Newbie 834 (Game Over!)

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
0x1de
0x1de
Goon
0x1de
Goon
Goon

Post Post #25 (ISO) » Wed Sep 02, 2009 10:47 am

Post by 0x1de »

1) None
2) Can't answer (see above)
0x1de
0x1de
Goon
0x1de
Goon
Goon

Post Post #26 (ISO) » Wed Sep 02, 2009 10:53 am

Post by 0x1de »

playplay wrote:Visual representation of your name can make it easier to re-read a conversation quickly.
I second this. Plus it's nice to know where you are from.

@Americans: we don't know your states etc, would it hurt to add USA to the end?
ef87
ef87
Townie
ef87
Townie
Townie

Post Post #27 (ISO) » Wed Sep 02, 2009 11:06 am

Post by ef87 »

playplay wrote:I'd rather like to vote for either of the 2 players without an avatar. Visual representation of your name can make it easier to re-read a conversation quickly.
vote: playplay
i'd love to have an avatar but everything i try to upload one:

Unable to upload file

DEBUG MODE

Line : 257
File : usercp_avatar.php
playplay
playplay
Townie
playplay
Townie
Townie

Post Post #28 (ISO) » Wed Sep 02, 2009 11:20 am

Post by playplay »

Ah joke-voting on Day1, isn't favoured for players on MafiaScum, then?
Guess i'll

Unvote

I guess both questions can be answered in one, as personally, this is my first game of mafia but guess I've read enough to understand most of the basics. Another forum that I read, sparked my interest in mafia and I've read a few games on there and some here on mafiascum, and decided to try it out. Hence, I dont have a preference of either role, in all honesty.

Would you mind answering the same 2 questions yourself Darkstrike,
and I was also wondering where abouts in the UK you hail from?

@0x1de: Glad you agree, does make things easier in the long run. I esp. like that Greendudes name is a discription of his avatar, or visa versa. I also like your xbox live avatar ;)

@ef87: Bleh i dont know what 2 suggest to be honest, you may wish to try posting in the administration-> help section of the forum, or maybe an SE/IC/Mod might have a suggestion.
playplay
playplay
Townie
playplay
Townie
Townie

Post Post #29 (ISO) » Wed Sep 02, 2009 11:44 am

Post by playplay »

@ef87: Dont mean to be rude, but have you checked to ensure the filesize is no more than 30kb and no larger than 100x100 pixels in demension. If you want some help with this, I'll try and help or use tinypic.com to resize it avatar size, and link to it from there.

I also found this user whos Jpeg wasnt correctly formatted.
ef87
ef87
Townie
ef87
Townie
Townie

Post Post #30 (ISO) » Wed Sep 02, 2009 12:12 pm

Post by ef87 »

thanks playbyplay, used tinypic to resize. that was the problem!
playplay
playplay
Townie
playplay
Townie
Townie

Post Post #31 (ISO) » Wed Sep 02, 2009 12:38 pm

Post by playplay »

@ef87: No probs mate, but the names playplay or 2play if your feeling really lazy. I like your Mario-innuendo-themed avatar by the way ^^

To continue with Darkstrike's theme of random questions, have you played mafia before and if so, do you have a preference for playing as scum or town?
If this your first game, and guessing as your reg date is the same as mine, could I ask where you first learnt about mafia and why you decided to play?

@all: Anyone else who wants to answer these questions feel free 2 join in.

and just 'cos because we have one avatar-less player

Vote: Jackinthebox777

;)
ef87
ef87
Townie
ef87
Townie
Townie

Post Post #32 (ISO) » Wed Sep 02, 2009 12:59 pm

Post by ef87 »

@play^2 i play Cybernations, and my alliance's forum has a mafia thread. i didnt know much about it, so i searched around and found this place.

thought i would get more experience with the forums here as they are more active. perhaps later i will be good enough to play in my alliance thread :)

Vote: motbob
motbob
motbob
Goon
motbob
Goon
Goon

Post Post #33 (ISO) » Wed Sep 02, 2009 1:07 pm

Post by motbob »

ef87 wrote:@play^2 i play Cybernations, and my alliance's forum has a mafia thread. i didnt know much about it, so i searched around and found this place.

thought i would get more experience with the forums here as they are more active. perhaps later i will be good enough to play in my alliance thread :)

Vote: motbob
OMG u suck

unvote
vote ef87
teamliquid.net is where I got my mafia skillz.
ef87
ef87
Townie
ef87
Townie
Townie

Post Post #34 (ISO) » Wed Sep 02, 2009 1:14 pm

Post by ef87 »

@motbob wow that was a fast reply! only reason i voted you was cuz you hadnt said anything since /confirm. you seem to be in lurk mode!
motbob
motbob
Goon
motbob
Goon
Goon

Post Post #35 (ISO) » Wed Sep 02, 2009 2:08 pm

Post by motbob »

And I only voted you to illustrate what OMGUS is (because you'll probably see that term a lot.) OMGUS is when you vote someone in retaliation for them voting you.
teamliquid.net is where I got my mafia skillz.
playplay
playplay
Townie
playplay
Townie
Townie

Post Post #36 (ISO) » Wed Sep 02, 2009 3:02 pm

Post by playplay »

Night guys, its silly AM here in Blighty, just a quick question:
Oman wrote:
Vote: Playplay

Jumping on a player for no reason other than to increase the number of votes on them. Once this section is over I'll discuss the reasoning.
Oman, would you care to explain the reasoning behind this mate as I'm sure you just pushed me one other random town vote away from the mafia lynching me by Image-ing.

Thats assuming you are town ^^

@mod or IC/SE: How are votes for a lynch counted, is it done manually by the mod, or are votes placed within a quotes invalid, or have i just voted for myself again? :)
hohum
hohum
Uncle Potbear
hohum
Uncle Potbear
Uncle Potbear

Post Post #37 (ISO) » Wed Sep 02, 2009 3:26 pm

Post by hohum »

vote counts are done manually. Please remember to bold your requests so I don't miss them.
GreenDude
GreenDude
Goon
GreenDude
Goon
Goon

Post Post #38 (ISO) » Wed Sep 02, 2009 6:43 pm

Post by GreenDude »

motbob: I'm not an alien, I'm a human being. At least that's what you're supposed to think...

Since this is called the random voting stage I want to use random.org but in my other game they started a bandwagon on me because of that so I'm not going to be random. And
vote:Playplay
Violence is not the answer. It is a question, and my answer is yes!
Oman
Oman
NK Immune Miller Vig
Oman
NK Immune Miller Vig
NK Immune Miller Vig

Post Post #39 (ISO) » Wed Sep 02, 2009 8:07 pm

Post by Oman »

1) Lots, its been about two years worth.

2) I "enjoy" scum roles more, but I have been trending towards town roles, they're a lot more interesting to play.
playplay wrote:
Oman wrote:
Vote: Playplay

Jumping on a player for no reason other than to increase the number of votes on them. Once this section is over I'll discuss the reasoning.
Oman, would you care to explain the reasoning behind this mate as I'm sure you just pushed me one other random town vote away from the mafia lynching me by Image-ing.
Okay, firstly, I'll begin by saying the one thing nobody wants this early in the game is to be lynched. For that reason, the more votes someone has on them, the jumpier they are. They become easier to read, or if they're scum, they make mistakes. For that reason, the best thing to do is to get votes on your number one suspect.

Secondly, no scum in their right mind would have lynched you, because they would have revealed themselves and been taken out. Thats why its a good idea, all benefit, no drawback.

That said, we're moving towards the point where someone could be lynched, and right now, I have a few ideas (no I will not share them so don't ask :P)
It's unfortunate that good oral sex excuses bad chemistry. - Korts
0x1de
0x1de
Goon
0x1de
Goon
Goon

Post Post #40 (ISO) » Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:03 pm

Post by 0x1de »

@playplay: glad you like the picture. How did you know it was from xbox?

@ef87: thanks for adding a pic. Mind you, the 2girls1cup ref is gross (just a comment, not a criticism).

@Darkstrike: Asking questions without providing answers is a bit smelly.

@Oman: how can you tell anything at this stage.

So my vote stays with CSL even though Jack is equally suspicious for lurking.
Darkstrike_11
Darkstrike_11
Goon
Darkstrike_11
Goon
Goon

Post Post #41 (ISO) » Wed Sep 02, 2009 11:18 pm

Post by Darkstrike_11 »

I'm sorry I haven't been on the site since I asked the questions, so I haven't had a chance to answer them!

This is my 5th game of mafia on this site. Me and my friends play real world mafia a fair bit as well, but its so different because it requires acting and poker faces.

I can't really speak from experience, 5 games and I have yet to draw a scum role. It's gotten to the point when I'm actively wishing to be scum to see what its like. So I'll say I prefer scum roles since it looks fun and I wanna go!

Finally, I live in southampton, hampshire. Although in a couple of weeks I'm moving to exeter for university. I'm loving the high amount of UK players here! I've always been the only one in previous games!

PlayPlay, dare I ask City or United?

Someone said about random voting not being the standard on this site. In fact, random voting is very much the standard on this site, something I don't particularly like. Take the playplay wagon, for instance. Since it was made on random votes, there is no legitimate pressure on playplay, since he knows it is highly unlikely he will be lynched. Therefore he wont be pressurised by the wagon into possibly letting a scumtell slip. That is why I don't like random voting. It doesn't really help the town that much. Of course, as a device for generating conversation it is so-so, but the questions in this game have helped conversation more than the votes so far.

Anyway, does anyone have any suspicions so far? I have to say I suspect motbob a little. He must have been lurking hard to reply with his OMGUS vote in 8 minutes!
Oman
Oman
NK Immune Miller Vig
Oman
NK Immune Miller Vig
NK Immune Miller Vig

Post Post #42 (ISO) » Wed Sep 02, 2009 11:22 pm

Post by Oman »

Ox1de wrote:@Oman: how can you tell anything at this stage.
After two years I've developed no special technique or graph that lets me determine things, but I have developed a "feel" basically people do things that is usually done by this group or that group, and it gives me a lead.

I do not say that I "know" anything right now, nor do I think I have all that much to go on, but yes, I have a feel or two.

Also, time for a lesson that I think is important to start with:

Lurking vs Not Here

This distinction really is as clear as defining the two:
Not Here(/inactive/flaked/abandoned): Has lost interest or ability to continue and thus is no longer reading the thread or participating in the game. That is, a player who is "Not Here" is not doing it for any tactical advantage, they just aren't here.

Lurking: Lurking is where a player is reading along, and calculating or analyzing the game, however, they are not posting to avoid drawing suspicion to themselves or for some other tactical advantage.

Just sayin'
It's unfortunate that good oral sex excuses bad chemistry. - Korts
CSL
CSL
Jack of All Trades
CSL
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #43 (ISO) » Thu Sep 03, 2009 12:48 am

Post by CSL »

Well...who here seems to be scum? Let's find out, shall we?

Watch out for a reply leter.
Show
"I can't kill my own best friend, especially when I can't do shit at all!" - Tragedy

"
T
H
E
T
I
G
E
R
B
L
O
O
D
L
U
S
T
W
A
S
R
U
N
N
I
N
G
T
H
R
O
U
G
H
M
Y
V
E
I
N
S
" - Amrun

V/LA from Mafia on weekends. Sorry!
0x1de
0x1de
Goon
0x1de
Goon
Goon

Post Post #44 (ISO) » Thu Sep 03, 2009 4:04 am

Post by 0x1de »

Oman wrote:
Lurking vs Not Here
Thanks for that. It made me think a bit.

If someone really isn't there then they wouldn't respond to a prod. So Jack is either not playing or is mafia.

Two players did respond. At least Darkstrike provided some info. CSL's post was just pointless.

So my vote stays with CSL. It started off as a joke, but now I'm suspicious.
ef87
ef87
Townie
ef87
Townie
Townie

Post Post #45 (ISO) » Thu Sep 03, 2009 4:10 am

Post by ef87 »

I have to say, i am suspicious of motbob. not because he voted for me after i voted for him, but how quickly he responded to my vote after i casted it.

he hadnt said anything since /confirm, however 8 minutes after i voted for him, he pops up. doesnt seem to be doing much scum-hunting.
playplay
playplay
Townie
playplay
Townie
Townie

Post Post #46 (ISO) » Thu Sep 03, 2009 7:01 am

Post by playplay »

Well first things first
Unvote

Doing this as I guess the way I have been flip-floping my vote around might be perceived as scummy, but I was hoping to inject some conversation into the thread.

Would like to see Jack post something though, as he hasn't posted since the confirmation and is currently under the minimum post requirements, 1post/48hr.

I still seem to be sitting on 2 votes, which is a little worrying and I dont really know how to convince players that I am a genuine town player, just saying so seems a little contritived. Oman, what you said about mafia not wanting to "throw down" the last 2 votes, so they can remain off the radar makes sense complete sense. But I'm envisioning that if the mafia get on the bandwagon early, not that I'm accusing you and greendude of that ;) that maybe other newer town players will be more jumpy in this early stage and may want to get that day one bandwagon lynch.

Damn, this is confusing, but the argument seems a bit WIFOM, if that's the correct usage of it?

Greendude, gotta ask mate, why are you voting for me? You mentioned that you wanted to lynch by random selection, said that other players lynched you for that and then in the next line with no explaination, voted for me. That seems a little, well random, if not suspicious

I had a look at the cybernation website, ef87 and that game looks crazy :) Is your alliances in one of those top 10 nations on the front page? My motivations for playing here are pretty similar to you, I hoped to gain some skill to play on the main forum that I read, which has a fairly active mafia contingent.

I'd recognise those Xbox avatar glasses and eye-style anywhere 0x1de, was a pretty active GoW2 online player up until a few months ago when my out of warranty, 360 red-ringed for the 4th and final time, and wouldnt respond to my efforts to fix it. Shorty after, my gaming PC hard drives failed, so I'm now playing games from the 1990's on my sisters old old desktop PC, reading forums and playing browser games. Sigh

Ahh its not really much of a big deal Darkstrike, I'm a United fan, but not the United from Manchester. One that plays in the first division now, but that's a story for another time... Loving the English players in here too. I've never heard of Real-Life mafia, that sounds pretty good fun. How do you perform night actions without someone knowing who's doing what? I had an image of 7 people sat in a room, round a table and suddenly, off go the lights. When you turn them back on, someone has a knife sticking in their back! Guess you would have to play with a new group of people every week thought. How long do games typically last? and how are roles distributed?

Ugh that turned into a huge rant:
tl;dr: Hi to all and I'm town, please dont day one bandwagon lynch me in my first game :)
ef87
ef87
Townie
ef87
Townie
Townie

Post Post #47 (ISO) » Thu Sep 03, 2009 7:49 am

Post by ef87 »

playplay wrote: I had a look at the cybernation website, ef87 and that game looks crazy :) Is your alliances in one of those top 10 nations on the front page? My motivations for playing here are pretty similar to you, I hoped to gain some skill to play on the main forum that I read, which has a fairly active mafia contingent.
Yes indeed my alliance is in the top 10. i am part of IRON (Independent Republic of Orange Nations).

the game is pretty involved, very lifelike as politics are very much involved, treaties, governments, etc. we were under surrender terms from the last war (Karma War) where we promised not to buy military and agreed to pay war reps for an amount of time. i think the terms ended around Aug 24 and we jumped from the 8th alliance to the 5th alliance of the game almost overnight. a big accomplishment.

if you are thinking about joining, you are more than welcome to join our alliance.
CSL
CSL
Jack of All Trades
CSL
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #48 (ISO) » Thu Sep 03, 2009 9:13 am

Post by CSL »

@playplay: Acknowledged.

@ef87: your post, aptly named 45, I agree with somewhat, but I don't fully believe motbob is suspicious.

@0x1de: I was hurried to make the post before I had to go to school.
Show
"I can't kill my own best friend, especially when I can't do shit at all!" - Tragedy

"
T
H
E
T
I
G
E
R
B
L
O
O
D
L
U
S
T
W
A
S
R
U
N
N
I
N
G
T
H
R
O
U
G
H
M
Y
V
E
I
N
S
" - Amrun

V/LA from Mafia on weekends. Sorry!
ef87
ef87
Townie
ef87
Townie
Townie

Post Post #49 (ISO) » Thu Sep 03, 2009 9:38 am

Post by ef87 »

@CSL well who DO you think is suspicious? i dont think you have named anyone yet. all of your posts have been quick and to the point w/o any real meat on them. i know you're going to say its because of the weekday... but still.

Return to “The Road to Rome [Newbie Games]”