Mini 737 - Hack Poetry Mafia (Game Over)

fhqwhgads
fhqwhgads
Goon
fhqwhgads
Goon
Goon

Post Post #50 (ISO) » Mon Feb 02, 2009 7:37 am

Post by fhqwhgads »

At last, the rhymes done,
but it certainly was fun...

Seriously though,
the biggest thing for me so far is budja's third vote. Well, he got tongues wagging, but now you gotta follow through buddy.
Ice9 wrote:I do find it interesting that Red Coyote is trying to cover for him.
I think this is a bit of a reach.
Avoiding votes by means of the spelling of my name.
TonyMontana
TonyMontana
Mafia Scum
TonyMontana
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #51 (ISO) » Mon Feb 02, 2009 9:08 am

Post by TonyMontana »

Vote Count

Spirits high, the mood was good
And people rhymed the best they could
But while the rhymes are fun
In syllables and puns
The town awaken, seemed to see
No poetry is taken seriously

Budja
(2) RedCoyote, don_johnson
springlullaby
(2) magisterrain, Goatrevolt
WolfBlitzer
(2) Ice9, Budja
don_johnson
(1) Azhrei
fhqwhgads
(1) Spolium
Goatrevolt
(1) Lynx The Antithesis
magisterrain
(1) WolfBlitzer
RedCoyote
(1) fhqwhgads

With 12 alive, it takes 7 to lynch
Upcoming
Mini
Theme: Rainbow Six|Siege Mafia
Lynx The Antithesis
Lynx The Antithesis
Goon
Lynx The Antithesis
Goon
Goon

Post Post #52 (ISO) » Mon Feb 02, 2009 9:24 am

Post by Lynx The Antithesis »

What I don't like about the Budja vote is the fact that he said Wolf's vote was a joke, but joined Ice's wagon which was based on serious suspicion. I don't mind pressure votes or bandwagons to get the discussion flowing. However one done in this manner is unproductive. He basically goes against Ice's whole reason for his vote, and simply joins the wagon anyway. Then later tossing in the "spark discussion" doesn't help his case either.
If you got it flaunt it.
-Judas Iscariot
Budja
Budja
Mafia Scum
Budja
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #53 (ISO) » Mon Feb 02, 2009 6:54 pm

Post by Budja »

I didn't realise Ice was being serious on his suspicion, maybe more serious than a complete random vote but not much. It was page 2!

I am definitely not trying to piggyback on his suspicions. My third vote was a push to escape the random stage. It was badly done, I'll admit and my choice of words were influenced by trying to make it rhyme.
Azhrei
Azhrei
Goon
Azhrei
Goon
Goon

Post Post #54 (ISO) » Mon Feb 02, 2009 7:06 pm

Post by Azhrei »

Lynx The Antithesis wrote:I was thinking about replacing out with all of these rhyme schemes(I feel like I'm back in 12th grade English). It's gonna be nearly impossible to keep up with and
people can justify slips up by saying that they needed to preserve rhyme.

I don't mind the rhyme once in awhile, but this way is just over-kill. I think we should just play normally with the ocasional flavor thrown in to the mix.
Heh, it's just happened.

Budja, I'm finding you a bit suss as well.
"He was cooler than Samuel L. Jackson on dope" - Raccon
RedCoyote
RedCoyote
Jack of All Trades
RedCoyote
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #55 (ISO) » Mon Feb 02, 2009 9:28 pm

Post by RedCoyote »

Budja wrote:I didn't realise Ice was being serious on his suspicion, maybe more serious than a complete random vote but not much. It was page 2!

I am definitely not trying to piggyback on his suspicions. My third vote was a push to escape the random stage. It was badly done, I'll admit and my choice of words were influenced by trying to make it rhyme.
Budja, to me it seemed like a piggyback, but if you want to clarify your
individual
suspicions on Wolf then I am of course willing to hear what you have to say.
Goatrevolt
Goatrevolt
Pond Scum
Goatrevolt
Pond Scum
Pond Scum

Post Post #56 (ISO) » Mon Feb 02, 2009 9:39 pm

Post by Goatrevolt »

I don't see how Budja was piggybacking off of Ice. It looks like they voted for entirely different reasons. Clarification?

I'll buy Budja's explanation that he was trying to segue out of the random phase. It seems consistent, and he mentioned that when he dropped the vote. Trying to make a move out of the random phase is pro-town, however I'm a bit iffy on the manner he went about it. The things I'm suspicious of are:

1. That he voted a target in expectation of
later
seeing scum tells rather than based off of something he thought was scummy.
2. When I questioned him on 1, he responded that he was just trying to spark discussion, which is completely different reasoning than above.

So, Budja: What kind of later scumtells did you expect to see, and why would you vote for someone expecting to later see them do something scummy. Again, isn't that a bit backwards? Secondly, what kind of discussion did you anticipate your vote would spark?
Goatrevolt
Goatrevolt
Pond Scum
Goatrevolt
Pond Scum
Pond Scum

Post Post #57 (ISO) » Mon Feb 02, 2009 9:41 pm

Post by Goatrevolt »

Furthermore: Isn't a bit counterproductive to tell someone you're voting them just create a bandwagon and that you have no legitimate suspicions of them? If the point of bandwagoning like that is to gauge a response to pressure, why would you tell them your vote has no real pressure?
Spolium
Spolium
Goon
Spolium
Goon
Goon

Post Post #58 (ISO) » Mon Feb 02, 2009 11:55 pm

Post by Spolium »

Goatrevolt wrote:The things I'm suspicious of are:

1. That he voted a target in expectation of later seeing scum tells rather than based off of something he thought was scummy.
2. When I questioned him on 1, he responded that he was just trying to spark discussion, which is completely different reasoning than above.
I really don't see this big difference you keep talking about. If there's more discussion taking place then there's more opportunity for scum to slip up, so prompting discussion is more likely to lead to a scumtell than not doing so (as you said yourself, drawing town out of the random phase is essentially pro-town).

The only thing which really bothered me was the fact that Budja's announcement of his intentions was indeed counter-productive, and despite this move being anti-town it doesn't exactly follow that it was a
scummy
move. Frankly, I'd expect scum to take more care in avoiding this.
Goatrevolt wrote:Secondly, what kind of discussion did you anticipate your vote would spark?
I'm not sure that this is a fair question. When trying to provoke discussion, it's impossible to determine exactly
what
sort of discussion is going to arise (particularly so in a game where everyone is second-guessing themselves/others, and scum are waiting to pounce on any careless townie).

In order to answer your question, Budja would have to blindly speculate about what
might
arise from a provocative vote, and such speculation would be easy to criticise. I mean, what answer could Budja give you here which you would even accept as valid?
Goatrevolt
Goatrevolt
Pond Scum
Goatrevolt
Pond Scum
Pond Scum

Post Post #59 (ISO) » Tue Feb 03, 2009 1:21 am

Post by Goatrevolt »

Spolium wrote:I really don't see this big difference you keep talking about. If there's more discussion taking place then there's more opportunity for scum to slip up, so prompting discussion is more likely to lead to a scumtell than not doing so (as you said yourself, drawing town out of the random phase is essentially pro-town).
This depends entirely on the type of discussion. Discussion of the wrong things can actually harm scum hunting. For example, have you ever seen two townies go at it with each other for 3 pages over minor things? I would argue that isn't helpful discussion. All it does is muddy the waters and make it difficult to pick out who the real scum are.

Anyway, to answer your question, I do feel there is a difference in his two answers. His original reasons were to create a situation where Wolf might provide some scumtells. Later on he mentions that it was to spark discussion. Sparking discussion can mean any number of things, including but not limited to Wolf providing those scumtells. So, in essence, he broadened his reasoning from the specific: "getting Wolf to screw up" to the more general: "generating discussion."

So, to be more specific on my reasoning:

"That he voted a target in expectation of later seeing scum tells rather than based off of something he thought was scummy.
" To go with what I said above, I think this can generate the wrong kind of discussion. Sure, it might generate discussion, but I don't think we'll be any closer to catching scum if everyone votes like this.

"When I questioned him on 1, he responded that he was just trying to spark discussion, which is completely different reasoning than above."
His original reasons were specific: To pressure wolf into making scumtells. When I asked him about that, he backed off into the more general: "just trying to spark discussion." To me, that rings of him knowing his original reasons were bogus and so he fell back to "trying to generate discussion" which has the connotation of being a pro-town play. In reality, generating discussion is only pro-town if the discussion has any useful merits in catching scum. So while getting out of the random phase is pro-town, getting out of the random phase via discussion that is unlikely to actually lead to catching scum isn't so much.
Spolium wrote:The only thing which really bothered me was the fact that Budja's announcement of his intentions was indeed counter-productive, and despite this move being anti-town it doesn't exactly follow that it was a
scummy
move.
I agree. Announcing intentions isn't helpful, but it's not necessarily scummy
Spolium wrote:Frankly, I'd expect scum to take more care in avoiding this.
Why, exactly?
Spolium wrote:
Goatrevolt wrote:Secondly, what kind of discussion did you anticipate your vote would spark?
I'm not sure that this is a fair question. When trying to provoke discussion, it's impossible to determine exactly
what
sort of discussion is going to arise (particularly so in a game where everyone is second-guessing themselves/others, and scum are waiting to pounce on any careless townie).

In order to answer your question, Budja would have to blindly speculate about what
might
arise from a provocative vote, and such speculation would be easy to criticise. I mean, what answer could Budja give you here which you would even accept as valid?
Basically, he voted Wolf, admitted Wolf hadn't done anything wrong, and then said that his vote was specifically to get out of the random phase. By explaining the motivation behind why he did everything and admitting his vote wasn't based on anything, I feel like he shut off meaningful responses. I wanted to know what meaningful responses could even be possibly generated from such a vote. My question was basically a "what did you expect to gain from your actions" kind of question. While he certainly can't predict exactly how people are going to respond to it, I would expect he at least has some general idea of how it could be helpful to the town.
Budja
Budja
Mafia Scum
Budja
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #60 (ISO) » Tue Feb 03, 2009 1:59 am

Post by Budja »

Goatrevolt wrote:"That he voted a target in expectation of later seeing scum tells rather than based off of something he thought was scummy."
I don't see anything wrong with this, this is no worse than a random vote. The fault I made was to declare the vote was pretty meaningless. People's responses when votes are placed on them are a large part (IMO) of finding scumtells.

I disagree with you on this point. My fault was not my action but the fact I openly displayed my reason. Saying a vote is for pressure reduces the pressure and makes the vote meaningless,
that was poor playing I did there
, I will admit that.

Sparking discussion and seeking scumtells are not fundamentally different reasons and I did have both in mind.
Spolium
Spolium
Goon
Spolium
Goon
Goon

Post Post #61 (ISO) » Tue Feb 03, 2009 3:28 am

Post by Spolium »

Goatrevolt wrote:This depends entirely on the type of discussion. Discussion of the wrong things can actually harm scum hunting. For example, have you ever seen two townies go at it with each other for 3 pages over minor things? I would argue that isn't helpful discussion. All it does is muddy the waters and make it difficult to pick out who the real scum are.
I agree totally.
Goatrevolt wrote:So, to be more specific on my reasoning:

"That he voted a target in expectation of later seeing scum tells rather than based off of something he thought was scummy.
" To go with what I said above, I think this can generate the wrong kind of discussion. Sure, it might generate discussion, but I don't think we'll be any closer to catching scum if everyone votes like this.
But since he was called out before the discussion had a chance to start, it's impossible to know what the nature of the resulting discussion would have been. How can you judge the usefulness of a discussion which never took place?
Goatrevolt wrote:2.
"When I questioned him on 1, he responded that he was just trying to spark discussion, which is completely different reasoning than above."
His original reasons were specific: To pressure wolf into making scumtells. When I asked him about that, he backed off into the more general: "just trying to spark discussion." To me, that rings of him knowing his original reasons were bogus and so he fell back to "trying to generate discussion" which has the connotation of being a pro-town play.
The broader explanation doesn't exactly contradict the more specific one, either.

Don't get me wrong - I'd like to see a fuller explanation from Budja too. I'm just aware of the fact that he made plays like this as a townie in another game; he seemed to be wishy-washy and vague, was the prime suspect for an entire day, came ridiculously close to a lynching and ended up being the guy who zeroed in on the scum.
Goatrevolt wrote:
Spolium wrote:Frankly, I'd expect scum to take more care in avoiding this.
Why, exactly?
Because in my experience scum take care to avoid appearing anti-town.
Goatrevolt wrote:
Spolium wrote: In order to answer your question, Budja would have to blindly speculate about what
might
Basically, he voted Wolf, admitted Wolf hadn't done anything wrong, and then said that his vote was specifically to get out of the random phase. By explaining the motivation behind why he did everything and admitting his vote wasn't based on anything,
I feel like he shut off meaningful responses. I wanted to know what meaningful responses could even be possibly generated from such a vote. My question was basically a "what did you expect to gain from your actions" kind of question.
While he certainly can't predict exactly how people are going to respond to it, I would expect he at least has some general idea of how it could be helpful to the town.
I see where you're coming from, but I'm getting mixed messages from the emphasised part. Since it is true that he "shut off meaningful responses" by revealing his motives, how could he possibly validate what he did?

This doesn't excuse the fact that his vote explanation was self-defeating, but despite this enquiry amounting to a rhetorical question you're expecting him to answer regardless.
don_johnson
don_johnson
Jack of All Trades
don_johnson
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #62 (ISO) » Tue Feb 03, 2009 8:18 am

Post by don_johnson »

Budja wrote:
Goatrevolt wrote:"That he voted a target in expectation of later seeing scum tells rather than based off of something he thought was scummy."
I don't see anything wrong with this, this is no worse than a random vote. The fault I made was to declare the vote was pretty meaningless.
the problem is that you were trying to take us out of the random stage with a vote that was "no worse than a random vote" and "meaningless". this is counterproductive. i have employed similar tactics as town before, so this is not necessarily a scum tell. what ends up happening is that if your target eventually does slip up, your accusations have little credibility due to the fact that other players will see it as the pot calling the kettle black.

as for the vote and its "self defeating" explanation, i am not sure i agree with spolium and goat. a vote carries with it an inherent "ability to lynch". saying a vote is a "pressure" vote does not defeat the purpose. the vote carries pressure until said player unvotes, as we have no way of knowing if it is scum or town placing the initial vote. i.e. scum
and
town can easily place a pressure vote and go v/la, "forget" to remove it, and contribute to a lynch. scum can do so intentionally and hide behind this excuse.

unvote
town 39-32
mafia 17-9
sk 0-6
Goatrevolt
Goatrevolt
Pond Scum
Goatrevolt
Pond Scum
Pond Scum

Post Post #63 (ISO) » Tue Feb 03, 2009 1:22 pm

Post by Goatrevolt »

Budja wrote:
I don't see anything wrong with this, this is no worse than a random vote.
Yes, but random votes aren't also dressed up and used as pressure votes.
Spolium wrote:But since he was called out before the discussion had a chance to start, it's impossible to know what the nature of the resulting discussion would have been. How can you judge the usefulness of a discussion which never took place?
Obviously, I have no way of knowing what could possibly result. However, I will say that anything useful that would come of that discussion is not going to come from the pressure of the vote itself. In other words, a vote on someone that isn't based on any perceived existing scumtells is not going to generate any useful information.

For example: I vote you and say "I don't think you've done anything scummy, but I'm just voting you to see if you react in a scummy manner to the pressure." Your response is going to be "there is no pressure on me, I have nothing to react to." There's no useful discussion there. The only useful discussion that could possibly arise is people attacking me for using poor reasoning to place votes, etc. (basically the type of discussion that we're seeing here). On the other hand, if I attack you and say "I don't like the way you went about doing X. I think the way you did it is scummy" then you can respond in a variety of ways that tells us something about you: "That's BS, you're scum for pushing that" or "No, it's not scummy because of Y" or "You're right, my bad" etc.
Spolium wrote:The broader explanation doesn't exactly contradict the more specific one, either.
It doesn't contradict it, no. However, instead of addressing the specific reasoning, he immediately defaulted back to the broader one. My issue entirely stems from the fact that he didn't even make a move to defend his stated reasons for the vote and immediately went for the more broader reasoning (and reasoning that I don't consider to be inherently pro-town. That's why I want to know what kind of discussion he wanted to generate, because I don't think discussion itself is inherently pro-town).
Spolium wrote:I see where you're coming from, but I'm getting mixed messages from the emphasised part. Since it is true that he "shut off meaningful responses" by revealing his motives, how could he possibly validate what he did?
He really can't validate it. However, he can give reasons why he thought it was a good play in the first place, etc. which is ultimately more important. The mindset behind why people do things is more important than what they actually do. Hence why I wanted to know "what did you think your actions would achieve." Or in other words "What is the pro-town mindset behind doing this?"
RedCoyote
RedCoyote
Jack of All Trades
RedCoyote
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #64 (ISO) » Tue Feb 03, 2009 7:31 pm

Post by RedCoyote »

Budja 32 wrote:I cannot pretend
that I want the random voting stage to soon end.
Budja 53 wrote:My third vote was a push to escape the random stage.
To me, this is contradictory. I don't know, Budja seems like he's sincere in explaining he misworded his comments but I have to admit I am still comfortable on him for now.

Another example:
Budja 53 wrote:I didn't realise Ice was being serious on his suspicion
Ice9 30 wrote:I have to assume [Wolf was] for real, not for play
And the only recourse is for
my vote to stay

In random vote stage
I can only assume
[Wolf was] grasping at straws
when you sang that tune

To everyone else, a wagon we need
My words are what you surely should heed
WolfBlitzer is trying to deflect what I've said
So I say to you all, "Off with [Wolf's] head!"
(emphasis added)

Again, it's arguable either way really... but something tells me Budja saw an opportunity to be the infamous 3rd vote, putting Wolf at L-2, while saving himself an out for later by claiming, "Oh, lol, thought it was still random ;) ;) ;)".

---
Goat 56 wrote: don't see how Budja was piggybacking off of Ice. It looks like they voted for entirely different reasons. Clarification?
First of all, I'm not so easily buying Budja's explanation, just to let you know we differ on that point as well.

Second, to clarify my allegation,
Ice9 30 wrote:To everyone else, a wagon we need
My words are what you surely should heed
WolfBlitzer is trying to deflect what I've said
So I say to you all, "Off with his head!"
Budja 32 wrote:So I will join your bandwagon here
in the hope that some scummy signs do soon appear.
What's more, one could make the argument that Budja didn't even necessarily find the comment that Ice9 is upset about all that scummy when he said,
Budja 32 wrote:Wolf's statement seems to be a joke,
cast in the spirit of a random vote.
So his vote was, unless someone can show me otherwise, almost entirely put up based on the fact that Ice9 had requested it. I don't see anything in post 32 that indicates that Budja had unique suspicions of Wolf that Ice9 didn't.
Goat 57 wrote:Isn't a bit counterproductive to tell someone you're voting them just create a bandwagon and that you have no legitimate suspicions of them? If the point of bandwagoning like that is to gauge a response to pressure, why would you tell them your vote has no real pressure?
This is exactly my point. This is the claim Budja has made for voting Wolf (which, to his credit, he regrets doing), but I personally don't think it's good enough.

---

In any case, I agree with Budja in post 60, but just recognizing a questionable move after the fact might not be enough.
Lynx The Antithesis
Lynx The Antithesis
Goon
Lynx The Antithesis
Goon
Goon

Post Post #65 (ISO) » Tue Feb 03, 2009 7:58 pm

Post by Lynx The Antithesis »

I find it to be just a poorly placed vote in the first place. Like others have stated, pressure votes are basically cancelled out after making them out to be meaningless when you apply it. You can't side with the person then vote for them. Something which he did by saying he interpretted Wolf's vote as a joke. So there was really nothing at all to be gotten from Wolf. Considering that there's no reason to feel any pressure from a baseless vote.

This was something to push the town out of the joking random phase(which it pretty much did). I believe his spark discussion and pushing us out of the random phase defenses are one in the same and not contradictory. All in all I just think it was just a bad move.

Another thing is that I agree that asking him to tell what he expected to gain from such a move is hard to accomplish. There's no way to gauge what could have happened and we must keep in mind that he was cut off before anything could happen.

I'm gonna
Unvote
while I'm at it as well.
If you got it flaunt it.
-Judas Iscariot
Goatrevolt
Goatrevolt
Pond Scum
Goatrevolt
Pond Scum
Pond Scum

Post Post #66 (ISO) » Wed Feb 04, 2009 4:04 am

Post by Goatrevolt »

RedCoyote wrote:Again, it's arguable either way really... but something tells me Budja saw an opportunity to be the infamous 3rd vote, putting Wolf at L-2, while saving himself an out for later by claiming, "Oh, lol, thought it was still random ;) ;) ;)".
I don't see how he could possibly make this claim, considering he stated (more or less) when he voted that it wasn't random.

I'll take that back. He could
possibly
make this claim, but I'd assume we'd just lynch him immediately afterward for blatantly lying.
RedCoyote wrote:What's more, one could make the argument that Budja didn't even necessarily find the comment that Ice9 is upset about all that scummy when he said,
Budja 32 wrote:Wolf's statement seems to be a joke,
cast in the spirit of a random vote.
That's why I was confused about your claim that Budja was piggybacking off of Ice's suspicion, considering Budja didn't even vote for the same reasons. I think the difference was our definitions of piggybacking. You were using piggybacking as hopping on the same target, whereas I took it to mean hopping on the same reasoning.

At any rate, why is piggybacking (under either definition) scummy?

------

I'm going to keep/upgrade my random vote on Springlullaby, because I know she's posting in other games, but she's avoided this one. I feel like I'm getting bogged down in the minor details with Budja. I need to step back and assess the big picture and see if his actions really make him likely to be scum or not.
fhqwhgads
fhqwhgads
Goon
fhqwhgads
Goon
Goon

Post Post #67 (ISO) » Wed Feb 04, 2009 11:45 am

Post by fhqwhgads »

I'm mostly with RC here (damn, again?! How do you do it? ;) )

I am however, willing to accept Budja's retraction. I just get this funny feeling that he's being the scapegoat here...

...speaking of which, if he IS the scapegoat, I find it interesting that Goatrevolt is pushing him the hardest. It by no means is a scumtell, but if Budja just made a mistake (and taking Spolium's word for it, not for the first time), your case on him can be used as a misdirection by scum.

I think the ones we should be looking at, are the lurkers. If we are just townies fighting among ourselves, the ones winning is scum lurking and waiting for us to string up one of our own.
Avoiding votes by means of the spelling of my name.
TonyMontana
TonyMontana
Mafia Scum
TonyMontana
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #68 (ISO) » Wed Feb 04, 2009 11:49 am

Post by TonyMontana »

The reaper is grim, but so is the mod
And after a skim, I can see we need prods
magisterrain, the thread has been callin
wolfblitzer, reply, or your heads will be rollin
Upcoming
Mini
Theme: Rainbow Six|Siege Mafia
Goatrevolt
Goatrevolt
Pond Scum
Goatrevolt
Pond Scum
Pond Scum

Post Post #69 (ISO) » Wed Feb 04, 2009 12:14 pm

Post by Goatrevolt »

fhqwhgads wrote:...speaking of which, if he IS the scapegoat, I find it interesting that Goatrevolt is pushing him the hardest. It by no means is a scumtell, but if Budja just made a mistake (and taking Spolium's word for it, not for the first time), your case on him can be used as a misdirection by scum.

I think the ones we should be looking at, are the lurkers. If we are just townies fighting among ourselves, the ones winning is scum lurking and waiting for us to string up one of our own.
Unvote, Vote fhqwhgads

1. I don't like the implications of your first paragraph. You seem to be saying that pressuring mistakes is a bad thing because it could possibly result in a mislynch or misdirection. Sure it could. It could also possibly result in catching and lynching scum. I don't like how you attempt to shut down scum hunting because of the possibility for error.

2. How do you know "we are just townies fighting among ourselves?"
Ice9
Ice9
Townie
Ice9
Townie
Townie

Post Post #70 (ISO) » Wed Feb 04, 2009 12:21 pm

Post by Ice9 »

WolfBlitzer's prolonged absence in the face of my suspicion is mighty convenient for him. He seems to have dropped off of everybody's radar altogether.

---
fhqwhgads wrote:
Ice9 wrote:I do find it interesting that Red Coyote is trying to cover for him.
I think this is a bit of a reach.
And I think that's an easy way to try and smear me without explaining your thought process whatsoever.

---
Lynx The Antithesis wrote:He basically goes against Ice's whole reason for his vote, and simply joins the wagon anyway. Then later tossing in the "spark discussion" doesn't help his case either.
This pretty well sums up the issues people seem to have with budja for his vote, which I agree with.

---
budja wrote:I didn't realise Ice was being serious on his suspicion, maybe more serious than a complete random vote but not much. It was page 2!
It was page 2! is not a valid excuse. Is there an arbitrary number of pages that have to be produced before votes can be considered serious? If so, I didn't get the memo.

---
Spolium wrote:
Goatrevolt wrote:The things I'm suspicious of are:

1. That he voted a target in expectation of later seeing scum tells rather than based off of something he thought was scummy.
I really don't see this big difference you keep talking about. If there's more discussion taking place then there's more opportunity for scum to slip up, so prompting discussion is more likely to lead to a scumtell than not doing so (as you said yourself, drawing town out of the random phase is essentially pro-town).

The only thing which really bothered me was the fact that Budja's announcement of his intentions was indeed counter-productive, and despite this move being anti-town it doesn't exactly follow that it was a
scummy
move. Frankly, I'd expect scum to take more care in avoiding this.
Holy alarm bells, Batman! Why are you trying to minimize damage for budja? Both of you are labeling what he claims to have been trying to do ("move us out of the random stage") as generically pro-town, which is a silly idea in the first place because if that is always considered pro-town then the scum will just
do that
to get brownie points, but at least goat broke down the flaws in budja's actions and pointed out the possible scum motivation for them. You just blandly agree with the assessment that trying to end the random stage is pro-town while trying to get goat to drop the rest of his argument. And then you go on about how budja is being anti-town but not scummy... uh, what? Could there be a more perfect way to try and get your scumbuddy off the hook? And the last line is just a WIFOM mess. You're saying budja can't be scum because scum wouldn't be so sloppy. Yeah right.
Spolium wrote:
what

might
And you just keep going on the budja cover-up, fielding a question for him by means of trying to get it disqualified. What you've essentially said here is that budja can't answer this question without implicating himself, so he shouldn't answer it at all.

FoS: Spolium

---
Goatrevolt wrote:When I asked him about that, he backed off into the more general: "just trying to spark discussion." To me, that rings of him knowing his original reasons were bogus and so he fell back to "trying to generate discussion" which has the connotation of being a pro-town play.
These were my thoughts almost exactly as I read through the same section.

---
Budja wrote:
I don't see anything wrong with this, this is no worse than a random vote. The fault I made was to declare the vote was pretty meaningless. People's responses when votes are placed on them are a large part (IMO) of finding scumtells.

I disagree with you on this point. My fault was not my action but the fact I openly displayed my reason. Saying a vote is for pressure reduces the pressure and makes the vote meaningless,
that was poor playing I did there
, I will admit that.

Sparking discussion and seeking scumtells are not fundamentally different reasons and I did have both in mind.
This is just a big pile of lame excuses. You were playing poorly, so we're expected to just let you off the hook?

---
Spolium wrote:Don't get me wrong - I'd like to see a fuller explanation from Budja too. I'm just aware of the fact that he made plays like this as a townie in another game; he seemed to be wishy-washy and vague, was the prime suspect for an entire day, came ridiculously close to a lynching and ended up being the guy who zeroed in on the scum.
So what you're trying to tell me is that budja looks scummy but he's actually secretly the best player we have so we shouldn't lynch him. Well, at least you're getting creative in your protection now. :roll:

---
Goatrevolt wrote:I'm going to keep/upgrade my random vote on Springlullaby, because I know she's posting in other games, but she's avoided this one. I feel like I'm getting bogged down in the minor details with Budja. I need to step back and assess the big picture and see if his actions really make him likely to be scum or not.
Your hesitance to pull the trigger on your, in my opinion, well thought out and presented Budja case has me a bit confused. After all the effort you went through, debating with Budja and Spolium, you'd really rather go on a lurker hunt? Am I missing something here?

---

Preview Window Edit: I agree with everything Goat just said in regards to fhq.

FoS: fhqwhgads

---

Unvote, Vote: Budja
Goatrevolt
Goatrevolt
Pond Scum
Goatrevolt
Pond Scum
Pond Scum

Post Post #71 (ISO) » Wed Feb 04, 2009 12:58 pm

Post by Goatrevolt »

Ice9 wrote:Your hesitance to pull the trigger on your, in my opinion, well thought out and presented Budja case has me a bit confused. After all the effort you went through, debating with Budja and Spolium, you'd really rather go on a lurker hunt? Am I missing something here?
I should have voted him originally, to add some pressure to my case. At this point, I'm no longer sure if I'm even on the right track, or just suffering from tunnelvision. I need to step back and reassess.

As for springlullaby, I've played with her where she was scum, and she tended to lurk through some of the more critical periods of the game. Considering she's posting in other games, but hasn't posted here during that same period, I'm suspicious.
RedCoyote
RedCoyote
Jack of All Trades
RedCoyote
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #72 (ISO) » Wed Feb 04, 2009 7:41 pm

Post by RedCoyote »

Goat 66 wrote:considering he stated (more or less) when he voted that it wasn't random.
Budja 32 wrote:I cannot pretend
that I want the random voting stage to soon end.
You don't think this could've been construed to say that he was still voting at random? I agree that indeed it wasn't a random vote, I'm just saying I think it's funny for him to make this comment. He's essentially saying he wants the random voting stage to keep going despite his vote not being random.
Goat 66 wrote:You were using piggybacking as hopping on the same target, whereas I took it to mean hopping on the same reasoning.
Well, I have the same definition as you, I think I'm just looking at it differently. I didn't explain myself very well:

I don't see any reasoning at all in Budja's vote, and because he posts right after Ice9 (obviously having read Ice9's post and subsequently agreeing with it because he uses the same terminology Ice9 used), I can only assume that his lack of reasoning meant to imply that he both accepted Ice9's vote
and
reasoning as his own. I just assign him that position by default since he hasn't given me acceptable, independent reasoning for the vote.

Of course, if you accept the idea that he was voting purely out of pressuring Wolf, then piggybacking would indeed be the wrong word; I do not accept that reason.

The biggest reason why piggybacking is a bad thing is that if townies do it they aren't giving enough of their own opinions and it gives us less to critque them on, if scum do it gives them an opportunity to "blend in" with the crowd without sticking out because if they agree with one arguement, bad or good, other townies are more reluctant to push two people than one. It's definitely always a scummy thing to not give yourself an individual presence in the game.

---
fhq 67 wrote:I'm mostly with RC here (damn, again?! How do you do it? ;) )
But it's okay this time because I'm really a townie! Honest! :)
fhq 67 wrote:I am however, willing to accept Budja's retraction. I just get this funny feeling that he's being the scapegoat here...
I have to admit I agree with Ice9 and Goat's suspicions of you, but for me this statement is worse than the rest of the post.

You're making a very vauge accusation against multiple people and you end it with the ever-hated ellipses. You're essentially saying "ya, budja sounds bad but what if he's good and u are bad..................".

---

I very much like Ice9's post 70, and I agree with Goat that Spring needs to get back to this game (about how long before we should start asking for a
prod
?)
Spolium
Spolium
Goon
Spolium
Goon
Goon

Post Post #73 (ISO) » Thu Feb 05, 2009 2:21 am

Post by Spolium »

Ice9 wrote:Holy alarm bells, Batman!
Why are you trying to minimize damage for budja?
Both of you are labeling what he claims to have been trying to do ("move us out of the random stage") as generically pro-town, which is a silly idea in the first place because if that is always considered pro-town then the scum will just
do that
to get brownie points
Getting out of the random stage IS generically pro-town, regardless of whether scum initiate it. That doesn't mean that Budja (or anyone who does this) is off the hook - it means that even if it's handled poorly I still view it as a step in the right direction.

Ice9 wrote:but at least goat broke down the flaws in budja's actions and pointed out the possible scum motivation for them. You just blandly agree with the assessment that trying to end the random stage is pro-town while
trying to get goat to drop the rest of his argument.
I didn't think that it was a terribly productive way to ascertain the reasoning behind Budja's actions, for reasons which I've stated already.

As it stands, I don't think Goat should drop his argument and I better understand his reasoning following our exchange. I
do
think it would have been better to see where Budja went for a little while before jumping on him.

Ice9 wrote:And then you go on about how budja is being anti-town but not scummy... uh, what?
Could there be a more perfect way to try and get your scumbuddy off the hook? And the last line is just a WIFOM mess.
You're saying budja can't be scum because scum wouldn't be so sloppy. Yeah right.
I think it's important to make a distinction between the two, since townies can easily and unintentionally do things which are anti-town.

Scum actively try to avoid appearing anti-town - I've found this to be universal. To say my comment is "a WIFOM
mess
" is something of an exaggeration.

Ice9 wrote:
Spolium wrote:I'm not sure that this is a fair question. When trying to provoke discussion, it's impossible to determine exactly
what

might
And you just keep going on the budja cover-up
, fielding a question for him by means of trying to get it disqualified. What you've essentially said here is that budja can't answer this question without implicating himself, so he shouldn't answer it at all.
Not quite. My point was that he couldn't answer the question in a meaningful way, nor could anyone. He had already explained his motives as being "to apply pressure" and "to spark discussion", so the only way he could expand upon this would be to guess how a group of individuals (most of whom he hasn't played with before) would react to either of these. He would basically be guessing, and be open to criticism not in the sense that he would be implicated, but in that there would be no "right" answer to give.

Ice9 wrote:
Spolium wrote:Don't get me wrong - I'd like to see a fuller explanation from Budja too. I'm just aware of the fact that he made plays like this as a townie in another game; he seemed to be wishy-washy and vague, was the prime suspect for an entire day, came ridiculously close to a lynching and ended up being the guy who zeroed in on the scum.
So
what you're trying to tell me is that budja looks scummy
No, I don't think he looks particularly scummy. Where did you get that idea?
Ice9 wrote:
but he's actually secretly the best player we have
so we shouldn't lynch him. Well,
at least you're getting creative in your protection now.
My argument was that in my experience Budja has played like this as town, and to say that he's proven himself perceptive and capable where necessary is a far cry from claiming he's the best player we have.

I
really
don't like this. Your flagrant misrepresentation of my arguments (not to mention loaded language - see the bold text in the above quotes) concerns me a great deal. Aggressive play is one thing, but it looks like you're just casting suspicion around in the hopes that something will stick (not to mention throwing your vote at an existing case without contributing anything of substance).

Oh, and this seems relevant as well:
Ice9 wrote:WolfBlitzer's prolonged absence in the face of my suspicion is mighty convenient for him. He seems to have dropped off of everybody's radar altogether.
This was the last game in which WolfBlitzer posted (on 31/01/09), and
he hasn't posted elsewhere since then
, even in his other active game.

This is a ridiculously insidious way to drum up suspicion against someone.

WHOOPS I GUESS I'M PROTECTING WOLFBITZER NOW TOO, RIGHT?

Unvote, Vote: Ice9
Spolium
Spolium
Goon
Spolium
Goon
Goon

Post Post #74 (ISO) » Thu Feb 05, 2009 2:39 am

Post by Spolium »

EBWOP:
Spolium wrote:This is a ridiculously insidious way to drum up suspicion against someone.
Omit "ridiculously" from the above. It's a relic from my initial draft and doesn't really make sense in the current context.

Return to “Completed Mini Normal Games”