charter
charter
Beware of Dog
charter
Beware of Dog
Beware of Dog

Post Post #650 (ISO) » Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:43 am

Post by charter »

I think you were right about that UT. You should have argued about how Haschel was faking his claim, therefore scum. Of course he's going to try and argue through you, he won't just lay down and say "yeah, you caught me faking". You weren't vocal enough about it. I think if I was town, I would definitely have followed that.
MagnaofIllusion
MagnaofIllusion
has been killed Night 1
MagnaofIllusion
has been killed Night 1
has been killed Night 1

Post Post #651 (ISO) » Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:55 am

Post by MagnaofIllusion »

After reading the Scum QT I have to say the concept that scum had it rough I find a little bit of a stretch.

Given Town only had two useful PRs (mine and Untrods) the presence of a Role-blocker was powerful. Additionally George's ability to take out ANY player at any time which also worked as a bomb is not to be taken lightly.

And don't underestimate the power having 4 scum off the bat provides. The lack of a NK is daunting but Town absolutely needed any sort of flip of scum to really make solid relational tells. Also Day 1 a scum lynch would require 87.5% of the Town's votes with no scum bussing. Getting 87.5% of uniformed majority players to work in a unified manner is a pretty large task.

Not to say Scum didn't do a great job. You did. And Town did everything in its power to help you along, myself included.
"I am a leaf on the wind ... watch how I soar!"

Pretty much Geriatric game restricted at this point ... unless there are players I REALLY want to play with.
LimMePls
LimMePls
Mafia Scum
LimMePls
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #652 (ISO) » Wed Feb 09, 2011 4:20 am

Post by LimMePls »

^^agree with this.

Also Happy Scumday MOI!
"LynchMePls is more town than all the players I've ever declared to be townies. And that's never going to change." - Drippereth

V/LA on weekends
LimMePls
LimMePls
Mafia Scum
LimMePls
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #653 (ISO) » Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:59 am

Post by LimMePls »

MOI wrote:And don't underestimate the power having 4 scum off the bat provides. The lack of a NK is daunting but Town absolutely needed any sort of flip of scum to really make solid relational tells. Also Day 1 a scum lynch would require 87.5% of the Town's votes with no scum bussing. Getting 87.5% of uniformed majority players to work in a unified manner is a pretty large task.
To expound on 652, this is the part in particular that is spot on. IMO D1 mislynch in this game (which is likely due to 87.5%) pretty much sealed the deal. It steamrolled much to quickly. On the flip side, D1 scum-lynch might have actually done the exact opposite.

In short, I think the setup is swingy.
"LynchMePls is more town than all the players I've ever declared to be townies. And that's never going to change." - Drippereth

V/LA on weekends
The Fonz
The Fonz
Jack of All Trades
The Fonz
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #654 (ISO) » Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:53 am

Post by The Fonz »

The flip side of so many scum is you're statistically more likely to manage to get a wagon on scum early, and then scum is put in a really awkward position where it has to bus etc. It just so happens in this game there was no serious wagon on scum until day four.

Honestly, I think if the setup was played more (and I've nommed vanilla 8:4 for the open queue with this in mind) these kind of games will tend to either end up in a scum sweep, or a town win, because if town can get that first scum lynch, they've then got a ton of mislynches in which to find the scum. I mean, seriously, we had three mislynches, none of which required all the scum votes, and we were still left relying on one of the biggest gambits in the history of the site to win the game. As I said, if we hadn't gambitted, we may very well have actually lost this game from LyLo.
Kdub
Kdub
Mafia Scum
Kdub
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #655 (ISO) » Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:09 am

Post by Kdub »

I have mixed feelings on the game balance. I really think that if the town had even gotten one scum lynch (on someone other than Haschel), they had a chance to turn things around and make it interesting, although the scum probably still would have won since they were playing a better game overall. In that sense, LMP is right that the game is somewhat swingy since the early days are quite important. As I said, there were not a whole lot of nightless games that I could go back and look at to see how things worked out.

I'd be interested to see the results of a large sample of vanilla nightless games just to see how balanced it actually is. I think the way to balance it is to either add townies if scum wins too often, or give the scum a certain number of vengeful kills if town wins too often (which would make it no longer "vanilla" nightless, but whatever).
Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic Mafia - 17-player large theme, currently needs (0) replacements
The Fonz
The Fonz
Jack of All Trades
The Fonz
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #656 (ISO) » Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:14 am

Post by The Fonz »

I think it may actually be balanced, with the caveat that 'balanced' means 'a ton more town-friendly than 90% of MS.net games at the moment.'
Kdub
Kdub
Mafia Scum
Kdub
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #657 (ISO) » Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:50 am

Post by Kdub »

Maybe a good way to reduce the swingyness of the vanilla nightless setup is to have a 14-player game with 10 town vs. 4 scum, but all the scum have a vengeful kill. That gives the town a fixed number of 5 mislynches to play with, instead of a variable number from 3-6 depending on how successful they are.
Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic Mafia - 17-player large theme, currently needs (0) replacements
Haschel Cedricson
Haschel Cedricson
Mr. Know It All
Haschel Cedricson
Mr. Know It All
Mr. Know It All

Post Post #658 (ISO) » Wed Feb 09, 2011 4:48 pm

Post by Haschel Cedricson »

I would play a game like that.
MagnaofIllusion
MagnaofIllusion
has been killed Night 1
MagnaofIllusion
has been killed Night 1
has been killed Night 1

Post Post #659 (ISO) » Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:27 pm

Post by MagnaofIllusion »

Agreed, that's an interesting set-up.
"I am a leaf on the wind ... watch how I soar!"

Pretty much Geriatric game restricted at this point ... unless there are players I REALLY want to play with.
Katsuki
Katsuki
Cupcake
Katsuki
Cupcake
Cupcake

Post Post #660 (ISO) » Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:35 pm

Post by Katsuki »

/pre-in if you run that game.
Fluffy fluffy~~~ |
"READING KATSUKI IS LIKE SOME SORT OF POSTMODERN ARTFORM"
- GreyICE
Katsuki is by far more absurdly beautiful than Fate. (hai parama)
Katsuki's Madness coming to you shortly: Nov, 2011!

C
u
p
c
a
k
e
M
a
f
i
a
I
I
coming to you summer 2011! ~ Pre-ins: 11/13
Kdub
Kdub
Mafia Scum
Kdub
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #661 (ISO) » Wed Feb 09, 2011 7:20 pm

Post by Kdub »

I'll consider the win percentages to see if that's actually a balanced game. I don't plan to run it myself, but I'll suggest it as an open setup after thinking about it a bit more.
The Fonz
The Fonz
Jack of All Trades
The Fonz
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #662 (ISO) » Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:52 am

Post by The Fonz »

That's kinda like Treestump, when scum only gets to kill when a scum is lynched.
Kdub
Kdub
Mafia Scum
Kdub
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #663 (ISO) » Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:44 am

Post by Kdub »

Hmm...I'm not aware of that setup. I guess it's been tried before then.
hasdgfas
hasdgfas
Jack of All Trades
hasdgfas
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #664 (ISO) » Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:13 am

Post by hasdgfas »

Fin
jdodge1019: hasjghsalghsakljghs is from vermont
jdodge1019: vermont is made of liberal freaks and cows
jdodge1019: he's not a liberal