast wrote:Parama does it kill the person?
Why are you so focused on whether it kills or not?
Pops wrote:I only briefly considered the possibility of doing this to a townie, it definitely should be passed to an antitown player, who should subsequently be removed from the game along with those bad abilities.
Aren't you folks trying to win?
While saddling a scummy player with an Anti-Town ability that is dangerous in the endgame and then killing them before it can be passed is a good strategy for late game it’s very bad early. For obvious reasons.
muh wrote:I'm actually serious. Somebody just gave me a bomb.
And you have no idea who that is?

VOTE: Muh316
"I am a leaf on the wind ... watch how I soar!"

Pretty much Geriatric game restricted at this point ... unless there are players I REALLY want to play with.
curiouskarmadog
curiouskarmadog
This Space for Rant
curiouskarmadog
This Space for Rant
This Space for Rant

Post Post #54 (ISO) » Wed Dec 22, 2010 4:34 pm

Post by curiouskarmadog »

Parama wrote:Yeah I gave you that, like I already said. That you don't know who had it originally even though I SAID IT SEVERAL TIMES
shows that you're not readi
ng which means that you were a great pick to send the virus to.
had a question directed to you
NO YOU'RE OVER DEFENSIVE
The Eruci
The Eruci
Goon
The Eruci
Goon
Goon

Post Post #55 (ISO) » Wed Dec 22, 2010 4:34 pm

Post by The Eruci »

Oops, should have remembered to clarify that from the Mini 1040, but yes all powers were sent out to players irrelevant of alignment.
Cyclic Experimentation Set x02.

Equality is a perversion of the natural order!It binds the strong to the weak. They [the weak] become anchors that drag the exceptional down to mediocrity. Individuals destined and deserving of greatness have it denied them. They [the strong] suffer for the sake of keeping them even with their inferiors.
MagnaofIllusion
MagnaofIllusion
has been killed Night 1
MagnaofIllusion
has been killed Night 1
has been killed Night 1

Post Post #56 (ISO) » Wed Dec 22, 2010 4:37 pm

The Eruci wrote:
Oops, should have remembered to clarify that from the Mini 1040, but yes all powers were sent out to players irrelevant of alignment.
Thanks
kunk
The Eruci.

For clarity implosion is not confirmed Town if he does indeed have a Day 1 Power.

Pretty much Geriatric game restricted at this point ... unless there are players I REALLY want to play with.
popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #57 (ISO) » Wed Dec 22, 2010 4:39 pm

Post by popsofctown »

Magna, the stump ability, specifically, is not very bad early. It makes the controller voteless. It's harmless UNTIL endgame.
and im not reading a mini
"Let us say that you are right and there are two worlds. How much, then, is this 'other world' worth to you? What do you have there that you do not have here? Money? Power? Something worth causing the prince so much pain for?'"
"Well, I..."
popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #58 (ISO) » Wed Dec 22, 2010 4:39 pm

Post by popsofctown »

not an entire one, give highlights. Sorry, thought i might have to shorten that because of POS but i dont.
"Well, I..."
MagnaofIllusion
MagnaofIllusion
has been killed Night 1
MagnaofIllusion
has been killed Night 1
has been killed Night 1

Post Post #59 (ISO) » Wed Dec 22, 2010 4:44 pm

popsofctown wrote:not an entire one, give highlights. Sorry, thought i might have to shorten that because of POS but i dont.
If you understand why eliminating Cycling abilities, even if Anti-Town, until later in the game is wise then you don't need highlights.

If you don't I'll wait until CKD has completed his plan before stating why.

popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #60 (ISO) » Wed Dec 22, 2010 4:53 pm

Post by popsofctown »

not seeing it at all really. Chance of a living vig goes down along with the chance of a mafia doc. But I think the chance of a living vig is going to fall more rapidly.

Wait... are you using them to confirm players with that third night thing? I guess I get it, but letting that stump thing stick around seems like playing with fire. Can you start trying to remove it after just one cycle of confirmation?
"Well, I..."
MagnaofIllusion
MagnaofIllusion
has been killed Night 1
MagnaofIllusion
has been killed Night 1
has been killed Night 1

Post Post #61 (ISO) » Wed Dec 22, 2010 4:58 pm

popsofctown wrote: I guess I get it, but letting that stump thing stick around seems like playing with fire. Can you start trying to remove it after just one cycle of confirmation?
Given the importance of how the Cycling mechanic works each ability will provide information. So Anti-Town abilities certainly don't have to stick around much longer than Day 4 I would guess.

quadz08
quadz08
Jack of All Trades
quadz08
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #62 (ISO) » Wed Dec 22, 2010 5:03 pm

Post by quadz08 »

pops wrote:giving the antitown roles to the most antitown player is like giving the Joker a tank. (it isn't though.)
Yes it is.

You give the scummiest player roles that can hurt the town, and he's GOING TO USE THEM TO HURT THE TOWN. Very simple. Yes, it means we can get rid of all of them in one fell swoop, but that's assuming that NONE of the scum got a roleblock, a doctor, a redirector, or anything of that ilk, which I find unlikely.

I do think that getting rid of anti-town roles, including the treestump, is a good idea (obviously); however, I definitely feel it's too risky to attach all the anti-town roles to one player who we find scummy. It might work if we give it to a person who we can agree is NOT mafia, because they wouldn't use it on the town. Of course, that opens up a whole other host of issues. However, I think we should deal with those anti-town roles later; we need to start off with just plain old scumhunting. I can't think of a reason to do anything differently than we would in a normal mafia game, barring some pretty interesting role stuff.

PREVIEW EDIT: I like Magna's idea, with the cycle of confirmation. It seems intelligent, certainly.
Current Avatar: Kronk. Duh.
curiouskarmadog
curiouskarmadog
This Space for Rant
curiouskarmadog
This Space for Rant
This Space for Rant

Post Post #63 (ISO) » Wed Dec 22, 2010 5:05 pm

people are forgetting something in the rules.

PARA ANSWER MY QUESTION!
NO YOU'RE OVER DEFENSIVE
Parama
Parama
Survivor
Parama
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #64 (ISO) » Wed Dec 22, 2010 5:06 pm

Post by Parama »

curiouskarmadog wrote:but before I get into it...Para, your "potato"...how long does the person get to hold before it kills them...AND can it be passed multiple times in a day?
I've kinda answered both these already but
1. Not telling
2. It can be passed whenever the hell someone wants to pass it.
Show

RateYourMusic page because song contests are like the only reason I'm still here.

GET TO KNOW ME

popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #65 (ISO) » Wed Dec 22, 2010 5:15 pm

Post by popsofctown »

quadz08 wrote:
pops wrote:giving the antitown roles to the most antitown player is like giving the Joker a tank. (it isn't though.)
Yes it is.

You give the scummiest player roles that can hurt the town, and he's GOING TO USE THEM TO HURT THE TOWN. Very simple. Yes, it means we can get rid of all of them in one fell swoop, but that's assuming that NONE of the scum got a roleblock, a doctor, a redirector, or anything of that ilk, which I find unlikely.

I do think that getting rid of anti-town roles, including the treestump, is a good idea (obviously); however, I definitely feel it's too risky to attach all the anti-town roles to one player who we find scummy. It might work if we give it to a person who we can agree is NOT mafia, because they wouldn't use it on the town. Of course, that opens up a whole other host of issues. However, I think we should deal with those anti-town roles later; we need to start off with just plain old scumhunting. I can't think of a reason to do anything differently than we would in a normal mafia game, barring some pretty interesting role stuff.

PREVIEW EDIT: I like Magna's idea, with the cycle of confirmation. It seems intelligent, certainly.
well let's skip the argument and just limit it to the treestump. I have a hard time thinking of antitown abilities that are cyclable. Governor maybe. That's the same as stump, safe early on, dangerous late game.
"Well, I..."
popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #66 (ISO) » Wed Dec 22, 2010 5:16 pm

Post by popsofctown »

Parama, can you please remove the red text from your signature? I know it's not the mod colors for this game, but that's what my brain is thinking everytime i scroll past it.
"Well, I..."
implosion
implosion
he/him
Polymath
implosion
he/him
Polymath
Polymath
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #67 (ISO) » Wed Dec 22, 2010 5:29 pm

Post by implosion »

Hm... a thought occurs. Could we perhaps use bad abilities (like the treestump) to test possible mafia partners? Mafia can't pass to mafia of the same faction. So if suspicion arises that X and Y are mafia together, we could test the theory by passing the treestump to X and telling them to pass it to Y. If random person Z gets the treestump ability, then X and Y are mafia together (or Z is lying, which in the treestump's case, can be tested by having them vote someone). Notes: fails epically if mafia happen to have a bus driving ability.

Acutually, come to think of it, if there is an ability that affects the way abilities are passed (i.e. bus driving) it could be bad early and late on, and something like that is decently likely to be present considering how well it would fit with the mechanic.
Parama
Parama
Survivor
Parama
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #68 (ISO) » Wed Dec 22, 2010 5:42 pm

Post by Parama »

popsofctown wrote:Parama, can you please remove the red text from your signature? I know it's not the mod colors for this game, but that's what my brain is thinking everytime i scroll past it.
I'm advertising. Deal with it <_<
Show

GET TO KNOW ME

MagnaofIllusion
MagnaofIllusion
has been killed Night 1
MagnaofIllusion
has been killed Night 1
has been killed Night 1

Post Post #69 (ISO) » Wed Dec 22, 2010 5:46 pm

curiouskarmadog wrote:people are forgetting something in the rules.
If you are inferring the standard versus non-standard powers noted in the rules that is not forgotten but considered a tertiarry issue, IMO.

As to the question of blocking / redirecting abilities based I don't think that is possible to stop a proper hand-off.

Let's check with Mod -

MOD - Can role-blocking / redirection abilities affect the actual hand-off of powers?

Narsis
Narsis
Goon
Narsis
Goon
Goon

Post Post #70 (ISO) » Wed Dec 22, 2010 5:54 pm

Post by Narsis »

let me say that MoI's confirmation strategy is the best town strategy for a game like this.

secondly, i wonder why you guys are all worried about mafia having a bus driver or roleblocking ability. abilities are passed each night, so even if they have such an ability one night, they won't have it again the next night. so in the case of the treestump: do what implosion suggested, but if a town player gets a bus driver ability and the stump wasn't passed to player Y, then simply rinse and repeat the next night.
Record:
Town: 1W/3L

Mafia: 1W/0L

Other: 0W/0L
EtherealCookie
EtherealCookie
Goon
EtherealCookie
Goon
Goon

Post Post #71 (ISO) » Wed Dec 22, 2010 5:59 pm

Post by EtherealCookie »

quadz08 wrote:
Yes it is.

No. I was thinking about this but then realized that scum would have no time to use their ability. After Night 1 ends, they'd have the ability passed to them. Day 2, we lynch the player. Problem solved, ability is out of play as the player is now dead, N2 never commenced for him, so he could never use his abilities, excluding the possibility of them being day abilities. (We probably shouldn't pass those on.) Therefore, we SHOULD pass it onto a scummy player, then lynch him the next day.

As for Magna's idea, I'm somewhat confused as to what the benefits of doing that are. I shall go read Mini 1040. Implosion's idea sounds somewhat useful, but I'm skeptical on how effective it'll really be. If we go with that as a plan, then scum'll be sure to distance themselves away from scumbuddies whatever way possible (not that they already don't) and it'd be difficult to find links. I mean, how many times do we find a pair of players scummy, as opposed to just one player? Not as often, I'd imagine.
chkflip
chkflip
Stand Up Guy
chkflip
Stand Up Guy
Stand Up Guy

Post Post #72 (ISO) » Wed Dec 22, 2010 6:17 pm

Post by chkflip »

lul allyourbasearebelongtous.

VOTE: themanhimself

OMGUS
!~
"Fuck you. I opened up my heart to you and you stabbed it a thousand times." - Gamma, to me, right before confessing to being the town vig and murdering my scum partner N1.
Powerrox93
Powerrox93
Goon
Powerrox93
Goon
Goon

Post Post #73 (ISO) » Wed Dec 22, 2010 6:22 pm

Post by Powerrox93 »

EtherealCookie wrote:Joking aside, I'm confused with the plan of nominating someone scummy and passing all anti-town abilities to him. The scum will see our discussion, and know who we are passing it to. If they have the ability to do so, they can disrupt our plan of killing the player. Furthermore, if we're passing it to whoever seems the most scummy, and they are actually scum, and manage to survive, then we've given them a bunch of anti-town abilities that they'll be able to use. We could end up severely screwing ourselves over. Why would we want to do something like that?
True, scum controlling anti-town abilities later in the game won't help the town
implosion wrote:Hm... a thought occurs. Could we perhaps use bad abilities (like the treestump) to test possible mafia partners? Mafia can't pass to mafia of the same faction. So if suspicion arises that X and Y are mafia together, we could test the theory by passing the treestump to X and telling them to pass it to Y. If random person Z gets the treestump ability, then X and Y are mafia together (or Z is lying, which in the treestump's case, can be tested by having them vote someone).
While this sounds good, what if X has other reasons to not pass the ability to Y?
Hoping to make a comeback to mafia soon...

curiouskarmadog
curiouskarmadog
This Space for Rant
curiouskarmadog
This Space for Rant
This Space for Rant

Post Post #74 (ISO) » Wed Dec 22, 2010 6:53 pm

Parama wrote:
curiouskarmadog wrote:but before I get into it...Para, your "potato"...how long does the person get to hold before it kills them...AND can it be passed multiple times in a day?
I've kinda answered both these already but
1. Not telling
2. It can be passed whenever the hell someone wants to pass it.
The Eruci wrote: [*]Any Anti-Town Faction existing within this game may
not
pass a standard ability to any of their partners, if any partners exist within the game. Nonstandard abilities may exist in the game.
feel free to nominate me for scum finders bitches.

we keep passing this thing around ALOT..we get links, scum cant pass to their scum buddies..therefore we get links of who is not with who...might not be much at first...but later in the game..this is HUGE information.

Para gave it to muh..

Muh pass it now!
NO YOU'RE OVER DEFENSIVE

Return to “Completed Large Theme Games”