Newbie 936 >Game Over!<

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
Nikanor
Nikanor
Jack of All Trades
Nikanor
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Newbie 936 >Game Over!<

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Fri Apr 02, 2010 7:12 am

Post by Nikanor »

You live in a town. A costal town. There's lots of birds. You like birds. What you
don't
like is people killing you. So you and your friends get together and decide to take action.
The best idea you can come up with is a lynch mob. How original. Instead of using actual weapons, you decide to be like the rope-loving Samwise Gamgee and grab a noose to dispose of the bad guys.
Did I mention that you're all about as smart as a brick wall? Yeah.
Well anyway, there are nine of you, and being the brilliant people that you are, you have forgotten which of you nine are honest people and which are out to kill you. That would have made this much easier, but noooo, you have to have the memory of a school of tuna. Now you actually have to
work
to figure out who the murderers are.
Let's get started!

Players alive:

Riffraff
-
Vanilla Townie
-
Survived to endgame.

-
Vanilla Townie
-
Survived to endgame.

Players dead:

Wacka Alpaca
-
Town Doctor
-
Lynched day one.

~DeathRowKitty
-
Vanilla Townie
-
Killed night one.

Raikiri999
-
Vanilla Townie
-
Lynched day two.

Midnight's Sorrow
-
Vanilla Townie
-
Killed night two.

-
Mafia Goon
-
Lynched day three.

-Espeonage
-
Vanilla Townie
-
Killed night three.

-diddin
-
Mafia Goon
-
Lynched day four.

Tildes (~) indicate an IC player. They have at least five completed games, and are here to teach you about how the game works. Learn from him!
Hyphens (-) indicate an SE player. They have at least three completed games. Learn from them, too!
Last edited by Nikanor on Tue May 11, 2010 10:14 pm, edited 13 times in total.
Nikanor
Nikanor
Jack of All Trades
Nikanor
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Fri Apr 02, 2010 7:12 am

Post by Nikanor »

The Rules:

General Rules:

Don't be a jerk. This is rule #1 in every game, since games are supposed to be fun, and games are not fun when someone is being a jerk. Don't be that guy.
Town players are not allowed to communicate outside the thread at any time. Mafia players may communicate with each other outside the thread during the pregame and night phases, but not during the day.
Do not edit posts. Most of you cannot edit posts anyway, so this shouldn't be a problem.
Once you are dead, you're dead. Like, completely devoid of life. And people who are completely devoid of life may not post in the thread.
You may quote the role pms provided below if you are so inclined. You may not, however, quote any private communication with me. You're not even allowed to claim the time at which I sent you a pm.
Do not post in small font, white text, spoiler tags, or any other form of hidden message. You may not post in any language other than English.
Play to win, etc.
Do not reference ongoing games. You may reference games once they are completed, but not before.
Indigo
is the colour I'll use to post vote counts, edit things into other people's posts, etc. Do not impersonate me.
If you have a question or concern, or if you think that I may have made an error, do not hesitate to ask in-topic or by pm. Be sure to bold requests directed at me so that I see them.
If you choose to violate a rule, I will punish you. That might mean a modkill, which is the ending of your life by moi. I'll reveal your role in-topic, then change it to Neutral Survivor so that you automatically lose. If you are town, the day will end, but if you are mafia, the day will continue. I don't like having to modkill people, so try not to break the rules. I'm also pretty understanding, so don't freak out if you accidentally break a rule.

Voting, Lynching, and Deadlines:

Votes must be bolded. For example,
Vote: Mini Wheats.
You may unvote by typing
Unvote.
Some mods require you to unvote before changing your vote, but I am a kind mod, and as a kind mod, I do not require you to unvote before changing your vote.
Vote counts will probably be provided twice a day, but will be provided once per day at the minimum.
Once a lynching majority has been reached, the day will end and the game will go into twilight. You may continue to talk during twilight until I get to locking the thread, but no votes or unvotes will be counted. Once I lock the thread, the game will go into the night phase.
You may also vote for no lynch to happen on that day by typing
Vote: No lynch.
A no-lynch still requires a majority vote to go through.
Some mods require only half a majority to lynch at deadline, but I am a cruel mod, and as a cruel mod, I still require a full majority to reach a lynch at deadline.
If a majority has not been reached by the deadline, a no-lynch will occur, and the game will go into night. I don't care if your hammer vote came one minute after deadline, it doesn't count. If you don't like it, don't wait until the last minute.
Each day will have strict three-week deadlines. Extensions will be given only in extreme circumstances, but always feel free to ask.

Night Phase:

Night lasts for 48 hours, but might be extended if I need a replacement.

Prodding and Stuff:

If a player fails to post for 72 consecutive hours, he will be prodded. If that player does not post for another 48 hours after he's been prodded, he'll be replaced.
Prods are available upon request. I'll still issue an official prod at the 72 hour mark, though.
I like to mass-prod if I feel discussion is lacking. Don't be surprised to have your inbox filled by my spam.
If you are going away, or if you have limited access to the site, notify me by pm or in-topic so that I know not to prod or replace you. If you're going to be V/LA over the night phase and have a night action, you may send in your action early.
Last edited by Nikanor on Sat Apr 10, 2010 6:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Nikanor
Nikanor
Jack of All Trades
Nikanor
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Fri Apr 02, 2010 7:13 am

Post by Nikanor »

The Setup:

The setup used for newbie games is F11. That includes this one. That means that one of these four setups have been randomly selected to be used for this game:
*1 Mafia Goon, 1 Mafia Roleblocker, 1 Town Cop, 1 Town Doctor, 5 Vanilla Townies
*1 Mafia Goon, 1 Mafia Roleblocker, 7 Vanilla Townies
*2 Mafia Goons, 1 Town Cop, 6 Vanilla Townies
*2 Mafia Goons, 1 Town Doctor, 6 Vanilla Townies

There will always be two mafia players and seven town players.

These are the role pms:
[color=red]Mafia Roleblocker[/color] wrote:~NAME~,

Welcome to Newbie 936! You are a
Mafia Roleblocker
. You have a partner, and his name is
_________
. He is a
Mafia Goon
You may talk during pregame, which is until I start the game, or at night, using {this Quicktopic}.

Each night, you or your partner may send me the name of a player you would like to kill.
As long as you are alive, you or your partner may also send me the name of a player you would like to roleblock, preventing any night ability they might have from taking effect.

You win if the Mafia comprise at least half the town, or if nothing can prevent the same from happening.

The game topic is here. Please confirm in-thread.

Good luck!
~Nik
[color=red]Mafia Goon[/color] wrote:~NAME~,

Mafia Goon
. You have a partner, and his name is
_________
. He is a
(Mafia Goon/Mafia Roleblocker)
You may talk during pregame, which is until I start the game, or at night, using {this Quicktopic}.

Each night, you or your partner may send me the name of a player you would like to kill.

You win if the Mafia comprise at least half the town, or if nothing can prevent the same from happening.

Good luck!
~Nik
[color=olive]Town Cop[/color] wrote:~NAME~,

Welcome to Newbie 936! You are the
Town Cop

Each night, you may send me the name of someone you'd like to investigate. At the end of the night, if you're still alive, I will tell you if that player is Town or Mafia. Your results are guaranteed to be accurate, but if you are roleblocked you will be told there is No Result. You may not target yourself.

You win if all of the Mafia are dead.

Good luck!
~Nik
[color=olive]Town Doctor[/color] wrote:~NAME~,

Welcome to Newbie 936! You are the
Town Doctor

Each night, you may send me the name of someone you'd like to protect. If that player is targeted by a kill, that kill will fail. Your protection is guaranteed to work, unless you are roleblocked. You will not be informed if you are roleblocked. You may not target yourself.

Good luck!
~Nik
[color=green]Vanilla Townie[/color] wrote:~NAME~,

Vanilla Townie

Each night, you may do nothing but sleep in your bed with the fear that you may be the next to die. Use every day wisely, you never know which one might be your last!

Good luck!
~Nik
Nikanor
Nikanor
Jack of All Trades
Nikanor
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Fri Apr 02, 2010 7:37 am

Post by Nikanor »

All role PMs are out. The game will start once at least eight people have confirmed.
I am in the bottom 10% of scumhunters onsite!
DeathRowKitty
DeathRowKitty
she
Frog
DeathRowKitty
she
Frog
Frog
Pronoun: she

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Fri Apr 02, 2010 7:43 am

Post by DeathRowKitty »

/confirm
diddin
diddin
Mafia Scum
diddin
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Fri Apr 02, 2010 7:45 am

Post by diddin »

/confirming
Show
Town 8/4
Mafia 2/3
3rd Party 0/0

Everyone loves Diddin-Slaxx
64-bit
64-bit
Townie
64-bit
Townie
Townie

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Fri Apr 02, 2010 8:48 am

Post by 64-bit »

/confirm
Riffraff
Riffraff
Townie
Riffraff
Townie
Townie

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Fri Apr 02, 2010 9:33 am

Post by Riffraff »

/confirm

I have some experience on globalgamers.net/#mafia, hopefully that translates some to the protracted forum game format!
DeathRowKitty
DeathRowKitty
she
Frog
DeathRowKitty
she
Frog
Frog

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:17 am

Post by DeathRowKitty »

Hello all. I'm your IC for this game. You can call me DRK, Kitty, DeathRow, DeathRowKitty, etc - basically anything that identifies me and isn't offensive. I'm here to address any questions or concerns you may have about the game
and to protect you from harassment from Nikanor
. If you have any questions about mafia theory, how to do something, etc, just ask and I'll answer to the best of my ability. Please note that I will answer such questions truthfully regardless of my alignment. Also note that this is in contrast to questions asked of me that focus on my motives in the game or anything that might help to glean my role. If I'm scum,
which of course I never am and never will be,
you can expect I'd lie about the answers to those questions.

A couple important things before the game starts:

You may have noticed in the rules that votes must be bolded. To bold text, use the following:

Code: Select all

[b]stuff to be bolded goes here[b]

This will display as:

stuff to be bolded goes here

To quote something said by another player, you can use the following:

[quote]stuff you're quoting goes here[/quote]

OR

[quote="Name in quotes"]stuff you're quoting goes here[/quote]

These will display as
stuff you're quoting goes here
and
Name in quotes wrote:stuff you're quoting goes here
DeathRowKitty
DeathRowKitty
she
Frog
DeathRowKitty
she
Frog
Frog

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:21 am

Post by DeathRowKitty »

Errr....I messed up the tags for bolding. It should be

[b]stuff to be bolded goes here[/b]
Wacka Alpaca
Wacka Alpaca
Goon
Wacka Alpaca
Goon
Goon

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:25 am

Post by Wacka Alpaca »

Sweet savory beans.

I do not like how the day phase can take up to 3 weeks, but, i guess that is for extreme circumstances.
Actually, I find that most games will use the full time until the deadline. You'll find that games on this site are very slow compared to those on other sites. ~Nik

also,
/Confirmation.
"He talked about justice, but nobody stirred. He felt like an outcast, alone in the herd." - Cows With Guns
http://i42.tinypic.com/sc6wp1.png
Midnight's Sorrow
Midnight's Sorrow
Mafia Scum
Midnight's Sorrow
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:40 am

Post by Midnight's Sorrow »

Hrmm....such complicated terms .o.

/confirmation xD
W/L/O
T: 8/6/1
S: 1/4/0
O: 0/2/0
diddin
diddin
Mafia Scum
diddin
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:54 pm

Post by diddin »

As an SE, I feel committed to posting something useful, so I'll talk about lynch policies.

Lynch all Liars (LAL)- This policy says to lynch anyone caught in a lie. The best weapon for mafia is lies and confusion, and therefore it is in the town's best interests to not lie. Lies that end up being bad for town in the end include a vanilla townie claiming doctor so the mafia will target them, a doctor claiming vanilla townie so mafia DON'T target them, and saying you don't need doc protection. Since this setup is semi-open, there may or may not be a mafia roleblocker, so saying that is rather silly. My opinion- lots of people think this is a good policy, and I somewhat agree. I think occasionally, a town player will have a good reason to lie. But late game, the consistent liars seem to often be mafia.

Lynch all Lurkers- This policy says to lynch anybody who lurks, or doesn't post content. I consider lurking a null-tell, since power roles may want to lurk so mafia do not kill them at night. "Active lurking", or posting, but never with real content, is scummy however. My opinion- Not always a good policy, but I think active lurkers make good lynches if there is nobody acting particularly scummy.

Metagaming- Metagaming is using a player's actions from previous games to determine whether they are scum. An example, straight from the wiki, is "He says that he's a Cop and that that's why he's acting the way he is, but the last time he was a Cop he did something totally different." This would lead us to believe that the player in question was not a Cop. My opinion- Metagaming is hard to do in newbie games, since it is most players' first games. Some players will use different metas different games just to screw with peoples' heads, so it's not always gonna work. Metagaming can also become pseudometagaming, or guessing the setup based on previous games done by that mod. Mods usually try to prevent this, and the setup is at least narrowed down, so pseudometaing will not be an issue this game.
Show
Town 8/4
Mafia 2/3
3rd Party 0/0

diddin
diddin
Mafia Scum
diddin
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:55 pm

Post by diddin »

Another suggestion to newbies: get an avatar. It's easier for people to not mix things up if everyone has an avatar.
Show
Town 8/4
Mafia 2/3
3rd Party 0/0

Riffraff
Riffraff
Townie
Riffraff
Townie
Townie

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Fri Apr 02, 2010 4:04 pm

Post by Riffraff »

diddin wrote:Another suggestion to newbies: get an avatar. It's easier for people to not mix things up if everyone has an avatar.
There you go. I don't really like Avatars, they just clutter up topics and distract from the actual content; I leave them off, along with signatures.

But if it would help others, I'd be selfish not to add one, especially seeing as how I don't have to view it.
Midnight's Sorrow
Midnight's Sorrow
Mafia Scum
Midnight's Sorrow
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Fri Apr 02, 2010 4:29 pm

Post by Midnight's Sorrow »

hrmm...what Phase will this start on? Day...or Night? .o.
W/L/O
T: 8/6/1
S: 1/4/0
O: 0/2/0
Wacka Alpaca
Wacka Alpaca
Goon
Wacka Alpaca
Goon
Goon

Post Post #16 (ISO) » Fri Apr 02, 2010 4:58 pm

Post by Wacka Alpaca »

Midnight's Sorrow wrote:hrmm...what Phase will this start on? Day...or Night? .o.
this.
I'd suggest night, becuase no one here knows anyone else, and some of us have no idea how to play anyway. A lynch would most likely be random, or no lynch. Neither are good.
Just so the people who are watching this game for the sole reason of judging me know, i have always been for a no-lynch over a random/guess lynch.
( That means you xRECKONERx - <3 )
"He talked about justice, but nobody stirred. He felt like an outcast, alone in the herd." - Cows With Guns
DeathRowKitty
DeathRowKitty
she
Frog
DeathRowKitty
she
Frog
Frog

Post Post #17 (ISO) » Sat Apr 03, 2010 3:55 am

Post by DeathRowKitty »

All newbie games (and most games on the site in general) start with day. This doesn't mean that day 1 lynches are random. In fact, this might be a good time to explain how most games start:

Most games start with the RVS (random voting stage). The point of it isn't to make entirely random votes (you'll usually take some flak for rolling dice or picking random numbers to decide on your vote); the point it to make votes for silly or arbitrary reasons (for an avatar or a username or just about anything else you can think of) in order to spark discussion and prevent the game from immediately stagnating. No one
has
to make a random vote
, but if you don't, I will forever label you as a boring player

I don't quite agree with some of what diddin said. Then again, you'd be hard-pressed to find two scummers who agree on anything. It's better to form your own opinions on those topics.

While diddin's reminded me, a word of warning now - beware the wiki. There are a lot of good articles there, but there are also a lot of bad or outdated articles there.
Samus
Samus
Townie
Samus
Townie
Townie

Post Post #18 (ISO) » Sat Apr 03, 2010 5:06 am

Post by Samus »

/confirmed!
Midnight's Sorrow wrote:Hrmm....such complicated terms .o.

/confirmation xD
Looks worse than it is :P most are just common sense rules.
Wacka Alpaca
Wacka Alpaca
Goon
Wacka Alpaca
Goon
Goon

Post Post #19 (ISO) » Sat Apr 03, 2010 5:07 am

Post by Wacka Alpaca »

Number of Confirmed =
Usually I would give only 48 hours for people to confirm before being replaced, but I'm giving the last two people until Monday night to confirm, seeing as how it's one of the 'spend the weekend at the relatives' house with no internet' holidays this weekend.
Wacka Alpaca
Wacka Alpaca
Goon
Wacka Alpaca
Goon
Goon

Post Post #20 (ISO) » Sat Apr 03, 2010 8:54 am

Post by Wacka Alpaca »

just out of curiosity, do newb games usually have replacements?
Yes. I'd say about two to six people usually get replaced by the end of a newbie game. That's not to say that it's an acceptable behaviour, of course.
Riffraff
Riffraff
Townie
Riffraff
Townie
Townie

Post Post #21 (ISO) » Sat Apr 03, 2010 1:54 pm

Post by Riffraff »

DeathRowKitty wrote:All newbie games...
As a rule, I'd say ignore anything on the wiki that tries to give specific advice. It's useful for brute theory, but falls apart when you try to take specific plays from it. It is also based heavily on opinion.

Use it more like a glossary and introduction to the rules and social norms of mafia, and less like a guide to playing the game. It does a good job of describing common situations, viewpoints, and policies, but falls apart trying to provide actual advice.
Raikiri999
Raikiri999
Townie
Raikiri999
Townie
Townie

Post Post #22 (ISO) » Sat Apr 03, 2010 8:36 pm

Post by Raikiri999 »

/in

Sorry if I'm last, I didn't have reliable internet yesterday. It should be fine every other day except for the first few hours of tomorrow.
Nikanor
Nikanor
Jack of All Trades
Nikanor
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #23 (ISO) » Sat Apr 03, 2010 8:43 pm

Post by Nikanor »

And with eight confirmed, the game begins!

--------------------

Vote Count 1.0
Not Voting (9)
- Riffraff, Raikiri999, Samus, 64-bit, Midnight's Sorrow, Wacka Alpaca, Espeonage, diddin, DeathRowKitty

With nine players alive, five votes are required to lynch.

Deadline falls on Sunday April 25 at 7:43 UTC.

Espeonage has until Monday night to confirm before being replaced.
Last edited by Nikanor on Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I am in the bottom 10% of scumhunters onsite!
Espeonage
Espeonage
any
Survivor
Espeonage
any
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: any

Post Post #24 (ISO) » Sun Apr 04, 2010 1:20 am

Post by Espeonage »

/confirm
Sorry Im late I guess you didn't see my sig.

Im one of your SEs for this game.
Some points, no matter how helpful us SEs and IC may be there is still every chance we are still scum so don't get complacent. Take the Day phase seriously. It is the Towns only tool other than the one or two power roles so it is important to use the day properly. If you have any questions ask them and DRK diddin or I will answer as soon as we see the answer. Do remember that SE just means that we have played a few more games, not that we are better players or that we should be followed.

So without furthur ado
Vote: DRK
just for Motowns sake.

Oh and this is the Random Voting Stage or RVS for short. It is where we place random votes until we can start forming valid and solid cases against others.
Don't @ me.

Return to “The Road to Rome [Newbie Games]”