Newbie 917 - Game over.

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
Zorblag
Zorblag
Troll
Zorblag
Troll
Troll

Newbie 917 - Game over.

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:28 pm

Post by Zorblag »

Welcome to mafia scum, greatest place to play mafia on the interwebs (if you don't mind the Trolls that is.) I'm sure that you're all looking forward to an intricate game in which you use your abilities to reason, deduct, persuade and deceive to outplay some other faction along side teammates that you might or might not know the identity of. All nine of you look like you're ready for a challenge. There's just one problem. Someone's been doing in the newbie mods it seems. I've been called in as a backup for just this sort of situation. It's clearly got to be two of the nine of you who are up to no good and trying to grind the newbie queue to a halt.

Looks like you have to use your abilities to reason, deduct, persuade and deceive to outplay some other faction along side teammates that you might or might not know the identity of to try to root out which of these seemingly innocent looking players are the nefarious scum here (or remain unrooted as the case may be.)

Good luck, we're all counting on you!

Mod: Zorblag

Living Players

Mustilicor, goon, Survived.
Civil Scum*, goon, Survived.

indicates IC player.
The ICs are here to help you learn to play the game. Their play is governed by the wiki article Being a good IC.

^
indicates semi-experienced player.

Dead Players

Mysterious Mystery Man^, townie, Lynched Day One.

McGriddle (replaced thatguy00), townie, Killed Night One.

Andrius, townie, Lynched Day Two.

The Quintastic One^, doctor, Killed Night Two.

Antifinity, townie, Lynched Day Three.
Super Awesome Mega Pimp!, townie, Endgamed.
Exilon, townie, Endgamed.

Helpful Links

Rules and Setup (with Roles.)
Day One ends, Day Two ends, Day Three ends.

Main Wiki Page
Newbie Guide
Frequently Asked Questions
Commonly Used Abbreviations

-Zorblag R`Lyeh
Last edited by Zorblag on Sat Apr 03, 2010 7:39 am, edited 24 times in total.
Zorblag
Zorblag
Troll
Zorblag
Troll
Troll

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:02 pm

Post by Zorblag »

Game Rules (modified from Vel-Rahn Koon’s rules):

General Gameplay and Etiquette:
  1. You may not quote private Moderator-supplied information (either real or fabricated) of any kind. Paraphrasing (for role claims, etc.) is acceptable.
  2. There is to be NO personal communication outside of the forum postings unless your role PM specifically allows it. Mafia members may communicate at night and during the confirmation stage.
  3. If you have a role with a Night action your choices are due to me by the posted deadline. If I do not receive your choice via PM by the posted deadline you will forfeit your actions.
  4. Roles with Night actions will not be able to submit an action on Night 0 (i.e. during the confirmation stage).
  5. Any player with a Night action may instead submit a “No Action” PM to let the Mod know that you do not want to perform your expected action that Night phase.
  6. As a general rule you should aim for one post every 48 hours, minimum, to keep the game moving.
Voting, Deadlines, and Player Death:
  1. A simple majority of all living members must agree on one person for a lynch to occur
  2. Once you have reached a simple majority no further unvoting will change someone’s fate.
  3. Once a player is lynched the game enters twilight until I post a death scene; all players including the one who was lynched may continue to post during twilight.
  4. Please submit votes as:
    Vote: PlayerName
    Votes will NOT be counted if they are not bold! Obvious abbreviations or nicknames will be counted so long as they are unambiguous.

5. Please submit vote revocations as either
    Unvote: PlayerName
    or
    Unvote
    . Unvotes are not necessary before changing votes.
  6. You may
    Vote: No Lynch
    - a simple majority of these vote types are required to send the game to Night phase without a lynch.
  7. This game will have 3 week deadlines. At deadline, the player (or No Lynch) with the most votes will be lynched. In the case of a tie, the tie breaker will be the player who has the first active vote on them. Should there be no active votes at deadline no one will be lynched.
  8. Once a player is lynched the game enters twilight until I post a death scene; all players including the one who was lynched may continue to post during twilight.
  9. Once you are killed (either via lynch or night kill) you may no longer post. This means that you do not even get a “Bah” post. The dead in this game are silent.
Miscellaneous/Mechanics:
  1. Green
    text is reserved for the Mod. No invisible/small text is allowed.
  2. If you have an issue/problem with the game, please PM the Mod privately. Do not post issues/complaints in the game thread.
  3. The Mod may make mistakes - please point out any mistakes gently. Mistakes will be corrected where possible, but sometimes mistakes are made that cannot be reversed. These will stand as final to be commiserated over after the game.
  4. Please bold all requests to the Mod so that they don’t get missed.

5. Prods of missing players will be issued automatically after 72 hours of no activity or upon request after 48 hours of no activity. A prodded player has 48 hours to respond or risks replacement. A player who has been prodded 3 times is subject to replacement without further notice.
  6. Rules violations will be dealt with according to their severity, up to and including a Modkill.
  7. If you anticipate being unavailable for more than a 48-hour period please post a notice to that effect in the thread.
    Treat this game as a commitment. Be considerate – don’t leave us hanging.
The Golden Rule:

Please remember that this is a game and your main objective is to have fun! Be considerate of each other, don’t get personal, and enjoy the game.

-Zorblag R`Lyeh
Zorblag
Zorblag
Troll
Zorblag
Troll
Troll

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:03 pm

Post by Zorblag »

The F11 setup is the current game format used in Newbie games. To prevent the development of game-breaking strategies, these Newbie Games are Semi-Open. The actual game setup is randomly chosen from one of four possible setups as detailed below:
  • 1 Mafia Goon, 1 Mafia Roleblocker, 1 Sane Cop, 1 Sane Doctor, 5 Townies
  • 1 Mafia Goon, 1 Mafia Roleblocker, 7 Townies
  • 2 Mafia Goons, 1 Sane Cop, 6 Townies
  • 2 Mafia Goons, 1 Sane Doctor, 6 Townies
If either of the first two setups are in play, and the situation occurs where the Goon is lynched first, the Roleblocker will still be able to submit both night kills and roleblocks (roleblocking is a function of the Roleblocker; night kills are a function of the scum team as a whole).

These are the Role PMs that have potentially been sent to the players:

Mafia-Aligned players:

The Mod wrote:

You are a member of the Mafia along with your partner, <name>, a <Mafia Goon or Mafia Roleblocker>. Your current task is to eliminate the town before they lynch you by killing them at night and getting them lynched during the day.
  • During the day, try to blend in with the normal Townies, and attempt to get someone lynched.
  • During the NIGHT cycle ONLY, you may talk with your fellow Mafia (via PM) and choose another player in the town to kill that night.
  • You may communicate privately with your fellow Mafia up until the game thread is opened. Once the game begins, all outside communication must cease until the night cycle.
  • You win when the number of Mafia equals or exceeds the number of remaining Town players, whether you survive to the end or not.
The Mod wrote:

You are a member of the Mafia along with your partner, <name>, a Mafia Goon. Your current task is to eliminate the town before they lynch you by killing them at night and getting them lynched during the day.
  • During the day, try to blend in with the normal Townies, and attempt to get someone lynched.
  • As a Roleblocker, you have the ability to distract any player throughout the night, effectively negating their night ability, if they have one.
  • Send the moderator a PM with your choice of player that you want to block. If they have a Night action, it will have no effect. You will not be informed as to whether your roleblock worked or not.
  • During the NIGHT cycle ONLY, you may talk with your fellow Mafia (via PM) and choose another player in the town to kill that night.
  • You may communicate privately with your fellow Mafia up until the game thread is opened. Once the game begins, all outside communication must cease until the night cycle.
  • You win when the number of Mafia equals or exceeds the number of remaining Town players, whether you survive to the end or not.
Town-Aligned players:

The Mod wrote:

You are a normal townsperson, trying to make a living and survive this insanity.
  • You have no abilities at Night other than getting a good night's rest.
  • Although you do not have any special abilities, your voice and vote are powerful weapons in their own right. Use them to your best advantage!
  • At no time may you privately communicate with any other player.
  • You win when all the Mafia players are gone, whether you survive to the end or not.
The Mod wrote:

You are the local law enforcement, and can tell the good guys from the bad.
  • Each NIGHT, you may send the moderator a PM with your choice of player that you want to investigate.
  • The Moderator will inform you as to that person’s guilt or innocence.
  • In a Newbie game, you will always get a correct result (no sanity issues) provided you are not roleblocked (if you are roleblocked you will get no result.)
  • You win when all the Mafia players are gone, whether you survive to the end or not.
The Mod wrote:

You are the local physician, and can protect people from harm.
  • Each NIGHT, you may send the moderator a PM with your choice of player that you want to protect.
  • If someone attempts to kill that player during the Night, they will be spared.
  • You may not protect yourself.
  • In a Newbie game, your protection target will always live through the night (no quacks) provided you are not roleblocked (if you are roleblocked your protection will not work.)
-Zorblag R`Lyeh
Zorblag
Zorblag
Troll
Zorblag
Troll
Troll

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:20 pm

Post by Zorblag »

I'm about to send out roles. Please confirm that you've received your role and understand it and the rules via PM. The game will start when at least 8 players have confirmed and 24 hours from now have passed. Scum will be allowed to talk in a quick topic during the confirmation phase but not once the day starts.

-Zorblag R`Lyeh
Zorblag
Zorblag
Troll
Zorblag
Troll
Troll

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Fri Feb 19, 2010 3:24 pm

Post by Zorblag »

Day one now begins. Everyone has picked up their PMs. Everyone but Exilon has confirmed. If Exilon hasn't confirmed via PM or (ideally) posted in the game thread in the next 24 hours I'll replace them.

Good luck everyone!

Vote count 1.0

The numbers by the voters indicate the order in which the vote was cast. If two or more players are tied for the most votes to lynch at the deadline the tiebreaker will be the player who has the earliest active vote.

Not voting: Andrius, Antifinity, Civil Scum, Exilon, Mustilicor, Mysterious Mystery Man, Super Awesome Mega Pimp!, thatguy00, The Quintastic One

With 9 players alive it takes 5 to lynch. Currently no one would be lynched at deadline. Deadline is 10:00 PM EST/7:00 PM PST on Friday, March 12th. Deadline Countdown

-Zorblag R`Lyeh
Super Awesome Mega Zord!
Super Awesome Mega Zord!
Goon
Super Awesome Mega Zord!
Goon
Goon

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Fri Feb 19, 2010 5:59 pm

Post by Super Awesome Mega Zord! »

Vote: Mustilicor

Who should we lynch today, you or your scumbuddy?
8-) You can call me Mad Cool Ballin' King! for short. 8-)
Mustilicor
Mustilicor
Goon
Mustilicor
Goon
Goon

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Fri Feb 19, 2010 6:24 pm

Post by Mustilicor »

I say we lynch the fellow trying to use poor newbies as a scapegoat for this whole mess, when clearly he's orchestrated this whole thing in a bid to take over this subforum.

Vote: Zorblag

(I get the
strangest feeling
that won't actually work..)
Andrius
Andrius
The Baker
Andrius
The Baker
The Baker

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Fri Feb 19, 2010 8:26 pm

Post by Andrius »

Someone's killing the mods, eh?

VOTE:EXILON
thatguy00
thatguy00
Goon
thatguy00
Goon
Goon

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Fri Feb 19, 2010 10:03 pm

Post by thatguy00 »

Vote: Mustilicor
The Quintastic One
The Quintastic One
Goon
The Quintastic One
Goon
Goon

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Sat Feb 20, 2010 12:22 am

Post by The Quintastic One »

Vote: Mysterious Mystery Man.

He's definitely got something to hide.
Mysterious Mystery Man
Mysterious Mystery Man
Goon
Mysterious Mystery Man
Goon
Goon

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Sat Feb 20, 2010 12:55 am

Post by Mysterious Mystery Man »

Vote: The Quintastic One
for not liking mystery. :)

Hey y'all, you can call me Mysti, MMM, whatever's easiest on your fingers. I'm an SE, which is like an IC, only with less superpowers. I'm here to guide you if you're at all confused about the game. One thing you should know, I'm definitely a lighthearted, joking player, but that got me in trouble for another game, so if you want me to cut the humour, that's fine, and you should say so. Have fun!
Also known as: cheater_1
The Quintastic One
The Quintastic One
Goon
The Quintastic One
Goon
Goon

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Sat Feb 20, 2010 5:53 am

On that note, I am also an SE, but to be honest I am an SE by default. I wouldn't say that I am a shining example on how to play Mafia, considering my record on two sites combined involves 3 modkills, 2 replace outs and 1 game that I've actually completed and won (and I was Mafia).

So I'm back in the Newbie Queue, going to try and learn the ropes one last time. I know enough about Mafia that I can answer some of your basic questions that I usually see pop up in newbie games such as what is WIFOM, OMGUS, FoS and all that good stuff. But when it comes to how to improve your game and such, I would turn towards guys like Myst and Civil Scum.
Exilon
Exilon
Mafia Scum
Exilon
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Sat Feb 20, 2010 8:43 am

Post by Exilon »

When I came last night to confirm on the thread it was still locked; sorry to keep everyone waiting (I had no way of coming to the Internet up until now). (I also now know you can confirm by PM'ing the mod, my apologies for that.)
Good to meet everyone =)

I'm here wondering if I should random vote or OMGUS just for the fun of it.
I'll just random it.
Vote: thatguy00
Feels like I've been here before.
Super Awesome Mega Zord!
Super Awesome Mega Zord!
Goon
Super Awesome Mega Zord!
Goon
Goon

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Sat Feb 20, 2010 9:49 am

Unvote, Vote: Exilon

What do you mean by "I had no way of coming to the Internet up until now"? Why'd you choose random?
Mysterious Mystery Man
Mysterious Mystery Man
Goon
Mysterious Mystery Man
Goon
Goon

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Sat Feb 20, 2010 9:50 am

Yeah, the locked thread confused me at first too. Most mods require you to post here to confirm, took me a second to realize Zorblag wanted a PM.
Exilon
Exilon
Mafia Scum
Exilon
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Sat Feb 20, 2010 11:01 am

Post by Exilon »

Super Awesome Mega Pimp! wrote:
Unvote, Vote: Exilon

What do you mean by "I had no way of coming to the Internet up until now"? Why'd you choose random?
I mean, my real life activities stripped me of my time to access the Internet.

And answering your second question, I chose randomly because at this point there isn't much else I can do.
Antifinity
Antifinity
Goon
Antifinity
Goon
Goon

Post Post #16 (ISO) » Sat Feb 20, 2010 8:03 pm

Post by Antifinity »

Vote: Super Awesome Mega Pimp!
The Quintastic One
The Quintastic One
Goon
The Quintastic One
Goon
Goon

Post Post #17 (ISO) » Sat Feb 20, 2010 11:15 pm

Exilon wrote:When I came last night to confirm on the thread it was still locked; sorry to keep everyone waiting (I had no way of coming to the Internet up until now). (I also now know you can confirm by PM'ing the mod, my apologies for that.)
Good to meet everyone =)

I'm here wondering if I should random vote or OMGUS just for the fun of it.
I'll just random it.
Welcome to you as well. But I gotta ask as well, why did you feel the need to choose between random vote or OMGUS? Either way it's going to be interpreted as RVS at this point in the game so there's no reason to worry about the possible reactions of a vote.

Unless you're scum! Hoo-hah!

I won't vote hop as quickly as The Pimp, but it is something I'd like to press upon you for an answer.
Super Awesome Mega Zord!
Super Awesome Mega Zord!
Goon
Super Awesome Mega Zord!
Goon
Goon

Post Post #18 (ISO) » Sat Feb 20, 2010 11:35 pm

Exilon wrote:I mean, my real life activities stripped me of my time to access the Internet.
Then how did you pick up your PM and check the thread? :?
Exilon wrote:And answering your second question, I chose randomly because at this point there isn't much else I can do.
You said you were choosing between random vote and OMGUS, and of course you decided on random. Why did you choose that over OMGUS?
Exilon
Exilon
Mafia Scum
Exilon
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #19 (ISO) » Sun Feb 21, 2010 1:56 am

Post by Exilon »

Then how did you pick up your PM and check the thread?
I'll just break it down like this. Friday afternoon I came home, read the Role PM and checked the thread, which was closed at the time. From that moment until Saturday afternoon I didn't have acess to the Internet. I hope that's clearer now. =)

Let's see, answering to both Pimp! (is it ok if I adress you that way?) and Quintastic. There isn't a real reason I'd vote for one or the other other than being random. With that in mind, I opted for the random vote precisely because it's Random. OMGUS isn't, and, besides from that, it is not a reasoned vote (after all, I believe voting for the one who voted with nothing else to go on isn't the way to go; since there are other and supposedly better options), at least in this case.
Civil Scum
Civil Scum
He/Him
Mafia Scum
Civil Scum
He/Him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #20 (ISO) » Sun Feb 21, 2010 2:06 am

Post by Civil Scum »

vote: andrius

Hello! Sorry I haven't gotten around to this. I've never been an IC before. I've played a few games and know some stuff, but there are far far more knowledgable players on this site. But I will try to do my best to answer any questions or explain things. And to steer us away from a no-lynch if we're ever approaching one :P
mmm wrote: I'm an SE, which is like an IC, only with less superpowers
:( When do I get them??? I read the wiki article on 'Being a good IC' and I had a hard time understanding it...

I think exilon was apologizing for being gone for a relativey short time. Is this accurate? At that point, what did you think you were apologizing for?

I can't think of a reason he would be lying about that right now. Making a distinction or clear choice between an OMGUS vote or a random vote is more interesting.
Exilon
Exilon
Mafia Scum
Exilon
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #21 (ISO) » Sun Feb 21, 2010 2:20 am

Post by Exilon »

I apologized for not having confirmed via PM.

I made a distinction between OMGUS and random vote because they ARE distinct. OMGUS is OMGUS and random vote is a random vote. As for any reasons, they're stated in the post above (Ps19).
Mysterious Mystery Man
Mysterious Mystery Man
Goon
Mysterious Mystery Man
Goon
Goon

Post Post #22 (ISO) » Sun Feb 21, 2010 6:31 am

I think the whole OMGUS/random vote debate is a little silly to be honest. Not much difference at this point.
Mustilicor
Mustilicor
Goon
Mustilicor
Goon
Goon

Post Post #23 (ISO) » Sun Feb 21, 2010 6:48 am

Post by Mustilicor »

It's true. Of course, there's very little to actually have a debate about. Except..

I'd add Antifinity in there too, if I could. While others have been quite silly with the reasoning for their votes so far (which I gather is normal in this stage of the game), you two are the only ones who've posted entirely contentless votes. So what's up with that, guys?
Mustilicor
Mustilicor
Goon
Mustilicor
Goon
Goon

Post Post #24 (ISO) » Sun Feb 21, 2010 6:50 am

Post by Mustilicor »

Oh, and it'd be really useful if at least one of you would get an icon. I know I can't be the only one that has a tendency to recognize posters that way.

Return to “The Road to Rome [Newbie Games]”