Mini 811: Foggy Londontown Mafia - Over!

DTMaster
DTMaster
Mafia Scum
DTMaster
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #925 (ISO) » Fri Aug 28, 2009 8:31 pm

Post by DTMaster »

I had planned to do an analysis but this game is so far back in my back burner list that it makes me kinda sad and I forgot about this game. By now I view this as two possibilities.

a. We are hitting scum since there was no quick lynch after Kiku's L-2 vote.
b. It is a Kiku/SC scum team.

I'm willing to gamble on a right now based on Iam's case and the logistics of finding a replacement since Dank has been absent for a long time. I'm only slightly worried though due to bias from that case.

Vote: Dank
iamausername
iamausername
Mafia Scum
iamausername
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #926 (ISO) » Sat Aug 29, 2009 2:12 am

Post by iamausername »

If I had a hammer
I'd hammer in the morning
I'd hammer in the evening
All over this land
I'd hammer out danger
I'd hammer out a warning
I'd hammer out love between my brothers and my sisters
All over this land

Vote: dank
kikuchiyo
kikuchiyo
Mafia Scum
kikuchiyo
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #927 (ISO) » Sat Aug 29, 2009 4:29 am

Post by kikuchiyo »

So... is that a scum victory song, or a hopeful townie one?
DTMaster
DTMaster
Mafia Scum
DTMaster
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #928 (ISO) » Sat Aug 29, 2009 4:47 am

Post by DTMaster »

A hammering song?
DraketheFake
DraketheFake
Goon
DraketheFake
Goon
Goon

Post Post #929 (ISO) » Sat Aug 29, 2009 5:15 am

Post by DraketheFake »

Final Vote Count of Day 3 (Coincidentally, also the first vote count)
[/u]
dank:
4 (iamausername, DTMaster, kikuchiyo, SerialClergyman)

Not Voting:
2 (dank, Gwynplaine)

After a brief day spent sipping tea and trading snappy British-isms, it becomes clear that one player in particular is still having trouble getting up out of his bed.

"I say," says SerialClergyman. "Perhaps he's losing sleep because he's a werewolf, busily eating the members of this town at night instead of partaking in his required beauty rest."

This sentiment is met by general shrugging and nodding, and the remaining town members surround dank's door, decorum first and foremost on their minds.

dank,
Townie
, smothered politely with a feather pillow Day 3

It is now Night 3. Night actions are due to me by noon on Monday, September 1st.
DraketheFake
DraketheFake
Goon
DraketheFake
Goon
Goon

Post Post #930 (ISO) » Sat Aug 29, 2009 4:23 pm

Post by DraketheFake »

The town crier knocks at your doors before anyone is even able to fall asleep.

"Hark," says he. "Foul murder hath already been committed."

You follow him to the room of
DTMaster
, whose body has been butchered most expertly. His bones lie in a neat pyramid near the door, and his flesh lies in heaping piles on plates on his kitchen table, the whole scene lit most serenely by candlelight.

"I fear the -" begins the town crier, but a knife between the ribs cuts him short.

"We'll be able to save him for later," says
SerialClergyman
, removing his hood to reveal a face quickly transforming into a muzzle.

"Bu-bu-but you were so sure that it was dank," says
kikuchiyo
. "How couldst thou, my honored friend?"

"Gentlemen, if you'll excuse me," cuts in
iamausername
, "but I fear I must be going."

"I think not, dear friend," says
Gwynplaine
, stepping from the shadows, his hands curling and sprouting the customary hair and razor-sharp nails. "We insist you stay for a midnight snack."

DTMaster,
Townie
, torn to shreds Night 3.

kikuchiyo
and
iamausername,
Townies
, added to the feast and Endgamed.

SerialClergyman
and
Gwynplaine,
Werewolves
, are the winners of Foggy Londontown Mafia! Congratulations!

My set-up document is on another computer, so the role PMs will have to wait. The night actions were as follows:

Night 1

ThAdmiral protects Mokina
qwints kills ThAdmiral
SerialClergyman kills Hero764

Night 2

Gwynplaine kills Nikanor

Night 3

SerialClergyman kills DTMaster

I'll post my thoughts in a bit and/or tomorrow, depending on my state of packed-ness.
Last edited by DraketheFake on Sat Aug 29, 2009 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DraketheFake
DraketheFake
Goon
DraketheFake
Goon
Goon

Post Post #931 (ISO) » Sat Aug 29, 2009 4:25 pm

Post by DraketheFake »

The first and foremost thing I can think of is RE: qwints claiming SK:

Your role had full NK protection. Did you really think it was only one-shot (i.e. was my role PM too confusing?), or was that a ruse to make yourself less threatening?
Last edited by DraketheFake on Sat Aug 29, 2009 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nikanor
Nikanor
Jack of All Trades
Nikanor
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #932 (ISO) » Sat Aug 29, 2009 4:26 pm

Post by Nikanor »

Ack.
Oh well!
Good job, scum!
I am in the bottom 10% of scumhunters onsite!
DTMaster
DTMaster
Mafia Scum
DTMaster
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #933 (ISO) » Sat Aug 29, 2009 4:49 pm

Post by DTMaster »

I was so sure dank was scum :<.

Good job SC and Gwyn team. In hindsight the game was really thrown your way for the longest time. I'm interested in your quick topic.
Nikanor
Nikanor
Jack of All Trades
Nikanor
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #934 (ISO) » Sat Aug 29, 2009 4:56 pm

Post by Nikanor »

Yeah, the sheer number of anti-town players in this game was astounding. Our protection power roles were all given to the inexperienced players, unfortunately (trying to be nice, here).
I am in the bottom 10% of scumhunters onsite!
DTMaster
DTMaster
Mafia Scum
DTMaster
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #935 (ISO) » Sat Aug 29, 2009 5:02 pm

Post by DTMaster »

Day one brutalized us :<. SC played a very strong individual game here with the really good distancing in his recent posts. I doubt we would have resolved to find SC as scum and gone for a Gwyn/Dank back to back lynch in any order. :o

Plus it didn't help that Dank being V/LA was still gone after he got back.
SerialClergyman
SerialClergyman
Mafia Scum
SerialClergyman
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #936 (ISO) » Sat Aug 29, 2009 5:10 pm

Post by SerialClergyman »

My thoughts -

It was a bit of a disappointing end with dank not around to defend himself, but I don't think him being here would have changed too much. Your case against dank and gwyn was truly excellent iam, it was really, really impressive. It was horrible luck that you just focused on a few things that turned it slightly in the wrong direction.

My initial post wasn't about lynching FC, it was about saving nadroj. We only had 2 in the scumgroup so I figured if I bussed or let him die I wouldn't be able to win with a SK or another mafia group around and still so many townies alive. So I put all my eggs in one basket and tried to save him, which just happened to work out nicely. Iam caught me out using pretty bad logic to accuse the masons as well, so I just tried to be as stubborn as possible and focus on convincing everyone that I was intent on an FC lynch no matter what.

Gwyn replacing in was great. He attacked me right away and didn't hammer FC, which I wasn't happy about at the time, but in retrospect it was a good move. I felt like he left me hanging a bit after I did all this work to get FC to L-1, but his attack meant we were almost never seen as a pair and reduced the suspicion that would have happened the next day about me saving nadroj.

The Lowell wagon was a lucky counter.. I did desperately want him lynched and I thought about switching but I thought it was too important to keep my image uptight, and if worst came to the worst killing the doc would be alright, and Lowell could have killed himself by hiding with us or the other anti-town role(s).

My post at 627 was my attempt to solve the problem laid out by (I think) qwints - if both wagons were town, perhaps the town should look at those derailing the nadroj wagon. The whole reasoning was to try to redefine the town's direction away from that line of enquiry to a different one (who jumped around more) because that fit in with my work casting doubt on dank D1 and led away from me and Gwyn.

I thought I could stay on kiku for a long time without attracting too much suspicion after the AtE. DTMaster called me on it but luckily I had enough quotes to show I was at least slightly prodding her to answer the question. And I tossed a couple of points at qwints in case I needed to get onto his wagon. I thought my comment about supporting the wagon but not getting on it right away would be a bit of a 'too scummy to be scummy' moment - a charge of 'you were leaving yourself room to join the wagon' would be a bit too obvious to say.

Then once qwints was identified as the SK he needed to be killed, and it was worth forcing the issue a bit. Both Gwyn and I argued for the lynch pretty strongly as well as contributing our votes. (If qwints wasn't killed, gwyn or I could easily have been a lynch and/or NK, so it was very important.) Kiku picked up on it in the last day, but I think my defence to you kiku was pretty sound - there was a good reason for the town to lynch qwints - I guess the only clue was working out how strongly people were arguing for it, not just contributing their vote etc. I actually thought the NK immune function was a lie, so lucky for us that he did get lynched.

Then the last day was dominated by iam's fantastic but misdirected case and a few little things to smooth over. I was mindful of pushing too hard for dank over gwyn but on the other hand I was a little nervous that if gwyn copped it people would go back and check on who saved him day 1, so I was definitely looking to try to get dank to be the lynch. And so it goes.

It was a really enjoyable game actually, my first as scum, so now people can finally meta me :P Well done Gwyn, you played very well.

Bad luck to town who had some really good moments but on just a few key events took slightly the wrong angle and it led to the wrong lynch.

And thanks Drake for a good game, fun setup and great flavour!
I'm old now.
SerialClergyman
SerialClergyman
Mafia Scum
SerialClergyman
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #937 (ISO) » Sat Aug 29, 2009 5:42 pm

Sorry guys, no quicktopic, we just PMed each other.

Our main points of discussion were:

a) noting that iam scared the crap out of me with a few searching posts on day 1 that pinpointed the bad parts of my case perfectly,
b) thinking we should start killing the masons rather than search for more power roles or kill iam or seach for the SK because the more those confirmed roles built up the more we'd be in trouble. (Lucky for us they were lovers)
c) Tossing up between iam and nikanor for the kill on the second night. We thought they were both obviously town but thought we might be able to cast suspicion on DTMaster a bit more with Nikanor's death, and it just worked out with who suspected who, I think.
d) Me preparing Gwyn for my telling the town to nolynch to appear townie. Unfortunately, iam got in first. As a side note, what I was referring to kiku was the scum can always not kill anyone. So town doesn't lynch, scum doesn't kill and it's a bit of a lame stalemate. The only way that isn't true is if there's a cop or something, because then the cop can spend each night investigating and have a complete picture on who is scum or not.

I think that's about it for our night conversations, we didn't talk very much.
I'm old now.
iamausername
iamausername
Mafia Scum
iamausername
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #938 (ISO) » Sun Aug 30, 2009 1:41 am

Post by iamausername »

I'm still really shocked that it wasn't dank/Gwyn, I think that's about the most convinced I've ever been that I've found the scumteam besides the one game newbie where I was cop and had them mod confirmed as scum. It just made so much sense.

Anyway, congrats, you two. Gwyn did very well to pull himself out of the hole nadroj dug for him, and SC was just excellent all around. Definitely a well deserved victory, I think.
iamausername
iamausername
Mafia Scum
iamausername
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #939 (ISO) » Sun Aug 30, 2009 2:00 am

Post by iamausername »

iamausername wrote:game newbie
Oops, accidentally I the reversed words!
Gwynplaine
Gwynplaine
Goon
Gwynplaine
Goon
Goon

Post Post #940 (ISO) » Sun Aug 30, 2009 6:23 am

Post by Gwynplaine »

SC pretty much covered the scum team thinking, so I'll just add my own thoughts/observations.

When I replaced in, nadroj was looking like the obvious lynch candidate (after the doc claim), so I figured my best bet was to get some distance between me and SC by going after him first thing. The funny thing is I really
wasn't
concerned about looking scummy in that much-discussed post, because I thought I'd be the Day One lynch anyway.

Iam pretty much had me nailed on Day 3, but everybody was so convinced that SC was town that I felt like we had a good shot of winning even if I got lynched. After I flipped wolf, dank would have had a really tough time of it.

I'm kind of surprised that nobody picked up on the one big scum slip that I did make, which was changing my story on why I didn't unvote Lowell after the hider claim. At first I said I thought Lowell was scummier than FC, regardless of their roleclaims, but then when dank went after me on Day 2, I forgot I'd written that and said that I hadn't seen the roleclaim until after Lowell was already hammered.

Other things: I really honestly did think that kiku and qwints were a team. I thought 8:2:2 was a more likely setup than 9:2:1. Especially with the number of power roles we saw on Day 1 (which turned out to be all the power roles, but I obviously didn't know that at the time), and the fact
that qwints killed the doctor -- I thought a mafia team would be more likely to take out the doc than an SK would. In retrospect, the town lovers make the setup closer to 8:2:1, and that's probably more balanced than 7:2:2.

Also I'll just pat myself on the back for predicting that ThAdmiral would protect Mokina rather than Hero on Night One.
I'm back
kikuchiyo
kikuchiyo
Mafia Scum
kikuchiyo
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #941 (ISO) » Mon Aug 31, 2009 5:09 pm

Post by kikuchiyo »

Excellent game by scum team.

Serial: Good job at rendering me virtually powerless. I think if I hadn't lost my confidence I might have been able to pick you out, however, like I said: I don't think I would have put you with Gwyn. The distancing there was awesome.

Note to town: Claimed serial killers shouldn't be lynched in those situations. As you can see, both scum were on the wagon. My partner was in a game with a similar scenario where he pushed for the sk lynch as scum and then won in lylo by lynching a townie who was also on the wagon.

Iam: Great work, I feel like I let you down a bit. I don't know if it would have made much difference, but I feel like I should have pushed for Gwyn first.

SC's two biggest scumtells: lynching the sk and casting a vote on an absent player in lylo. I bit hard on that last one.

Fun game to all.
"Yes, Kiku fucked me thoroughly and left me on the side of the road to be lynched." - Snow White
SerialClergyman
SerialClergyman
Mafia Scum
SerialClergyman
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #942 (ISO) » Mon Aug 31, 2009 5:26 pm

Kiki - I literally just completed beard mafia with don when I also lynched a player who wasn't there in lylo, but that time I was town and he was scum. So I had that meta up my sleeve if things went pear shaped.

I think you played well, just lost it a bit in day two. Mind you, you didn't get lynched and ended up obvtown so that counts for a lot. I don't think you let anyone down at all and I hope you didn't take anything I said as scum personally.
I'm old now.
dank
dank
Goon
dank
Goon
Goon

Post Post #943 (ISO) » Mon Aug 31, 2009 5:51 pm

Post by dank »

sigh, i'm sorry for the delayed absence, though, I don't know what I could have done after iam's monster case one. The points on werewolves and the hider were truly just newbie mistakes for me, I guess. In general, this game had a bit of a different tone then the few others i've played, so I guess I was kind of new to it.

Nonetheless, gg. Good job scum. Sorry for the absence, town.
Gwynplaine
Gwynplaine
Goon
Gwynplaine
Goon
Goon

Post Post #944 (ISO) » Tue Sep 01, 2009 6:26 am

Post by Gwynplaine »

kikuchiyo wrote:Note to town: Claimed serial killers shouldn't be lynched in those situations.
Mmm, I don't think so. I mean, yeah, in the best-case scenario you lynch a werewolf instead, the SK NK's the other werewolf, then the next day you lynch the SK and win. But I think that's a pretty unlikely scenario.

Consider that the T:W:SK ratio was 5:2:1 at that point. If you don't lynch the SK, you've got a 29% change of lynching a werewolf and a 71% chance of lynching a townie. Either way, we go to night (at 4:2:1 or 5:1:1).

That night, the werewolves will kill a townie (because a.) the SK claimed NK-immune and b.) it's not to their benefit to kill him anyway.) In the 4:2:1 scenario, there's a 17% chance that the SK kills the same townie as the wolves did, a 50% chance he kills a different townie, and a 33% chance he kills one of the werewolves. In the 5:1:1 scenario, there's a 17% chance that he kills the same townie, a 67% chance he kills a different townie, and a 17% chance he kills the remaining werewolf.

So the possible lineups on the next day are, from most to least likely:

(3:1:1) 42%
(2:2:1): 36%
(3:2:1): 12%
(4:1:1): 5%
(4:0:1): 5%

Taking these one by one:

(3:1:1) If you lynch the SK now, and go into night at 3:1:0, the wolf NKs a townie and the next day you're at a classic 2:1 lylo.

If you don't lynch the SK now, you've got a 25% chance of lynching the remaing wolf and eventually winning (night is 3:0:1, next day is 2:0:1), and a 75% chance of lynching a townie and going into night at 2:1:1, which I think is always a town loss. The wolf NKs a townie, and the SK has a 33% chance of NKing the same townie, a 33% chance of NKing the other townie, and a 33% chance of NKing the wolf. So the next day you're at 1:1:1, 0:1:1, or 1:0:1, none of which the town can win.

(2:2:1) Now you CAN'T lynch the SK, because that's an instant win for the wolves. But you can't lynch anybody else either, because then you go into night at 1:2:1 or 2:1:1, and there's no town win coming out of those. Even if you were able to get a No Lynch (and it wouldn't be in either the wolves' or the SK's best interests to vote No Lynch), you'd go into night at 2:2:1, and I don't see any town win scenario there, either. Wolves always NK a townie. SK NK's that same townie (25%), a different townie (25%), or a wolf (50%) and then you're into the next day at 1:2:1, 0:2:1, or 1:0:1.

(3:2:1) Again, you can't lynch the SK without triggering an autowin for the wolves. 60% of the time you lynch a townie and go into night at 2:2:1, which is a town loss. The other 40% of the time you lynch one of the wolves and go into night at 3:1:1. The wolf NKs a townie, and the SK can either NK the same townie (25%), a different townie (50%) or the wolf (25%), sending you into the next day at 2:1:1, 1:1:1, or 2:0:1, only the latter of which is a town win.

(4:1:1) If you lynch the SK, you go into night at 4:1, and the next day you're in a 3:1 lylo. If you don't lynch the SK, 20% of the time you hit scum and go into night at 4:0:1, and the next day you're at 3:0:1 and you know who the SK is so you can lynch him and win. The other 80% of the time, you go into night at 3:1:1, with possible outcomes as described above.

(4:0:1) Lynch the SK and win.

The math here all assumes lynches and NKs are effectively random. Obviously, you can do better than random chance and that will affect the numbers somewhat, but it seems to me the town-loss scenarios will still outnumber the town-win scenarios. Also, the percentages may not add up to 100 due to rounding.
I'm back
Gwynplaine
Gwynplaine
Goon
Gwynplaine
Goon
Goon

Post Post #945 (ISO) » Tue Sep 01, 2009 6:32 am

Post by Gwynplaine »

EBWOB: There's a typo in the (2:2:1) scenario. The last line should be "... you're into the next day at 1:2:1, 0:2:1, or 1:1:1."
I'm back
kikuchiyo
kikuchiyo
Mafia Scum
kikuchiyo
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #946 (ISO) » Tue Sep 01, 2009 6:36 am

Post by kikuchiyo »

So what would be the odds of lynching two scum in a row in the scenario we were in?

In my personal experience it has panned out better to hope for crosskills than to rely on lynching correctly three days in a row. Remember, just because someone claims sk doesn't mean they are. In that situation I am more comfortable getting a counterclaim. i.e. It is in mafia's best interest to counterclaim and lynch the sk giving one of themselves up if they can't outright lynch the sk. Theoretically. I just think its better town play to give the opposing factions a chance at nking each other, and only acquiescing to the sk lynch if there is a counterclaim. It forces scum to either nk the sk, or out one of their own to lynch him. I have read four games now where town lynching sk's in similar situations has always resulted in a town loss.
Gwynplaine
Gwynplaine
Goon
Gwynplaine
Goon
Goon

Post Post #947 (ISO) » Tue Sep 01, 2009 11:20 am

Post by Gwynplaine »

At 4:2, lynching randomly every day wins for town 1/12 of the time, or about 8%. That's a 1/3 chance of hitting one of the two wolves the first day and a 1/4 chance of hitting the remaining wolf the next day. With strategic no-lynches (and assuming the wolves don't just no-kill in response), you can increase those odds to around 13%. (No lynch the first day, 2/5 chance of hitting a wolf the second day, no lynch on the third day and 1/3 chance of getting the final wolf on the last day.)

You're also neglecting that a.) qwints claimed (one-shot) NK-immune and there was no way we were going to waste a kill (or two) testing that; and b.) in most of the scenarios, if the SK is trying to win he's hoping to kill townies and not werewolves. Some of that depends on how exactly the victory conditions were worded, of course, but it seems like the SK would win if any day started out 0:1:1 or 1:0:1, because then he can't be lynched. Which means he's only going to try and kill a wolf if the night starts out 1:2:1 or 2:2:1. Once a wolf is lynched, he definitely wants to kill townies, because he loses on a day that starts 2(+):0:1.

Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't see how falsely claiming serial killer would ever help anybody win the game, unless they were a jester.
I'm back
SerialClergyman
SerialClergyman
Mafia Scum
SerialClergyman
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #948 (ISO) » Tue Sep 01, 2009 12:43 pm

Well, the situation you were in wasn't ideal with the loss of 4 townies and all of your power roles the night before, so it was always going to be hard for the town.

Even so, if you consider you had at least 1 obvtown and possibly 2 if you count yourself, kiku, then the endgame was 1/2 x 1/3 = 1/6 chance of winning.

Qwints would win unless he was lynched, due to NK immune. Thus he had to be lynched at some point.

I suppose keeping him around for one extra night would be ideal. That means you wouldn't get stuck with an even number. although I guess you do need to hit scum with either the lynch or qwints' NK to have a chance.

It was a hard situation to be in.

As for claiming SK, Albert Rampage claimed SK as scum at one point, it was fantastic. He lived for 3 days beyond what he should have lived for because he knew the real SK couldn't counter-claim. Classic.
I'm old now.
SerialClergyman
SerialClergyman
Mafia Scum
SerialClergyman
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #949 (ISO) » Wed Sep 02, 2009 5:00 am

Drake, did you have any thoughts on the game from a mod's perspective?
I'm old now.

Return to “Completed Mini Normal Games”