Mafia spreadsheets.

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
gslamm
gslamm
Goon
gslamm
Goon
Goon

Mafia spreadsheets.

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Wed Sep 10, 2003 12:26 am

Post by gslamm »

Several people have mentioned using a spreadsheet of some kind to track information on their games. My questions are: What kind of info do you track? Why use a spreadsheet?(isn't that for number crunching) Whats the layout of your sheet look like?

I have a notebook beside the computer that I scratch down important events (who's dead) and statements, vote patterns and claims on. Very disorganized, hardly exhaustive, often wrong. Would appreciate some direction here.

[Disclaimer] The above post refers only to myself as a player. As a mod I'm on top of it. So go sign up for my regular mini. [/disclaimer]
[size=84]"Hmm, wow.. I'll just sit back and watch the stupidity continue to unfold.. "- genku Mixed Theme [/size]
mole
mole
die suck die
mole
die suck die
die suck die

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Wed Sep 10, 2003 12:36 am

Post by mole »

I really only use a spreadsheet when I'm modding, or if I want to work out some probability of something (say, of Mafia family 1 winning if they have two members and Family 2 has 3...) and I'm too lazy to write a program for it...

I remember a the players using them in Mini 2 (standard dethy^2*), in order to keep track of which combinations of roles fit with all the claims people made.

*For those who don't know standard dethy mafia, it's a five player game with 1 mafia, 4 cops of different sanities. Mini 2 had three mafia, and 9 cops of different sanities.
shelper
shelper
Moxious
shelper
Moxious
Moxious

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Wed Sep 10, 2003 1:55 am

Post by shelper »

I only kept a spreadsheet once and that was a mafia game where clues were send out to each townie.
Just used it as a quick glance who's clues looked made-up or who didnt reveal their clues at all.
MeMe
MeMe
Post or Perish
MeMe
Post or Perish
Post or Perish

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Wed Sep 10, 2003 2:25 am

Post by MeMe »

I track role claims, voting patterns, random notes, posting dates...I
definitely
couldn't mod without one but would feel lost even just as a player without it. I don't know if you're @ all interested, but I could email you the way one of mine looks mid-game.

And as "why the spreadsheet" -- because it has cells of information, you can have a row for each player and even through a long game, the info stays all together (just clicking the pointer on a cell displays the entire contents therein without taking up all the screen space for everything).
Remember...It's not a lie if you believe it. -- G. Costanza
Fishbulb
Fishbulb
Mafia Scum
Fishbulb
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Wed Sep 10, 2003 2:39 am

Post by Fishbulb »

Maybe I should try something like that. It takes awhile to re-read the whole thread if a new player seems suspect. Especially helpful near end-game when you need to figure out who is together, and who isn't.

Now I am curious, MeMe. Mind sending me one? I'd like to see how the pros do it. :wink:
[url=http://fishbulb515.blogspot.com/][b]Fishblog![/b][/url]
mathcam
mathcam
Captain Observant
mathcam
Captain Observant
Captain Observant

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Wed Sep 10, 2003 3:45 am

Post by mathcam »

I definitely need a spreadsheet for modding (especially with all the night choices in the Blinvitational...sheesh!), but for playing, I just keep a straight text file with notes on everyone...you know, social security number, credit card info, mother's maiden name, embarassing incidents, etc.

Cam
Macros
Macros
Fear the Random Hobos
Macros
Fear the Random Hobos
Fear the Random Hobos

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Wed Sep 10, 2003 8:50 am

Post by Macros »

only for modding, as a player, i try to remember stuff :)
Oh the huge manatee!!
mathcam
mathcam
Captain Observant
mathcam
Captain Observant
Captain Observant

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Wed Sep 10, 2003 9:44 am

Post by mathcam »

That was basically my strategy until Intrigue Mafia hit....

Cam
Dragon Slayer
Dragon Slayer
It was THIS big!
Dragon Slayer
It was THIS big!
It was THIS big!

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Wed Sep 10, 2003 11:34 am

Post by Dragon Slayer »

Hahaaha.

That's all i gotto say to that... :lol:
Ever wonder why that edit button is obnoxiously placed in the center like that? Yeah, that's cause of me.. and trust me, it's better off there.
JereIC
JereIC
Dr. Pants on Fire
JereIC
Dr. Pants on Fire
Dr. Pants on Fire

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Wed Sep 10, 2003 11:43 am

Post by JereIC »

I've tried to keep a spreadsheet as a player, but I end up abandoning it pretty quickly and relying on rereading and "Hey, wait a minute..." moments. I always feel like there's too much to record, or I'm not recording the right stuff. MeMe, I'd like to see your example if possible.
Stewie
Stewie
Mafia Scum
Stewie
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Wed Sep 10, 2003 12:03 pm

Post by Stewie »

I want to see MeMe's exaple too.

As a player, I like to remember stuff, I enjoy the game more... well, I never tried to do spreadsheet... To the h*ll with it, I'm just too lazy! :) Now, for modding, I'll have to make a document for it.
shadyforce
shadyforce
U-S-E_T-H-E_F-O-R-C-E
shadyforce
U-S-E_T-H-E_F-O-R-C-E
U-S-E_T-H-E_F-O-R-C-E

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Wed Sep 10, 2003 11:32 pm

Post by shadyforce »

Heh, I'd like to see you keep a spreadsheet on Antrax's Mixed theme.

I do it all from memory except where I compile a list of things like rumours claimed in rumours.
[size=75][color=darkblue]I'm never wrong... well I was wrong once but that was when I thought I'd made a mistake but hadn't.[/color][/size]
Sugar
Sugar
moderately caffeinated
Sugar
moderately caffeinated
moderately caffeinated

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Thu Sep 11, 2003 2:20 pm

Post by Sugar »

After seeing one of MeMe's spreadsheets months ago, I started doing the same. Now, I cannot imagine how I'd play without one. As many have said, it's practically impossible to mod without it. But when you're a player, it's great to have all the game info and your thoughts handy, especially to glance at before composing a post.
[color=#500000] [size=75]Man! Today is so loopy! - The Tick[/size][/color]
Dourgrim
Dourgrim
Yep. Again.
Dourgrim
Yep. Again.
Yep. Again.

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Thu Sep 11, 2003 8:47 pm

Post by Dourgrim »

I'd love to see your spreadsheet, MeMe. I use one when modding... I'd like to see how you have yours formatted. A Players' Sheet would be interesting to see also.
[size=75]The point of the journey is not to arrive...[/size]
PolarBoy
PolarBoy
Sir Not-Appearing-In-This-Mafia
PolarBoy

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Thu Sep 11, 2003 9:38 pm

Post by PolarBoy »

I've been been experimenting with playing with and without a spreadsheet, and I find that when I have the spreadsheet, I frequently mark things down that turn out to mean nothing later on, or I mark them unclearly and don't know what I was thinking when I wrote it. It's nice to have though to not have to back through the thread every time you want to remember a detail. I found that without the sheet I was more inclined to read the thread several times, which is good practice with or without the sheet, as there's no way you'll mark everything that turns out to be important. So I figure I'm gonna have to strike some happy medium. Just remember that it's dangerous to trust your notes implicitly, as you can make mistakes on them.
MUNSCM Delegate for the United Kingdom
Check out the [url=http://www.mafiascum.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?HomePage]ScumWiki[/url], and while you're at it, check out [url=http://www.mafiascum.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?DocumentModeMafia]DocumentModeMafia[/url]
Samadhi
Samadhi
Townie
Samadhi
Townie
Townie
Location: What is A place where something is or could be located, Alex

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Wed Dec 03, 2003 12:30 pm

Post by Samadhi »

I have mine count my votes and tell me who's lynched and stuff. Saves time (except the time to make it) and it was fun to make.
mathcam
mathcam
Captain Observant
mathcam
Captain Observant
Captain Observant

Post Post #16 (ISO) » Wed Dec 03, 2003 12:59 pm

Post by mathcam »

I think you must have the lowest positive "average posts/day" on the site. :)

Welcome back!

Cam
Quagmire
Quagmire
Mafia Scum
Quagmire
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #17 (ISO) » Wed Dec 03, 2003 1:02 pm

Post by Quagmire »

Did Samadhi....say McDonalds?:P

Anyways, I don't need a spreadsheet, because I'm all too organised. All I use is a notepad with everyhing I would ever want on it. If you wanna know how I do it, PM me and I'll send you what is needed to show.
Wacky
Wacky
Goon
Wacky
Goon
Goon

Post Post #18 (ISO) » Thu Dec 04, 2003 12:26 am

Post by Wacky »

I would love to see MeMe's example as well.

I used a spreadsheet when I modded and only for immensely complicated games (read: any game > 12 players) when I'm not mafia. And if its really complicated, I end up with 2 spreadsheets and 1 word document. Usually I get bored and dump it though.

Rereading also helps. More so than a spreadsheet. It's a matter of personal preference really.
...whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.
Dasquian
Dasquian
Mafia Scum
Dasquian
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #19 (ISO) » Thu Dec 04, 2003 12:52 am

Post by Dasquian »

I have a gut feeling that keeping spreadsheets and notepads are usually going to lead you into dead-ends since context is so relevant to Mafia - then again, I don't really keep any notes as a player (as a mod, everything goes down in a big word doc) and, much to my shame, I'm a hideously unobservant player :)

Part of the problem is that I divide my time between home and work so I can't really keep documents updated that easily... I should try experimenting with notes to see how it goes.
Thoth
Thoth
Not the spot
Thoth
Not the spot
Not the spot

Post Post #20 (ISO) » Thu Dec 04, 2003 12:52 am

Post by Thoth »

I would like to see one of MeMe's sheets as well, but I can understand that she maybe doesn't want to send it to everyone.

I use a spreadsheet myself as well. 2 rows per player. 7 fixed columns and 4 'daily' columns, giving me 14 fixed cells and 4 cells for each day per player, with each cell a specific category(some categories need 2 cells). I mark down role claims, votes, vote counts, interesting posts, count of 'no content' posts, total posts, suspicious postnumbers(I would really like to see postnumbers get back in the threads, making this more easy), townie posts (hard to get), association and disassociaton with other players, and a few other categories that I'd like to keep to myself :wink: .
Gammie
Gammie
Townie
Gammie
Townie
Townie

Post Post #21 (ISO) » Tue Dec 09, 2003 2:43 pm

Post by Gammie »

I love Excel...I use it to keep track of who's suspicious, role claims, last post date, basically exactly everything MeMe said.

If I ever modded, I would probably use a Word Document instead to keep track of roles and make sure I have a
big
space inbetween each role :lol:
[size=75][b][color=gray]You miss 100% of the shots you├óÔé¼Ôäóll never take ├óÔé¼ÔÇ£ Wayne Gretzky
I├óÔé¼Ôäóm not dumb enough to be a goalie ├óÔé¼ÔÇ£ Brad Hull[/color][/b][/size]
Norinel
Norinel
Not Voting (3)
Norinel
Not Voting (3)
Not Voting (3)

Post Post #22 (ISO) » Wed Dec 10, 2003 12:52 am

Post by Norinel »

I play by memory (Since I'm only in a few games at a time), and mod with a long text file with just about everything I've ever sent, received, posted, or might post. Maybe I should try to make something when I'm playing along the lines of the summary I made in London, to sort of ease into it.
shadyforce
shadyforce
U-S-E_T-H-E_F-O-R-C-E
shadyforce
U-S-E_T-H-E_F-O-R-C-E
U-S-E_T-H-E_F-O-R-C-E

Post Post #23 (ISO) » Wed Dec 10, 2003 3:41 am

Post by shadyforce »

This is an example of the info I keep on a spreadsheet. I haven't finished a game using this yet, but when I do, I'll show you it.
[size=75][color=darkblue]I'm never wrong... well I was wrong once but that was when I thought I'd made a mistake but hadn't.[/color][/size]

Post Post #24 (ISO) » Tue Dec 23, 2003 7:20 am

Post by Guest »

I've only played a few mafia games and am now (for the first time) trying to keep info in a spreadsheet. What I now have is digests of posts, so when the game drags on I can easily get a summary of posts. In addition I have a separate page with roleclaims.

I'm still not sure what the ideal is (although I feel a database thing would be better than a spreadsheet). If anyone else wants to post their spreadsheets, please do. I want to improve mine :)

Return to “Mafia Discussion”