Newbie 1006 (Game Over|Scum Win)

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
Zdenek
Zdenek
Jack of All Trades
Zdenek
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #25 (ISO) » Tue Sep 07, 2010 1:37 am

Post by Zdenek »

boberz wrote:Okay so andrew thinks that a 'random' vote coincidentally for the person he knows is random. So for clearly trying to misrepresent in the random vote stage, having his vote tactically on a player he obviously wants to mislynch me immediately.

Also the fact Zdenek is clearly trying to buddy Zach makes me very suspicious. There is no reason to apologise for a random vote so it is clearly a fear of someone striking in their first post.

vote zdenek
Cos he is clearly scum with andrew (I am not joking this is serious and I have so caught the scum already. Someone join me on this wagon it is looking hot.

A few questions:

How much mafia have you played?
How often are you planning to be online to play?
Who are you going to vote for?
My vote was random, and the apology was for a failure to bold it. I guess that wasn't clear enough.

Anyhow, to answer the questions:
I've played a few games on another board, but they were usually silly. Days in the game took one real life day, and there was little conversation, so whenever the town wasn't playing follow the cop, they lost.

It will depend on the day, but hopefully once or twice a day. So you know, I am in GMT, which might be a different time zone from the majority of players.

I am not sure who I will vote for at the end of the day yet. I will probably change my vote at some point, but so far, I don't see any reason to.
I have secret plans and clever tricks.
- The Enormous Crocodile.
boberz
boberz
Mafia Scum
boberz
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #26 (ISO) » Tue Sep 07, 2010 1:55 am

Post by boberz »

My vote was random
How did you choose who to vote for then?
Paschendale
Paschendale
Mafia Scum
Paschendale
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #27 (ISO) » Tue Sep 07, 2010 2:30 am

Post by Paschendale »

Good morning.

Paschendale here. Just woke up and will be heading off to class shortly. I'll be logging on several times a day, but at sporadic intervals.
I've played several mini mafias (actually modding one right now) on a friend's site. Those games tend to go very quick so the time frame here might take a little getting used to.

Of Zdenek: Random noob vote is not scummy. If he has one friend here, latching on to that friend, even to vote for him, is an act of buddying up, but for non-game reasons. That's a human thing, not a scum thing. I'm gonna need a LOT more convincing if anyone wants my vote on this one... However,

Of Boberz: Trying really hard to get someone hammered ASAP. You're very zealous about scum hunting. On day one, this is the right stance. With nothing else to go on, supporting or opposing you are our only choices. I would side with you to avoid a no lynch, but I'm not eager to jump on a bandwagon this early.

Let's here what other people have to say, and maybe we'll actually find a scum instead of a noob.
Paschendale
Paschendale
Mafia Scum
Paschendale
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #28 (ISO) » Tue Sep 07, 2010 2:31 am

Post by Paschendale »

Let's hear what other people have to say*
boberz
boberz
Mafia Scum
boberz
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #29 (ISO) » Tue Sep 07, 2010 3:06 am

Post by boberz »

Of Boberz: Trying really hard to get someone hammered ASAP.
I did no such thing.
You're very zealous about scum hunting. On day one, this is the right stance. With nothing else to go on, supporting or opposing you are our only choices.
Thank you.
I would side with you to avoid a no lynch, but I'm not eager to jump on a bandwagon this early.
The earlier on in the game the more we need bandwagons. And I still don't like the assumption we are going to lynch him.
Let's here what other people have to say, and maybe we'll actually find a scum instead of a noob
If everyone says that (which about three people have now) then nobody would post. Think about how silly this statement is.
Zachrulez
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #30 (ISO) » Tue Sep 07, 2010 3:29 am

Post by Zachrulez »

Hey, I'm your IC for this game. IC is short for inexperience challenged, which is another nice way of saying that I've been here longer than the rest of you. I'm basically here for the benefit of people who are new to the site and might not be exactly sure how things are done, and my function is basically to show how it's done.

What's important to know about the IC role is that I take on 2 roles in the game. As an IC, I am required to teach game theory and to answer questions posed to me about the game, how it's played, game theory/ect. It's also important to know that I also take on the role the mod pmed me, and that I will be playing to my win condition as well, regardless of what that may be.

I'll jump right in and answer the questions posed by boberz.
boberz wrote:
A few questions:

My experience on this site spans around 40-50 games, and I have about another 20 in addition to that offsite.
boberz wrote:How often are you planning to be online to play?
I'm online, but oddly enough, most of my reading and posting get done while I'm at work and are dependent on how busy or slow things are at work. Still I aim to be available to post every day if need be.
boberz wrote:Who are you going to vote for?
Right now I'm going to
Vote: Paschendale

Post 27 is fence sitting at it's finest. Supporting and opposing Boberz are not the only possible options at this point in the game. You can also look at the reactions to Boberz vote as well, or take your own stance on someone else's play to this point.
boberz
boberz
Mafia Scum
boberz
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #31 (ISO) » Tue Sep 07, 2010 4:03 am

Post by boberz »

Post 27 is fence sitting at it's finest. Supporting and opposing Boberz are not the only possible options at this point in the game. You can also look at the reactions to Boberz vote as well, or take your own stance on someone else's play to this point.
Thank you, I was trying to demonstrate this by doing rather than saying.

Do as I do and all that.

---

On that point what do you make of the game so far Zach
Wingless
Wingless
Goon
Wingless
Goon
Goon

Post Post #32 (ISO) » Tue Sep 07, 2010 4:20 am

Post by Wingless »

Now, let's see. I think we should take on of the inexperienced ones because experienced players are more likely to find a scum. It is very unlikely that 2 of the 3 experienced players are mafia, so we will have at least one left at Day2. Boberz and Rydonmower were fighting each other, so it is not very likely they are both scum i think.
VOTE: gaulamos
Town: 1-2
Scum: 1-0(W/L).
Paschendale
Paschendale
Mafia Scum
Paschendale
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #33 (ISO) » Tue Sep 07, 2010 4:39 am

Post by Paschendale »

Wingless wrote:Now, let's see. I think we should take on of the inexperienced ones because experienced players are more likely to find a scum. It is very unlikely that 2 of the 3 experienced players are mafia, so we will have at least one left at Day2. Boberz and Rydonmower were fighting each other, so it is not very likely they are both scum i think.
Bad meta at its finest. Trying to guess what the mod was thinking, especially when roles are assigned randomly, leads to bad choices.

Vote: Wingless
Wingless
Wingless
Goon
Wingless
Goon
Goon

Post Post #34 (ISO) » Tue Sep 07, 2010 4:53 am

Post by Wingless »

Paschendale wrote:
Wingless wrote:Now, let's see. I think we should take on of the inexperienced ones because experienced players are more likely to find a scum. It is very unlikely that 2 of the 3 experienced players are mafia, so we will have at least one left at Day2. Boberz and Rydonmower were fighting each other, so it is not very likely they are both scum i think.
Bad meta at its finest. Trying to guess what the mod was thinking, especially when roles are assigned randomly, leads to bad choices.

Vote: Wingless
I didn't try to guess what the mod was thinking. 3/9*2/8=1/12 is the chance that the 2 mafia scum is 2 of the 3 experienced players. I think this is fairly poor chance, plus considering boberz's and Rydonmower's fight, I would say it is very likely what I said is true. I
UNVOTE: gaulamos
and
VOTE: Paschendale
for attacking me without any reason.
boberz
boberz
Mafia Scum
boberz
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #35 (ISO) » Tue Sep 07, 2010 4:55 am

Post by boberz »

@Pasch your avatar is not working for me, it might just be me but worth a mention.

Wingless, please may you get an avatar I like them :) if not dont worry.
boberz
boberz
Mafia Scum
boberz
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #36 (ISO) » Tue Sep 07, 2010 4:56 am

Post by boberz »

I like wingless. Actually what a legend.
Wingless
Wingless
Goon
Wingless
Goon
Goon

Post Post #37 (ISO) » Tue Sep 07, 2010 4:57 am

Post by Wingless »

I am going to get a cool avatar.
boberz
boberz
Mafia Scum
boberz
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #38 (ISO) » Tue Sep 07, 2010 4:58 am

Post by boberz »

Sounds exciting
Zachrulez
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #39 (ISO) » Tue Sep 07, 2010 5:06 am

Post by Zachrulez »

Yeah, if you don't have an avatar, I would highly recommend getting one. Image association with posts works a lot better than keeping track of what name is making what post.
boberz
boberz
Mafia Scum
boberz
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #40 (ISO) » Tue Sep 07, 2010 5:12 am

Post by boberz »

Any thoughts Zach?
Wingless
Wingless
Goon
Wingless
Goon
Goon

Post Post #41 (ISO) » Tue Sep 07, 2010 5:22 am

Post by Wingless »

Wagon that Paschendale guy unless he shows something.:D
Wingless
Wingless
Goon
Wingless
Goon
Goon

Post Post #42 (ISO) » Tue Sep 07, 2010 5:24 am

Post by Wingless »

How can i be SE or IC? Do i have to win heaps of games?
Zachrulez
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #43 (ISO) » Tue Sep 07, 2010 5:32 am

Post by Zachrulez »

boberz wrote:Any thoughts Zach?
I think you're reading too much into Andrew and Zdenek's RVS votes. People don't always cast votes that are truly random but rather arbitrary. You'll often see it done with reasoning similar to what they came up with. (My read on both is pretty null)

Based on what both players actually did, I would have expected your vote to go on Andrew. (Though you seem to have misinterpreted Zdenek's apology post, and I can understand the vote based on how you explained your interpretation of the post.)

Out of that whole exchange I Rydon's reaction the most interesting, in that he seems to find your misinterpretation scummy. (An assertion I don't agree with.) As such, I raise an eyebrow to him.

Also, Bandwagoning isn't scummy, if we never bandwagoned, we'd never be able to lynch.
boberz
boberz
Mafia Scum
boberz
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #44 (ISO) » Tue Sep 07, 2010 5:38 am

Post by boberz »

I think you're reading too much into Andrew and Zdenek's RVS votes. People don't always cast votes that are truly random but rather arbitrary. You'll often see it done with reasoning similar to what they came up with. (My read on both is pretty null)
I agree but if we make a massive thing of RVS votes we can stamp them pout completely.
Based on what both players actually did, I would have expected your vote to go on Andrew
Yes but then every newb would scream OMGUS and we would be into the world of stock tells much too early.
(Though you seem to have misinterpreted Zdenek's apology post, and I can understand the vote based on how you explained your interpretation of the post.)
I read it correctly but just pretended to misunderstand so I had a reason to vote.
How can i be SE or IC? Do i have to win heaps of games?
Nothing so hard. SE means you have played atleast 2 games (in my case about a dozen) an IC means you have played atleast 5 games, had your standard checked by a listmod and have read the 'how to be an IC' guide.
Wingless
Wingless
Goon
Wingless
Goon
Goon

Post Post #45 (ISO) » Tue Sep 07, 2010 5:40 am

Post by Wingless »

Where's that guide? I would be pleased if I were told where those guides are.
boberz
boberz
Mafia Scum
boberz
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #46 (ISO) » Tue Sep 07, 2010 5:51 am

Post by boberz »

There is a wiki here:
http://mafiascum.net/wiki/index.php?title=Main_Page

A newbie guide here:
http://mafiascum.net/wiki/index.php?title=Newbie_Guide

IC guide here:
http://mafiascum.net/wiki/index.php?tit ... _a_good_IC

My faourite thing in the wiki (and why half the players on here (probably including me) are crap):
http://www.mafiascum.net/archive/viewtopic.php?t=12751

---

I realise that the following post is going to need explaining:
me wrote:I read it correctly but just pretended to misunderstand so I had a reason to vote.
Essentially I think the RVS is completely backward. It is full of people without motive making their votes look arbitary, except scum who are able to gain early position without explanation required. I prefer people with a motive making their votes look as serious as possible however arbitary the vote is.
Wisakedjak
Wisakedjak
Townie
Wisakedjak
Townie
Townie

Post Post #47 (ISO) » Tue Sep 07, 2010 6:46 am

Post by Wisakedjak »

I'll answer the questions before I get into the game.

How often are you planning to be online to play?
Who are you going to vote for?

1: This is my second time actually playing, but I've read somewhere around 30 mafia threads (although only 3 on this site) so I have an idea of how the game plays out.
2: I check the internet pretty regularly, so I'll be on at least once a day.
3: I want to agree with the IC who says fencesitting is a questionable play, and cast a vote for Rydon, but my gut doesn't tell me he's scum at this point. I agree with the analysis, but reading new players is difficult (much like playing poker against completely new players), so what are generally tells in a subtler context may just be a townie who doesn't realize he's acting suspicious. His vote is for someone he finds suspect, and he backpedals because he doesn't actually have much logical ground in the face of who he's arguing with. His inexperience betrays him, but he doesn't change his and the tone of his contributions doesn't seem scummy. Maybe this will change in the future? At the moment, he isn't my vote.

Right now, I'm going to VOTE: gaulamos for attacking wingless on some pretty flimsy reasoning. It's not hard to determine the odds on SE/IC members in the mafia. He's making a statement that it's an unlikely occurance, which seems to me to be as much to go on as anyone has on D1.

I'll also point out that it's way too early in the game for me to get any real kind of read, but that's what i'm going for for the time being.
Wisakedjak
Wisakedjak
Townie
Wisakedjak
Townie
Townie

Post Post #48 (ISO) » Tue Sep 07, 2010 6:47 am

Post by Wisakedjak »

EBWOP: ...doesn't change his
vote
and the tone of his...

I should really preview these before sending them out
Wingless
Wingless
Goon
Wingless
Goon
Goon

Post Post #49 (ISO) » Tue Sep 07, 2010 6:55 am

Post by Wingless »

I will be online at least once a day if not more times. But as anything, it isn't sure. Wisakedjak: Paschendale attacked me without a reason i think. Gaulamous's last post had been made before i made my first post.

Return to “The Road to Rome [Newbie Games]”