Best Mafia Games for Study?

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
lazarusmoth
lazarusmoth
Goon
lazarusmoth
Goon
Goon

Best Mafia Games for Study?

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Wed Oct 06, 2004 4:02 am

Post by lazarusmoth »

Hey all,

I'm new to the game and to the mafiascum forums but I must say I'm enjoying my stay immensely. I find Mafia to be an enthralling game, one that very easily pulls me away from my other gaming habits (PS2, CCGs) - who knew that a game based on forum posts could be so addictive?

The reason I'm writing is because I want to find out which mafia games have been really well-played and are truly instructive to a beginner like me; brilliant games won by mafia or townies or any other roles.

What would be the Top 3 absolutely best-of-the-best games here that I could read up and enjoy?

(On a side note: I've been reading the Road to Rome newbie games and I have to say that I am starting to be a big fan of
MeMe
. Lots of times where she would just brandish her razorsharp instincts and logic (if I may use it as a verb) her way to scum. I HAVE to see a game where she's mafia, heh)
There are so many questions I'd like to ask, but we are left watching the checkered board. Our eyes pass over the symmetry. I wish it were possible to achieve such mimicry, to move our pieces in peace ├óÔé¼ÔÇ£ my bishops to church, your wild horses to stable.
halfpint
halfpint
Goon
halfpint
Goon
Goon

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Wed Oct 06, 2004 4:12 am

Post by halfpint »

MeMe was scum in Newbie 59, where she aided in the sound defeat of the town. Me, being a newbie on the side of the town, felt her wrath. :)

--halfpint
Fuldu
Fuldu
Mafia Scum
Fuldu
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Wed Oct 06, 2004 4:41 am

Post by Fuldu »

If you want to see truly excellent play by MeMe as scum, you should check (among others), my MiniReg 124, Palindromafia. Town started off with an atrocious Night One, and the only good thing that happened, the cop's investigation of scum MeMe, was deflected by her silvery (forked) tongue.

As for good games you should read, I would recommend reading through the normals for an opportunity to learn how to play. Themed games have a tendency to be very much about the Theme. If you see a theme that you know a lot about, you might be able to learn something from reading it, but more often than not, you learn mostly about the interaction of the strange roles that the mod chose to throw together in that instance. It's probably better to start with games with mostly straightforward roles to learn about general gameplay, and then go back and try to apply that knowledge to the more specific situations of themed games.
It takes a village to raise a lynch mob.
mathcam
mathcam
Captain Observant
mathcam
Captain Observant
Captain Observant

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Wed Oct 06, 2004 5:50 am

Post by mathcam »

I think you might want to lean toward minis...normal games can be somewhat overwhelming to read through. There's just a lot of people to try to keep track of. I personally would recommend Werebear's Mountainous Mafia (Mini 77), as it's small enough to keep track of all the players and doesn't have any mind-boggling rule changes in place. It's just straight-up hardcore mafia.

While I'm talking, I'll also say that there are two good ways to go through past games: One is where you know what everyone's role is by looking at the front page first, and the other is where you read through without knowing the roles and seeing if you can figure out who's mafia as you go.

Cam
Kerplunk
Kerplunk
Mafia Scum
Kerplunk
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Sun Oct 10, 2004 10:18 pm

Post by Kerplunk »

Also Polarboy made a hard-core minimafia:Black and White.

edit
: By the way, in that game MeMe was also scum and did excellent.
shelper
shelper
Moxious
shelper
Moxious
Moxious

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Mon Oct 11, 2004 12:43 am

Post by shelper »

Improbable role mafia. One of the first games i read and the one that helped convince me to sign up to this site and start playing myself.

No Meme though...
[size=75][i]No, Im a rebel! You cant bully me into doing things I dont want to![/i] -VisMaior [/size]
Cadmium
Cadmium
Twentythreeth
Cadmium
Twentythreeth
Twentythreeth

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Mon Oct 11, 2004 12:50 am

Post by Cadmium »

Yeah, kinda hard to imagine a game being played here without MeMe being around yet, isn't it :)?
"OH MY GOD, Cadmium! I can make rye bread! You must be innocent, I'll do whatever you tell me!" exclaims Mackay excitedly. - Jeep, Mini Game 9
Phoebus
Phoebus
Hall Monitor
Phoebus
Hall Monitor
Hall Monitor

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Mon Oct 11, 2004 1:04 am

Post by Phoebus »

MeMe's never in any of my games. :cry:

And she detests my newbie games. :cry:
Your happiness is intertwined with your outlook on life.
jeep
jeep
Cappo Bastone
jeep
Cappo Bastone
Cappo Bastone

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Mon Oct 11, 2004 10:55 am

Post by jeep »

Definitely Improbable Role is good to read. I'll check to see if I have a copy of DP's infamous GL24.

-JEEP
silgado106
silgado106
Someone stop me please
silgado106
Someone stop me please
Someone stop me please

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Mon Oct 11, 2004 11:59 am

Post by silgado106 »

I just spent my whole afternoon reading Improbable Role hehe. Very interesting game indeed.
[size=75](( o-<-< )) Me in a nutshell.... :) Check this [url=http://www.freeiPods.com/default.aspx?referer=9316851]For a referral for me[/url] and [url=http://freeipod.iguano.com/]this for a step by step for a free iPod[/url][/size]
mith
mith
Godfather
mith
Godfather
Godfather

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Tue Oct 12, 2004 1:57 am

Post by mith »

If you want a beast of a game to read, played by players you likely haven't seen play before (except me, and mole at the end):

Brunchma Mafia 3

One of my best performances, IMO. :P

I'll find a mafiascum and GL game to recommend later.
mith
mith
Godfather
mith
Godfather
Godfather

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Tue Oct 12, 2004 2:10 am

Post by mith »

A comparison of Mini 1 and Minvitational 1 shows how powerful a Doctor can be. 3 Mafia and a Cop in both game, a Doctor in the minvitational... Town gets slaughtered in one, Mafia gets slaughtered in the other.

Mini 6 - IS doing his thing.

For GL games, 5 and 10 were both great games, I'll have to see if I can find a copy of them. (We're getting back to 2000/2001 for those. ;))
Mgm
Mgm
Mafia Scum
Mgm
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Tue Oct 12, 2004 10:38 am

Post by Mgm »

There was a game on the GL where (was it DP?) as a Tennisball Vigilante killed almost the entire mafia and won the game for the town. I'd recommend that one. :)
Show
"Logic is a systematic method to come to the wrong conclusion."
[u][b]Next:[/b] Doctor Who Mafia[/u]
[u]Testimonials about Mgm:[/u]
:shock: - Stoofer
You put me through hell Mgm, my nerves are crushed :/ - Patrick
Fatal Malfunction
Fatal Malfunction
Watcher
Fatal Malfunction
Watcher
Watcher

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Tue Oct 12, 2004 10:41 am

Post by Fatal Malfunction »

Quick Question: What came first? The mafia game via the net (the online stuff) or the mafia game via cards?
[img]http://www.dedbeat-online.com/Pictures/FatalBannerSM.gif[/img]
jeep
jeep
Cappo Bastone
jeep
Cappo Bastone
Cappo Bastone

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Tue Oct 12, 2004 1:07 pm

Post by jeep »

lazarusmoth
lazarusmoth
Goon
lazarusmoth
Goon
Goon

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Tue Oct 12, 2004 4:21 pm

Post by lazarusmoth »

Great games posted here! Thank you for responding to my request. :D
There are so many questions I'd like to ask, but we are left watching the checkered board. Our eyes pass over the symmetry. I wish it were possible to achieve such mimicry, to move our pieces in peace ├óÔé¼ÔÇ£ my bishops to church, your wild horses to stable.
Cadmium
Cadmium
Twentythreeth
Cadmium
Twentythreeth
Twentythreeth

Post Post #16 (ISO) » Tue Oct 12, 2004 9:24 pm

Post by Cadmium »

Mgm wrote:There was a game on the GL where (was it DP?) as a Tennisball Vigilante killed almost the entire mafia and won the game for the town. I'd recommend that one. :)
DP was the mod of that game, Aussie Mafia. It was Taflinel who killed one mafia after another. Although I completely disagree with a vigilante making random kills like that, it was quite impressive and it'll definitely be a nice read.
"OH MY GOD, Cadmium! I can make rye bread! You must be innocent, I'll do whatever you tell me!" exclaims Mackay excitedly. - Jeep, Mini Game 9

Return to “Mafia Discussion”