Teleportation Mafia Universe ONE (MAFIA A WINS!)

evilsnail
evilsnail
Goon
evilsnail
Goon
Goon

Post Post #50 (ISO) » Sun Jan 24, 2010 5:19 pm

Post by evilsnail »

Hmm, actually, the idea of using the teleporter as an extra lynch is kinda cool. We could potentially cast two different types of votes, one for the lynch and one for the teleport. In that way, it almost becomes a scumhunting competition between the universes, in that we want to teleport our scum out before they send us theirs.

In that system, if and when one town wins, which players have been teleported can potentially be highly informative.
Flareonage
Flareonage
Goon
Flareonage
Goon
Goon

Post Post #51 (ISO) » Sun Jan 24, 2010 5:22 pm

Post by Flareonage »

so you want to use their strategy against them?

It does sound pretty good
evilsnail
evilsnail
Goon
evilsnail
Goon
Goon

Post Post #52 (ISO) » Sun Jan 24, 2010 5:32 pm

Post by evilsnail »

Elmo wrote:I think Jack's point is quite interesting. While there's 3 of a mafia group alive, they'd probably kill in the universe where they had 2 members if they were split (unless they thought they'd be teleported out soon). If there were only two mafia alive, though, they might switch if they had better chances over there. So if we either teleported one and lynched one, or teleported two, we might not get a nightkill here, which would be a big win. That's if the other town don't send us any wee beasties, of course.
This is also a good point.

Well, I'm not sure if it counts as using their strategy against them (that implies a little more devilishness on our part), but playing the game competitively, where we try to pull their pro-town looking players and teleport our scummy ones, seems like a good idea to me.
evilsnail
evilsnail
Goon
evilsnail
Goon
Goon

Post Post #53 (ISO) » Sun Jan 24, 2010 5:44 pm

Post by evilsnail »

Jack wrote:
DeathRowKitty wrote: Basically, I think it's better we just let the teleporters do what they want.
I agree. Letting the teleporter decide for themselves actually gives the mafia some motivation to eliminate the people who suspect them, unless they want to be transported...
Not sure I agree with this. A town-directed teleport is much more informative in terms of the interactions between players. Plus, the teleporter always retains the ability to use their own judgement.

In addition, there isn't necessarily that strong a drive for scum to eliminate those who suspect them (in any case not more so than in any other game). After all, there is only one teleporter and scum do have a 1-shot in case of emergencies.
farside22
farside22
Mafia Mum
farside22
Mafia Mum
Mafia Mum

Post Post #54 (ISO) » Sun Jan 24, 2010 6:00 pm

Post by farside22 »

It's a bit late for me and I had a long day but the idea of lynching a player we think is scum and teleporting a second person we think may be scum would be a good strategy.
I was reading they were talking about outing the town teleporters and just have them as confirmed town teleport themselves.
I didn't look enough at the rules to see if that was possible but I think outing the teleporter is a bad idea till we get closer to end game. Not lylo but maybe before that. As a townie becomes a teleporter so the good news is there always one confirmed townie.
Sarcasm is just a way of saying how stupid you think someone is but in a more polite way.
Plum
Plum
Mafia Scum
Plum
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #55 (ISO) » Sun Jan 24, 2010 6:13 pm

Post by Plum »

Hah, they're looking at us like we're idiots. Seriously, though, they're making a big deal over some very basic things. We just want to get the scumbags out of our Universe however we can get it. That means lynches go towards getting rid of scum and so do Teleports. We can vote on Teleport Targets, sure, but in the end the Teleporter is the Teleporter and it's up to the Teleporter. It's rather like voting on a Vig kill. Obviously pulls have to come in somewhere, but the basic point remains.

There's nothing revolutionary in this. There's no reason for the other Universe to make a fuss over this and try to diss us.
Flareonage
Flareonage
Goon
Flareonage
Goon
Goon

Post Post #56 (ISO) » Sun Jan 24, 2010 6:49 pm

Post by Flareonage »

I wanna be Universe FUN not Universe ONE
popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: She

Post Post #57 (ISO) » Sun Jan 24, 2010 7:48 pm

Post by popsofctown »

this IS the fun universe!!!!

Tomorrow I will bring bagels.
"Let us say that you are right and there are two worlds. How much, then, is this 'other world' worth to you? What do you have there that you do not have here? Money? Power? Something worth causing the prince so much pain for?'"
"Well, I..."
"What? Nothing? You would make the prince suffer over... nothing?"
Flareonage
Flareonage
Goon
Flareonage
Goon
Goon

Post Post #58 (ISO) » Sun Jan 24, 2010 7:56 pm

Post by Flareonage »

Stop staring at me!
popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #59 (ISO) » Sun Jan 24, 2010 8:43 pm

Post by popsofctown »

It might lower your defenses ;).
"Let us say that you are right and there are two worlds. How much, then, is this 'other world' worth to you? What do you have there that you do not have here? Money? Power? Something worth causing the prince so much pain for?'"
"Well, I..."
popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #60 (ISO) » Sun Jan 24, 2010 8:47 pm

Post by popsofctown »

evilsnail needs an avatar.

I have some pictures of Boxxy in different pictures do you want one?

We could fill this thread with maximum Boxxy.
"Well, I..."
Raskol
Raskol
Goon
Raskol
Goon
Goon

Post Post #61 (ISO) » Sun Jan 24, 2010 10:07 pm

Post by Raskol »

Hello and /confirm and all that.
Fishythefish
Fishythefish
Mafia Scum
Fishythefish
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #62 (ISO) » Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:06 pm

Post by Fishythefish »

Some theory about this game:

The best use of a teleport is obvious. We get the scum into the other universe.

The best use of a pull is slightly less obvious. If we go into night at a time not exactly the same as the other universe, then if their teleporter is confident that ours will pull him - and that he wants to be pulled - their teleporter can claim. The next day, we have an extra clear.
If their teleporter isn't confident of this, he won't claim, and all we can do is get their most townie/useful looking player over here.

That first use of a pull is easily the strongest of all of those - it gets us a confirmed inno for a day (and so also forces the scum's hand the next night). It also becomes much more powerful later in the game, when a clear or three matters a lot more.

So, I suggest we (ie the town teleporter) adopt a strategy of Teleport, Teleport, Pull, Pull. If the scum don't manage to kill the teleporter on night 3, and our town is a friendly enough place for the other teleporter to want to be here (and clear), we will have clears on days 4 and 5, which could be very important. If this isn't the case, we lose very little.

This may look like it screws over the other town, but actually it doesn't - we can both implement this strategy. There are two important times to have teleporters in this strategy: at night, and when the other town is going into night. If our nights don't overlap, both towns will have teleporters at both these times.

There are some unknowns here, obviously; scum may kill a teleporter, teleport someone one way or the other, we may or may not lynch scum, etc. But AFAIC, this strategy has the potential to do us a lot of good, and won't do us any harm.

I don't think there's a good argument for guiding the teleports.
mykonian
mykonian
Frisian Shoulder-Demon
mykonian
Frisian Shoulder-Demon
Frisian Shoulder-Demon

Post Post #63 (ISO) » Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:56 am

Post by mykonian »

Healthy competition between universes is good? JC, capitalism in mafia games, and it rings no alarm with anyone.

Seriously, what you are thinking about will do no good. Teleporters are no vigs. Esspecially since both towns are probably about equal in strenght, the teleportation is unlikely to get all the mafia out of one universe into the other without the other universe sending them back.

Randomly, the teleportation will have very little effect. We send and they send, and both towns will not benefit. Screwing them over will just screw us over too. Because we will be screwed: using this tactic it forces the towns to reread the other universe, it kills arguments based on scum-interactions, and the new player coming into this universe is forced to reread the whole game. A lot of information is lost, and all the mechanic does is confuse.

Plum is right: scumhunting will win the game. Town, by definition, wins by helping each other, playing together. In this game this is no different, even across universes. Please someone quote this in the other universe.
Surrender, imagine and of course wear something nice.
mykonian
mykonian
Frisian Shoulder-Demon
mykonian
Frisian Shoulder-Demon
Frisian Shoulder-Demon

Post Post #64 (ISO) » Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:04 am

Post by mykonian »

the strategy I propose: (for clarity)

no teleportation. In case the other universe sends a player, teleport him back next night, that way restoring the universes. That player sadly would not be able to post in the other universe, but he would not have to worry about splitting his attention.

Further, no universe would have to worry about the amount of scum and scumteams.

The teleporter=vig strategy only works during endgame, where it is the last action made (winning or losing the game afterwards).
mykonian
mykonian
Frisian Shoulder-Demon
mykonian
Frisian Shoulder-Demon
Frisian Shoulder-Demon

Post Post #65 (ISO) » Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:12 am

Post by mykonian »

extra information supporting this strategy:

if there is no teleportation, we have 4 mislynches. Added to this that there are 2 players that can be confirmed, the game seems to be balanced in favor of town: meaning that the mod expects something to work against the town. The mafia has no real powerrole that could cause this, so it must be the mechanic itself!
evilsnail
evilsnail
Goon
evilsnail
Goon
Goon

Post Post #66 (ISO) » Mon Jan 25, 2010 3:59 am

Post by evilsnail »

popsofctown wrote:evilsnail needs an avatar.

Definitely not. I had to look up who Boxxy is and the brief exposure left scars on my brain that I do not care to revisit.
evilsnail
evilsnail
Goon
evilsnail
Goon
Goon

Post Post #67 (ISO) » Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:01 am

Post by evilsnail »

popsofctown wrote:evilsnail needs an avatar.

Definitely not. I had to look up who Boxxy is and the brief exposure left scars on my brain that I do not care to revisit.
farside22
farside22
Mafia Mum
farside22
Mafia Mum
Mafia Mum

Post Post #68 (ISO) » Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:07 am

Post by farside22 »

myko: The problem we are running across is the other universe (now known as U2....or OU) wants to send people they feel are scum in our direction. Their talks are using the teleportor to send scummy people our way. If we don't do the same in return we will have to still read the other game anyways and be bomard by people that were scummy in OU.
Sarcasm is just a way of saying how stupid you think someone is but in a more polite way.
zorastermod
zorastermod
Goon
zorastermod
Goon
Goon

Post Post #69 (ISO) » Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:53 am

Post by zorastermod »

THE GAME BEGINS NOW.

Deadline: 2/8 11am EST

Day 1 Vote Count
ace5993 ( 0 )
DrippingGoofball ( 0 )
elvis_knits ( 0 )
evilsnail ( 0 )
farside22 ( 0 )
fishythefish ( 0 )
flareonage ( 0 )
gayle ( 0 )
infinis ( 0 )
mykonian ( 0 )
ojanen ( 0 )
plum ( 0 )
popsofctown ( 0 )
Raskol ( 0 )
Rhinox ( 0 )
Not Voting ( 15 ) ace5993 DrippingGoofball elvis_knits evilsnail farside22 fishythefish flareonage gayle infinis mykonian ojanen plum popsofctown Raskol Rhinox
Total Votes ( 15 )

With 15 alive, 8 needed to lynch.
Deadline: 2/8 11am
evilsnail
evilsnail
Goon
evilsnail
Goon
Goon

Post Post #70 (ISO) » Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:59 am

Post by evilsnail »

Vote: fishythefish

Clearly scum.
farside22
farside22
Mafia Mum
farside22
Mafia Mum
Mafia Mum

Post Post #71 (ISO) » Mon Jan 25, 2010 5:48 am

Post by farside22 »

vote: EK

She wasn't here discussioning the game concept and was more about jokes.
FOS: DGB
for the same
Fishythefish
Fishythefish
Mafia Scum
Fishythefish
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #72 (ISO) » Mon Jan 25, 2010 5:50 am

Post by Fishythefish »

mykonian's proposed strategy is very antitown.

If the other town teleports people over here, and we only teleport people back reactively, we're going to end up with more scum/scummy players than them, and we are going to lose.

Pulling confirmed innos from the other universe gives us confirmed innos.

So, unilaterally saying we aren't going to use the mechanic is going to screw us over. Even if we got the other town to agree not to teleport, they wouldn't have any incentive not to break the deal. Even if we trusted them not to teleport as well, both towns are losing the confirmed innos that pulling gives us.

As for "the mod thinks the mechanic will hurt us", I think that the average game's PRs make the game easier for the town than a mountainous setup.

I totally agree that scumhunting is the way to win the game. I think that the best way we can exploit the mechanic is to ignore it during the day (at least for now). For our teleportation strategy, I've already given my thoughts. On teleporting (as opposed to pulling) nights, the teleporter may well often want to send back whoever the OU sent us.

vote: Flareonage
and
FoS: Plum
for buddying with an entire universe.
popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #73 (ISO) » Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:07 am

Post by popsofctown »

Vote: Fishythefish

For hatin' on lovin'
"Well, I..."
Gayle
Gayle
Goon
Gayle
Goon
Goon

Post Post #74 (ISO) » Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:10 am

Post by Gayle »

*sniff sniff* Something stinks. Smells like Universe 2.
VOTE:farside22

For being a plant from the most hated Universe 2. Can't fool my nose.

Return to “Completed Large Theme Games”