ortolan
Mafia Scum
ortolan
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #50 (ISO) » Wed May 13, 2009 8:05 pm

Post by ortolan »

Empking isn't a bad player and I can already vouch for his towniness 100%

Starbuck- no, there is no reason for him to be particularly likely to be scum, beyond my own whim.
Currently modding Mole Mafia: http://www.mafiascum.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=20529

Feel free to PM me to be ready in case I need a replacement.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #51 (ISO) » Wed May 13, 2009 8:27 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

ortolan wrote:Empking isn't a bad player and I can already vouch for his towniness 100%

Starbuck- no, there is no reason for him to be particularly likely to be scum, beyond my own whim.
To quote the philosophers, pffft.
One time, back in 'nam, Sudo was set upon by an entire squadron of charlies. He challenged them all to a game of Pictionary, which he won resoundingly. The charlies were forced to not only surrender the skirmish, but also their world-famous chili recipe, which Sudo sold to Texas for a hefty profit. Sudo is a master of diplomacy.
Empking
Empking
Empking's Alt's Alt
Empking
Empking's Alt's Alt
Empking's Alt's Alt

Post Post #52 (ISO) » Thu May 14, 2009 4:29 am

Post by Empking »

Unvote

Vote; Mix

Wants a QL but won't come out and say it and isn't obv town.
Plus, if you guys want to make a point, skip the walls, because everyone else in the game does as well. - Magister Ludi
Kmd4390
Kmd4390
I lost a bet.
Kmd4390
I lost a bet.
I lost a bet.

Post Post #53 (ISO) » Thu May 14, 2009 6:17 am

Post by Kmd4390 »

ortolan wrote:Empking isn't a bad player and I can already vouch for his towniness 100%
Ok, I know this is intentional. You are after Sudo for no reason and you call Empking "100%" town. The only time I've seen you defend Emp like this was in Past Ages where you were scum.

Why are you being intentionally scummy?
KMD is the coolest dude who ever lost a bet to me - vonflare
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #54 (ISO) » Thu May 14, 2009 7:40 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Kmd4390 wrote:
Ok, I know this is intentional. You are after Sudo for no reason and you call Empking "100%" town. The only time I've seen you defend Emp like this was in Past Ages where you were scum.

Why are you being intentionally scummy?
QFT.
Vote Ortolan
some more.
One time, back in 'nam, Sudo was set upon by an entire squadron of charlies. He challenged them all to a game of Pictionary, which he won resoundingly. The charlies were forced to not only surrender the skirmish, but also their world-famous chili recipe, which Sudo sold to Texas for a hefty profit. Sudo is a master of diplomacy.
Mixologist
Mixologist
Goon
Mixologist
Goon
Goon

Post Post #55 (ISO) » Thu May 14, 2009 9:35 am

Post by Mixologist »

I'm glad my attempt at humor was not lost on all. I was hoping more people would respond so I could gauge some reactions on that. However, all I got was an OMGUS vote by Empking. Guess that will have to do.
Wretched excess is an unfortunate human trait that turns a perfectly good idea such as Christmas into a frenzy of last-minute shopping-or attaches the name of St. Patrick to the day of the year that bartenders fear most.
SensFan
SensFan
Fortuna Ex Deus
SensFan
Fortuna Ex Deus
Fortuna Ex Deus

Post Post #56 (ISO) » Thu May 14, 2009 3:03 pm

Post by SensFan »

ortolan - 3 (Sudo, Shadow, Mixologist)
Andycyca - 2 (KMD, Tony)
TonyMontana - 2 (xofelf, Goat)
Sudo_Nym - 1 (ortolan)
Mixologist - 1 (Empking)

Not voting - 3 (Andy, orangepenguin, Starbuck)

With 12 alive, it takes 7 to lynch!
(11:04:10 PM) senspizzaline: That's actually my bold prediction for the year
(11:04:19 PM) senspizzaline: Miami finishes 2nd in the AFCE.
(11:05:35 PM) jhawk01b: my bold prediction for the year is that whoever wins the NFC West will have a winning record
Andycyca
Andycyca
Gets To Kill All Spammers
Andycyca

Post Post #57 (ISO) » Thu May 14, 2009 4:57 pm

Post by Andycyca »

Please, I think we've already gone through the silly discussion phase.

Vote: Ortolan
Planning: Katamari Damacy Mafia - Less than 50% done!

BTRAF 6 coming to a Mafia Forum near you. Now with 50% less chlorine! Bring your tin foil hat
Starbuck
Starbuck
Jack of All Trades
Starbuck
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #58 (ISO) » Thu May 14, 2009 6:07 pm

Post by Starbuck »

Andycyca wrote:

Please, I think we've already gone through the silly discussion phase

I would hope so.
<3 Kise, Reck, dram, tans, & Kats <3
ortolan
ortolan
Mafia Scum
ortolan
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #59 (ISO) » Thu May 14, 2009 6:28 pm

Post by ortolan »

I am not being "intentionally" scummy so to speak, I was/am merely trying a new approach to the opening game.

I undertook a course of behaviour which is nonsensical, but not clearly pro-town or pro-scum- calling for quicklynches of random players is inherently neutral and, probabilistically, is as likely to hit scum as any other form of non-specific pressure.

I was looking for

1) the target's own reaction to being wagoned (not as important)

2) people who deliberately ignore my actions even though they are quite attention-drawing

3) people who react badly to my inherently neutral actions, especially those providing inconsistent justifications for doing so.

Empking loves easy wagons as scum but at least took the time to question my course of action before laying down a vote; ergo: pro-town.

Sudo_Nym's reaction is a predictable OMGUS but his reaction in 54 is nonsensical. Someone being "deliberately scummy" (although I actually disagree with this characterisation itself) is very rarely a good reason to lynch them.
FoS: Sudo_Nym

My vote however, is reserved for Andycya, who despite apparently making his own joke vote in 24 (well that's what he described it as after the fact), now says:
Andycya (57) wrote:

Please, I think we've already gone through the silly discussion phase.

Vote: Ortolan
Basically implying that apparently nonsensical behaviour (although mine had an underlying purpose) does not even deserve discourse, and should be attacked with a vote without any justification.

Unvote
Vote: Andycya
Goatrevolt
Goatrevolt
Pond Scum
Goatrevolt
Pond Scum
Pond Scum
Happy Scumday!

Post Post #60 (ISO) » Thu May 14, 2009 6:52 pm

Post by Goatrevolt »

Unvote, Vote Andycyca

You explained your earlier vote on me as a joke vote, even though it looked like a serious post. I was willing to give you the benefit of the doubt on it, because internet sarcasm can be tough to pick up on. However, now you say that the random phase is silly and give the impression that you find it to be pointless. I'd say either your earlier vote was serious and you just explained it away as a joke (which fits with your distaste of the RVS), or your earlier post really was a joke and your ortolan vote now is just really hypocritical. Either way, it's scummy.
Empking
Empking
Empking's Alt's Alt
Empking
Empking's Alt's Alt
Empking's Alt's Alt

Post Post #61 (ISO) » Fri May 15, 2009 4:01 am

Post by Empking »

Uunvote

Vote: Goat

Looks like bandwagon jumping for a bad reasons.
Plus, if you guys want to make a point, skip the walls, because everyone else in the game does as well. - Magister Ludi
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #62 (ISO) » Fri May 15, 2009 11:00 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Sudo_Nym's reaction is a predictable OMGUS but his reaction in 54 is nonsensical. Someone being "deliberately scummy" (although I actually disagree with this characterisation itself) is very rarely a good reason to lynch them. FoS: Sudo_Nym
I was already voting you, I think. No matter. My vote on you has more to do with my belief that your actions made you a good opening bandwagon than any "deliberate scummyness" you have. It usually takes more than the random stage to determine if someone is really being scummy or what.
ortolan
ortolan
Mafia Scum
ortolan
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #63 (ISO) » Fri May 15, 2009 2:08 pm

Post by ortolan »

define "good opening bandwagon"
Currently modding Mole Mafia: http://www.mafiascum.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=20529

Feel free to PM me to be ready in case I need a replacement.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #64 (ISO) » Fri May 15, 2009 3:14 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

ortolan wrote:define "good opening bandwagon"
The opposite of a bad opening bandwagon.
Goatrevolt
Goatrevolt
Pond Scum
Goatrevolt
Pond Scum
Pond Scum
Happy Scumday!

Post Post #65 (ISO) » Fri May 15, 2009 6:38 pm

Post by Goatrevolt »

Empking wrote:
Uunvote

Predictable. Feel free to refute my reasoning if you believe it to be bad.
Starbuck
Starbuck
Jack of All Trades
Starbuck
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #66 (ISO) » Fri May 15, 2009 8:18 pm

Post by Starbuck »

Are we sure we should be going for ort and not Emp?
Empking
Empking
Empking's Alt's Alt
Empking
Empking's Alt's Alt
Empking's Alt's Alt

Post Post #67 (ISO) » Fri May 15, 2009 10:49 pm

Post by Empking »

Goatrevolt wrote:
Empking wrote:
Uunvote

Being hypocritical is a character trait, not a scum tell.
Goatrevolt
Goatrevolt
Pond Scum
Goatrevolt
Pond Scum
Pond Scum
Happy Scumday!

Post Post #68 (ISO) » Sat May 16, 2009 2:01 am

Post by Goatrevolt »

Empking wrote:
Goatrevolt wrote:
Empking wrote:
Uunvote

It's a character trait, alright...a character trait of people who have the alignment: Scum.

I'll admit, hypocrisy is not the biggest tell in the book, but it can certainly be reflective of scum. Townies act in a way they deem to benefit the town. So they have little reason to accuse others of being scum for acting in that same manner (a manner they consider pro-town). On the other hand, scum are acting to benefit their nefarious ends, and will sometimes demonstrate hypocrisy in attacking something that they themselves are guilty of, for a variety of reasons (as a reason to join a wagon, because they weren't at their "towniest" at some point).

I'm curious, though. Why do you say it's a character trait? Do some people just have the "hypocrisy gene" and others don't?
Goatrevolt
Goatrevolt
Pond Scum
Goatrevolt
Pond Scum
Pond Scum
Happy Scumday!

Post Post #69 (ISO) » Sat May 16, 2009 2:06 am

Post by Goatrevolt »

Starbuck wrote:Are we sure we should be going for ort and not Emp?
Why do you think we should be going for Emp?
Starbuck
Starbuck
Jack of All Trades
Starbuck
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #70 (ISO) » Sat May 16, 2009 3:09 am

Post by Starbuck »

Goatrevolt wrote:

It was just a question. I'm not sure which way we should be going as I have never played with any of you before. I don't know how you play when you are scum or when you are townie, and the same for everyone else.
Empking
Empking
Empking's Alt's Alt
Empking
Empking's Alt's Alt
Empking's Alt's Alt

Post Post #71 (ISO) » Sat May 16, 2009 4:10 am

Post by Empking »

Goatrevolt wrote:
Empking wrote:
Goatrevolt wrote:
Empking wrote:
Uunvote

It's a character trait, alright...a character trait of people who have the alignment: Scum.

I'll admit, hypocrisy is not the biggest tell in the book, but it can certainly be reflective of scum. Townies act in a way they deem to benefit the town. So they have little reason to accuse others of being scum for acting in that same manner (a manner they consider pro-town). On the other hand, scum are acting to benefit their nefarious ends, and will sometimes demonstrate hypocrisy in attacking something that they themselves are guilty of, for a variety of reasons (as a reason to join a wagon, because they weren't at their "towniest" at some point).

I'm curious, though. Why do you say it's a character trait? Do some people just have the "hypocrisy gene" and others don't?
I can see your point.

Unvote

I don't think its down to genes though.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #72 (ISO) » Sat May 16, 2009 7:57 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Goatrevolt wrote:
Empking wrote:
Goatrevolt wrote:
Empking wrote:
Uunvote

While wonderful in the sense of theory, I'm not sure it really works out that clean. Townies try to act in a manner that benefits the town, but there's not really a consensus on what consitutes a townie action, so what seems like a good townie move to the player making it could easily look scummy to another. So how do you judge hypocrisy on a person's actions, if the motives are potential extremely different for a non-obvious reason?
Kmd4390
Kmd4390
I lost a bet.
Kmd4390
I lost a bet.
I lost a bet.

Post Post #73 (ISO) » Sat May 16, 2009 10:38 am

Post by Kmd4390 »

Starbuck wrote:
Goatrevolt wrote:

It was just a question. I'm not sure which way we should be going as I have never played with any of you before. I don't know how you play when you are scum or when you are townie, and the same for everyone else.
Is meta required in mafia? What are your reads right now?

(By the way, I don't see Emp as scum right now.)
KMD is the coolest dude who ever lost a bet to me - vonflare
Mixologist
Mixologist
Goon
Mixologist
Goon
Goon

Post Post #74 (ISO) » Sat May 16, 2009 12:46 pm

Post by Mixologist »

unvote

Ortolan's opening behavior, after re-reading, comes across more as trying to attract responses. Which it apparently has. I'm not willing to vote Andy at this point yet though. Would like to see how he responds.

@Mod- Can we get prods on our MIA's?
Wretched excess is an unfortunate human trait that turns a perfectly good idea such as Christmas into a frenzy of last-minute shopping-or attaches the name of St. Patrick to the day of the year that bartenders fear most.

Return to “Completed Mini Theme Games”