More Leeway for Normal Flavor

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
Mr. Flay
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Metatron

Post Post #25 (ISO) » Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:46 am

Post by Mr. Flay »

mith wrote:The two main ways I've seen it done are "you can't claim flavor" - which is annoying, and usually prompts players to try to edge up to the line without crossing it - and "if you want to fake claim, I'll write you fake flavor", which has worked well for some mods but I could see potential problems there as well (I don't know that players have ever really tested that method).
Yeah, I vastly prefer the latter, even though I've never been asked (usually in Theme Games, I provide a fake roleclaim + the Townie role).

As for the originating concern, I think if we wrote up some guidelines for non-breaking flavor (if somebody hasn't already, in one of their modding guides), AND required either the Game Reviewer or Normal Reviewer to look over the flavor, I think we'd avoid anything we can reasonably avoid. Obviously any mod can at any time screw it up in an unforseen way, but that risk is present now.
Retired as of October 2014.
Mr. Flay
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Metatron

Post Post #26 (ISO) » Fri Jul 30, 2010 10:09 am

Post by Mr. Flay »

Here's a stab at those guidelines, from my internal checklist for avoiding breaking strategies:
  1. Don't put anything in a Town role PM's flavor text that you wouldn't write as in-thread flavor text for that role's death.
  2. Share the (or at least
    a
    ) Townie PM in-thread if you're going to use
    any
    role PM flavor.
  3. Don't mention anyone else's role or mechanics in role PM flavor text unless it's already been mentioned in-thread (this is a corollary of #1), or is integral to the role.
  4. Would a non-player reading your flavor text gain any understanding of the game's setup, roles, or mechanics? If so, you've probably said too much.
  5. Does your flavor text augment or modify the role's mechanics? If so, you've put it in the wrong section. All role mechanics should be unambiguously labeled as such, including if possible the standard "role name".
  6. Does removing the flavor text cripple the role in any way (other than aesthetically)? If so, you've
    definitely
    said too much.
Most of these apply to Theme Games too, with the possible except of the last line of #5.

This is totally off-the-cuff, so feel free to pick it apart, disagree, add to it, whatever. If this needs to be a separate thread, that's fine too.
Twomz
Twomz
Cliqued On
Twomz
Cliqued On
Cliqued On

Post Post #27 (ISO) » Fri Jul 30, 2010 10:33 am

Post by Twomz »

Hmm, this got me thinking. A lot of mods distinguish between different faction kills (gunshot = vig, knife = SK, poison/garrote/beat up/ect = mafia) that's not against the current rules, correct?
"It's not a logical inconsistency. B can't be correct because then C would be, but it doesn't go the other way - there's nothing wrong with C being correct. Aside from Twomz saying otherwise." --Mith
Seraphim
Seraphim
she/her
Jack of All Trades
Seraphim
she/her
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: she/her

Post Post #28 (ISO) » Fri Jul 30, 2010 10:59 am

Post by Seraphim »

Twomz wrote:Hmm, this got me thinking. A lot of mods distinguish between different faction kills (gunshot = vig, knife = SK, poison/garrote/beat up/ect = mafia) that's not against the current rules, correct?
No, it is. Trust me.
Mr. Flay
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Metatron

Post Post #29 (ISO) » Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:02 am

Post by Mr. Flay »

It is? Not last I heard, but it's been a while since I ran a Normal that had multiple killing Factions...
Ythan
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Welcome to the Haystack
Pronoun: She

Post Post #30 (ISO) » Fri Jul 30, 2010 12:48 pm

Post by Ythan »

I quickly made a leap from people living in Central Park to hobo mafia. Didn't really think about this.
yabbaguy
yabbaguy
(O)ptimized
yabbaguy
(O)ptimized
(O)ptimized

Post Post #31 (ISO) » Fri Jul 30, 2010 2:36 pm

Post by yabbaguy »

Hobos with powers.
yabbaguy ~ Winning without actually winning.

Town: 10-21 | Mafia: 3-4 | Other: 0-1
yGDB
(meta + commentary)

- On reruns at Sens-O-Tape!
Ythan
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Welcome to the Haystack

Post Post #32 (ISO) » Fri Jul 30, 2010 2:47 pm

Post by Ythan »

There is no reason to assume that a hobo isn't just as capable of any ability as an otherwise simple townie.
Mr. Flay
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Metatron

Post Post #33 (ISO) » Fri Jul 30, 2010 2:50 pm

Post by Mr. Flay »

Random hobos??

*looks for Macros*
Ythan
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Welcome to the Haystack

Post Post #34 (ISO) » Fri Jul 30, 2010 2:52 pm

Post by Ythan »

I might change the title to Hobo Justice. It has a nice ring to it.
Ythill
Ythill
Fabio
Ythill
Fabio
Fabio

Post Post #35 (ISO) » Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:24 pm

Post by Ythill »

Sweet. Lots of responses.
mith wrote:Newbie Games are off-limits for anything but Mafia flavor.
Agreed 100%.
mith wrote:There have to be boundaries, and they need to be reasonably well defined - original material based in a common and well-known genre might be ok; Fuwochichi vs. the Sandwich Army, not so much.
Disagree. I think that if the basic idea is that players should be able to skip the flavor entirely and still play the game, then it doesn't really matter what's written there. I do think that specific themes (non-original material, where knowledge of the theme could be a factor) should stay in the theme queues. If you want to impose a limit on subject matter, the best way to do it IMO is to have each mod submit a brief statement about the flavor (example: Gypsies have infiltrated a carnival.) with his/her setup.
Mith wrote:All flavor should be public (no role PM flavor that could be claimed, for example). That would have to include role names, and I'm not sure whether it would make more sense to say "no flavor in roles, period" or have the option of role name flavor if it's open (i.e. the OP/rules post lists "Alien = Mafia, Space Explorer = Townie, etc." for all possible roles).
Mostly agreed. The only problem is that if a mod wants to use a unique role of his own creation (within current guidelines) it would be pretty obvious on a list of all possible roles and players would not be able to try fake-claiming a unique or rare role that wasn't on the list. It might be better to have the information publically
available
but not posted, meaning that any player can ask for a doc rolename from the mod or whatever at any time. In a recent normal I ran with lightly (mafia) flavored role PMs, I used this solution and it worked. If we did institute a "no PM flavor" or "public PM flavor only" rule for this, I'd rather if it was conditional on using non-mafia/werewolf flavor so that mods could choose to follow one set of guidelines or the other. I guess what I'm saying is, I don't want to expand our options at the cost of limiting them in another area.
mith wrote:At the least, open role PMs should be "translated" into normal flavor - players shouldn't need to parse your treasure hunt flavor to figure out what their role actually does.
Agreed 100%. I'm not interested in expanding the amount of flavor that we alreday allow, or in creating niche role PMs or whatever. I really do think that should stay in the theme games. Mainly, I'm suggesting that the subject matter of public flavor (i.e. death scenes) be less limited. I discussed role names and PM flavor simply because one leads to the other, and if we do this, we're going to have people (including me) wanting to refer to the cop in a witchhunt game as an inquisitor. However, I woudn't want to take it further than that, and I'd be fine not taking it that far, or taking measures to ensure that such things do not effect gameplay at all.

Here's my own stab at guidelines for expanded normal flavor:
  1. Normal games must be flavorless, contain only flavor based on mafia or werewolf, or adhere to the following guidelines.
  2. The mod should post a notice in the queue and in his ruleset, informing players that they are signing up for and/or playing a flavored normal game.
  3. Flavor should be
    entirely
    original. Games based on books, movies, videogames, sports, real people, or any other topic which would allow a player's knowledge of the source to give him an advantage should be run as theme games. Please provide a brief summary of your flavor when you submit your setup for review. (example: The town are lumberjacks and the mafia are environmentalists.)
  4. Flavor posted in the thread should have absolutely no bearing on the game. It should be possible for a player to read only the role reveals posted at the bottom or top of any death scene and gain all information needed to play. This relevant information should be formatted to stand out from the rest of the post and should be limited to the details available in the dead player's role PM, the phase during which the player died, and a brief description of the kill method. (example:
    Ythill
    Mafia Roleblocker (tree-sitter)
    , stabbed night 1.
    )
  5. A sample vanilla townie PM must appear in the mod's ruleset or opening post. It must include the town win condition.
  6. Role PMs and reveals must include the standard name of the role. If secondary role names or descriptive flavor lines are given in role PMs, such information must be publically available.* It is permissable to provide public secondary names or flavor lines for roles which do not appear in the game.
  7. Descriptions of a role's abilities must not contain flavor, except that a player with a kill may be told his kill method.
*This could be reworded to require the list to be posted in the thread, but I like the idea of a private list that is shared by PM with people who request information for specific claims.
Record:
Town 10W/15L
Scum 4W/1L
Other 2W/2L
Newbie 1L

"So yeah, it is a sign from the angels." ~CooLDoG
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #36 (ISO) » Sat Jul 31, 2010 7:23 am

Post by Vi »

mith wrote:
Lots of people are introduced to the game through Are You A Werewolf?
Sure; but this is mafiascum, not werewolfscum, and I think it's reasonable to limit our introductory games to our most common flavor.
Mafurscum?
The two main ways I've seen it done are "you can't claim flavor" - which is annoying, and usually prompts players to try to edge up to the line without crossing it - and "if you want to fake claim, I'll write you fake flavor", which has worked well for some mods but I could see potential problems there as well (I don't know that players have ever really tested that method).
Don't use the first approach - ever - for the reason mith brought up. It will just encourage them to try to break the game because they know you're hiding something.

I've actually been toying with the idea of doing a game with flavored Role PMs and letting scum create their own fakeclaim flavors. The catch with doing something like this is that you -must- use different flavors for each power role (not type of power role; I mean power role PLAYER) in the game PLUS a sample Vanilla PM at the very least, and that's a lot of writing.

I know that at least one Newbie game I've modded has probably crossed the flavor line on paper. Then again, it was very clear that the flavor was Town vs. Mafia and knowledge of what I was talking about didn't change anything. That and it was my best flavor writing onsite so far; I really need to step it up because that game is old now :lol:
As for the originating concern, I think if we wrote up some guidelines for non-breaking flavor (if somebody hasn't already, in one of their modding guides),
I'm sorry, did you say something?~
As soon as we come to a consensus inthread I can add it to what's in my sig.
Hmm, this got me thinking. A lot of mods distinguish between different faction kills (gunshot = vig, knife = SK, poison/garrote/beat up/ect = mafia) that's not against the current rules, correct?
SensFan will tell you that all kill flavors are non-Normal; however, there is a very specific set of flavors that is accepted as "normal" and this isn't it. Mafia shoots. Poisoning is a very specific kill from a very specific role (Poisoner). Garroting and beating people up would be okay in a single-faction game.

----
1. Normal games must be flavorless, contain only flavor based on mafia or werewolf, or adhere to the following guidelines.
2. The mod should post a notice in the queue and in his ruleset, informing players that they are signing up for and/or playing a flavored normal game.
3. Flavor should be entirely original. Games based on books, movies, videogames, sports, real people, or any other topic which would allow a player's knowledge of the source to give him an advantage should be run as theme games. Please provide a brief summary of your flavor when you submit your setup for review. (example: The town are lumberjacks and the mafia are environmentalists.)
4. Flavor posted in the thread should have absolutely no bearing on the game. It should be possible for a player to read only the role reveals posted at the bottom or top of any death scene and gain all information needed to play. This relevant information should be formatted to stand out from the rest of the post and should be limited to the details available in the dead player's role PM, the phase during which the player died, and a brief description of the kill method. (example: Ythill Mafia Roleblocker (tree-sitter), stabbed night 1.)
5. A sample vanilla townie PM must appear in the mod's ruleset or opening post. It must include the town win condition.
6. Role PMs and reveals must include the standard name of the role. If secondary role names or descriptive flavor lines are given in role PMs, such information must be publically available.* It is permissable to provide public secondary names or flavor lines for roles which do not appear in the game.
7. Descriptions of a role's abilities must not contain flavor, except that a player with a kill may be told his kill method.
1. I think "contain only flavor based on mafia or werewolf" is a bit vague. See the game I linked above for an example of a game with flavor related to Mafia on some superficial level.

2. If we were allowing flavored Normals - as in the sort of thing I mentioned above with individual flavors - I would be behind this. Incidentally, am I completely wrong on my Mafia history or were "flavored Normals" the original types of games played once the game hit the parlor scene?

3. Fair.

4. I like this.

5. This too.

6. This is a little touchy and goes back to the writing-flavor-on-demand issue. Including flavor names for roles makes them MUCH more difficult to falseclaim ("I'm a Town
Abjurer
, aka JOAT"). Truthfully I would rather not see this sort of thing in Normals; if it is seen I would definitely recommend the mod do the recommending for flavored titles.

7. Fine.

----
1. Don't put anything in a Town role PM's flavor text that you wouldn't write as in-thread flavor text for that role's death.
2. Share the (or at least a) Townie PM in-thread if you're going to use any role PM flavor.
3. Don't mention anyone else's role or mechanics in role PM flavor text unless it's already been mentioned in-thread (this is a corollary of #1), or is integral to the role.
4. Would a non-player reading your flavor text gain any understanding of the game's setup, roles, or mechanics? If so, you've probably said too much.
5. Does your flavor text augment or modify the role's mechanics? If so, you've put it in the wrong section. All role mechanics should be unambiguously labeled as such, including if possible the standard "role name".
6. Does removing the flavor text cripple the role in any way (other than aesthetically)? If so, you've definitely said too much.
1) Yes.
2) Yes.
3) Will add "Remember, as a general rule you should tell your players as much as they NEED to know, and no more" if/when this is added to the guide.
4) We're still talking about Normals, right? In Themes that may be part of the point :? In Normals, though, definite yes.
5) Yes yes.
6) Yes yes yetc.
Everything you say and do matters. People will respond in ways you may never see. May those responses be what you intend.
molestargazer
molestargazer
Goon
molestargazer
Goon
Goon

Post Post #37 (ISO) » Sat Jul 31, 2010 8:15 am

Post by molestargazer »

How about having to give scum flavoured fakeclaims if there's going to be flavour in the role PMs?
My Wiki Page
|
My Last.FM
|
My Steam
I am
not
called 'molest'.

Unable to play mafia right now - life's too hectic with University. Apologies for replacing out...
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #38 (ISO) » Sat Jul 31, 2010 8:20 am

Post by Vi »

molestargazer wrote:How about having to give scum flavoured fakeclaims if there's going to be flavour in the role PMs?
Well, yes. In general, you want the scum to have the flavor equivalent of whatever the Town has.
Everything you say and do matters. People will respond in ways you may never see. May those responses be what you intend.
Ythill
Ythill
Fabio
Ythill
Fabio
Fabio

Post Post #39 (ISO) » Sat Jul 31, 2010 8:31 am

Post by Ythill »

mole wrote:How about having to give scum flavoured fakeclaims if there's going to be flavour in the role PMs?
Yeah, that's what I meant. In a recent normal, I put one sentence of (mafia themed) flavor in each non-vanilla role PM. Example: vig (You are an outlaw biker with a quick temper and a big gun). In the ruleset and scum QT, I stated that fake flavor was available for anyone who wanted it. I had a private list with the flavor lines for potential roles which were not in the game.
Record:
Town 10W/15L
Scum 4W/1L
Other 2W/2L
Newbie 1L

"So yeah, it is a sign from the angels." ~CooLDoG
NicolBolas
NicolBolas
Mafia Scum
NicolBolas
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #40 (ISO) » Sat Jul 31, 2010 12:59 pm

Post by NicolBolas »

If i mod, i would love to have more flexibility in flavor writing. I believe that it would make the game slightly more interesting.
This is Klazam's old account.
Mr. Flay
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Metatron

Post Post #41 (ISO) » Sat Jul 31, 2010 9:32 pm

Post by Mr. Flay »

Vi wrote:I know that at least one Newbie game I've modded has probably crossed the flavor line on paper. Then again, it was very clear that the flavor was Town vs. Mafia and knowledge of what I was talking about didn't change anything. That and it was my best flavor writing onsite so far; I really need to step it up because that game is old now :lol:
Tons of my old Newbie Games are flavored; everything from WWII to High School to I don't know what else. I'm probably part of the reason we can't have nice things. :shifty:
Vi wrote:
As for the originating concern, I think if we wrote up some guidelines for non-breaking flavor (if somebody hasn't already, in one of their modding guides),
Absolutely not. If we come up with good guidelines, they need to be separate from your guide and have official status. Otherwise, there's no point in trying to change things and we should stick with the current explicit ban. No offense intended to your guide, but it's both lengthy and unofficial, and people WILL miss the details.
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #42 (ISO) » Sat Jul 31, 2010 10:32 pm

Post by Vi »

Mr. Flay wrote:
Vi wrote:
Absolutely not. If we come up with good guidelines, they need to be separate from your guide and have official status. Otherwise, there's no point in trying to change things and we should stick with the current explicit ban. No offense intended to your guide, but it's both lengthy and unofficial, and people WILL miss the details.
Very well; take two:
As soon as we come to a consensus on the wiki I can link to it from what's in my sig.
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #43 (ISO) » Sun Aug 01, 2010 4:33 am

Post by zoraster »

I think if you have to give scum fake claims, you've put in flavor in a way that should not be done in a normal.
shaft.ed
shaft.ed
dem.agogue
shaft.ed
dem.agogue
dem.agogue

Post Post #44 (ISO) » Sun Aug 01, 2010 4:36 am

Post by shaft.ed »

zoraster wrote:I think if you have to give scum fake claims, you've put in flavor in a way that should not be done in a normal.
This. More specifically if they would benefit from a fake claim (whether you "have" to give them one or not is up to you).
PranaDevil
PranaDevil
Mafia Scum
PranaDevil
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #45 (ISO) » Sun Aug 01, 2010 5:13 am

Post by PranaDevil »

zoraster wrote:I think if you have to give scum fake claims, you've put in flavor in a way that should not be done in a normal.
Depends on your game really.

I made a Wacky Races based game on another site. Obviously Mafia had to be Dastardly and Muttley, there's no two ways about it. Thus the only fair way to make the game unbreakable through mass claim was to hold back 3 characters and give them as fake claims to the mafia.

Obviously we're discussing normal flavour here, so I guess unthemed games I would agree that there's no need to give scum fake claims. However if you meant across the board then it would be false.
animorpherv1
animorpherv1
Honey Trap
animorpherv1
Honey Trap
Honey Trap

Post Post #46 (ISO) » Sun Aug 01, 2010 9:00 am

Post by animorpherv1 »

Um.. is it bad that my Newbie game I had players stuck at a Party?
"Animorpherv1's posts are so powerful that prolonged exposure may cause vertigo, nausea, acute tinnitus, and in rare cases, death." - vonflare

"Ani is right 100% of the time" - Alisae
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #47 (ISO) » Sun Aug 01, 2010 1:28 pm

Post by zoraster »

PranaDevil wrote:
zoraster wrote:I think if you have to give scum fake claims, you've put in flavor in a way that should not be done
in a normal.
Depends on your game really.

I made a Wacky Races based game on another site. Obviously Mafia had to be Dastardly and Muttley, there's no two ways about it. Thus the only fair way to make the game unbreakable through mass claim was to hold back 3 characters and give them as fake claims to the mafia.

Obviously we're discussing normal flavour here, so I guess unthemed games I would agree that there's no need to give scum fake claims. However if you meant across the board then it would be false.
I bolded my quote to help you out ;)

Obviously fake claims are a good option in theme games.
Yosarian2
Yosarian2
(shrug)
Yosarian2
(shrug)
(shrug)

Post Post #48 (ISO) » Mon Aug 02, 2010 4:35 am

Post by Yosarian2 »

Twomz wrote:Hmm, this got me thinking. A lot of mods distinguish between different faction kills (gunshot = vig, knife = SK, poison/garrote/beat up/ect = mafia) that's not against the current rules, correct?
No, I don't think so. It never has been in the past, certainly.

I don't think "kill method" is a "flavor" issue at all; I tend to think of it as a specific and common normal game mechanic, that can be used to give hints to players as to what faction is making which kills, and also can interact with specific roles (especially the gunsmith.)
I want us to win just for Yos' inevitable rant alone. -CrashTextDummie
Yosarian2
Yosarian2
(shrug)
Yosarian2
(shrug)
(shrug)

Post Post #49 (ISO) » Mon Aug 02, 2010 4:36 am

Post by Yosarian2 »

Ythill wrote:
FTR, I was under the impression that the current rule is "Flavor must be based on mafia, warewolf, or face to face games."
I want us to win just for Yos' inevitable rant alone. -CrashTextDummie

Return to “Mafia Discussion”