Newbie Game 720 -- Game Over!

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
jayfin3
jayfin3
Goon
jayfin3
Goon
Goon

Post Post #350 (ISO) » Sat Jan 24, 2009 7:03 pm

Post by jayfin3 »

Good job guys, though I'm suprised at how long I lasted, considering:

1)The deadline that Yaw set was overdue two days. You could naturally assume that was because trex was a power role that need to make a move, and hadn't, even though Yaw told me he would have done it anyways, it was still pretty scummy.

2)trex on day 1 was scummy.

I really had no hope of winning once Day 2 started. I asked to fill in for trex before I had read the full game, and then hit myself once i realized (before I got the PM) that trex was mafia. Hehe, i was sure I was screwed then.

Oh well. Good job :)
I am good looking
jayfin3
jayfin3
Goon
jayfin3
Goon
Goon

Post Post #351 (ISO) » Sat Jan 24, 2009 7:03 pm

Post by jayfin3 »

ps-this is an extremely short game. Last game i was in, Day 1 went to 20 pages, Day 2 went to 40 or something. Craziness
I am good looking
jayfin3
jayfin3
Goon
jayfin3
Goon
Goon

Post Post #352 (ISO) » Sat Jan 24, 2009 7:08 pm

Post by jayfin3 »

Charrat's decision not to claim Doc was interesting, i agree. IMO, it was a good idea, because if I had NOT been mafia, he could still keep magisterrain alive, because haveing a clear alive is always good.

Also, there was no real need to come out, since he was never really in the spotlight at all.
I am good looking
Yaw
Yaw
Yawesome
Yaw
Yawesome
Yawesome

Post Post #353 (ISO) » Sat Jan 24, 2009 7:09 pm

Post by Yaw »

Well, with point 1, I would have done the same thing were T-Rex town. I've been in games where it's possible to conclude stuff about players because they flaked through a night, so I'm making it a point to try to ensure a full complement in every newbie game to avoid that kind of thing happening. It just happened in this case that letting T-Rex go unreplaced would have proven him guilty, rather than proven a town role innocent. Neither case is good for a game of this size.

Though in the future, it's probably worth my putting those intentions into the front post so it doesn't look like I'm manipulating stuff to help scum. Point taken.
Success breeds suspicion
qwints
qwints
Mafia Scum
qwints
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #354 (ISO) » Sat Jan 24, 2009 7:33 pm

Post by qwints »

I didn't like the decision by the doc not to claim while I was reading the claim. It made me doubt whether magis was really a cop after he said he was blocked. Overall, the play in the game was fairly solid.

insane, I was really impressed by your aggression in this game.
Charrat
Charrat
Townie
Charrat
Townie
Townie

Post Post #355 (ISO) » Sat Jan 24, 2009 9:08 pm

Post by Charrat »

I didn't want to claim doctor unless magisterrain or I were about to be lynched.
If I claimed Day 3, I figured I would get roleblocked and magisterrain would be killed. In either case, we would have one townie on Day 4 claiming to have a role, but mag's roleclaim would be a lot easier to believe than mine, so I thought it was better to stay hush.
Azhrei wrote:And Charrat! You didn't lose this time, and you got scum. Lol, you dirty liar!
Its a mafiascum miracle! ;)
Play [url=http://www.war-facts.com/?p=15465&i=h1]WARRING FACTIONS[/url], a notoriously addictive free strategy game played in a browser OR an utterly complex and unforgiving real-time strategy.
magisterrain
magisterrain
Goon
magisterrain
Goon
Goon

Post Post #356 (ISO) » Sun Jan 25, 2009 2:40 am

Post by magisterrain »

jayfin3 wrote:Good job guys, though I'm suprised at how long I lasted, considering:

1)The deadline that Yaw set was overdue two days. You could naturally assume that was because trex was a power role that need to make a move, and hadn't, even though Yaw told me he would have done it anyways, it was still pretty scummy.

2)trex on day 1 was scummy.

I really had no hope of winning once Day 2 started. I asked to fill in for trex before I had read the full game, and then hit myself once i realized (before I got the PM) that trex was mafia. Hehe, i was sure I was screwed then.

Oh well. Good job :)
re: pt 1-when yaw extended the deadline i had a hunch t-rex must be either mafia or doctor, so thats why i investigated him. of course i didnt get a result, so it didnt work out very well.

benmage was acting pretty scummy on day 2 and probably could have been lynched without my claiming. however i guess i wanted to hurry things along a bit and wanted to make sure i was alive during day 3 (assuming there was a doctor to protect me) if i had gotten benmage lynched without claiming i felt i would be nk'ed.

jayfin, you did a terrific job replacing trex.
popsofctown: which makes me notice you have no sig. get one. you could do a quote.
jayfin3
jayfin3
Goon
jayfin3
Goon
Goon

Post Post #357 (ISO) » Sun Jan 25, 2009 3:48 am

Post by jayfin3 »

I am good looking
Charrat
Charrat
Townie
Charrat
Townie
Townie

Post Post #358 (ISO) » Sun Jan 25, 2009 7:01 am

Post by Charrat »

I kicked myself day 2 because I was soooo close to protecting LongShanks that night. I ended up protecting magisterrain, but I don't remember why. =)
Play [url=http://www.war-facts.com/?p=15465&i=h1]WARRING FACTIONS[/url], a notoriously addictive free strategy game played in a browser OR an utterly complex and unforgiving real-time strategy.
Yaw
Yaw
Yawesome
Yaw
Yawesome
Yawesome

Post Post #359 (ISO) » Sun Jan 25, 2009 9:10 am

Post by Yaw »

With the doc thing, I think the key was that magisterrain claimed on day 3 to get no result. That meant he had to have been roleblocked, which meant that if he were honest about being cop, there had to be a doc. So as people found out, not claiming doc in this situation cast doubt on his cop claim -- if there wasn't a doc in the game, he couldn't have been roleblocked because there'd be no roleblocker.

The way I saw claiming doc in that situation, if Charrat claims doc the remaining scum has a choice. If they counterclaim, they're screwed because you just lynch one of the duplicates day 3 and the other on day 4 for a town win. So scum has to claim townie. That means there's three townie claims left, with 2 chances to lynch correctly, so town wins 2/3 of the time based only on probabilities. As town, I probably take those odds.

Then again, I haven't worked out the consequences of claiming townie as doc in that situation, besides that it's more swingy a situation because it introduces doubt into the cop claim. I could see situations in which it really pays off, and situations in which it backfires horribly.
Success breeds suspicion
Benmage
Benmage
Survivor
Benmage
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #360 (ISO) » Sun Jan 25, 2009 2:42 pm

Post by Benmage »

Good game, I screwed up big time being new to this arena..fighting against a cop who investigated you is difficult heh. I wish Rex didn't go inactive. I was trying to contact him to turn against me to not seem so scummy, oh well..good game
"ITT Benmage is making Shakespeare look cool. I need to bring you to my high school." -Vi
"If i must blantantly follow somone a player cannot do better than blindly following benmage" - tubby216
insanepenguin02
insanepenguin02
Goon
insanepenguin02
Goon
Goon

Post Post #361 (ISO) » Sun Jan 25, 2009 3:10 pm

Post by insanepenguin02 »

I agree that the doc not claiming was interesting. If you would have claimed, I wouldn't have looked so scummy in that last day!! lol. I was so skeptical of mag being cop because nobody else had claimed a power role so I was really looking to not believe it, especially after saying that you had been roleblocked, mag.

jay, you did a great job coming into the position that you did. trex was EXTREMELY scummy and you came into a bad position.
Vamparific
Vamparific
Vote Magnet
Vamparific
Vote Magnet
Vote Magnet

Post Post #362 (ISO) » Tue Feb 03, 2009 6:39 am

Post by Vamparific »

Yaw wrote:
The Vamparific thing from day 1...I actually had the listmod look into his IC status, just because someone with a habit of being lynched fairly quickly on day 1 might not be someone we want to put out there as an example of good play. Though with that said, I did appreciate his being in this game. It was worthwhile in that he made the point very well that strange play, and even illogical play, does not necessarily mean the person doing it is scum.
i never wished to be a IC anyway..
Vel-Rahn Koon
Vel-Rahn Koon
Virginia's Trump
Vel-Rahn Koon
Virginia's Trump
Virginia's Trump

Post Post #363 (ISO) » Thu May 14, 2009 3:37 am

Post by Vel-Rahn Koon »

Last post.
The Newbie Queue ALWAYS needs ICs and Mods!

Are you willing to help out? Check the Queue title to see what roles we need filled!

Return to “The Road to Rome [Newbie Games]”