ekiM
ekiM
Mafia Scum
ekiM
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #101 (ISO) » Sat Oct 17, 2009 7:25 am

Post by ekiM »

• Claims are for stopping power roles getting lynched. Apart from that function, claims are bad. They let the scum know whom to target.
  • Unnecessary claims are really bad. Claims should happen when a clear and solid majority wants to lynch someone. Not before.
  • Don't ask for a claim too early. Just because someone is at L-1 doesn't mean "it's time for them to claim". Only if everyone currently on the wagon is still gung-ho for a lynch, and someone else is ready to hammer. L-2 is ridiculously early.
  • If someone asks you to claim and you think it's too soon, don't just submit. Argue against it.
  • Vanilla claims should never stop a lynch, if the claim was requested at the right time. If they did, it means they were asked too early. (N.B., it's not scummy to claim as vanilla, it's just a bad idea. Argue the wagon instead.)
ekiM
ekiM
Mafia Scum
ekiM
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #102 (ISO) » Sat Oct 17, 2009 7:27 am

Post by ekiM »

julienvonwolfe what was the value in making a long post analyzing a silly argument?
julienvonwolfe
julienvonwolfe
Mafia Scum
julienvonwolfe
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #103 (ISO) » Sat Oct 17, 2009 7:35 am

Post by julienvonwolfe »

Well, it was the most significant thing in the thread to date, and spurred at least a few votes - eg. IAUN's, and Nuwen's.

Would you have chosen to ignore it? What do you think of my analysis? Do you disagree with my conclusions?
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #104 (ISO) » Sat Oct 17, 2009 7:38 am

Post by xRECKONERx »

Hoopla wrote:Why are you so keen to claim?
Vote: Hoopla

Rolefishing.
green shirt thursdays
MacavityLock
MacavityLock
Impin' Ain't Easy
MacavityLock
Impin' Ain't Easy
Impin' Ain't Easy

Post Post #105 (ISO) » Sat Oct 17, 2009 8:25 am

Post by MacavityLock »

xRECKONERx wrote:

Rolefishing.
How are you reading that as rolefishing?
Toro
Toro
Goon
Toro
Goon
Goon

Post Post #106 (ISO) » Sat Oct 17, 2009 9:00 am

Post by Toro »

MacavityLock wrote:
xRECKONERx wrote:

Rolefishing.
/smashes head through wall to butt into convo

I'm not reading that as rolefishing at all, as from reading Mr Suave's post it seems that he's asking us if he should claim or not. Though in this time he's probably either thought up a fake claim or is just preparing to post his claim.
Show
Overall Record: 4-4

Scum: 3-1
Town: 1-3
Indy: 0-0
Nuwen
Nuwen
Mafia Scum
Nuwen
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #107 (ISO) » Sat Oct 17, 2009 9:23 am

Post by Nuwen »

I like most of julien's post. He articulates well the issue: Nuwen asked for fringe information, Geek asked Nuwen why Nuwen wanted fringe information, Nuwen held off answering until Geek said Nuwen was scummy. I have a different read on why that back and forth resolved the way it did, however:

1. I took care to explain that I didn't think age was relevant to alignment. This is key. Because I emphasized that the information would contribute to a personality baseline,
not act as case material
, trying to call that act scummy is scummy unto itself. Geek is painting an alignment-neutral action in a negative light.

2. The difference between Nuwen's qualms with Geek and Geek's qualms with Nuwen:
  1. Nuwen asks for alignment-independent info.
  2. Geek inquires why (alignment independent
    so far
    ) Nuwen wants info if it won't be used to hunt scum.
  3. Nuwen wonders aloud why Geek cares, since the information won't be used in a case (this is the regression that julien pointed out, where our problems with each other seem identical)
  4. Geek commits to a stance and says Nuwen is scummy for fishing out information that isn't indicative of alignment (here's were Geek becomes scummy - not because he believes I'm scummy, but because he's opportunistically using an alignment neutral action as fuel for a case)
The reasoning is confusing and seems similar. The timing is important. In retrospect, it appears that Geek was looking for a foothold with which he could build a case.
julienvonwolfe wrote: Nuwen, I'm not seeing why scum wouldn't do this. IAUN's vote was basically at the tail end of the RVS in my opinion (see Hoopla's later Suave vote), and as such, didn't need a heck of a lot of reasoning behind it. I can see why he made it, though, if he is town.
I've always thought that votes to end the RVS garner the
most
attention - the first, second (and sometimes third) vote switches of the game are usually picked to death in subsequent post, and I've noticed that scum tend to avoid that type of attention. If a scum player DOES lead the way out of RVS, it's usually with a very strong case (fabricated or not). No stated reason draws attention to Iam, which seems like an action more likely to be taken by a town player poking out information.
So high, so low, so many things to know.
aim:gochat?roomname=ScumChat&Exchange=5
Nuwen
Nuwen
Mafia Scum
Nuwen
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #108 (ISO) » Sat Oct 17, 2009 9:27 am

Post by Nuwen »

Tubby needs to post something committing soon. His presence in this game has been chatty, and he isn't tied to any other players at all.
MacavityLock
MacavityLock
Impin' Ain't Easy
MacavityLock
Impin' Ain't Easy
Impin' Ain't Easy

Post Post #109 (ISO) » Sat Oct 17, 2009 1:14 pm

Post by MacavityLock »

Toro wrote:
MacavityLock wrote:
xRECKONERx wrote:

Rolefishing.

I'm not reading that as rolefishing at all, as from reading Mr Suave's post it seems that he's asking us if he should claim or not. Though in this time he's probably either thought up a fake claim or is just preparing to post his claim.
While I agree with Toro in principle here, something feels off about this post. It's quite a bit of coaching for 2 sentences. I'm just not sure if Toro is trying to coach Reck, Suave, or both.
julienvonwolfe
julienvonwolfe
Mafia Scum
julienvonwolfe
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #110 (ISO) » Sat Oct 17, 2009 3:44 pm

Post by julienvonwolfe »

Nuwen wrote:I like most of julien's post. He articulates well the issue: Nuwen asked for fringe information, Geek asked Nuwen why Nuwen wanted fringe information, Nuwen held off answering until Geek said Nuwen was scummy. I have a different read on why that back and forth resolved the way it did, however:

1. I took care to explain that I didn't think age was relevant to alignment. This is key. Because I emphasized that the information would contribute to a personality baseline,
not act as case material
, trying to call that act scummy is scummy unto itself. Geek is painting an alignment-neutral action in a negative light.

2. The difference between Nuwen's qualms with Geek and Geek's qualms with Nuwen:
    so far
  3. Nuwen wonders aloud why Geek cares, since the information won't be used in a case (this is the regression that julien pointed out, where our problems with each other seem identical)
  4. Geek commits to a stance and says Nuwen is scummy for fishing out information that isn't indicative of alignment (here's were Geek becomes scummy - not because he believes I'm scummy, but because he's opportunistically using an alignment neutral action as fuel for a case)
The reasoning is confusing and seems similar. The timing is important. In retrospect, it appears that Geek was looking for a foothold with which he could build a case.
I'll wait to see what Geek says before giving any more of my own thoughts. Your position is reasonable, though.

Now, for all, here's how Suave plays as scum:

http://www.mafiascum.net/forum/viewtopi ... c&&start=0

Based on this game alone I feel like policy-lynching the bugger for being unreadable, at least to me. I ended up thinking the whole game that he was newb-town, but he ended up being newb-scum.

However, this is a bit irrational on my part, so instead I'm just going to keep a close eye on Suave, and not make the same mistake again. I have learnt that noobiness plus hyperactive gerbil posting doesn't always equal town, and so will be much more willing for a Suave lynch this time. Basically, to get my eye off him, he'll have to be onto it with his voting patterns and scumhunting techniques.
Toro
Toro
Goon
Toro
Goon
Goon

Post Post #111 (ISO) » Sat Oct 17, 2009 5:11 pm

Post by Toro »

MacavityLock wrote:
Toro wrote:
MacavityLock wrote:
xRECKONERx wrote:

Rolefishing.

While I agree with Toro in principle here, something feels off about this post. It's quite a bit of coaching for 2 sentences. I'm just not sure if Toro is trying to coach Reck, Suave, or both.
I get where you're coming from thinking it's coaching, but I'm just posting my PoV really.
Show

Toro
Toro
Goon
Toro
Goon
Goon

Post Post #112 (ISO) » Sat Oct 17, 2009 5:23 pm

Post by Toro »

julienvonwolfe wrote:
Nuwen wrote:I like most of julien's post. He articulates well the issue: Nuwen asked for fringe information, Geek asked Nuwen why Nuwen wanted fringe information, Nuwen held off answering until Geek said Nuwen was scummy. I have a different read on why that back and forth resolved the way it did, however:

not act as case material

so far
I'll wait to see what Geek says before giving any more of my own thoughts. Your position is reasonable, though.

Now, for all, here's how Suave plays as scum:

http://www.mafiascum.net/forum/viewtopi ... c&&start=0

Based on this game alone I feel like policy-lynching the bugger for being unreadable, at least to me. I ended up thinking the whole game that he was newb-town, but he ended up being newb-scum.

However, this is a bit irrational on my part, so instead I'm just going to keep a close eye on Suave, and not make the same mistake again. I have learnt that noobiness plus hyperactive gerbil posting doesn't always equal town, and so will be much more willing for a Suave lynch this time. Basically, to get my eye off him, he'll have to be onto it with his voting patterns and scumhunting techniques.
Lynching him because he's unreadable? Are you serious? So what you're saying is that if you can't get a read on him, he deserves to die? You're f**king kidding me.
Show

julienvonwolfe
julienvonwolfe
Mafia Scum
julienvonwolfe
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #113 (ISO) » Sat Oct 17, 2009 6:07 pm

Post by julienvonwolfe »

Surely you noticed how I followed that statement with 'but that's irrational..."?

The reason that I couldn't get a read was because of the "newbie vs scum" conumdrum. Now that he's no longer a newb, he doesn't have any excuse for scummy behaviour.
Toro
Toro
Goon
Toro
Goon
Goon

Post Post #114 (ISO) » Sat Oct 17, 2009 6:30 pm

Post by Toro »

julienvonwolfe wrote:Surely you noticed how I followed that statement with 'but that's irrational..."?

The reason that I couldn't get a read was because of the "newbie vs scum" conumdrum. Now that he's no longer a newb, he doesn't have any excuse for scummy behaviour.
Reading the entire post, not my strong suit apparently. :lol:
Show

MrSuave
MrSuave
Goon
MrSuave
Goon
Goon

Post Post #115 (ISO) » Sat Oct 17, 2009 6:41 pm

Post by MrSuave »

That scum meta was a one time use thing though. I can't pull the noob stuff off anymore xD. But I think generally I don't think that I'm that easy to read. I mean, I do most of my scummy stuff in my mind and play out things in my head, till I find the best senario, and I change the plan as things change on me. But I don't think that being unreadable is a reason for a lynch on me D=. Also I was just asking if I should claim at L-2, because L-2 is pretty close to L-1 in my mind.
HowardRoark
HowardRoark
Goon
HowardRoark
Goon
Goon

Post Post #116 (ISO) » Sun Oct 18, 2009 4:37 am

Post by HowardRoark »

Vote Count (D1)

Nuwen (1) -- geekalicious
Hoopla (1) -- MrSuave
MrSuave (5) -- julienvonwolfe, xRECKONERx, MacavityLock, SophistricDoctrine, Hoopla
geekalicious (2) -- iamausername, Nuwen
SophisticDoctrine (1) -- ekiM
Toro (1) -- Toro

Not Voting (1) -- tubby216

With 12 alive it takes 7 to lynch.

Deadline: 12 NOV 2009 at 5:15 pm UTC (Countdown)
Last edited by HowardRoark on Mon Nov 16, 2009 8:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Help your fellow players by replacing into a game.
geekalicious
geekalicious
Goon
geekalicious
Goon
Goon

Post Post #117 (ISO) » Sun Oct 18, 2009 5:12 am

Post by geekalicious »

julienvonwolfe wrote:Geek wades in with a post that basically tells Nuwen off for collecting fringe info. I think he's missing the point, and possibly taking it personally; if Suave was indeed a hyperactive 13-year-old, that would be useful information, and as such, I think Nuwen's original enquiry of Suave was fine. However, Geek does make a good point that not all people of the same age are equal.
Hm, good point, I do suspect that I started to take it personally.
julienvonwolfe wrote:Interestingly, it does come across as a bit of a Suave defense, come to think of it. Geek, why did you feel the need to contribute this?
Because I felt that Nuwen was fishing for irrelevant information on a player and that made me suspicious enough to ask her about it.
Nuwen wrote:4. Geek commits to a stance and says Nuwen is scummy for fishing out information that isn't indicative of alignment (here's were Geek becomes scummy - not because he believes I'm scummy, but because he's opportunistically using an alignment neutral action as fuel for a case)
How am I opportunistically using information at this point? I've just been trying to ask you questions on why you asked another player a particular question. If you had actually replied to my initial question instead of "declining" as I recall you putting it (in my eyes, a nice rephrasing for "avoiding the question"), then my suspicion level on you wouldn't be nearly as high.

I'm suspicious about the MrSuave wagon at this point. Yes, his posting style is excitable and annoying, but I don't really see what he's done so scummy at this point to deserve 5 votes even if it is a random voting stage wagon. The only tell I see so far is his avoiding MacavityLock's question for so long.
You're just jealous 'cause my geekshake brings all the nerds to the yard.
MrSuave
MrSuave
Goon
MrSuave
Goon
Goon

Post Post #118 (ISO) » Sun Oct 18, 2009 6:34 am

Post by MrSuave »

oh, answer to your question, no, they were wrong, so I guess I have no reason to believe it ^_^;;... but there was one theory that was right, but they used it wrong and I remained alive! =D
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #119 (ISO) » Sun Oct 18, 2009 6:51 am

Post by xRECKONERx »

MrSuave, please don't use excessive emoticons, because it always makes me more suspicious of you.
green shirt thursdays
julienvonwolfe
julienvonwolfe
Mafia Scum
julienvonwolfe
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #120 (ISO) » Sun Oct 18, 2009 6:57 am

Post by julienvonwolfe »

geekalicious wrote:
julienvonwolfe wrote:Interestingly, it does come across as a bit of a Suave defense, come to think of it. Geek, why did you feel the need to contribute this?
Because I felt that Nuwen was fishing for irrelevant information on a player and that made me suspicious enough to ask her about it.
And why did it make you suspicious?

xRECKONERx wrote:MrSuave, please don't use excessive emoticons, because it always makes me more suspicious of you.
Coaching, much?
MrSuave
MrSuave
Goon
MrSuave
Goon
Goon

Post Post #121 (ISO) » Sun Oct 18, 2009 7:22 am

Post by MrSuave »

how do emots cause suspicion? I can understand it can cause annoyance, but suspicion? I think you're pushing it a bit far.
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #122 (ISO) » Sun Oct 18, 2009 7:48 am

Post by xRECKONERx »

No, actually, I'm not coaching. I'm just warning him that if he's town, using emoticons when under heavy suspicion don't really do much to alleviate concerns.
green shirt thursdays
julienvonwolfe
julienvonwolfe
Mafia Scum
julienvonwolfe
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #123 (ISO) » Sun Oct 18, 2009 8:52 am

Post by julienvonwolfe »

that seems oddly solicitous of you.
Nuwen
Nuwen
Mafia Scum
Nuwen
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #124 (ISO) » Sun Oct 18, 2009 9:56 am

Post by Nuwen »

geekalicious wrote: How am I opportunistically using information at this point? I've just been trying to ask you questions on why you asked another player a particular question. If you had actually replied to my initial question instead of "declining" as I recall you putting it (in my eyes, a nice rephrasing for "avoiding the question"), then my suspicion level on you wouldn't be nearly as high.
You're still asserting that what I did was more likely to be scum than town, right?

I'm also not comfortable with the wagon on Suave combined with the half-jokes about policy lynching. Reckoner, a good town player's responsibility is to work with what he or she is given. If you can't cope with a posting style, the blame falls on you. Allowing it to influence reads is outright anti-town.

Return to “Completed Mini Normal Games”