Newbie 864 - Game Over.

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
Parts
Parts
Townie
Parts
Townie
Townie

Post Post #50 (ISO) » Thu Nov 05, 2009 3:11 am

Post by Parts »

RayFrost wrote:I foresee somebody calling that coaching my scum buddy. It will be hilarious to see who does it first.
I would hope that most people could see the difference between scum buddy coaching and just helping a new player improve their game play.
RayFrost
RayFrost
Survivor
RayFrost
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #51 (ISO) » Thu Nov 05, 2009 3:29 am

Post by RayFrost »

Parts wrote:
RayFrost wrote:I foresee somebody calling that coaching my scum buddy. It will be hilarious to see who does it first.
I would hope that most people could see the difference between scum buddy coaching and just helping a new player improve their game play.
It was a joke. Besides, if I WAS coaching you, I'd obviously be far more subtle... I'm a seriously bad town but seriously decent scum player imo :P
don't you feel silly now?
Zorblag
Zorblag
Troll
Zorblag
Troll
Troll

Post Post #52 (ISO) » Thu Nov 05, 2009 4:45 am

Post by Zorblag »

Vote Count 1.2

The numbers by the voters indicate the order in which the vote was cast. If two or more players are tied for the most votes to lynch at the deadline the tiebreaker will be the player who has the earliest active vote.

Sweep: 2: marcosh (3), Col.Cathart (9)
Col.Cathart: 1: Bach (2)
Bach: 1: Sweep (4)
Pablo Molinero: 1: Drizzt (7)
marcosh: 1: RayFrost(8)
RayFrost: 1: Selecao (10)

Not Voting: Parts, Pablo Molinero

With 9 alive it takes 5 to lynch. Currently Sweep would be lynched at Deadline. Deadline is 4:00 PM EST/1:00 PM PST on Tuesday, November 24th.

-Zorblag R`Lyeh
Pablo Molinero
Pablo Molinero
Goon
Pablo Molinero
Goon
Goon

Post Post #53 (ISO) » Thu Nov 05, 2009 7:08 am

Post by Pablo Molinero »

Col.Cathart wrote:Marcosh: It looks to me, like you're trying to discredit RayFrost. Why? Just because he wants to start a random wagon on you?
I know it looks like I'm just hounding after you, Col, but what kind of question is this? Do you see it as a problem that someone wants to discredit their random attackers? I certianly don't.
I foresee somebody calling that coaching my scum buddy. It will be hilarious to see who does it first.
Ray-Parts SCUM!~! I is genius!

Anywho, (*places IC cap on*) I kinda agree on the RVS-unvote. Newbie games suffer from timid natures for too many times in my experience and I am ALL for using your vote as a weapon and keeping it in play. However, keeping it on the same person if you're not going to pursue them after the RVS seems awfully lazy when there's usually plenty of reactions to go off of in the first 3 pages to make even a slightly-informed vote.
SAMMICHES SAMMICHES SAMMICHES
Pablo Molinero
Pablo Molinero
Goon
Pablo Molinero
Goon
Goon

Post Post #54 (ISO) » Thu Nov 05, 2009 8:40 am

Post by Pablo Molinero »

I'll be away for the weekend, btw.
Bach
Bach
Townie
Bach
Townie
Townie

Post Post #55 (ISO) » Thu Nov 05, 2009 9:27 am

Post by Bach »

@Col Cathart: Lame attempt at humor on my part. It's a personal trademark. :)
RayFrost wrote:
Parts wrote:
It was a joke. Besides, if I WAS coaching you, I'd obviously be far more subtle... I'm a seriously bad town but seriously decent scum player imo :P
I am going to
unvote
and
Vote: Ray Frost
. It's a newbie game, so I'd expect more experienced players to be giving out pointers. But what's with this "I'm a bad townie but a good scum player"? Are you insinuating you're playing poorly this game, thus you're town? Or simply trying to garner sympathy through self-deprecation?
marcosh
marcosh
Townie
marcosh
Townie
Townie

Post Post #56 (ISO) » Thu Nov 05, 2009 9:59 am

Post by marcosh »

Col.Cathart wrote:Marcosh: It looks to me, like you're trying to discredit RayFrost. Why? Just because he wants to start a random wagon on you?
I’m not trying to discredit RayFrost. I’m also not certain that RayFrost’s vote on me was wholly random either, particularly given that he made seven posts specifically targeting me.
RayFrost wrote:Psssssshhhhh, the fact I couldn't be asked to catch up doesn't say much.
I don’t understand what you’re referring to with this. Catch up with what/where/when?
RayFrost wrote:The wagon on you is purely for your reaction.
Does one vote constitute a wagon or are you still drumming up trade?
Col.Cathart
Col.Cathart
Mafia Scum
Col.Cathart
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #57 (ISO) » Thu Nov 05, 2009 10:30 am

Post by Col.Cathart »

unvote

vote: Marcosh

I’m not trying to discredit RayFrost. I’m also not certain that RayFrost’s vote on me was wholly random either, particularly given that he made seven posts specifically targeting me.
Don't change the topic please. If you're not trying to to discredit him, then what was your reasoning behind post 42?
I know it looks like I'm just hounding after you, Col, but what kind of question is this? Do you see it as a problem that someone wants to discredit their random attackers? I certianly don't.
In this particular case - I do. And how...

I normally don't mind when other people are jokingly shrugging off their attackers, but Marc's post 42 looked like an attempt to make RF a Village Idiot, who's opinion should be disregarded on sight. True, he definitely underperformed my only game with him so far, but I read some other games, and I know, he can do the job just fine. I didn't vote Marc right then, as I thought it might be another RVS joke, but his latest reaction rubbed me the wrong way, as he seems to trying to talk as less as possible about it.
[b]Mini 934[/b] is [b]over![/b] Thanks to everyone participating.

[i]What the hell? That Colonel guy was awesome.[/i] - Fate
RayFrost
RayFrost
Survivor
RayFrost
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #58 (ISO) » Thu Nov 05, 2009 5:07 pm

Post by RayFrost »

Bach wrote:
RayFrost wrote:
Parts wrote:
I am going to
unvote
and
Vote: Ray Frost
. It's a newbie game, so I'd expect more experienced players to be giving out pointers. But what's with this "I'm a bad townie but a good scum player"? Are you insinuating you're playing poorly this game, thus you're town? Or simply trying to garner sympathy through self-deprecation?
the :P was to give it that "tounge in cheek" feel. I believe I'm decent as town or scum. I just prefer being scum, since I feel I've got a good way to play as scum while I'm still trying to find the right fit for me-town.

I believe I have a bit of history with joking self-deprecation (dunno for sure, never bother meta-ing myself).

At this point, I have no real reason to be doing the AtE (nobody's voting me 'till now, IIRC).

re Marcosh:

I was talking about the game where you all were heathens and killed the blue fire. I couldn't be asked to catch up at that time.

I'd say that two votes is nearing wagon material, wouldn't you? Besides, why overreact to the word "wagon" and also imply that I somehow have a specific reason for choosing you other than you were in the same game as me this one time?

re Pablo:

Oh noes, we be caught in D1!!! D: town winz0rs
Sweep
Sweep
Goon
Sweep
Goon
Goon

Post Post #59 (ISO) » Thu Nov 05, 2009 8:28 pm

Post by Sweep »

Firstly to address the panic caused by the wagon in the RVS stage, I was not worried as when has a wagon in the RVS ever led to anything and it is ridiculous to suggest that it ever would.

I do not like this from Ray as other people have pointed out.
I'm a seriously bad town but seriously decent scum player imo
This could be read either way as a town or a scum tell but my reading would be scum currently due to the confident nature of Ray's play and general attitude.
RayFrost
RayFrost
Survivor
RayFrost
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #60 (ISO) » Thu Nov 05, 2009 8:29 pm

Post by RayFrost »

Sweep wrote:Firstly to address the panic caused by the wagon in the RVS stage, I was not worried as when has a wagon in the RVS ever led to anything and it is ridiculous to suggest that it ever would.

This could be read either way as a town or a scum tell but my reading would be scum currently due to the confident nature of Ray's play and general attitude.
Lol. I am self-deprecating toward my skills even if my play is confident. I could give meta links, but I'm feeling a bit lazy today.
RayFrost
RayFrost
Survivor
RayFrost
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #61 (ISO) » Thu Nov 05, 2009 8:32 pm

Post by RayFrost »

Anywaaaaay...

anything else to say other than just repeating what bach said?
Pablo Molinero
Pablo Molinero
Goon
Pablo Molinero
Goon
Goon

Post Post #62 (ISO) » Fri Nov 06, 2009 5:23 am

Post by Pablo Molinero »

Sweep wrote:Firstly to address the panic caused by the wagon in the RVS stage, I was not worried as when has a wagon in the RVS ever led to anything and it is ridiculous to suggest that it ever would.

You think scum are confident and/or defiant in nature? I think you're absolutely wrong. Mafia know that their arguments are inherently wrong, so it leads to wishy-washy, timid play a lot of the time. Have you experienced otherwise?

To the town: how long and in what capacity have you played mafia before? I've been on this site over a year with 13+ games to my name and play a great deal in real life. Tis good fun.
Sweep
Sweep
Goon
Sweep
Goon
Goon

Post Post #63 (ISO) » Fri Nov 06, 2009 5:42 am

Post by Sweep »

Okay, if your feeling lazy we should let this slide.

I don't understand how any of your posts are pro-town. Your just trying to get a senseless wagon started at first and then post some uncontructive short posts and now saying, I'm lazy so I can't be scum.

Example:
I foresee somebody calling that coaching my scum buddy. It will be hilarious to see who does it first.
Vote: RayFrost
Pablo Molinero
Pablo Molinero
Goon
Pablo Molinero
Goon
Goon

Post Post #64 (ISO) » Fri Nov 06, 2009 6:16 am

Post by Pablo Molinero »

Selecao, your vote was random, but it's obvious things have gotten much more serious. Standing by it?
Sweep
Sweep
Goon
Sweep
Goon
Goon

Post Post #65 (ISO) » Fri Nov 06, 2009 6:34 am

Post by Sweep »

This is my second game, the first in which Zorblag played in with me. Scum ended up winning after a successful day 1 lynch.
Sweep
Sweep
Goon
Sweep
Goon
Goon

Post Post #66 (ISO) » Fri Nov 06, 2009 6:35 am

Post by Sweep »

and Pablo, I do not feel as though Scum are naturally like that, it always depends. I just felt that way after Ray's admission that he feels more confident playing scum and then his general attitude.
Parts
Parts
Townie
Parts
Townie
Townie

Post Post #67 (ISO) » Fri Nov 06, 2009 6:41 am

Post by Parts »

Pablo Molinero wrote:To the town: how long and in what capacity have you played mafia before? I've been on this site over a year with 13+ games to my name and play a great deal in real life. Tis good fun.
This is my first game of mafia played on a forum though I have read some games on here before i signed up to play. I have had some experience playing an IRC version of mafia but it doesn't really compare.
Bach
Bach
Townie
Bach
Townie
Townie

Post Post #68 (ISO) » Fri Nov 06, 2009 9:08 am

Post by Bach »

@Pablo: First game on this site. I've played many games over the past year on another site, and modded a couple (Modding one now, actually).

That site has a really heavy meta-game, and we generally play under a slightly different rules set. I very much consider myself a n00b here. :)

@RayFrost: While I'm all for humor, especially in the early goings, I can also see it as a minor scum tell. I think Pablo's estimation of scum (generally skittish) is pretty spot on for most scum players. It's easy to mask that skittishness with humor. And this statement here...
RayFrost wrote:I believe I have a bit of history with joking self-deprecation (dunno for sure, never bother meta-ing myself).
...is a bit fishy. Sooo, you're giving a meta-game defense, but you don't bother meta-ing yourself?
Selecao
Selecao
Townie
Selecao
Townie
Townie

Post Post #69 (ISO) » Fri Nov 06, 2009 11:51 am

Post by Selecao »

Pablo Molinero wrote:Selecao, your vote was random, but it's obvious things have gotten much more serious. Standing by it?
For the moment, with still weeks before the day end, It doesn't matter to much where my vote sits, although if an obvious bandwagon formed on next to no information, I would quickly hop off the vote.

For now though, I'm more trying to get a feel for how games work here, as the style is completely different from what I am used to.
Zhai'helleva
Bach
Bach
Townie
Bach
Townie
Townie

Post Post #70 (ISO) » Fri Nov 06, 2009 1:28 pm

Post by Bach »

Waiting for the deadline is a bad idea, imho.

Best for the town to reach a majority decision, rather than have it foisted on us. We learn more that way.
RayFrost
RayFrost
Survivor
RayFrost
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #71 (ISO) » Fri Nov 06, 2009 1:35 pm

Post by RayFrost »

Pablo Molinero wrote: To the town: how long and in what capacity have you played mafia before? I've been on this site over a year with 13+ games to my name and play a great deal in real life. Tis good fun.
I've been playing since my join date with I don't keep track of how many games to my name... at least 8, though. I'm currently in (including this one)... about 8 games or so. Maybe a few more. I find it quite enjoyable.

I've yet to win in a situation similar to m/lylo, though :( town or scum. It's frustrating.

re Bach:

"never bothering to meta myself" means I don't bother to go back over the games I've played to read my posting style and the like. That's why I said "I believe" and also offered meta links if you wanted them~
RayFrost
RayFrost
Survivor
RayFrost
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #72 (ISO) » Fri Nov 06, 2009 1:37 pm

Post by RayFrost »

Sweep wrote:Okay, if your feeling lazy we should let this slide.

I don't understand how any of your posts are pro-town. Your just trying to get a senseless wagon started at first and then post some uncontructive short posts and now saying, I'm lazy so I can't be scum.

Example:
Vote: RayFrost
Cool story bro.

I'm not saying "I'm lazy so I can't be scum" at all. Nice misrepresentation there, buddy.

If you can't understand how making (or trying to make) a bandwagon early in the game is a good thing, look at what is currently happening: OMG NON-RANDOM REAL DISCUSSION. I'd say I did a pretty good job getting the game shooting off~ Do you disagree?
Bach
Bach
Townie
Bach
Townie
Townie

Post Post #73 (ISO) » Fri Nov 06, 2009 7:54 pm

Post by Bach »

I disagree, Ray.

RVS essentially ended with post 31, with me questioning the wisdom of the sweep bandwagon (also demonstrating an inability to add).

You continued with your random bandwagon on macrosh after that.

A little more on the scummy side, Mr. Frost. :)
RayFrost
RayFrost
Survivor
RayFrost
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #74 (ISO) » Fri Nov 06, 2009 10:01 pm

Post by RayFrost »

Bach wrote:I disagree, Ray.

RVS essentially ended with post 31, with me questioning the wisdom of the sweep bandwagon (also demonstrating an inability to add).

You continued with your random bandwagon on macrosh after that.

A little more on the scummy side, Mr. Frost. :)
Sooooooooo... your small question was the "end" of the RVS, then?

I guess we'll have to merely disagree, then.

Return to “The Road to Rome [Newbie Games]”