lobstermania
lobstermania
Goon
lobstermania
Goon
Goon

Post Post #100 (ISO) » Tue Jan 26, 2010 5:42 pm

Post by lobstermania »

Hmm....DedicatedScribe finally managed to end the RVS. I'm not sure how I feel about the Mason claim. Granted, it's better than VT, it's going to take a little while for me to feel comfortable viewing him as confirmed town.
Also, I don't understand how the title of the story would affect DedicatedScribe's claim....

VOTE COUNT:

DedicatedScribe (4) - Phlight, Panzerjager, Trumpet of Doom, totallynotmafia
dramonic (0) -
kunkstar7 (0) -
Limerickx (1) - Kunkstar7
lobstermania (1) - dramonic
MacavityLock (0) -
Panzerjager (0) -
peanutman (1) - DedicatedScribe
Phlight (0) -
totallynotmafia (2) - lobstermania, peanutman
Trumpet of Doom (1) - Limerickx
Wolframnhart (0) -

With 12 alive, it takes 7 to lynch.
Phlight
Phlight
Townie
Phlight
Townie
Townie

Post Post #101 (ISO) » Wed Jan 27, 2010 3:19 am

Post by Phlight »

lobstermania wrote:Hmm....DedicatedScribe finally managed to end the RVS. I'm not sure how I feel about the Mason claim. Granted, it's better than VT, it's going to take a little while for me to feel comfortable viewing him as confirmed town.
Also, I don't understand how the title of the story would affect DedicatedScribe's claim....
Hm... rather than know the title of the story DS is, I would prefer to know what kind of information he has on his mason partner that is guaranteed. I'm going to
unvote
to think things over.
This account is a hydra of Phate and Light-kun.
Trumpet of Doom
Trumpet of Doom
Mafia Scum
Trumpet of Doom
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #102 (ISO) » Wed Jan 27, 2010 3:44 am

Post by Trumpet of Doom »

Couple of reasons for a flavor claim:

1. If he gives a story name that one of the other players has, they can call him out on it and we've hit scum on page 5.
2. I'm asking for both stories so that I can figure out whether it makes sense, flavor-wise, for those two stories to be masons together. In RBT's last game I played (Musical Mafia - Mini 709), he put a fair amount of thought into PM flavor, and I'm expecting him to have done so here as well.

Of course, I'd also like to know if he and his partner are confirmed to each other, as I've already mentioned.
Discretion is the better part of valor.
If I helped lynch you, you deserved it.

Retired from playing for the foreseeable future.
dramonic
dramonic
Survivor
dramonic
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #103 (ISO) » Wed Jan 27, 2010 4:19 am

Post by dramonic »

he said he was mason, not neighbour. Correct me if I'm wrong, but mason = confirmed, neighbour =! confirmed
I'm a hoot
Stream: twitch.tv/dramonic
-If you stick your ear close enough to the game thread you can actually hear dram suffer in real life.-Beeboy
-Being obtuse is not a consequence of being a mod, it's a prerequisite. I think you may just have overestimated my intelligence before.-Korts
Trumpet of Doom
Trumpet of Doom
Mafia Scum
Trumpet of Doom
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #104 (ISO) » Wed Jan 27, 2010 4:51 am

I think some mods'll make them unconfirmed and call them masons anyway. Don't know how RBT'd do it, which is why we're asking.

Phlight
Phlight
Townie
Phlight
Townie
Townie

Post Post #105 (ISO) » Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:39 pm

Post by Phlight »

I think a fullclaim is best, excepting the name of the mason partner.
Phlight
Phlight
Townie
Phlight
Townie
Townie

Post Post #106 (ISO) » Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:48 pm

Post by Phlight »

Actually, don't give the partner's story name either. That's for partner to claim.
Limerickx
Limerickx
Goon
Limerickx
Goon
Goon

Post Post #107 (ISO) » Wed Jan 27, 2010 3:35 pm

Post by Limerickx »

Hey all, just letting you know I wont be able to check the thread until the weekend.
Trumpet of Doom
Trumpet of Doom
Mafia Scum
Trumpet of Doom
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #108 (ISO) » Wed Jan 27, 2010 5:15 pm

Phlight wrote:I think a fullclaim is best, excepting the name of the mason partner.
Seems to me if they're confirmed town to each other, there's really no reason for him not to claim who the other is and let him confirm that. If you can think of one, I'd love to hear it.

Phlight
Phlight
Townie
Phlight
Townie
Townie

Post Post #109 (ISO) » Wed Jan 27, 2010 7:47 pm

Post by Phlight »

It would be a better idea to invent a heavily cryptic code that he could have the partner explain. An "obvious breadcrumb" which worked decently well in my Death Note game for L. That way, he can claim and not give the mafia information on his partner. I would like the story title of the partner and the partner to not be named.

The point still remains that giving the mafia the names of two masons, especially mutually confirmed masons, is a terrible idea. If they are not confirmed, we should still not tell mafia the connection since the mason claim is sufficient for the time being (along with other details).
dramonic
dramonic
Survivor
dramonic
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #110 (ISO) » Thu Jan 28, 2010 2:12 am

Post by dramonic »

Well, we won't lynch him, he might as well put a code in his next post and send the solution to his partner during the night.

That way we don't out a mason and when the time comes the mason can confirm himself (preferably later in the game) without being outed to soon and NKed instantly on night 2.
I'm a hoot
-If you stick your ear close enough to the game thread you can actually hear dram suffer in real life.-Beeboy
-Being obtuse is not a consequence of being a mod, it's a prerequisite. I think you may just have overestimated my intelligence before.-Korts
Trumpet of Doom
Trumpet of Doom
Mafia Scum
Trumpet of Doom
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #111 (ISO) » Thu Jan 28, 2010 2:52 am

...am I missing something? Here's my thinking:

I'm fairly confident two masons are not all the power we have. So if we have two confirmed masons on D1, scum have to either:
- kill the masons, which would give a cop two free nights to work and would tell a doc who to protect (at least for N2); or
- look for the other power role(s), which means they're not killing the confirmed-town masons, which means they've got confirmed town running around in lategame, which scum DO NOT WANT.

But whatever, I guess we can agree to disagree - this is as much a theory discussion as anything else, so I'm guessing those of us with reasonably strong opinions on the matter aren't going to be easily swayed by someone else's reasoning.

peanutman
peanutman
Goon
peanutman
Goon
Goon

Post Post #112 (ISO) » Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:24 am

Post by peanutman »

I prefer the idea of not outing the other just yet. I do like the "obvious breadcrumb" solution, giving his partner the chance to clear himself/herself when necessary, without becoming a sitting duck for scum. I think it would be a strong advantage for us to have a confirmed townie emerge later in the game.

However, DS still hasn't gotten back to us on the questions regarding his claim (i.e. does he know his partner's alignment, is he even aligned with town?).
On that note, does anyone else find it odd that he, who was active in early game, hasn't posted since Tuesday night after his claim?
wolframnhart
wolframnhart
Mafia Scum
wolframnhart
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #113 (ISO) » Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:32 am

Post by wolframnhart »

Well being as only two other people have yet to say anything about this mason claim we need them to say something before we can move on.
They tell you never hit a man with a closed fist, but it is on occasion hilarious. - Malcolm Reynolds

Wolf, I fucking hate your face, but still <3 you as a whole. - Starbuck
kunkstar7
kunkstar7
Mafia Scum
kunkstar7
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #114 (ISO) » Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:37 am

Post by kunkstar7 »

Phlight wrote:It would be a better idea to invent a heavily cryptic code that he could have the partner explain. An "obvious breadcrumb" which worked decently well in my Death Note game for L. That way, he can claim and not give the mafia information on his partner. I would like the story title of the partner and the partner to not be named.
This idea works, but it doesn't confirm his claim. If he was scum his scum partner could work just as well with this to the same effect, except we would believe that the scum were town masons. Unless I'm missing something confirmed him as mason. Could I also get a link to this game you mention, I couldn't seem to find it, I would like to see how it worked out.
Welcome to the Network.
peanutman
peanutman
Goon
peanutman
Goon
Goon

Post Post #115 (ISO) » Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:39 am

Post by peanutman »

V/LA until Sunday. I hope that DS has answered some questions by then. It's getting on 3 days of silence since his claim.
lobstermania
lobstermania
Goon
lobstermania
Goon
Goon

Post Post #116 (ISO) » Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:21 am

Post by lobstermania »

kunkstar7 wrote:
Phlight wrote:It would be a better idea to invent a heavily cryptic code that he could have the partner explain. An "obvious breadcrumb" which worked decently well in my Death Note game for L. That way, he can claim and not give the mafia information on his partner.
This idea works, but it doesn't confirm his claim. If he was scum his scum partner could work just as well with this to the same effect, except we would believe that the scum were town masons.
I think this would have been better saved for Day Two, after the code/claim.

I don't understand how we could verify that the code was, indeed, correctly deciphered.
Phlight
Phlight
Townie
Phlight
Townie
Townie

Post Post #117 (ISO) » Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:43 pm

Post by Phlight »

Assuming we have a cop and a doctor is a
terrible
idea.

If he claims the name of his partner, he's just outed a power role for no reason.

Later, if the mason partner dies, he can point to the mason and be like 'that was my partner. See, now I'm confirmed.' Alternatively, if he dies and flips mason, the partner has the option of immediately claiming or waiting 'til he's close to lynch or at lylo.

Not claiming the partner's name gives the town much more strategic depth. Even if he claims his partner's name, there's still no guarantee they're masons until one dies. We don't gain anything from the name, and we lose power-roles.
Trumpet of Doom
Trumpet of Doom
Mafia Scum
Trumpet of Doom
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #118 (ISO) » Thu Jan 28, 2010 5:33 pm

Apologies in advance for Mastinizing your post, Phlight.
Phlight wrote:Assuming we have a cop and a doctor is a terrible idea.
I wasn't assuming both - hell, I wasn't even assuming we necessarily had either (there's a reason I said "a" cop/doc instead of "the" cop/doc).
Phlight wrote:Later, if the mason partner dies, he can point to the mason and be like 'that was my partner. See, now I'm confirmed.'
What? This is absolutely horrible. Confirmed to be able to nighttalk, maybe, but not alignment-confirmed, and you know it. If they're not confirmed and DS's partner dies and flips town, we don't know a thing about his (DS's) alignment. And if he says they are confirmed, I'm not going to believe it until his partner backs his claim up. (That is the primary advantage of masons, yes? To be able to say, "yes, this guy's being truthful as far as his role goes"?)
Phlight wrote:Alternatively, if he dies and flips mason, the partner has the option of immediately claiming or waiting 'til he's close to lynch or at lylo.
Same problem.
Even if he claims his partner's name, there's still no guarantee they're masons until one dies.
If his partner backs him up on it, either both of them are masons/neighbors/what-have-you or both of them are scum. (Absurd play by both parties excepted, of course.)
We don't gain anything from the name, and we lose power-roles.
...were you even reading 111? If scum go for the masons, they're giving whatever other PR(s) we have two nights to be useful. (And I'm sure we have at least one that's not the masons.)

I have trouble seeing how this impressive reading comprehension fail could come from experienced town.
HoS: Phlight
- my vote's staying on DS until he fullclaims, and it might stay there after the claim as well (it depends what he says). If I unvote DS, you're next.

totallynotmafia
totallynotmafia
Goon
totallynotmafia
Goon
Goon

Post Post #119 (ISO) » Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:32 am

Post by totallynotmafia »

Still waiting for DS....I'd love it if his story was "The all-alone, friendless little mute boy", and right now he's thinking "oh shit."
dramonic
dramonic
Survivor
dramonic
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #120 (ISO) » Fri Jan 29, 2010 3:23 pm

Post by dramonic »

What? This is absolutely horrible. Confirmed to be able to nighttalk, maybe, but not alignment-confirmed, and you know it. If they're not confirmed and DS's partner dies and flips town, we don't know a thing about his (DS's) alignment. And if he says they are confirmed, I'm not going to believe it until his partner backs his claim up. (That is the primary advantage of masons, yes? To be able to say, "yes, this guy's being truthful as far as his role goes"?)
Well, if he says they're confirmed to each other and he's lying, the other mason can just deny it. Voila, caught scum without revealing a PR to the scum (since in that case scum would already know that the mason partner is there)
I'm a hoot
Trumpet of Doom
Trumpet of Doom
Mafia Scum
Trumpet of Doom
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #121 (ISO) » Fri Jan 29, 2010 3:47 pm

I'm slightly confused. Is that supposed to be a response to me, dram? And if so, is it of the "ToD, you're wrong, here's why" variety?

Trumpet of Doom
Trumpet of Doom
Mafia Scum
Trumpet of Doom
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #122 (ISO) » Fri Jan 29, 2010 3:50 pm

"I'm slightly confused" might work a little better as "I'm getting mixed signals here," but I think you get the point.

dramonic
dramonic
Survivor
dramonic
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #123 (ISO) » Fri Jan 29, 2010 4:14 pm

Post by dramonic »

basically I'm saying DS should say
in his next post
if he and the other mason are confirmed to each other.
I'm a hoot
Trumpet of Doom
Trumpet of Doom
Mafia Scum
Trumpet of Doom
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #124 (ISO) » Fri Jan 29, 2010 4:17 pm

...was that ever up for debate?

Return to “Completed Mini Theme Games”