Game Ethics/Tactics: Faking V/LA

This forum is for discussion related to the game.

Faking V/LA: Ethically/Tactically

Ethically OK / Tactically Sound
8%
Ethically OK / Tactically Not
2%
Ethically Not / Tactically Sound
52%
Not OK / Not Sound
37%

Total votes: 86

SensFan
SensFan
Fortuna Ex Deus
SensFan
Fortuna Ex Deus
Fortuna Ex Deus

Post Post #75 (ISO) » Wed May 06, 2009 4:27 pm

Post by SensFan »

shaft.ed wrote:
destructor wrote:
shaft.ed wrote:If V/LA can be faked then there is no point in having V/LA.

That is all.
V/LA is meaningless unless it's confirmed by the mod.
So the V/LA threadis just a means for people to exploit this "loophole"?

V/LA serves an important purpose. People that abuse it aredoing a serious disservice to the game.
What's the difference between the following?

*"I'll be busy this weekend, don't expect much, if anything."
*"I am V/LA until Sunday afternoon"
*(on Sunday)"Sorry, I had a busy weekend, and couldn't post much"

Which are Scum allowed to do?
Which are Scum not allowed to do?
(11:04:10 PM) senspizzaline: That's actually my bold prediction for the year
(11:04:19 PM) senspizzaline: Miami finishes 2nd in the AFCE.
(11:05:35 PM) jhawk01b: my bold prediction for the year is that whoever wins the NFC West will have a winning record
SensFan
SensFan
Fortuna Ex Deus
SensFan
Fortuna Ex Deus
Fortuna Ex Deus

Post Post #76 (ISO) » Wed May 06, 2009 4:28 pm

Post by SensFan »

charter wrote:No it isnt. If I'm going to be on V/LA for a while, then I PM the mod or post in thread. Whenever you PM the mod, they post in the thread that soandso is going to be V/LA so everyone knows.'

edit: this was in response to sens, not shaft.
I'm not going to PM the mod, I'll post in-thread.

Whether I'm lying, or not, I mean.
(11:05:35 PM) jhawk01b: my bold prediction for the year is that whoever wins the NFC West will have a winning record
shaft.ed
shaft.ed
dem.agogue
shaft.ed
dem.agogue
dem.agogue

Post Post #77 (ISO) » Wed May 06, 2009 4:31 pm

Post by shaft.ed »

SensFan wrote:
shaft.ed wrote:
destructor wrote:

That is all.

V/LA serves an important purpose. People that abuse it aredoing a serious disservice to the game.

If you're not going to be busy, none of the above. Real Life is just that REAL life. If you can't play mafia without lying about your personal situation you're doing it wrong.
charter
charter
Beware of Dog
charter
Beware of Dog
Beware of Dog

Post Post #78 (ISO) » Wed May 06, 2009 4:31 pm

Post by charter »

SensFan wrote:
charter wrote:No it isnt. If I'm going to be on V/LA for a while, then I PM the mod or post in thread. Whenever you PM the mod, they post in the thread that soandso is going to be V/LA so everyone knows.'

Oh, I'm just saying that if someone PM's the mod that they will be V/LA, then the mod isn't interfering with the game by repeating this to the players. Players cant be faulted because they PM'ed the mod V/LA instead of posting it in thread. I'm sure some mod even has rules saying PM everything to them, not to post stuff directed at them in thread. I know it's definately easier to get stuff PM'ed to you when modding.
Goatrevolt
Goatrevolt
Pond Scum
Goatrevolt
Pond Scum
Pond Scum

Post Post #79 (ISO) » Wed May 06, 2009 4:33 pm

Post by Goatrevolt »

charter wrote:
SensFan wrote:

Oh, I'm just saying that if someone PM's the mod that they will be V/LA, then the mod isn't interfering with the game by repeating this to the players. Players cant be faulted because they PM'ed the mod V/LA instead of posting it in thread. I'm sure some mod even has rules saying PM everything to them, not to post stuff directed at them in thread. I know it's definately easier to get stuff PM'ed to you when modding.
Also, you would PM the mod to inform them of a situation that happens during a night phase as well, since you can't post in thread. I'd expect the mod to relay that information on to the players.
SensFan
SensFan
Fortuna Ex Deus
SensFan
Fortuna Ex Deus
Fortuna Ex Deus

Post Post #80 (ISO) » Wed May 06, 2009 4:37 pm

Post by SensFan »

Goatrevolt wrote:
charter wrote:
SensFan wrote:

Also, you would PM the mod to inform them of a situation that happens during a night phase as well, since you can't post in thread. I'd expect the mod to relay that information on to the players.
If either of the above cases are in play, I as a Mod would relay any 'fake' V/LAs I get as well.
SensFan
SensFan
Fortuna Ex Deus
SensFan
Fortuna Ex Deus
Fortuna Ex Deus

Post Post #81 (ISO) » Wed May 06, 2009 4:38 pm

Post by SensFan »

shaft.ed wrote:
SensFan wrote:
shaft.ed wrote:
destructor wrote:

That is all.

If you're not going to be busy, none of the above. Real Life is just that REAL life. If you can't play mafia without lying about your personal situation you're doing it wrong.
We certainly disagree, then.
I do the first and third all the time, and wouldn't fault anyone who does the second.
destructor
destructor
Mafia Scum
destructor
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #82 (ISO) » Wed May 06, 2009 4:39 pm

Post by destructor »

shaft.ed wrote:
destructor wrote:

That is all.

Do you mean the V/LA thread?

What's wrong with just telling your mods?
.::][:::::][:::::][:::::][::.
charter
charter
Beware of Dog
charter
Beware of Dog
Beware of Dog

Post Post #83 (ISO) » Wed May 06, 2009 4:43 pm

Post by charter »

SensFan wrote:
Goatrevolt wrote:
charter wrote:
SensFan wrote:

If either of the above cases are in play, I as a Mod would relay any 'fake' V/LAs I get as well.
Oh yeah, I assume that if you're going to fake a V/LA you aren't going to tell the mod you are faking it.
SensFan
SensFan
Fortuna Ex Deus
SensFan
Fortuna Ex Deus
Fortuna Ex Deus

Post Post #84 (ISO) » Wed May 06, 2009 4:47 pm

Post by SensFan »

Even if I did know, though, I don't think its my place as a Mod to decide not to pass it on to the players.
charter
charter
Beware of Dog
charter
Beware of Dog
Beware of Dog

Post Post #85 (ISO) » Wed May 06, 2009 4:52 pm

Post by charter »

Well, I would probably just tell that person to post it in the thread themselves then.
SensFan
SensFan
Fortuna Ex Deus
SensFan
Fortuna Ex Deus
Fortuna Ex Deus

Post Post #86 (ISO) » Wed May 06, 2009 4:55 pm

Post by SensFan »

If the Mod is only willing to pass on V/LA messages he knows aren't fake, that's unfairly affecting the game.
charter
charter
Beware of Dog
charter
Beware of Dog
Beware of Dog

Post Post #87 (ISO) » Wed May 06, 2009 4:56 pm

Post by charter »

Hmmm, this is true. What do you think you should do then? Just post XXXXX is V/LA from this to then, or just quote what they PMed you or what?
Elmo
Elmo
Mafia Scum
Elmo
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #88 (ISO) » Wed May 06, 2009 5:03 pm

Post by Elmo »

SensFan wrote:Mods who confirm V/LA are interfering in the game, unless they're willing to lie for the players.
At the moment, I would probably confirm someone's V/LA in-thread; that is, if they'd PMed me to that effect. I personally feel that the game happens in-thread, and access issues are outside of the game - as a subset of organising the game, they should be the mod's responsibility, not the players. If people are going to fake V/LA like that, then logically they could simply fake having disappeared from the site, no? That seems optimal to me if you're going to do something like that in the first place. And it's unreasonable to expect the players to have to deal with that, I think.

And while I think it is tactically sound, I also think that no-one
should
fake V/LA, because it makes their own experience of the game less fun. I don't think even the extremes of the "must play to win" contingent would take it that far.
Succinctness is pro-town.

Passion is inversely proportional to the amount of real information available. ~ Gregory Benford
Mirth
Mirth
Congratulations! You are ...
Mirth

Post Post #89 (ISO) » Wed May 06, 2009 5:04 pm

Post by Mirth »

SensFan wrote:
shaft.ed wrote:
destructor wrote:

That is all.

The middle one doesn't count toward the days until prod total, at least in my opinion.

As a mod, I actually don't give a rat's behind how much a player posts as long as I don't have to keep prodding them. (Well, I do actually care, cause I hate lurkers, but I can't penalize people for it.)
destructor
destructor
Mafia Scum
destructor
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #90 (ISO) » Wed May 06, 2009 5:29 pm

Post by destructor »

charter wrote:Hmmm, this is true. What do you think you should do then? Just post XXXXX is V/LA from this to then, or just quote what they PMed you or what?
If a player tells a mod they're V/LA, the mod shouoldn't have to question it. I don't see it as interference for a mod to announce that a player is going to be away.

If players want to fake it, they can risk the town not believing that they "forgot to tell the mod" or something.
Elmo wrote:I personally feel that the game happens in-thread, and access issues are outside of the game - as a subset of organising the game, they should be the mod's responsibility, not the players.
I agree with this lots.
.::][:::::][:::::][:::::][::.
The Central Scrutinizer
The Central Scrutinizer
Mafia Scum
The Central Scrutinizer
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #91 (ISO) » Wed May 06, 2009 7:03 pm

Post by The Central Scrutinizer »

Xylthixlm wrote:If faking V/LA was actually not tactically sound, nobody would care about the ethics.
QFT
"You might very well think that; I couldn't
possibly
comment."
Adel
Adel
Crystalline Logick
Adel
Crystalline Logick
Crystalline Logick

Post Post #92 (ISO) » Wed May 06, 2009 9:20 pm

Post by Adel »

Adel's V/LA Tactica

V/LA

What it is:
Claiming to be away without access and unable to access MafiaScum. Also includes claims of having restricted or limited access (parents are cracking down, homework, WebSense, swine flu, posting from smartphone). Used to explain and excuse past, present and future absences.

How to do it:
Do one of any of the following: post it in the V/LA thread, your sig line, a game thread, a new topic in MD or GD, PM one of your mod, PM some or all of your mods, post it games you are running. Have someone from facebook or IRC or AIM or your highschool or your dog do any or all of the above.

How to lynch someone doing it:
Find evidence that the person who claimed "V/LA" has demonstrated online activity that contradicts their V/LA claim. Present it to the other players once you have several examples, along with all other indications of scummyness in a single accurate, concise, and persuasive post: your vote post. Attempt to use 500 to 750 words. Organize your evidence cleanly, and repeat your thesis at the top and the bottom of your post. Do not post a "rough draft". Do not publish a vote post you do not have a reasonable expectation of being convincing. Reply to every post that references yours; keep the total number of words in each of your reply posts to less than 500 words. Restate your thesis in each reply post, and directly describe how your reply is linked to your thesis. Collect the information on other players that will enable you to invade the privacy of other players and cyberstalk them -- alts really help with this. All informational advantages assist success.

How to get away with it:
Only play in one game at a time. Keep your online status hidden. Keep a firewall between your MS identity and the rest of your online identity. Don't let other players have your AIM or gmail account or facebook account or any other form of social internet identity that they could use to confirm your presence on-line. Practice strict online social discipline and stay hidden everywhere so that other players can "confirm" that you really haven't been on the internet. Fake your RL death & have your "Mom" post a link to the town newspaper article that describes your death or obituary. Stay off of your computer.

you're welcome.

damn, I really need an editor.
Last edited by Adel on Wed May 06, 2009 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ortolan
ortolan
Mafia Scum
ortolan
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #93 (ISO) » Wed May 06, 2009 9:58 pm

Post by ortolan »

Here Adel effectively demonstrates the slippery slope that is fake V/LA claims. Don't do it, kids.
Currently modding Mole Mafia: http://www.mafiascum.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=20529

Feel free to PM me to be ready in case I need a replacement.
Adel
Adel
Crystalline Logick
Adel
Crystalline Logick
Crystalline Logick

Post Post #94 (ISO) » Wed May 06, 2009 10:01 pm

Post by Adel »

ortolan wrote:Here Adel effectively demonstrates the slippery slope that is fake V/LA claims. Don't do it, kids.
It already happens.

The effective counter:
LAV/LA

Lynch everyone that claims
V/LA

;)
PokerFace
PokerFace
Too Useful
PokerFace
Too Useful
Too Useful

Post Post #95 (ISO) » Thu May 07, 2009 12:15 am

Post by PokerFace »

shaft.ed wrote:
PokerFace wrote:I would rather Win a game as a manipulative Bad Ass or White Knight

Then win a game as a Lieing Prick or Desperate Cheap Skate
I think this makes more sense as one sentence...
I thought that would look more dramatic
When I joined this site, I was a software tester for mobile business applications and the song PokerFace was not yet written by Lady Gaga
Now I test lottery and gambling software as my job. It's funny how my life has turned out. Somewhere a Time Traveler is laughing madly
ortolan
ortolan
Mafia Scum
ortolan
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #96 (ISO) » Thu May 07, 2009 12:40 am

Post by ortolan »

he was more referring to the fact you typoed/misspellt than as then :)
Currently modding Mole Mafia: http://www.mafiascum.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=20529

Feel free to PM me to be ready in case I need a replacement.
SensFan
SensFan
Fortuna Ex Deus
SensFan
Fortuna Ex Deus
Fortuna Ex Deus

Post Post #97 (ISO) » Thu May 07, 2009 1:42 am

Post by SensFan »

destructor wrote:
charter wrote:Hmmm, this is true. What do you think you should do then? Just post XXXXX is V/LA from this to then, or just quote what they PMed you or what?
If a player tells a mod they're V/LA, the mod shouoldn't have to question it. I don't see it as interference for a mod to announce that a player is going to be away.

If players want to fake it, they can risk the town not believing that they "forgot to tell the mod" or something.
I still think that's interfering in the game when you shouldn't be. That's just like saying if Scum wants to fakeclaim, they need to explain that the Mod forgot to give them the Town wincon, since they don't know it.
PokerFace
PokerFace
Too Useful
PokerFace
Too Useful
Too Useful

Post Post #98 (ISO) » Thu May 07, 2009 2:02 am

Post by PokerFace »

ortolan wrote:he was more referring to the fact you typoed/misspellt than as then :)
Looked more dramatic that way. What? You never seen something spelled wrong for dramatic effect? Toys R' Us. I suppose it does kinda change the context but you all should have goten the point.

I would rather win a game as a Manipulative Bad Ass or White Knight than win a game as a Lieing Prick or Desperate Cheap Skate
When I joined this site, I was a software tester for mobile business applications and the song PokerFace was not yet written by Lady Gaga
Now I test lottery and gambling software as my job. It's funny how my life has turned out. Somewhere a Time Traveler is laughing madly
ortolan
ortolan
Mafia Scum
ortolan
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #99 (ISO) » Thu May 07, 2009 2:06 am

Post by ortolan »

PokerFace might have wrote:I would rather win a game as a Manipulative Bad Ass or White Knight then win a game as a Lieing Prick or Desperate Cheap Skate

Return to “Mafia Discussion”