Newbie 868 - GAME OVER, TOWN WIN

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
starkmoon
starkmoon
Mafia Scum
starkmoon
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Newbie 868 - GAME OVER, TOWN WIN

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:19 am

Post by starkmoon »

The (not so) quiet city is even quieter tonight, rumours of Mafia in the town seem to have been confirmed and it has been decided that you need to find them and string them up.

Alive

Delusibeta (Halvor.the.Peon)
Leech

Dead
Soyasushi (goon) - lynched day 1
RayFrost (townie) - killed night 1
aka (Kr0b (Cook!eMonst3r)) (doctor) - lynched day 2
Zorblag (EriktheRed (IC)) (cop) - killed night 2
Marblecandy (townie) - lynched day 3
wolframnhart (SE) (townie) - killed Night 3
Panacea (TRainedMonkey (Pieisgoo (J.R (darkprince)))) roleblocker - lynched Day 4
Confirmed bolded.

With 3 alive it is 2 to lynch.

Good luck, and play well.

Current Status: GAME OVER TOWN WIN

V/LA:
Last edited by starkmoon on Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:48 pm, edited 18 times in total.
Always forgive your enemies, nothing annoys them more.
starkmoon
starkmoon
Mafia Scum
starkmoon
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:20 am

Post by starkmoon »

Rules

Votes

1) Votes must be in bold, if you do not bold your vote it will not be counted. ie
Vote: Playername

2) Please
unvote
if necessary before casting a new vote, it makes counting them much easier.

3) Lynching will require a simple majority of votes. Once a player has reached the necessary majority, their pleas are useless and any attempts to unvote will be unheeded. Feel free to post in twilight, though. With 9 alive 5 votes are required to lynch. With 3 alive, 2 votes would be required.

4) You may
vote: no lynch
. Majority votes of this kind are necessary to end the day without a death.

5) Vote counts will be posted in
blue
at the bottom of the first post on each page.

Deadlines

1) All newbie games are required to have a fixed three week day deadline. All nights have a 72 hour deadline. Deadlines will be shown in the first post of the game with a link to a countdown timer so you can check exactly how long there is till deadline.

2) At the three week deadline lynching will require the same number as votes as usual, if this number is not reached the day will end 'no lynch'.

3) The deadline lasts until I actually lock the thread.

4) If you have a night choice to make, it is due by the posted deadline. I will not wait for you. If you do not submit a choice to me then nothing will happen... at all.. not even a little bit.

Posting

1) The game is not to be discussed outside the thread unless your role specifically states that you may do so – and then only at night. If your role allows you to talk during night you will be given a link to a quicktopic discussion where you may do so.

2) Once your death scene has been posted, you’re dead. Stop typing. A “Bah!” postis allowable, but no more please.

3) No small or invisible text. Don’t edit/delete previously submitted posts either.

4) Don’t quote any PMs from me. If you do, I will be most unhappy, you don't want to make Starky mad...

5) If you anticipate being unavailable for more than 3 days, please post a notice to that effect in the thread. Treat this game as a commitment. Be considerate – don’t leave us hanging.

6) Mods are human, allegedly, if I make a mistake please PM me I will rectify the mistake as soon as I can.

7) Please do not post in
blue
or
red
. These are my colours and I guard them jealously.

8) Please
bold
anything you want me to see.. Also, please try to avoid bolding anything else to ensure I DO see the ones I need to.

Prods

1)A player will get prodded if they have been inactive for three days.

2)Weekends count as one day. (ie If your last post is on a Thursday you will not be prodded till the Monday following)

3) If you do not pick up your prod/post in game within 72 hours of it being sent I will start to look for a replacement.

4) Please post in game if you are going to be unavailable for more than 48 hours.

5) Prods to those listed as V/LA will be sent out on the third day after their expected return.

6) Any player prodded three times will be replaced should a fourth prod be needed.

Misc

Remember, it’s a game and it’s supposed to be fun. Be nice to your fellow players and your mod.

I will edit/add information to the first post as needed. Always check the first post in the thread and the first post on each page for mod updates.

If you have a problem in game please PM me to discuss it.

The rules etc can and will be edited at any point if I deem it necessary.

Breaking the rules can be bad for your health, I reserve the right to modkill for serious/repeated naughtiness.
starkmoon
starkmoon
Mafia Scum
starkmoon
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:20 am

Post by starkmoon »

The F11 setup is the current game format used in Newbie games. To prevent the development of game-breaking strategies, these Newbie Games are Semi-Open, wherein the actual game setup is randomly chosen from one of four possible setups as detailed below:
  • 1 Mafia Goon, 1 Mafia Roleblocker, 1 Sane Cop, 1 Sane Doctor, 5 Townies
  • 1 Mafia Goon, 1 Mafia Roleblocker, 7 Townies
  • 2 Mafia Goons, 1 Sane Cop, 6 Townies
  • 2 Mafia Goons, 1 Sane Doctor, 6 Townies
If either of the first two setups are in play, and the situation occurs where the Goon is lynched first, the Roleblocker will still be able to submit both night kills and roleblocks (roleblocking is a function of the Roleblocker; night kills are a function of the scum team as a whole).

These are the Role PMs that have potentially been sent to the players:

Mafia-Aligned players:

Mod wrote:

You are a member of the Mafia along with your partner,
name
. Since your plot to quietly overtake the town has failed, you will attempt take it by force by eliminating the others until you outnumber the populace.
  • During the day, try to blend in with the normal Townies, and attempt to get someone lynched.
  • During the NIGHT cycle ONLY, you may talk with your fellow Mafia (via Quicktopic) and choose another player in the town to kill that night.
  • You may communicate privately with your fellow Mafia up until the game thread is opened. Once the game begins, all outside communication must cease until the night cycle.
  • You win when the number of Mafia equals or exceeds the number of remaining Town players, whether you survive to the end or not.
Mod wrote:

You are a member of the Mafia along with your partner,
name
. Since your plot to quietly overtake the town has failed, you will attempt take it by force by eliminating the others until you outnumber the populace.
  • During the day, try to blend in with the normal Townies, and attempt to get someone lynched.
  • As a Roleblocker, you have the ability to distract any player throughout the night, effectively negating their night ability, if they have one.
  • Send the moderator a PM with your choice of player that you want to block. If they have a Night action, it will have no effect. You will not be informed as to whether your roleblock worked or not.
  • During the NIGHT cycle ONLY, you may talk with your fellow Mafia (via Quicktopic) and choose another player in the town to kill that night.
  • You may communicate privately with your fellow Mafia up until the game thread is opened. Once the game begins, all outside communication must cease until the night cycle.
  • You win when the number of Mafia equals or exceeds the number of remaining Town players, whether you survive to the end or not.

Town-Aligned players:

Mod wrote:

You are a normal townsperson, trying to make a living and survive this insanity.
  • You have no abilities at Night other than getting a good night's rest.
  • Although you do not have any special abilities, your voice and vote are powerful weapons in their own right. Use them to your best advantage!
  • At no time may you privately communicate with any other player.
  • You win when all the Mafia players are gone, whether you survive to the end or not.
Mod wrote:

You are the local law enforcement, and can tell the good guys from the bad.
  • Each NIGHT, you may send the moderator a PM with your choice of player that you want to investigate.
  • The Moderator will inform you as to that person’s guilt or innocence.
  • In a Newbie game, you will always get a correct result (no sanity issues).
  • You win when all the Mafia players are gone, whether you survive to the end or not.
Mod wrote:

You are the local physician, and can protect people from harm.
  • Each NIGHT, you may send the moderator a PM with your choice of player that you want to protect.
  • If someone attempts to kill that player during the Night, they will be spared.
  • You may not protect yourself.
  • In a Newbie game, your protection target will always live through the night (no quacks).
starkmoon
starkmoon
Mafia Scum
starkmoon
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Mon Nov 16, 2009 1:59 am

Post by starkmoon »

SO sorry guys, I've been off sick for most of the week, I will unlock the game and let you get started and find someone for the last spot.

Many, Many apologise for the delay.
RayFrost
RayFrost
Survivor
RayFrost
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Mon Nov 16, 2009 2:50 am

Post by RayFrost »

vote: Halvor.the.peon

Peon = goon = mafia goon

obv scum.
don't you feel silly now?
Soyasushi
Soyasushi
Townie
Soyasushi
Townie
Townie

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Mon Nov 16, 2009 3:36 am

Post by Soyasushi »

No blue or red? Aww, I want to use the red truth and blue truth, if not just once. D:

Vote: Leech
because his name is the easiest to type.
I only play one game at a time, until further notice.
RayFrost
RayFrost
Survivor
RayFrost
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Mon Nov 16, 2009 3:42 am

Post by RayFrost »

Havlor is obv scum. Vote Havlor! :D :D :D
Leech
Leech
Goon
Leech
Goon
Goon

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Mon Nov 16, 2009 7:16 am

Post by Leech »

Vote: RayFrost

For misspelling Halvor. Twice.
EriktheRed
EriktheRed
Goon
EriktheRed
Goon
Goon

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Mon Nov 16, 2009 7:57 am

Post by EriktheRed »

Hi, guys, I'm your IC for this game. That stands for "inexperience-challenged", which is a term that lampoons the political-correctness movement and simply means I've played a few games (five is the requirement) and know how things operate here. My job is to keep this game going, teach you all the ropes, answer any and all questions you have about the game, do my best to ensure everyone has a good time, make a stupidly long introductory post that no one will really read in newbie games, and to win whilst accomplishing all that. I have no intention of pulling punches or otherwise coddling anyone in this game, because not only will you likely sense it and, if you're anything like me, get really pissed off, it won't help you learn. If I fear answering a question will aid the scum more than the town, I will say so and ask you to remind me post-game. I have no desire to manipulate anyone through my IC-ing, and can in fact be removed from my position of no-power if I do that sort of thing. This a game. We play to have fun more to win — at least I do; this is a rather controversial topic, too! — and as such I would rather lose and teach you well than make you into horrible players and win.

I prefer being called Erik, but EriktheRed, Erik the Red, Red, EtR, viking, and swamp-avatar-guy will all suffice, too. I just have to be able to discern that you're actually addressing me. Same goes for other people; as in any other forum, you generally don't have to refer to people by their full username.

Okay, class: First up, read the rules in the early mod posts. This is nonnegotiable. While in newbie games there is typically some standardization (but not entirely), in most games this is not the case, and it's a good habit to get into. Next, I highly recommend that you read the Newbie Guide on our Wiki and the FAQ, and, though not as necessary as the last two items, the flash tutorial and the list of frequently used abbreviations. Additionally, you should all click the blue words at the bottom left of this page "Watch this topic for replies", as this will put this topic in your Watched Topics List, accessible through the user options bar at the top of the webpage. Finally, if you really want to get a handle on this game, read some completed games. Post-finally, if you do not have an avatar, I'd like to personally ask you to get one. It makes identifying posters much easier, but is by no means necessary if, say, your own personal dogma prevents you from having an avatar, for example.

When you go to type a post, next to the submit button is a preview button. Always click this first, as it lets you see your post
exactly
how everyone else will see it, including BBcode. One of the most common problems newbies have is in properly formatting their posts. And so, I shall teach! Woo! In order to vote, you'll need to put it in bold. Do this with these tags

Code: Select all

[b]Vote: mith[/b]
If you don't do that, it's very likely that your vote will not be counted. Additionally, to quote, you use these tags:

[quote]text to be quoted.[/quote]
That ends up looking like this:
text to be quoted.
And if you want to put a username after the "quoted by" text, you put

[quote="mith"]text mith said[/quote]
The absolute most common problem is this quote attribution, as people always forget the quotation marks around the username!

Sadly, the way most games start here is with a "Random Voting Stage", which is something with which I disagree. Essentially, since there's nothing else going on, people just vote randomly to try to garner reactions instead of some other, less arbitrary method. The problem is that those methods are new and untested, and the game's meta is very well-established and resists being changed. Thus, it seems the RVS is not going anywhere. That said, the RVS isn't even random. It's merely arbitrary. Truly random votes (voting using dice tags or random.org) are anti-town, in my opinion, as they deprive the town of links between players and since the voted player knows that there is no meaning behind the vote, feels absolutely no pressure. Thus, the vote is absolutely worthless except to make it
look
like you're doing something when you're really not. But since the RVS has already begun in earnest,

Vote: Starkmoon
for beginning the game late! :lol:
Unvote

Now, one last IC-ing point. I'd like to remind you all that you have made a commitment to the mod and other players of this game. However, if you can not keep that commitment, for whatever reason, it is perfectly acceptable to request replacement by PMing the mod. No one will hold it against you. However, if you just disappear, what we like to call "flaking" (doesn't that just
sound
like something you don't want to do?), it makes the entire replacement process take an extra three days, at minimum, and more than likely will slow the game down to a crawl. Mafia games take months to complete. I just want to reemphasize that you should know you can replace out and then join a new game when you feel you're able, with no hard feelings from anyone.

tl;dr
I show you how to win at this game. You might want to read it, after all.

I'd like to extend a question to all of you: how much experience have you had playing mafia, either forum or meatworld?

Oh, yeah, a real RVS vote:
Vote: CookieMonster
for using that infernal 1337.
-- Erik
Halvor.the.Peon
Halvor.the.Peon
Townie
Halvor.the.Peon
Townie
Townie

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Mon Nov 16, 2009 9:37 am

Post by Halvor.the.Peon »

Vote:RayFrost

For misspelling my name and being anti-peon.
"Kids! Bringing about Armageddon can be dangerous. Do not attempt it in your own home." ├óÔé¼ÔÇØ Good Omens, by Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman
Marblecandy
Marblecandy
Goon
Marblecandy
Goon
Goon

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Mon Nov 16, 2009 1:41 pm

Post by Marblecandy »

I was going to post something clever, but after reading swamp-avatar-guy's long winded post...I am just way too sleepy.
RayFrost
RayFrost
Survivor
RayFrost
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Mon Nov 16, 2009 1:51 pm

Post by RayFrost »

Answering Redder's (the IC) question:

I've got probably around 8~11 games finished (I don't ever keep track) on MS, but I have no meatworld experience.

Anyways...

I'm one of your SE's, I'm just a player that got shoved into this game in order to be a false supplement to the IC.

[insert incessantly long-winded stuff that isn't really needed at the moment]

tl;dr

I'm just another player

oh, and... Halvor is obviously scum, look at his lame excuses for his obvious [urlhttp://www.mafiascum.net/wiki/index.php?title=OMGUS]OMGUS[/url] vote for me!

Halvor wagon, go, go, go! :P :D :)
RayFrost
RayFrost
Survivor
RayFrost
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Mon Nov 16, 2009 1:52 pm

Post by RayFrost »

mod: would you mind fixing my URL tag for me? much appreciated
Marblecandy
Marblecandy
Goon
Marblecandy
Goon
Goon

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Mon Nov 16, 2009 2:00 pm

Post by Marblecandy »

Couple things:

1. Look what Erik taught me:
EriktheRed wrote:
I'd like to extend a question to all of you: how much experience have you had playing mafia, either forum or meatworld?
2. Thank you RayFrost for pointing out that Erik had actually asked a question in there. I must of missed it as I was nodding off.

3. Now to answer the question:

I have plenty of meatworld experience, just not the type that has anything to do with mafia. I have played mafia on other forums, but for all intents and purposes, lets just consider me a noob.
Soyasushi
Soyasushi
Townie
Soyasushi
Townie
Townie

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Mon Nov 16, 2009 2:28 pm

Post by Soyasushi »

What's "meatworld"?
I only play one game at a time, until further notice.
Marblecandy
Marblecandy
Goon
Marblecandy
Goon
Goon

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Mon Nov 16, 2009 2:30 pm

Post by Marblecandy »

It sounds dirty to me, but I am assuming they mean RL (real life?).

Are you a vegetarian?
wolframnhart
wolframnhart
Mafia Scum
wolframnhart
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #16 (ISO) » Mon Nov 16, 2009 2:34 pm

Post by wolframnhart »

Glad to hear you are feeling better Stark.

Now then
vote Marblecandy
cuz your avatar creeps me out.
Marblecandy
Marblecandy
Goon
Marblecandy
Goon
Goon

Post Post #17 (ISO) » Mon Nov 16, 2009 2:43 pm

Post by Marblecandy »

First post and you slap me with a random vote? I am going to assume you are just trying to get my attention, much like little boys in kindergarten that pull little girls pigtails when they have a crush on them. :wink:
RayFrost
RayFrost
Survivor
RayFrost
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #18 (ISO) » Mon Nov 16, 2009 2:47 pm

Post by RayFrost »

Marblecandy wrote:It sounds dirty to me, but I am assuming they mean RL (real life?).

Are you a vegetarian?
It means the world that holds our meat selves.

So yeah... meatworld.
RayFrost
RayFrost
Survivor
RayFrost
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #19 (ISO) » Mon Nov 16, 2009 2:49 pm

Post by RayFrost »

Everybody, this game is already over!

The scum are:

Halvor.the.peon

and

Leech

Note leech's chainsaw vote hidden behind the flimsy RVS excuse and then Halvor's similar excuse which is completely obvious OMGUS.

Let's lynch halvor first! :D :D :D
wolframnhart
wolframnhart
Mafia Scum
wolframnhart
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #20 (ISO) » Mon Nov 16, 2009 4:12 pm

Post by wolframnhart »

Marblecandy wrote:First post and you slap me with a random vote? I am going to assume you are just trying to get my attention, much like little boys in kindergarten that pull little girls pigtails when they have a crush on them. :wink:
Yep, totally called me on that one :P

RayFrost wrote:Everybody, this game is already over!

The scum are:

Halvor.the.peon

and

Leech

Note leech's chainsaw vote hidden behind the flimsy RVS excuse and then Halvor's similar excuse which is completely obvious OMGUS.

Your push for these two so early on seems a little much Ray. Can you be so sure so early? Leech's vote seemed innocent enough, merely stating you spelled Halvor's named wrong twice, and Halvor stating the same thing doesn't scream scum to me, it was his name you misspelled after all so of course he would use the same reason to vote you at this point.
RayFrost
RayFrost
Survivor
RayFrost
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #21 (ISO) » Mon Nov 16, 2009 4:36 pm

Post by RayFrost »

wolframnhart wrote: Your push for these two so early on seems a little much Ray. Can you be so sure so early? Leech's vote seemed innocent enough, merely stating you spelled Halvor's named wrong twice, and Halvor stating the same thing doesn't scream scum to me, it was his name you misspelled after all so of course he would use the same reason to vote you at this point.
D1 style: GET YOH BANDWAGON ON!!!!

So BANDWAGON HALVOR NOW

BANDWAGON POWAH ACTIVATE DAMMIT
Marblecandy
Marblecandy
Goon
Marblecandy
Goon
Goon

Post Post #22 (ISO) » Mon Nov 16, 2009 4:46 pm

Post by Marblecandy »

wolframnhart wrote:
Marblecandy wrote:First post and you slap me with a random vote? I am going to assume you are just trying to get my attention, much like little boys in kindergarten that pull little girls pigtails when they have a crush on them. :wink:
Yep, totally called me on that one :P

RayFrost wrote:Everybody, this game is already over!

The scum are:

Halvor.the.peon

and

Leech

Your push for these two so early on seems a little much Ray. Can you be so sure so early? Leech's vote seemed innocent enough, merely stating you spelled Halvor's named wrong twice, and Halvor stating the same thing doesn't scream scum to me, it was his name you misspelled after all so of course he would use the same reason to vote you at this point.
The fall of the Soviet Union was preceded by...A charismatic but inexperienced leader, a failing economy bordering on depression, a loss of all respect on the international stage and a disastrous lengthy occupation of afghanistan.
Marblecandy
Marblecandy
Goon
Marblecandy
Goon
Goon

Post Post #23 (ISO) » Mon Nov 16, 2009 4:50 pm

Post by Marblecandy »

Sorry, noobish premature submission, but, you could unvote for me any time now Mr. Wolf. I think that vote served its purpose.

Also, Rayfrost, the closest thing we have to a bandwagon right now are the votes that are piling up on you.
The fall of the Soviet Union was preceded by...A charismatic but inexperienced leader, a failing economy bordering on depression, a loss of all respect on the international stage and a disastrous lengthy occupation of afghanistan.
Leech
Leech
Goon
Leech
Goon
Goon

Post Post #24 (ISO) » Mon Nov 16, 2009 5:06 pm

Post by Leech »

Sorry, noobish premature submission, but, you could unvote for me any time now Mr. Wolf. I think that vote served its purpose.
Does a single vote on you, RVS at that, make you nervous? It kind of bothers me how you just told someone what to do with their vote. Control freak, or scum buddy speak?

Interesting early day 1.

Return to “The Road to Rome [Newbie Games]”