/Invitational 11: Pick your Poison 5 (Game Over)

ooba
ooba
Jack of All Trades
ooba
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #50 (ISO) » Wed Jul 28, 2010 3:05 pm

Post by ooba »

As someone already mentioned 4/16 is a good ratio for town.

I disagree with both of these
- Giving scum a chance at extra NKs
- Losing flip info from a lynch

Therefore its Daycop\Roleblocker. At worst, it'll get reduced to nearly a mountainous game - which is acceptable in my book given the ratio.

Vote: Daycop
Vote: Roleblocker
Vote: Option 2
mith
mith
Godfather
mith
Godfather
Godfather

Post Post #51 (ISO) » Wed Jul 28, 2010 3:59 pm

Post by mith »

While it's encouraging to keep seeing this sentiment of "screw the power roles, we don't need them!", a 4:16 vanilla game would be *tough* on the town. Let's not be too hasty to throw the power roles under the bus - we want the scum to choke on the poison they've empowered us with.

Will think more about the Janitor vs. Rolecop decision tomorrow... I won't be voting for the Assassin, though. The "benefit" of the no-power-claim idea (making it unlikely, but not impossible, that the scum will get an extra kill) doesn't outweigh the cost (willfully ignoring a potential source of information).
Kmd4390
Kmd4390
I lost a bet.
Kmd4390
I lost a bet.
I lost a bet.

Post Post #52 (ISO) » Wed Jul 28, 2010 4:09 pm

Post by Kmd4390 »

Hoopla, you are underestimating what power roles can do. Also, you seem to be assuming random kills from an assassin. Even if we go through with your plan, any power role who is run up near a lynch WILL die if there is an assassin alive. That's bad for town, obviously.

--------------

Guys, a daytime rolecop is dangerous. Seriously.
KMD is the coolest dude who ever lost a bet to me - vonflare
Amished
Amished
Mafia Scum
Amished
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #53 (ISO) » Wed Jul 28, 2010 5:05 pm

Post by Amished »

Yeah, no rolecop; that's the most dangerous one for scum in my eyes.

I was considering exactly what hoopla suggested; roleblocker and assassin. Roleblocker needs to find a PR; and if they think that they have one they'll just try to kill it anyways. There's no synergy; and they won't have given us much power in any case to make a roleblocker all that useful.
I'm going on a crusade to put more thought into my posts.

No, my name is not "Ed."
Zorblag
Zorblag
Troll
Zorblag
Troll
Troll

Post Post #54 (ISO) » Wed Jul 28, 2010 5:08 pm

Post by Zorblag »

We should stop voting for roleblocker at this point and consider the following sentiments:
mith wrote:But mith do find the Hider and especially the Weak Doc to be double-edged, since they have the potential to provide extra town deaths, and since their ability to confirm innocents is limited/risky. So, mith think it possible scum included either or both and in multiples.
zoraster wrote:Last, and sorry to keep posting but I can't help myself but start to get involved: Consider that our roles are likely to be 2 hiders who it really won't hurt to lose. Roleblocking that won't hurt, and assassinating that won't hurt.
Troll sort of thinks that this kind of thinking will be somewhat common. It also be a trap for scum if them went with it.

If we have two hiders in the game and no roleblocker then them can hide behind eachother each night giving us two confirmed (after the first night) unkillable pro-town players.

If we have two weak docs in the game and no roleblocker then them can protect eachother each night giving us two confirmed (after the first night) unkillable pro-town players.

This only works if we don't have a roleblocker who can break up the cross targeting and allow one of the weak doctors or both of the hiders (depending on which there be) to be night killed.

We should at this time seriously consider a hider claim. If we have two claimed hiders then any combination of scum roles that no includes the roleblocker is better than one that does. Either them will both be town (in which case we have confirmed, unkillable townies starting day two) one will be scum (in which case we trade a hider for a scum which Troll be perfectly happy to do) or them both will be scum (in which case we catch them both when the real power roles get revealed throughout the game and have two scum lynches down the road.)

If we have one claimed hider then them can avoid night kills anyhow unless we give the scum a roleblocker by hiding. Or them be scum and we would need to catch them down the road but them will already have committed to a particular fake claim.

If we have no claimed hiders then the town gains information and the scum gain none which be good.

If there are hiders in the game and them claim this lessens the power of a rolecop for the scum (them would have less to find) and it gives an assassin (should we choose to include one) no extra targets as the hider avoids their kills on their own anyhow.

The only way this could go badly would be if there was one hider and we wanted to pick the roleblocker. Actually, that be a somewhat likely combination so Troll no will down play it; it be a serious issue.

Unfortunately we no can do the same thing as easily with weak doctors because a single claimed weak doctor no has a way to protect them self like a hider would.

Troll was expecting to have another two days to figure out how Troll thought it was best to use this (as well as do some thinking about other things based on the game setup) but apparently the scum finished their decision early and as a result we started Day 0 early. Had Troll been posting for the first time tomorrow or Friday Troll expects would have said all of this with that first post.

In any case, Troll would like to discuss this before we make any decisions.

-Zorblag R`Lyeh
mith
mith
Godfather
mith
Godfather
Godfather

Post Post #55 (ISO) » Wed Jul 28, 2010 5:48 pm

Post by mith »

I really should be in bed. I'm too tired to process all of that.

Initial thoughts: It's a good plan if we think there's a significant chance the scum gave us 2 hiders. As I said before, I think it's possible, but I don't know about "likely" - particularly given some of the other comments on likely scum choices. But until I'm more awake:

Unvote: Roleblocker
Ellibereth
Ellibereth
Deus ex Machina
Ellibereth
Deus ex Machina
Deus ex Machina

Post Post #56 (ISO) » Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:09 pm

Post by Ellibereth »

I'm worried about the assassin thing because I think it's pretty easy to for scum to PR-hunt especially when they know what PR's they're looking for.
worst case scenario for assassin/roleblock and rolecop/roleblock is it dissolves to mountainous right?
So latter would be better between those two I think.
FLASH OF GREEN
VasudeVa
VasudeVa
Mafia Scum
VasudeVa
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #57 (ISO) » Wed Jul 28, 2010 8:09 pm

Post by VasudeVa »

Hmmm... I like Assassin and Roleblocker. No synergy whatsoever. I don't think it's worth protecting the PRs anyway but they're still pretty useful. I'm going to guess with what the scum chose, I'd say it's 2 trackers, 1 vig, 1 hider because that's what I'd choose.

Vote: Assassin
Vote: Roleblocker
Vote: Deadline 3weeks, 2weeks flat.
Vote: Hoopla

Do scum have daytalk? Do we get to lynch Day 0? I don't seem to find any specific mention of these, so yeah.

What the hell is a mountainous setup?
Call me Vas, ;D A little less active than I used to be due to IRL. Hoping to be back up to speed soon-ish!
Hoopla
Hoopla
Hoopla

Post Post #58 (ISO) » Thu Jul 29, 2010 12:52 am

Post by Hoopla »

Why did you vote me if you agreed with my plan?
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #59 (ISO) » Thu Jul 29, 2010 1:46 am

Post by Rhinox »

Vote: assassin

FoS: RB

I want to hear some thoughts about Zor's idea of hider claiming before committing to a RB. I need more time to process what zor suggested, but on the surface doesn't look like a bad plan.

I think you guys are seriously overestimating the power of the assassin role. For one, it can't be used to end the game/give the mafia a majority. And since its only a 2-shot, the only real threat of an assassin kill is after a PR claim, or a less than a coinflip (probably) chance of the assassin guessing when it gets close to endgame, if it even lives that long. Putting an assassin in is not riding off the PR's as unvaluable. We can still get PR information, except we have to expect that once a PR claims, it will be killed. Note that after a PR claims, they're usually killed or RBed anyways, in most games.

We don't have to enforce a strictly no PR claiming rule - if a PR is about to be lynched and they have any information that may help the town, they should claim. What it comes down to is then do we lynch them anyways so the mafia can only make 1 nk, or do we lynch someone else and give the mafia 2nks - note that either way, the mafia benefit from the same 2 deaths - the claimed PR and another choice, whether we choose to lynch someone else or not. Also, if the town was given a JK or WD, we can prevent the assassin kills anyways (unless they are the ones who had to claim), and a hider can avoid an assassin kill all by itself. Unless we have 2 trackers + 2 vigs, we have at least 1 of JK, WD, or hider which weakens the ability of the assassin.

I also have a probably unconventional view that a couple extra deaths aren't necessarily a bad thing, as it reduces the player pool and gives slightly better odds on the next day's lynch. Similar to, a vig who goes to town starting on day 1 might hit a few townies, but thats not necessarily a bad thing. The problem I forsee is that if the extra kills are scum directed instead of vig directed, the extra kills will probably be on more helpful town players rather than scummy looking players/easily mislynchable players. But based on the player list, I don't see that as much of a problem anyways because there aren't any players I would classify as "always suspicious VI type players that are easily lynchable", nor do I see any players that as town they would tend to want to go after the easily lynchable/mislynchable targets.
Hoopla
Hoopla
Hoopla

Post Post #60 (ISO) » Thu Jul 29, 2010 1:53 am

Post by Hoopla »

Unvote: Role-Cop
Vote: Assassin
Patrick
Patrick
Rantbuddy
Patrick
Rantbuddy
Rantbuddy

Post Post #61 (ISO) » Thu Jul 29, 2010 2:18 am

Post by Patrick »

Votecount

Janitor (5) -- SpyreX, Kmd4390, DrippingGoofball, Ellibereth, Papa Zito
Rolecop (1) -- ooba
Roleblocker (6) -- Hoopla, Ellibereth, Kmd4390, Papa Zito, ooba, VasudeVa
Assassin (3) -- VasudeVa, Rhinox, Hoopla

Deadlines

Number one (2) -- Rhinox, VasudeVa
Number two (4) -- Hoopla, SpyreX, Papa Zito, ooba

- scum can daytalk
- nobody gets lynched on day 0
Primpod 11:13 pm
chamber can you please come to ukmeet
i would love to finally touch your face
Hoopla
Hoopla
Hoopla

Post Post #62 (ISO) » Thu Jul 29, 2010 2:25 am

Post by Hoopla »

Patrick, I assume the Hider avoids assassin kills, right?
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #63 (ISO) » Thu Jul 29, 2010 2:33 am

Post by Rhinox »

Regarding Daycop: its more dangerous to town PR's than assassin. Its unlimited shot. Its not blockable or trackable. It can lead to PR deaths that are not likely to be protected by a JK or WD - we won't know if the scum find a PR, which is less town info/more scum-proprietary info. Coupled with a RB, we have to assume that PRs found by the daycop will just be nked anyways, rather than RBed - since the RB is 4-shot, it likely will be saved for when it can cause confusion, put doubt on a claim, or block a jk, wd, or hider in order to proceed with a desired kill. Daycop puts our PR's much more at risk than assassin.

Regarding RB vs hiders or WD: Consider the mafia wincon - "You win when the town no longer has the majority, regardless of what roles are still alive." That tells me, even if we have a combination of roles that can not be killed, such as 2 hiders hiding behind each other, or 2 WD protecting each other, the mafia can still win with as little as 2 living players. Still, if there are 5 players left and 2 are claimed and proven hiders or WD somehow (not sure how likely that is), I like the odds of lynching scum at 2/3 better than 2/5 for LyLo. On the other hand, this is reason to believe that it is unlikely scum would not put in 2 WD or 2 hiders, unless they anticipated being given the RB role. Since this boils down to WIFOM, I think I would be ok with giving the mafia the RB role (paired with assassin), and not worry about trying to semi-break the setup with roles we may not have.

Were I scum choosing roles, I would have started with 2 trackers - not very powerful roles. I wouldn't give a WD or hider at all, actually - more powerful at confirming innocents rather than protecting others or yourself. That leaves the remaining 2 roles at some combination of JK and vigs. 2 vigs can potentially destroy the town without much help from the mafia, or completely obliviate the mafia. Given the player list, I would assume vigs would play well and would be more hesitant to put them in. JK's can prevent kills or block scum PRs, but they can also block town PRs. If there is a nk, a JK doesn't know if who he targets is scum or the nk target. Given the other roles, as scum I think 2 jk's would be least powerful. So, my guess is, 2 trackers + 2 JK. small chance of 1 or 2 vig substitutions instead of JK. Very little chance of WD or hiders being present at all.
Amished
Amished
Mafia Scum
Amished
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #64 (ISO) » Thu Jul 29, 2010 2:41 am

Post by Amished »

Ok, there's one other thing about a janitor: no associative tells.

It's like 2 day 1's in a row. You don't know if defending a person was scum defending a buddy or just going for a townie. It adds a lot of layers of WIFOM there as well. Unfortunately I think if we do an assassin; we can't have a rolecop so it's down to janitor or roleblocker.

I would assume that scum would've thought of two-hiders/docs = mini-mason buddies; and put only one in there and possibly then has that open to a fake-claim. With the talent in the game; that's very easy for me to see that they would do that and the roleblocker would then be a good choice for us since if there is a "safe-claim" for them; every other role would have to claim to prove that one of them is lying.

~ninja'd~ I agree with Rhinox's assessment of probable town power.
I'm going on a crusade to put more thought into my posts.

No, my name is not "Ed."
Patrick
Patrick
Rantbuddy
Patrick
Rantbuddy
Rantbuddy

Post Post #65 (ISO) » Thu Jul 29, 2010 2:52 am

Post by Patrick »

Hoopla wrote:Patrick, I assume the Hider avoids assassin kills, right?
If it's hiding and the assassin tries to shoot it then yeah, it avoids the kill.
Primpod 11:13 pm
chamber can you please come to ukmeet
i would love to finally touch your face
VasudeVa
VasudeVa
Mafia Scum
VasudeVa
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #66 (ISO) » Thu Jul 29, 2010 2:58 am

Post by VasudeVa »

Actually, scratch what I said about what I'd choose. I'd totally do 2vigs - 2trackers. If ever the kill flavor is different, then scum can claim vig(which would make the Janitor doubly dangerous.).

@Hoopla: Well, I thought it was RVS time. Apparently not.

Scum daytalk makes this game around 3x scarier with the player list. Is it permanent or just for day 0?
Call me Vas, ;D A little less active than I used to be due to IRL. Hoping to be back up to speed soon-ish!
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #67 (ISO) » Thu Jul 29, 2010 3:10 am

Post by Rhinox »

Regarding a Janitor: I think it is being underestimated how much this will hinder the town. My views are heavily biased by the no-reveal/partial-reveal games I've been a part of in the past. They always made it more difficult for the town, and the games really dragged. I remember 1 time a mod said after the game that he/she would have eliminated the no-reveal aspects if the game were to be run again. I think I remember 1 game that had a janitor role that covered up 1 lynch in the game, and even that was enough to disorient the town. In addition, what Amished said regarding associative tells, including trying to divine any information about those pushing alternate wagons to the unrevealed player who was lynched.

Janitor is thus my 3rd choice I would give to scum. If I had to accept it, I'd choose to pair it with RB rather than assassin. Choosing between just 1 of RB or assassin, I think RB is a less harmful role than assassin.

So I guess if I rated my preferences from best to worst choices for the town to give to mafia, it would be...

RB
Assassin
Janitor
Day Rolecop

Or, paired role rankings:

RB+Assassin
RB+Janitor
Assassin+Janitor
*RB+Daycop
*Janitor+Daycop
Assassin+Daycop

*interchangeable
Hoopla
Hoopla
Hoopla

Post Post #68 (ISO) » Thu Jul 29, 2010 3:35 am

Post by Hoopla »

populartajo wrote: I really need to think more about the assasin-roleblocker-no PR claim stuff. Hoopla, can you be clearer about this?
Okay, I'll try and sum up the Roleblocker/Assassin argument as eloquently as I can, though Rhinox seems to be doing a better job than me (who just ends up looking like a raving lunatic).

It is almost certain that the roleblocker must be picked as one of the two roles for scum, as any combination of Role-Cop/Janitor/Assassin is more damaging than a couple of roleblocker combinations. But if we are giving the scum a roleblocker, we must lynch any claimed PR's unless they get confirmed innocent somehow. By unvoting a PR claim at L-1, if it is town, the scum will roleblock it, leaving it alive for wifom purposes and we have to gamble on it's validity when it keeps on living. If it is scum, we have just given it an extra day or two. Realistically, as Rhinox points out, we should be lynching PR's once they have claimed, because they do not have a chance to get more information with a scum roleblocker existing - they'll either bite the NK or roleblock. By not lynching a claimed PR, we only stand to lose because if it is scum, we have just given it the benefit of another day of survival, without gaining anything if it is town.

If town agrees this is the correct play, then it makes the assassin a much more feasible option, because we will never have exposed PR claims going into night, and scum has no Role-Cop to find any themselves. Going into N1, N2 and N3 they will almost certainly have less than a 50% chance of hitting a PR with the assassin, and closer to 25% in the earlier days, and likely less if they NK or we lynch a PR early. The assassin waiting that long to kill is a real risk for scum, because it's individual chances of dying before N4, are probably lower than the chances it gets from shooting early and hoping to get lucky.

You have to remember, even if the Assassin does get a hit on N1/N2, it lowers it's odds for it's next shot because of it having a smaller pool to target. The Hider is also untargetable by this extra kill, which might make the odds I listed earlier even lower for the Assassin if it can only hit 2 or 3 roles. So, it is highly unlikely the Assassin will make two kills with it's two shots, and I think the chances of it making one are still lower than most people expect, because of the potential Hiders limiting the pool, and the Assassin needing not to be lynched/NK'ed any time early. This set-up has a high ratio of Vanilla to PR's, so gaining a second night kill will be challenging for scum if we leave no exposed PR's going into night (something we should always be following anyway).

The main concern seems to be about cutting off information PR's are generating, and that isn't completely true. Initially I was espousing a concept of no claims whatsoever, but Rhinox makes a better proposal, that a player must only claim once they have been decided as the lynch, and purely for the reason they don't take any information they could have to the grave. This gives us more information that no-claims-whatsoever, infact, just as much as we would get if we unvoted that PR claim, and tried to leave it alive. That PR won't get any more information, so in practice, we lose very little information over all.

And because we lose little overall, the benefits are weighted in not giving up the Role-Cop or Janitor, which are far more damaging than this plan I have shown you.
SpyreX
SpyreX
POWERFUL WIZARD
SpyreX
POWERFUL WIZARD
POWERFUL WIZARD

Post Post #69 (ISO) » Thu Jul 29, 2010 4:53 am

Post by SpyreX »

I'd probably put 2 trackers / vig / vig or hider. Jailers become very nice towards endgame.

I think even the
potential
for extra NK's is being way undervalued and the harm of a single (because this wouldn't be an argument otherwise) obscured flip is being way overvalued.

And I'm absolutely behind no daycop but the rationale from that to assassin still confuses me: the daycop finds the pr's but an assassin eliminates them in addition to a normal kill. The only PR the assassin doesn't deal with well is the hider.

And PR claim then lynch baffles me - with the idea of trackers being a higher than average chance of being in the game wouldn't leaving a pr claim that is dead anyways to see if a tracker can draw out a kill (this is doubly true if the assassin was given) leaving the actual lynch to at least attempt to hit scum or force the claim-lock? Why play reactive when a live PR of any type is a detriment versus wasting a lynch for them?

In this setup PR claims should be taken with a grain of salt but death on claim?
Show
I always lynch scum... sometimes they're just not mafia. :P

Town: (49-47-1)
Scum: (23-11)
Third Party: (2-0)
Proud member of BaM
Elmo
Elmo
Mafia Scum
Elmo
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #70 (ISO) » Thu Jul 29, 2010 5:15 am

Post by Elmo »

I'm pretty busy packing for the journey tomorrow - I'll try and check in on Saturday.

Vote: Deadline option #2
, on reflection I'm not sure the extra week on Day 1 counts for a lot, and we don't have to lynch very early to save up a week of extra time (later in the game, where it's arguably more valuable) although I'm pretty skeptical about people banking time properly. :P
Kmd4390 wrote:Guys, a daytime rolecop is dangerous. Seriously.
Can people saying this give some kind of reasoning? Discussion is good; I don't see it.

The thing with janitor is that it's rather rare, and few people have played limited/no reveal games, so it's mostly theoretical. The value of a janitor to the mafia is the value we would have got from one reveal, right? If all lynches are of equal value, then if you've got a game with (say) eight lynches, then losing one lynch only loses one eighth of the information from lynching. However, if some lynches are much more informative than others, then it could be a lot worse. I actually find it kinda hard to think of one single lynch that totally blew a game open, but I think this is something that might vary by playstyle. I think people advocating janitor should justify how we can make lynches roughly as important as each other. I'm not sure about the other side effects that Hoopla mentioned. SpyreX saying "just consider both possibilties of them being town/scum" doesn't tally with me; you're doubling the number of possibilities to consider, I think that's rather a bigger deal than you're implying. I guess more discussion is needed.
SpyreX wrote:And I'm absolutely behind no daycop but the rationale from that to assassin still confuses me: the daycop finds the pr's but an assassin eliminates them in addition to a normal kill. The only PR the assassin doesn't deal with well is the hider.
Daycop seems stronger to me, because they can investigate someone every day freely. The assassin has to be pretty careful, considering it's only two-shot.

Assassin makes the game very dependant on whether or not power roles claim. You would have to have a pretty strong read to justify using up a shot without that. I'm not really sure why you'd lynch
any
claimed power role, it seems like the opposite, in fact; I don't follow the logic there at all. I think if we pick the assassin, then rolefishing becomes a bigger tell. I realise the irony of pointing this out, but I think it's good. Assassin is an interesting option, it seems a little like "double-or-nothing".

I think individually the roleblocker looks weakest by a fair way. I don't like the effects of RB+RC, though. I would tentatively approve of RB+assassin at the moment.

If I was scum, my initial thought would be something like two jailkeepers and two hiders. I'm not thinking it through too deeply, because at the moment I don't really see how the best choices change very much.
Succinctness is pro-town.

Passion is inversely proportional to the amount of real information available. ~ Gregory Benford
ekiM
ekiM
Mafia Scum
ekiM
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #71 (ISO) » Thu Jul 29, 2010 5:17 am

Post by ekiM »

First thing I notice is that Day 0 deadline is the 11th of August. No rush.

I massively prefer bankable deadlines because they don't give weird incentives to drag out the day and will give more time later on if we need it.

VOTE: Bankable deadlines

Weak
~
Tracker
- The weakest of the info roles, the others can find a confirmed innocent each night, this dude has a low chance of finding anything at all.
Vig
- Doubled-edged but sharp.
Jailkeeper
- Somewhat useful early, much better later.
Hider
- Can find an innocent each night, gets riskier later on.
Weak doc
- Likely finds an innocent N1 and can keep them alive indefinitely, or go looking for more.
~
Strong

I think we probably have two trackers and some combination of JKs and vigs, possibly a hider.

I highly doubt we have two hiders or docs so I'm opposed to Zorblag's plan.

In terms of mafia roles, three of them are for dealing with power roles, and one is for general mindscrew. I've not had to deal with no-reveal before but to me it sounds like hell. I don't want to play Day 1 twice. Unless I'm convinced otherwise I'm discounting janitor.

Of the others, I think rolecop is the strongest. Infinite shot, day use, day talk. It's going to allow them to find roles quickly. The other two are useless for finding roles, and shots in the dark if roles haven't been found. If we went with this idea of allowing claims but not treating them as averting a lynch, then the only way they'd find roles is by luck, quite low odds. So my initial thinking is that Assassin and Roleblocker are the way to go.
SpyreX
SpyreX
POWERFUL WIZARD
SpyreX
POWERFUL WIZARD
POWERFUL WIZARD

Post Post #72 (ISO) » Thu Jul 29, 2010 5:26 am

Post by SpyreX »

Even a missed assassin gives the some daycop-esque information (while it can be interfered with). I could easily see using one shot early and saving the other.

And not having the flip != no information from the day.
VC analysis? Plug both, compile results, compare against other flips.
Day analysis? Just read the day and look at it from both sides.

I look at it like a death miller claim or any of those others - it sucks, but it doesn't destroy the game. Especially not of the potential others have.

Does it hurt if we're at lylo? Sure. Of course I'd like to think we can avoid that, but death warrant for PR's I think is a faster and harder hurt.
Show
I always lynch scum... sometimes they're just not mafia. :P

Town: (49-47-1)
Scum: (23-11)
Third Party: (2-0)
Proud member of BaM
mith
mith
Godfather
mith
Godfather
Godfather

Post Post #73 (ISO) » Thu Jul 29, 2010 5:30 am

Post by mith »

Hoopla: My main concern isn't cutting off night-generated information; it's cutting off information from the claim itself, and the reaction to it. (And I say this having last played regularly in a meta where there was an overreliance on claims and I was perpetually arguing in favor of not claiming and/or lynching claimed power roles, so it's a bit weird to say. But those arguments were situation-specific, whereas your argument is policy lynching power role claims.)

The problem with your plan is that if we have a power role claim that we *don't* want to lynch (because it's believable for whatever set of circumstances, if not completely confirmed - like a Vigilante claiming a nightkill on scum and not being countered), we are forced to either lynch that player anyway (dumb) or gift wrap an extra nightkill to the scum.

Anyway. I am less against this plan than I was last night, even given the potential problems I see. It's basically a choice of giving them a Rolecop and having our power roles die faster, or giving them an Assassin and risking an extra kill or two (but one which can potentially be blocked by three of the roles we might have in the game - the Jailkeeper becomes more useful in an Assassin/Roleblocker game, because a confirmed innocent power role claim can be protected from the Assassin while the downside of the role being blocked is mitigated somewhat by the presence of a Roleblocker who would probably already be blocking that role).

I'm more firmly against the Janitor this morning for the following reason: Without the Janitor in play, we are at the very least able to keep power role claims accountable by the knowledge that there are exactly four of them.

Troll: I don't think a 2-Hider setup is likely enough to make your plan worthwile. (And I'm especially concerned that there might be no Hider, but one of the scum might claim Hider - I'm not sure how we could deal with that effectively.)
ekiM
ekiM
Mafia Scum
ekiM
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #74 (ISO) » Thu Jul 29, 2010 5:51 am

Post by ekiM »

@mod

"During day 0, you can vote and unvote as normal, except that you have two votes, since you're giving the mafia two perks. You can't put both your votes on the same perk. Once both perks are chosen, the game starts."

What exactly is the procedure here? If a role gets 11 votes is it then "locked in" and everyone has one vote for the second role? Or?

OK I changed my mind on the "lynch all claims to screw with the assassin" thing. Not worth it.

I think if we decide whether we can deal with a janitor or not first that clarifies thinking.

If we have a janitor then roleblocker. If no janitor then roleblocker and assassin?

Return to “Completed Large Theme Games”