Post by Hoopla »

Mini 956: The Quayside

Mod:
Hoopla
Reviewers:
mykonian, ortolan, Thesp
Back-up Mod:
mykonian

A lighthouse sits atop a coastal hill, sharing her friendly beams with the Quayside. Sadly, like so many other quaint smalltown creations, it was merely a relic of the past. For these days the Quayside has been hotly pursued by corporate fat cats, drooling over such prime, untarnished coastline. And so the story goes - a once thriving fishing village, torn apart by the lure, the mantra of big business propaganda.

One man fighting this takeover was the enigmatic mayor of the Quayside, Ythill. After winning the local election some ten years ago, Ythill had grown as a leader, never relinquishing his position. He had a warm, personal way of connecting with the locals, combined with canny prioritizing - he juggled the town's minimal resources as deftly as he juggled his women. But like all juggling acts, there is a chance it can all come crashing down...

Survived (3/12):

Ectomancer,
Mafia Goon

Incognito,
Mafia Roleblocker

McGriddle,
Mafia Roleblocker

Dead (9/12):

D1 lynch>
NabakovNabakov,
Town Role-Cop

N1 kill>
Patrick,
Vanilla Townie

D2 lynch>
SerialClergyman,
Vanilla Townie

N2 kill>
popsofctown,
Town Weak Doctor

D3 lynch>
RedCoyote,
Vanilla Townie

Endgamed>
Goatrevolt,
Vanilla Townie

Endgamed>
Elmo,
Vanilla Townie

Endgamed>
Jahudo,
Town Mason

Endgamed>
iamausername,
Town Mason
Last edited by Hoopla on Mon May 17, 2010 7:58 pm, edited 18 times in total.
Hoopla
Hoopla
Hoopla

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Sun Apr 11, 2010 10:28 am

Post by Hoopla »

The Rules - Please read them!

>
Fundamental

1)
The site-wide rules apply, please read them and don't do anything stupid.
2)
Unless it is explicitly stated in your role PM that you can do so, do not talk about this game outside of the game thread.
3)
Do not quote/screenshot any communication you have with me, the moderator of the game. You may paraphrase things I have sent you (such as a role title, abilities and results) but direct quoting and talk about role PM flavour is not allowed.
4)
Be courteous to your fellow player. This is just a game - please don't bring any personal grudges in. Lets have fun, okay!

>
Voting, Lynching & Death

5)
For your vote to be counted, it must be bold, and in the form
Vote: Hoopla
. Caps and colons are optional, but it does need to be bolded.
6)
Unvotes aren't necessary, but will be appreciated.
7)
A lynch will occur when a player achieves 50% +1 of the votes. When this has happened, any subsequent votes and unvotes will not be counted, and the game will enter twilight. Night will begin as soon as I have declared the lynch.
8)
The town may opt to 'no lynch' in lieu of lynching a player on any day.
Vote: No Lynch
is the format for this. No lynching requires only 50% of the town's votes to go through, as opposed to a majority.
9)
Once you're dead, you are dead. Do not post in the thread until the game is over, not even a 'bah' post, for real.

>
Activity & Deadlines

10)
Prods will be issued after 48 hours in a row without posting (weekends count as one day) or under request from players. Multiple prods will probably lead to your replacement.
11)
Things come up in life. If you need time off for something, please let myself and the players know in-thread for V/LA purposes. I will be flexible, but if you can't be here for a signifigant amount of time I will replace you.
12)
This game is using bankable deadlines. This means that any unused time from a Day Phase carries over to the next day.
13)
Day 1 deadline is set for 14 days, while every Day Phase thereafter is set for 10 days (before adding any banked time).
14)
In the event of a deadline ending without a player gaining a majority of votes, there will be no lynch.
15)
Nights will have a 72 hour deadline. If you fail to send in a nightaction, you will automatically default to 'no action' for that night, and you will do nothing.
16)
In the event of replacements or any other disturbances, I will grant a deadline extension. Laziness isn't an excuse though.

>
Miscellaneous

17)
Please do not use small/invisible text, stenography or advanced forms of coding/cryptography. Breadcrumbing is an acceptable form of basic coding. Please contact me via PM if you're unsure about where the line is.
18)
Blue
is my colour I will use for modly purposes. All other colours are fair game.
19)
Any flavour text I write will have no indication of any player's alignment. Feel free to waste your time guessing if you want though.
20)
Do not try to exploit any loopholes there may be in this rule-set. I reserve the right to add, remove or modify existing rules at any time. If this happens, I will let everyone know.

This game is using a closed set-up. Here are a few examples of role PM's that may or may not be in the game;

Vanilla Townie

You are a loyal citizen of Quayside, eager to topple the reign of the mafia. Your only power is your vote and your wit, which during the day you will use to hopefully catch the mafia.

Additional Abilities:
N/A
Win Condition:
You win when all threats to the town are eliminated, and there is at least one town-aligned player alive.

The game thread is <here>. Please confirm via PM by quoting your role title.

Mafia Roleblocker

Over the last few years, you and your partner(s) have been let down by the Quayside's grotesque idealism. With town numbers dwindling, and the stigma attached to murder slowly desensitizing, it is the perfect opportunity to take this town by storm, and reap the financial rewards you so thoroughly deserve by selling out the Quayside.

Additional Abilities:
Each night, and during confirmations, you and your partner(s) may talk together at this <quicktopic>.
Each night, your team may attempt to kill any player in the game by one of you submitting a name to me via PM. In the event I receive more than one name, the last one I receive will count.
Each night, you may use your personal roleblock ability. You may not block and submit the group kill in the same night. If the player you block has a blockable action, they will not be notified, unless it is an investigation role, which will receive 'no result'.
Win Condition:
You win when your mafia faction makes up 50% of the town, and nothing can prevent you from winning.

Town Tracker

After a fruitful career in private investigation, your skills have finally found a just cause. No longer will you be a dirty perv, stalking for petty, distrusting spouses - you can actually make a difference, and help save the Quayside.

Additional Abilities:
Each night you may investigate one player, and find out who they targetted (if anyone) for that night. You will not find out what their specific action was.
Win Condition:
You win when all threats to the town are eliminated, and there is at least one town-aligned player alive.

Hoopla
Hoopla
Hoopla

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Sun Apr 11, 2010 10:34 am

Post by Hoopla »

A letter was slid under Ythill's door late one night. He didn't discover it until the next morning, and was perplexed by this gesture. Even in this remote village, technology wasn't a mystery, with many locals using email as their prefered method of communication. He came to the conclusion that it must be a romantic letter from a lover, sealed and sent to stimulate a sense of nostalgic curiousity. Opening the letter over warm oatmeal, Ythill's innocent assumptions disintergrated after reading the first line;

This is a death threat. Leave town by tomorrow, or your head will be divorced from your body.
The spoon dropped from Ythill's mouth, he couldn't stand divorce. He read on;

Your anti-development policies are harming the Quayside, and no longer will you stand in the way. In case you haven't put the pieces of the puzzle together yet, we are an underground movement powerful enough to take this town with violent bloodshed. However, we're prepared to be peaceful, for now, if you follow these precise instructions;

1) Retire and sign the town deed over to the Quayside Mafia
2) Flee the Quayside and never return
3) Do not tell a soul what you have done and where you have gone
Ythill's gut wrenched. It was scary, like when you finished the 7th world in Super Mario Bros. 3 expecting a letter from the princess, but getting a horrifying, seizure-inducing piece of hate-mail from Bowser instead. Yet, deep down, he had a small inkling a mafia presence had developed recently - people seemed to be staying inside at night, they'd look over their shoulder when gossiping, and fake moustache sales were up 30%. And perhaps he was naive, and should have expected personal greed to surface when big companies were offering big money for this land. But it was too late now.

Hastily scoffing the remnants of his oatmeal, Ythill's first instincts were to start packing and get away immediately. His head was swirling, thoughts clouded by fear and confusion - hands filled with socks. He clumsily stuffed a floral print suitcase with a collection of clothes, valuables and other Quayside memorabilia he was particular fond of. He cursed as a framed picture of the Quayside predating his time, cracked under the mound of clothes he was shoveling in. He then sighed, suddenly thinking of all the people; his friends, his lovers, his family - all living under this heinous mafia regime, and was overcome by a great sense of guilt and failure. He had to call a town meeting.

The afternoon rolled around quickly, which did nothing but fuel Ythill's anxiety. He had a heightened sense of paranoia - something he'd not felt before, at least not to this degree, and sober. Every unusual sound was met with a snap of the neck, eager to catch out it's creator, who would presumably pocket a handgun right at the last moment, confirming Ythill's suspicions, and rewarding his obsessive vigilance. But it didn't happen - at least not yet. The internal debate between conscience and survival-based sensibilities waged on, and was eventually decided, painfully. He would make a final, but fleeting appearance at town hall and vanish forever. It tore him up inside, and he pitied his cowardice, but he could not bring himself to take such a risk with his own life.

The crowd slowly trickled in around four, staying true to their positive response to
'Ythill's cool town meeting, be there or be square!'
facebook event he'd sent to everyone in his network. Even some of the 'maybe's' showed up. Ythill arrived shortly after, having spent his last afternoon rushing his final address to the patriotic town. He had a series of messy palm cards, outlining some of his fondest memories, and what he loved about the Quayside. But he also knew he couldn't get too emotional - it was going to be difficult. When the time came, he nervously shuffled on stage, scanning the crowd, still expecting a rogue individual to be lurking in the corner with a rifle lining up his head. But instead he saw the adoring town, homemade banners and excited faces. He couldn't do it, he couldn't sell these people out.

'Loyal Quaysiders', Ythill began, putting his palm cards back into his pockets.

'This morning I was sent a death threat by the Quayside Mafia', the crowd gasped.

'And for the last few hours I've been planning my retirement speech, sifting through combinations of words, figuring out how to say goodbye. But no matter what I came up with, it felt hollow. I know now it felt hollow because I was planning to flee, and leave you all behind. And I can't do it',

'Ladies and gentleman, these bastards, these
traitors,
are going to kill us if they don't get their way, and there aren't any guarentees even if we do comply. But I say we FIGHT! I say we find out who these animals are, and we bring them to justice!'

The crowd errupted into violent cheers of agreement, pumping their fists in unison, chanting obscenities I don't dare type.

Giddy with adrenaline, Ythill confidently strode home, at peace with the prospect of becoming a martyr. While his beliefs were reinforced through crowd passion, his face was about to be reinforced in a loud fashion (with bullets, you know).

BAM BAM BAM

Ythill's bin thudded, as he dragged it down the porch frontsteps, and out to the roadside. His life may have been in jeopardy, but this still wouldn't stand in the way of performing important household chores.

BANG

The lid resounded in the cold, clear night, as Ythill closed the bin for the morning's garbage collection.

Walking back inside, he couldn't help but feel slightly offput by his surroundings. Something was wrong. A cool draft was filtering through the hallway - it was then he noticed the glass in his back door had been broken. Shocked back into reality, Ythill's senses numbed, stumbling through the house to find an escape. But it was too late.

Ythill, Town Mayor (NPC) has been killed.
Hoopla
Hoopla
Hoopla

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Sun Apr 11, 2010 7:07 pm

Post by Hoopla »

The town awoke to the grim news of Ythill's death, face down bleeding into the carpet, the back of his head missing. The details were just gruesome. All of a sudden, the passion and raw energy behind the prospect of winning the town back had collapsed - it felt like a hopeless cause. People fled in their droves, abandoning their houses, businesses and small farm properties, leaving the town eerily quiet.

Only twelve people showed up to the town hall that day - a meagre twelve people. It was pathetic really, but still in a small way inspiring knowing there were some who still cared, prepared to die for their town. Here is what they had to say;

Everybody has confirmed, so Day 1 begins now. Due to speedy confirmations, any roles/factions with the ability to talk out of thread have an additional 24 hours to talk.
Hoopla
Hoopla
Hoopla

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Sun Apr 11, 2010 7:07 pm

Post by Hoopla »

Day 1, Vote Count #1

With twelve alive, it takes seven votes to lynch. Deadline is schedueled for 7:00AM GMT, April 26th <Countdown>.

Not voting
-
(RedCoyote, SerialClergyman, Incognito, Goatrevolt, NabakovNabakov, Jahudo, popsofctown, iamausername, Elmo, Patrick, Ectomancer, McGriddle)

Just a reminder of how the deadlines will function this game;

12)
This game is using bankable deadlines. This means that any unused time from a Day Phase carries over to the next day.
13)
Day 1 deadline is set for 14 days, while every Day Phase thereafter is set for 10 days (before adding any banked time).
14)
In the event of a deadline ending without a player gaining a majority of votes, there will be no lynch.
popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: She

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Sun Apr 11, 2010 7:40 pm

Post by popsofctown »

Vote: Incognito

I know you from somewhere but can't remember where. USually those cases ultimately turn out to be "oh yeah I saw him murdering a guy at a bar one time".
"Let us say that you are right and there are two worlds. How much, then, is this 'other world' worth to you? What do you have there that you do not have here? Money? Power? Something worth causing the prince so much pain for?'"
"Well, I..."
"What? Nothing? You would make the prince suffer over... nothing?"
Goatrevolt
Goatrevolt
Pond Scum
Goatrevolt
Pond Scum
Pond Scum

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Sun Apr 11, 2010 8:26 pm

Post by Goatrevolt »

Vote popsofctown

Were you happy or sad when you got a scum role in this game?
popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Sun Apr 11, 2010 8:49 pm

Post by popsofctown »

How did you feel when you stopped beating your wife? I felt about like that.
"Let us say that you are right and there are two worlds. How much, then, is this 'other world' worth to you? What do you have there that you do not have here? Money? Power? Something worth causing the prince so much pain for?'"
"Well, I..."
Goatrevolt
Goatrevolt
Pond Scum
Goatrevolt
Pond Scum
Pond Scum

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Sun Apr 11, 2010 10:09 pm

Post by Goatrevolt »

So you're telling us you got a scum role. Thanks for the honesty. This whole forum mafia thing is quite a bit easier than I thought it would be.

Oh, I'm sorry. In my excitement I must have failed to answer your question. I felt pretty good when I stopped beating my wife. I was liberated from some personal barriers that had kept me restricted from being a respected and informed member of society. My wife is much happier too, and we've really started to patch our marriage back together again.
Patrick
Patrick
Rantbuddy
Patrick
Rantbuddy
Rantbuddy

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Sun Apr 11, 2010 10:53 pm

Post by Patrick »

Vote: Goatrevolt

Kill before end of page.
Primpod 11:13 pm
chamber can you please come to ukmeet
i would love to finally touch your face
popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Sun Apr 11, 2010 11:14 pm

Post by popsofctown »

unvote, vote: Goatrevolt

I mean yeah, I don't have any reason to think he's scum, but LET'S MAKE HIM LOSE, he BEAT his WIFE guys!
"Well, I..."
Patrick
Patrick
Rantbuddy
Patrick
Rantbuddy
Rantbuddy

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Sun Apr 11, 2010 11:36 pm

Post by Patrick »

pops wrote:I mean yeah, I don't have any reason to think he's scum,
Why this qualifier?
Primpod 11:13 pm
chamber can you please come to ukmeet
i would love to finally touch your face
SerialClergyman
SerialClergyman
Mafia Scum
SerialClergyman
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Sun Apr 11, 2010 11:39 pm

Post by SerialClergyman »

Last time I played with hoopla I got modkilled. Here's to hoping my jockular humor and piecemeal reasoning gets a little farther this time ><

I'd vote goat but I'm a little uncool with the domestic violence schtick that I don't understand. Interestingly, in Australia we had a domestic violence campaign that was widely mocked amongst us neds because it read (violent act) - that's assault. Those chemically minded created arguably the smartest yet stupidest graffiti ever - 'NaCl - that's a salt'.

True story.

vote iamausername

He knows why.
I'm old now.
SerialClergyman
SerialClergyman
Mafia Scum
SerialClergyman
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Sun Apr 11, 2010 11:44 pm

Irritatingly, my girlfriend has discovered that I regularly have a piece of information that I consider interesting but know it'll be a hard sell, like statistics that run against conventional wisdom or a random scientific fact. Rather than just keep it to myself, I attempt to push on with the conversation, but in a semi-conscious act of desperation, I start the sentence with 'Interestingly, ....'

I relate this story so that you all may benefit from the knowledge she has sacrificed so much time and energy in gaining, and can easily identify these said boring whims and ignore them safely.
I'm old now.
Elmo
Elmo
Mafia Scum
Elmo
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:12 am

Post by Elmo »

vote goatrevolt
Succinctness is pro-town.

Passion is inversely proportional to the amount of real information available. ~ Gregory Benford
Incognito
Incognito
Not Rex
Incognito
Not Rex
Not Rex

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:13 am

Post by Incognito »

Hi.

1)
Patrick
2)
Elmo
Original Roll String: 1d2
1 2-Sided Dice: (1) = 1
1)
vote
2)
Major FoS
Original Roll String: 1d2
1 2-Sided Dice: (2) = 2
[ooc][color=black]patrickgower2006 (8:12:03 PM): all beer tastes same to me
patrickgower2006 (8:12:07 PM): like dish water
If you see Patrick drinking dish water, please try and stop him. Friends don't let friends drink dish water.[/color][/ooc]
Incognito
Incognito
Not Rex
Incognito
Not Rex
Not Rex

Post Post #16 (ISO) » Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:17 am

Post by Incognito »

vote: Elmo
Major FoS: Patrick

42%, bitches.
Post 5, popsofctown wrote:I know you from somewhere but can't remember where. USually those cases ultimately turn out to be "oh yeah I saw him murdering a guy at a bar one time".
I modded you in that Open game that I created. Weak M.D.

On the topic of beating significant others, I haven't beaten mine in awhile because... well, I don't HAVE one right now. Unless you can consider yourself your own significant other in which case, yeah.
[ooc][color=black]patrickgower2006 (8:12:03 PM): all beer tastes same to me
patrickgower2006 (8:12:07 PM): like dish water
If you see Patrick drinking dish water, please try and stop him. Friends don't let friends drink dish water.[/color][/ooc]
Ectomancer
Ectomancer
Mafia Scum
Ectomancer
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #17 (ISO) » Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:32 am

Post by Ectomancer »

vote SerialClergyman

Lynch that which you don't understand. It's a time honored human tradition.
I have a degree in bullshit. I have patents on entire lines of bullshit. So don't sit here and feed me a line of bullshit and think that I'm not going to recognize it as one.

This unsupported statement brought to you by the Anti-Supported Statement League of the United States and Territories (ASSLUST)
Ectomancer
Ectomancer
Mafia Scum
Ectomancer
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #18 (ISO) » Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:37 am

Post by Ectomancer »

SerialClergyman wrote:Irritatingly, my girlfriend has discovered that I regularly have a piece of information that I consider interesting but know it'll be a hard sell, like statistics that run against conventional wisdom or a random scientific fact. Rather than just keep it to myself, I attempt to push on with the conversation, but in a semi-conscious act of desperation, I start the sentence with 'Interestingly, ....'

I relate this story so that you all may benefit from the knowledge she has sacrificed so much time and energy in gaining, and can easily identify these said boring whims and ignore them safely.
What exactly is this supposed to be, and why was it such an important follow up to your first post? To paraphrase: I talk out of my butt alot. You can safely ignore those instances.

What?
I have a degree in bullshit. I have patents on entire lines of bullshit. So don't sit here and feed me a line of bullshit and think that I'm not going to recognize it as one.

This unsupported statement brought to you by the Anti-Supported Statement League of the United States and Territories (ASSLUST)
Jahudo
Jahudo
Mafia Scum
Jahudo
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #19 (ISO) » Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:46 am

Post by Jahudo »

This thread smells like birthday cake :D

Vote: SerialClergyman
iamausername
iamausername
Mafia Scum
iamausername
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #20 (ISO) » Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:47 am

Post by iamausername »

A question for all; if you were scum, how would we tell?

A question just for McGriddle; as the only player who didn't join this game by invitation, how do you feel about the player list?

Vote: RedCoyote

Based on past experience, I'll end up doing this sooner or later, so I might as well get it out the way now.
McGriddle
McGriddle
Mafia Scum
McGriddle
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #21 (ISO) » Mon Apr 12, 2010 2:31 am

Post by McGriddle »

iamausername wrote:A question for all; if you were scum, how would we tell?

A question just for McGriddle; as the only player who didn't join this game by invitation, how do you feel about the player list?
You could tell if I were scum by me saying "Hai guis I am scum" or something of the sort. Other than that, I don't really know, apparantly I am a bad scum though so this being an experienced game, you would probably know by the end of the day whether I was scum or not lol.
SerialClergyman wrote:
vote iamausername

He knows why.
What is THIS supposed to mean? Does this mean that you discussed with one of your scum buddies at the beginning of the game and told him you would vote for him?

Vote: SerialClergyman
Wins/Losses - 99/15

McGriddle
McGriddle
Mafia Scum
McGriddle
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #22 (ISO) » Mon Apr 12, 2010 2:34 am

Post by McGriddle »

EBWOP: "A question just for McGriddle; as the only player who didn't join this game by invitation, how do you feel about the player list?"

I like the player list, I know half of the peeps from previous games already so I am kinda confident that my playstyle will not come as a shock to them.

(I tend to be a little too aggressive when it comes to following my hunches)
Wins/Losses - 99/15

SerialClergyman
SerialClergyman
Mafia Scum
SerialClergyman
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #23 (ISO) » Mon Apr 12, 2010 2:46 am

Ecto wrote:What exactly is this supposed to be, and why was it such an important follow up to your first post? To paraphrase: I talk out of my butt alot. You can safely ignore those instances.

What?
Ecto - you've been brought undone by your own reasoning. If your paraphrase is correct, why aren't you taking my advice? :D
I'm old now.
NabakovNabakov
NabakovNabakov
LalitaLalita
NabakovNabakov
LalitaLalita
LalitaLalita

Post Post #24 (ISO) » Mon Apr 12, 2010 2:48 am

Post by NabakovNabakov »

Username wrote: A question for all; if you were scum, how would we tell?
I wouldn't post close to deadline. It's my biggest hang-up as scum, and it's more pathological than tactical, so it's a hard habit to break.

Vote: Ectomancer
Show
"Shut up!" one woman shouted at another.

"You shut up!" the second woman shouted back.

"I agree with NN"
-Yosarian2

Return to “Completed Mini Normal Games”